POR - Construction

The heart of hurricane season is the most "off-season" that you can get. Families are caught-up with the children going back-to-school. January, when we typically go, is another light time of year, and there are significant maintenance then too, but by mid-February, we're back into Regular Season. So Disney's got about six weeks in late August and September, and about six weeks in January and early February, and that's it, for significant maintenance activities.

bicker said:
The heart of hurricane season is the most "off-season" that you can get. Families are caught-up with the children going back-to-school. January, when we typically go, is another light time of year, and there are significant maintenance then too, but by mid-February, we're back into Regular Season. So Disney's got about six weeks in late August and September, and about six weeks in January and early February, and that's it, for significant maintenance activities.
I'll keep that in mind, thanks!

mspdieselbear said:
FYI,
We just stayed at POR from 08/25 to 09/01. We stayed in Bldng. 95 (Partierre Place). They had people on the roof the whole time we were there. I was not happy when we walked out from under the bldng and a worker threw a ladder off the roof to the ground...scared the crap out of Dw and me. They were working on the eaves trough. They were using a sawzall (reciprocating saw) on the metal. Metal shavings were coming off the roof blowing on to the sidewalks....
The grounds were all tore up around the building where they had been driving the lift trucks....

We really like it there, but were not impressed at all on this trip.....it was not crowded at all. Why not close the bldng. complete the job move on to the next.
Wow, I'm not a fan of Por after my stayed there but this wouldn't have help either.

mspdieselbear said:
FYI,
We just stayed at POR from 08/25 to 09/01. We stayed in Bldng. 95 (Partierre Place). They had people on the roof the whole time we were there. I was not happy when we walked out from under the bldng and a worker threw a ladder off the roof to the ground...scared the crap out of Dw and me. They were working on the eaves trough. They were using a sawzall (reciprocating saw) on the metal. Metal shavings were coming off the roof blowing on to the sidewalks....
The grounds were all tore up around the building where they had been driving the lift trucks....

We really like it there, but were not impressed at all on this trip.....it was not crowded at all. Why not close the bldng. complete the job move on to the next.
That would have scared the heck out of me too!!

OhioDisneyLover said:
I called Disney this morning regarding the construction at POR. I tried the regular 1-407-W-DISNEY line first. They said that they "were not aware" of any construction or recent construction and that the resorts normally notify them of any construction.

I then called the resort directly. The person I talked to had to put me on hold and ask because she was also not aware of any recent construction on the property. She came back and said "why yes, there are refurbishments going on and this will last for the next few months." :(

By the way, the tower at the main lodge was being worked on also. It looked like they were putting a coat of paint on it. I checked my photos, I dont have one showing it... It was scaffolding and tarped all around the very top. Very easy to see from the marina side. Not a big deal, just upkeep. It was up the whole week from 08/25 to 09/01....
We still love POR, just one bad experience....I give 3 strikes.

Closing buildings is impractical for minor repairs. It is very complicated to structure room assignments so that a full building gets completely checked-out-of on a specific day. It adds yet another logistical cost to something which isn't supposed to be a major undertaking, a cost which is no where near recompensed by the increase in value perceived by guests, reflected in the willingness to pay higher room rates.

We are staying at POR come Nov 11th, requested AB section.
Did you notice construction in AB section too ?? Or was it the Mansion Buildings ??
I too would be disappointed to see a torn up area.....
Thanks for the heads-up !!

mspdieselbear said:
FYI,

Sorry about your experience. The ladder thing would have given me a heart attack.

bellenbuzz said:
We are staying at POR come Nov 11th, requested AB section.
Did you notice construction in AB section too ?? Or was it the Mansion Buildings ??
I too would be disappointed to see a torn up area.....
Thanks for the heads-up !!

Yes, the mansion buildings....I didnt go through AB section. The grass was really tore up, they had been driving hi-lo trucks all over....then the rain came, it was a mud pit!!! Building 95, area between quiet pool and building.

We just returned from POFQ and we also had minor construction going on in our area. Building 4 had a whole section closed off with temporary fencing because they were painting the exterior of the building. Unfortunately we were on ground level and the closest room to the section closed off so the temporary fencing was right outside of our window. The paint fumes were AWFUL. We asked for a room change but we had already done so from a room in Building 1 and they told us that there was no other available rooms at POFQ due to many sections closed off for renovation. I also saw a large section closed off in Building 2 facing over the River.

On another note: Our room was not very clean, mold on the shower curtain, the bathroom floor did not look like it had been washed in weeks, and both bedspreads had to be replaced because they were filthy. One had visible melted chocolate all over it. (I hope it was chocolate...EEWWWWW!!!)
I lifted the bedskirt to find a missing slipper and there was peanut shells, toenail clippings and garbage all around the beds but not seen if you did not lift the bedskirt. I checked everyday to see if the housekeeping vacuumed....In 10 days not once did the vacuum visit our room. It was quite frustrating however we did not complain (we should have) because we had already complained about our first room in Building 1 and then about the paint fumes in Building 4....At this point we just let it go and enjoyed our vacation.

This was our 12th trip to DisneyWorld and the first time that we have ever had a negative resort experience. However all other aspects of our trip were amazing.

POR is our least favorite resort. During our stay, we experienced terrible bus service and housekeeping didn't seem to keep our room very clean. We haven't been back since.

we are here now and there are alot of tree cutting going on the last 2 days,but to be honest its not bothered us at all as we are out most of the time ,the bus service is very poor and the housekeeping is different every day ~{still leave $3 every day,not sure what to leave as we come from england do we give more? }anyway not seen any construction work on buildings {we are in block 18}

richtomas said:
we are here now and there are alot of tree cutting going on the last 2 days,but to be honest its not bothered us at all as we are out most of the time, the bus service is very poor and the housekeeping is different every day ~ still leave $3 every day, not sure what to leave as we come from england. do we give more? anyway not seen any construction work on buildings {we are in block 18}
I agree about the bus service and housekeeping.

photonut said:
We just returned from POFQ and we also had minor construction going on in our area. Building 4 had a whole section closed off with temporary fencing because they were painting the exterior of the building. Unfortunately we were on ground level and the closest room to the section closed off so the temporary fencing was right outside of our window. The paint fumes were AWFUL. We asked for a room change but we had already done so from a room in Building 1 and they told us that there was no other available rooms at POFQ due to many sections closed off for renovation. I also saw a large section closed off in Building 2 facing over the River.

On another note: Our room was not very clean, mold on the shower curtain, the bathroom floor did not look like it had been washed in weeks, and both bedspreads had to be replaced because they were filthy. One had visible melted chocolate all over it. (I hope it was chocolate...EEWWWWW!!!)
I lifted the bedskirt to find a missing slipper and there was peanut shells, toenail clippings and garbage all around the beds but not seen if you did not lift the bedskirt. I checked everyday to see if the housekeeping vacuumed....In 10 days not once did the vacuum visit our room. It was quite frustrating however we did not complain (we should have) because we had already complained about our first room in Building 1 and then about the paint fumes in Building 4....At this point we just let it go and enjoyed our vacation.

This was our 12th trip to DisneyWorld and the first time that we have ever had a negative resort experience. However all other aspects of our trip were amazing.
EEWWWW is right!!

We just got back from POR. Our trip was 8/29 thru 9/5 and we were in AB Building 27. We had no construction going on though we did see the work around the water wheel at the main building. It wasn't turning at all the whole time we were there and there was a small fence around the mechanical "box" that actually controls it.

Some days the crowds were very light and others were very heavy but all in all it was a great trip. Our room was cleaned very well but perhaps it was because we befriended our maid. :teeth:

I just called the front desk at POR and asked about the renovations because we are checking in on Sunday :cool1: , and we've requested Magnolia Terrace. I was told the renovations are currently at Alligator Bayou and over at POFQ.

I would imagine that they don't work on the property before 7am and after 5pm right? It's got to get done some time, but I'm sure Disney tries their best to accomodate everyone and does so during "off hours," (when people are at the parks during the day).

We're heading down on Friday...hope it's going to be ok. :)

kribit said:
I would imagine that they don't work on the property before 7am and after 5pm right? It's got to get done some time, but I'm sure Disney tries their best to accomodate everyone and does so during "off hours," (when people are at the parks during the day).
You hope they wouldn't.

We are in alligator bayou at this moment and they been cutting trees down for the last three days ,there has been alot of work by us ,the only problem we have is that they have the shut the pool down by us ,but it only takes 5 minutes to get to the other quiet pool and by the way the workmen have just finshed and its 4.58.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter