POR creepy rooms... question about the royal rooms!

JLO

Mouseketeer
In looking over the refurbished room pictures from POR, I get a really creepy feeling with the mansion regular rooms. Those weird pictures on the headboard, the haunted house looking chairs. Does anyone else feel that way?:scared1:

On the other hand, I love the Royal rooms... but, I have a question. Those rooms look so much more lush and pretty... except for that headboard! What does it look like without all the special effects? Can you turn it off? I love POR and I think we're going to stay there after our November cruise. I want to stay in the mansions and those other rooms creep me out, So I'm thinking of getting a royal room. Any opinions?

I didn't think they actually created any HM-themed rooms - I thought that was just a plan/thought/whatever.

I didn't think they actually created any HM-themed rooms - I thought that was just a plan/thought/whatever.

As far as I know, they either didn't make it, or made one room that's like a gazillion dollars a night.

I think the OP was just stating that the regular Magnolia Bend rooms creep her out, not that they are actually styled in a HM decor.

OP:
I haven't stayed at POR, but want to. I personally don't really like the look of the Royal Rooms (as seen in the pictures, any way). They look dark (as in not enough light) to me. I actually like the regular Magnolia Bend rooms. They don't remind me of a haunted house at all. But, I'm a history nut (that's what my degree is in, lol) and I love "old" things.

I think the OP was just stating that the regular Magnolia Bend rooms creep her out, not that they are actually styled in a HM decor.

OP:
I haven't stayed at POR, but want to. I personally don't really like the look of the Royal Rooms (as seen in the pictures, any way). They look dark (as in not enough light) to me. I actually like the regular Magnolia Bend rooms. They don't remind me of a haunted house at all. But, I'm a history nut (that's what my degree is in, lol) and I love "old" things.

Yes, you understood me correctly! I'm not sure about the royal rooms myself... the headboard is odd, but my DD10 thinks they're cool so maybe that will help me answer the question!

Sorry- I confused "mansions" (at POR) and "haunted-looking" with the once-proposed Haunted Mansion themed rooms!

Yes, you understood me correctly! I'm not sure about the royal rooms myself... the headboard is odd, but my DD10 thinks they're cool so maybe that will help me answer the question!

I didn't like the pics of the headboards either, but we got one of the new rooms in Acadian House last Aug and really loved it. Much more upscale then the old rooms. And the new bathrooms are wonderful

We're staying in the Royal Rooms in December ... can't wait!!!

The headboards have a button at the side which you press to turn the fireworks/display on and after 30secs, it turns off. Not sure what they look like when they're off but check this site out www.portorleans.org they have plenty of pics of the rooms so it should be helpful.

Good luck!

It wasn't until I re-read the OP that I realized the haunted house reference was to the chairs and the painting on the headboard. I honestly can't see anything creepy in the room at all. The chairs are reproduction 18th or early 19th century and the headboard paintings show landscape views of a southern style mansion or one of the bridges. Check out more of the room details here:

http://www.portorleans.org/gallery-POR-MB-Rooms.php

I realize that preferences for room decor is a very personal thing, but I actually prefer the regular mansion rooms to the royal rooms. They are more traditionally and quietly themed. The RRs would be great for someone with children, I think; but they're a little too much for me.

I liked the decor in the old rooms, but I love, love, love the refurbished rooms.

Funny, green and blue are my favorite colors, so it fit me just nicely. The new sinks are fabulous and the room is overall so, so cozy.

We stayed in Acadian House last December, not two weeks after it was done. I loved it!

I am taking a family and two friends this year and they are just gushing over the rooms; they cannot wait.

Those are beautiful! That's the first time I have seen pics of the new POR rooms...I LOVE them! Much better (IMO) than the way they were...which reminded me of my grandma's house, lol!

Hmmm...I think another trip to POR will be in order!

We stayed in them last month for two nights - we had two rooms connecting. I have done the Pirate room also at CBR (and wasn't that impressed). I was not expecting to be wowed by the Royal Rooms but I was very impressed. I do not like dark either. I did not feel it was dark in the least. The one thing I did not like about the room is the same thing I have never liked about the rooms (the fact you practically step in the bathtub to shut the bathroom door.)

The headboards are not one all the time. In fact they are never on unless you turn them on and it is only for a brief period. I wish you could set the time for a bit longer.

I absolutely want the coat rack (it is beautiful). The genie lamp faucet, Aladdin's rug, etc...LOVED the room and its furnishings.

Liz

We stayed in the RGR in March and we really liked the rooms and our DD's LOVED them. I think AKL, WL and even POLY seemed more darker than the RGR. JMO:) Our DD's loved the fiber optic headboard fireworks, every night we had to turn it on before going to sleep. I rigged it to stay on until we shut it off, because we thought 30 seconds was not long enough. The headboard is a picture of the bayou.

headboard.jpg

I loved the look of the new mansion rooms.

I've booked myself bounceback in a Royal Room and can't wait to check it out in person. I read that there is a button that turns the effects on and off.

I'm curious about that too. Since its a button mechanism, I was thinking you could put some folded up tissues on the button and then tape it down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter