POR Buses really that bad?

We have visited POR four times and have never found the buses to be a problem. Yes, they do drive around the resort and yes they do occasionally go via POFQ first but we would also often choose to get off at POFQ call in at Scat Cat bar for a drink and enjoy the wonderful walk back to our room. Obviously leaving a park at the end of the night (especially after extra magic hours) expect a wait regardless of your resort, but you've enjoyed more time in the magic so continue to soak up the atmosphere.

You see, I hate having queues at the bus stops. I think they are a huge negative. Give me a resort that has covered seating any day!

Well, there is that! Can't they do both? I have seen some pretty nasty 'discussions' at bus stops as to who was there the longest! After waiting at the Kidani stop for 22 (yes, I timed it....I usually do)...the bus to DHS was just pulling away as we walked up. We were the only people at the stop....about 8 or so mins later a family walked up. They sat down. My friend and I were standing up, leaning on a post. Others slowly arrived. The DHS bus came into sight...my friend and I moved away from the post (which was about 3' from the yellow line), as others started moving forward. As we boarded the bus, a woman who arrived after we did, with that family started screeching that they had been waiting almost 45 mins and why did others think they should board before them! The driver said nothing as we boarded. The woman continued voicing her opinion. Now, we had been standing there for almost 10 mins when she arrived, and the bus came after we had waited 22 mins.....you do the math. I told the driver that that family had been waiting less than 15 mins....he just rolled his eyes.
Pretty much the same thing at POR in June. My dd and I were standing, waiting, as the bus pulled up. You would have thought they were handing out free money on that bus! We were literally shoved aside so people could get on and get a seat.

Love the atmosphere and decor at PORS, but due to the terrible bus situation we have vowed to never stay there again. On the other hand though, love POFQ and found their busses to be great!! We went in June and only one time did we share a bus with RS.

But majority of resorts are tough with busses as they all have multiple stops and some stop at different hotels.

Pop century has always been good for us but if you are looking for a moderate I would stay at POFQ

We've stayed at POR several times, and we have NEVER had a problem with the buses. We were there last November and never waited more than 10 minutes for a bus. One time it was busy and people had to stand, so we opted to wait for the next bus and got a seat! That was our choice. We are seniors and need to sit if we can due to health reasons. I know that the bus system is much maligned for POR but our experience has been good. I think that we don't mind waiting if the bus is too crowded for us. We go at rope drop and get to the parks very early, so that helps too. Don't be afraid of the buses. I think Disney is doing a good job now as they have a CM at the bus stops to monitor the buses and to call in other buses if needed. They also post the wait times til the next bus at the main depot. Hope this helps;)

Our family has always had real luck with resort busses. We've stayed at both POR & POFQ and never experienced what many have, our experience at both has always been great.

Our only negative was on our trip this past December (2nd thru 6th staying at Pop) busses coming back to the resort from the parks (MK/EPCOT/HS) were packed every evening. We often waited for the second or third bus and still had to stand most nights.

Our experience at POR was great. We thought the buses were fine and though on occasion it got full and made several stops it was really not a big deal. We were there in November and POFQ shared buses that week too. Still no major problems. Last oct we stayed at WL and for being a Deluxe resort I was a little disappointed in the buses. I felt we waited longer there than POR and we shared with GF and FW. The only up side was we were always picked up first. We used the boat to MK because it was so much better! That being said it was an enjoyable trip buses and all. I think the best way to deal is go in with low expectations and maybe you will be pleasantly surprised, oh, just remembered..the worst was getting to DD from both places! It took forever to get a bus and then the ride was really long. Allow plenty of time if you have ADRs!!

t's not that the bus transportation at POR is bad.....it's just that bus service at Pop and AofA is so much better. :goodvibes

I take this back after witnessing a lot of angry people getting on the bus at POR yesterday. Many people from multiple stops were complaining that they waited 30-40 minutes for an Epcot bus.

You see, I hate having queues at the bus stops. I think they are a huge negative. Give me a resort that has covered seating any day!

I'm not sure you'd feel that way if you were waiting for a bus to MK this morning from POFQ. We couldn't even get near the covered area. The covered area was packed and there was a line forming outside the queue that we got in line for, though nobody was really sure what the line was for. :eek: :rotfl:

We were there last August and yes, the bus situation was horrible almost every day at every park. We will not go back!

This year we stayed at CBR, but took one morning to go to POR (my DS loved the gift shop and the mansions). The story goes that we took the CBR bus to Hollywood Studios and walked over to the POR bus stop. When we got there a couple was already waiting, but they were the only ones in that line besides us. Time went by and more people arrived at the POR bus stop, the gentleman that was ahead of us started to complain and told me that he had already been there for 20 minutes before we showed up. More time passed, and still no bus.......the gentleman then went and told one of the transportation CM's that he had been waiting for 45 minutes at this point. The CM got on his walkie talkie and said "Port Orleans--extended wait time".......... (Even my son was getting antsy and said that if the bus did not come within 10 minutes that we should forget about it.) Within 10 minutes a bus was at the stop. All in all, we waited about 35 minutes for a bus in the middle of the morning. The people ahead of us waited 55 minutes and that man was LIVID....he kept saying that someone was going to know about this!!! :confused3

When we were leaving the resort about an hour later, I noticed that they had a monitor (at the main bus stop near the gift shop) which told the arrival times of the buses and where they were going to. We were headed back to HS and the monitor said the arrival of the bus would be at 1:07pm. We waited about 10 minutes and sure enough, right around 1:07 (give or take a minute) the bus arrived.

It seems like Disney is doing something, but I think there are still problems with the POR buses.

The bus situation is the main reason we would never stay at POR again. We have stayed at a number of WDW resorts, and the POR busses were the worst by a mile. I wouldn't even care if it had been standing room only. I ride public transportation and end up standing all the time. The issue was that the busses just didn't arrive. We waited for ridiculous amount of time for busses in both directions. We were staying at POR, but we ended up taking the POFQ bus and walking several times, because the lines for POR at MK were so long, and there was no bus in sight. I don't recall waiting less than 15 minutes for a bus the entire time we were there.

We liked the food court and Boatright's, but the rooms were just okay. If we were to pick a moderate, we much preferred Coronado Springs. The busses there were fine.

for every time I've had to wait for a bus, thee are just as many times that the bus was there when I walked up to it. POR has a number of stops so it seems longer than it is.

I am hoping that the buses are not too bad in November. I am driving so I will have my car in the event that the buses are packed but not so great for the people that dont have that option and rely on the buses.

There are definitely times when it seems like everyone on property is staying at POR but by and large I think they do a decent job.

I'm not sure you'd feel that way if you were waiting for a bus to MK this morning from POFQ. We couldn't even get near the queue. The covered area was packed and there was a line forming outside the queue that we got in line for, though nobody was really sure what the line was for. :eek: :rotfl:

Are you calling the depot the queue? They do not have queues at the moderate or deluxe resorts.

And I have stayed at all types of Disney resorts, during slow times of year and during peak seasons, and I do prefer having the covered seating areas over the chain queues.

Are you calling the depot the queue? They do not have queues at the moderate or deluxe resorts.

And I have stayed at all types of Disney resorts, during slow times of year and during peak seasons, and I do prefer having the covered seating areas over the chain queues.

Yes. Sorry. I meant the depot. We couldn't get near it. It was packed.

The point is, queues were forming and it was definitely not tranquil or relaxing.

POR's transportation is the one and only reason I wouldn't stay there again unless I had a car of my own. By the time I factor in the costs associated with a rental, I might as well stay at a deluxe with much better options for getting to the parks.

The resort itself was lovely but the buses killed it for me.

POR's transportation is the one and only reason I wouldn't stay there again unless I had a car of my own. By the time I factor in the costs associated with a rental, I might as well stay at a deluxe with much better options for getting to the parks.

The resort itself was lovely but the buses killed it for me.

Funny thing, if you are talking about bus service, the deluxe resorts have the worst of all of the resorts. They are all pretty close to one of the parks, and that kind of balances it out. But if you are talking bus service, the deluxe resort service stinks.

Funny thing, if you are talking about bus service, the deluxe resorts have the worst of all of the resorts. They are all pretty close to one of the parks, and that kind of balances it out. But if you are talking bus service, the deluxe resort service stinks.

I agree. If the monorail isn't running at full schedule, Poly transportation is horrific. Plus, Poly, for instance, is twice as much as POR for the standard view at both. A rental car won't cost >$200/day, which is about the price difference between the two.

I am hoping that the buses are not too bad in November. I am driving so I will have my car in the event that the buses are packed but not so great for the people that dont have that option and rely on the buses.
Agreed...1st stay at POR coming up November 10-16th...first time not at Poly but doing this Xmas trip on a budget!!! Hope I'm not disappointed

We we're there in July and never had a problem. I think we waited 15 minutes at the most one day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter