POR Buses - Are they THAT Bad?

I was there Feb 27-March 6th this year and had nothing but great service. I didn't have to wait more than 15 minutes ever. I stayed at POP before and I liked POR a lot better.

The main bus stop outside the entrance is not the first stop? I am glad someone told me that. That might influence what building I want to stay in. This is the same way at CSR. They pick up at #1 last, but when we were there it was so uncrowded, it didn't matter.

The main bus stop outside the entrance is not the first stop? I am glad someone told me that. That might influence what building I want to stay in. This is the same way at CSR. They pick up at #1 last, but when we were there it was so uncrowded, it didn't matter.
At CSR, the park buses stop at bus stop 2 first, then go to 3, 4 and 1. DtD and park exit buses stop at bus stop 1 first, then go 2, 3 and 4. There is a sign at the bus stops explaining why this is done. CSR does this so that guest can hop on a bus to get to the main building or get on at the main building and go to the back of the resort.

WE STAYED IN APRIL OF 2005 FOR A WEEK AND MAY OF 2006 FOR A WEEK AND THE BUS SERVICE WAS FIND. YOU JUST HAVE TO KEEP IN MIND THAT EVERYONE IS TRYING TO GET TO THE SAME SPOT AT THE SAME TIME. THE ONLY BAD WAIT WE HAD WAS LEAVING MK AT CLOSING ONE NIGHT. (REFER BACK TO MY PREVIOUS STATEMENT) IF YOU GET FRUSTRATED JUST REMIND YOURSELF YOUR AT DISNEY WORLD!:banana:

I find this reassuring. I am hoping to go to WDW in August (missing Free Dining unfortunately), and was originally planning to stay at CSR where my daughter and I had a great trip last June. We loved the resort, but the bus transportation was particularly great there - uncrowded buses and never a wait.

I am considering POR for our August trip because I think that the resort may be shadier and cooler - and because I want to try something new. My only consideration is the bus service.

This thread is full of good info to help me make my decision.

LOL - isn't it funny how much thinking we put into the choice of a resort at WDW!! I've had four trips and they've all been great in different ways! I should stop worrying so much!

Our first on site stay was POR march 2006 and the buses were awesome. Hardly little to no wait, Then we did CBR in Oct 2006 and the bus service was horrible, we had very long waits. I really think it is hit or miss. I had heard Disney was working to improve the bus service by having a better way to monitor the bus routes to improve the waits. Now depending on which park we are going to we may drive to save time. The MK is the worst line after the fire works, if you can avoid that line you'll be doing good or stay at a MK resort and use the Monorail, there is almost no line for that.

Uh......isn't that the very thread we're on? :confused3
Yes but the mods merged the two threads together. I didn't originally post it here, a mod added it. Not sure why they are doing that of late. If someone posts the same question, the threads are getting merged. Thanks for checking up on me though binky. I know how much you like to follow me around on the boards. ;) If you go to the bottom of page 2 or top of page three, you will see the original post by Tinkerkristen has been "moved" and when you click on it, it now brings you to this post. Hope that's okay with you too LisaNJ25.

Yes but the mods merged the two threads together. I didn't originally post it here, a mod added it. Not sure why they are doing that of late. If someone posts the same question, the threads are getting merged.

OK, then that makes more sense....I didn't know that.

Thanks for checking up on me though binky. I know how much you like to follow me around on the boards.

You and your many alter-egos!

If you go to the bottom of page 2 or top of page three, you will see the original post by Tinkerkristen has been "moved" and when you click on it, it now brings you to this post. Hope that's okay with you too LisaNJ25.

It's OK with me, and I'm sure it's OK with Lisa, too!

We're staying at POR in June. We have to small children that will definitely need to ride around in a stroller. Originally we had planned on bringing one with us. But, the more I hear about the crowded bus situation, the more I think it would be a better idea just to rent.

Yes but the mods merged the two threads together. I didn't originally post it here, a mod added it. Not sure why they are doing that of late. .

In this case that would be me. Usually I post a message indicating that I merge threads, I didn't this time. Woops my mistake!

Merging two threads with pretty much the exact same question -- keeps the confusion to a minimum and helps ensure all posters can find the information they need. ;)

Disney Davo said:
I had heard Disney was working to improve the bus service by having a better way to monitor the bus routes to improve the waits.

And yes... Disney is implementing a very fancy new GPS tracking system for all buses. This combined with real-time monitoring of bus stops via cameras.. will identify the hot spots that need buses and then in the next step as part of this phased program, buses will (eventually) be automatically routed with computerized messages to the drivers. So a bus that JUST left Pop and dropped off at Blizzard Beach might then proceed to All Star Sports and take guests to Epcot and then take departing Epcot guests to the Magic Kingdom. (for example)

What I think is even more interesting about the new system is that it will include Disney themed music AND 'audio spiels' (similar to the monorail spiel) for you to listen to which will be triggerred by the GPS location of the bus. So as you drive by Blizzard Beach, it might say "To our left of forward motion is Disney's Blizzard Beach Water Park featuring ...."

The audio programs will be slowly phased in over the next 12-18 weeks from now thru the end of June/July (pending any problems or bugs that might pop up). The full on GPS bus scheduling will kick in sometime later this year.

Thanks!

Knox

We stayed there in Sept. this past year & we had an awful experience with the buses. The worst of the problems we encountered coming back from the parks at closing time, where the lines at the POFQ/POR bus stop were much, much longer than any other resorts's bus stop-it generally took, on the average, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours to get back to the resort each night. :sad2: We also had other problems getting to the parks in the morning & a horrendous ride to DTD that we never reached our destination (Disney Quest), gave up & went back to the room. That was just our experience, which doesn't mean you will have a bad experience as well. Personally, though, if I ever stay here again (and that is a big IF), I would most definitely have a car on hand & drive to the parks!
2 hours? :scared1: That's crazy!! I may have to rethink my decision.

We stayed at POR last August and had no problems at all. They came about every 10 minutes.

A couple times at park closing we had to wait for the 2nd or 3rd bus, not always because we couldn't get, don't get me started here, let's just say my ONLY peeve about our tremendous trip last year was this:

At LEAST 3 times, dh & I (and our 5, 3, 2 & 3 month old) would be at the front of the bus line, more specifically so because we would wait for the next bus to ensure seating with the smallest ones, two strollers etc) and the bus would be coming, we had a super swift routine down, I'd hold the babies, he'd fold the strollers, the doors would open and people literally PUSH right past to get on. I couldn't believe it, ugh. We actually missed one bus again for this reason when we were only several people back in line.
This was NOT the buses fault however, but just inconsideration of others.

I must add at this point, that several times other awesome WDW'ers offered a helping hand which I am glad to be able to return when I see it would be a WDW kind of thing to do. :thumbsup2

Anyhow, sorry I just went off on a tangent, we did have no problems with the POR service. :thumbsup2

2 hours? :scared1: That's crazy!! I may have to rethink my decision.

When the parks are busy and closing time rolls around, the lines are long -- no matter WHAT resort you are staying at .. you need to be prepared for some waiting.

We've seen examples of people complaining about the buses no matter what the resort.

Personally, I make it a point to either leave BEFORE the crowds.. which means before Spectro AND Wishes at MK ... or to linger late enough that most of the crowd have dissipated.

I really think that 'bus strategy' should be part of any effective plan to tackle the parks. ;)

Knox

Sorry if this has been answered already, but is the bus waiting area covered? We will be there in July so I'm concerned about waiting in the sun. I know, it'll be hot wherever we're at, covered or not LOL!

We stayed at POR in December and I wasn't too thrilled with the idea of on-site transportation when my husband booked the trip but, honestly it really wasn't too awfully bad, some times were busier than others(pretty long line and they cram you in there like sardines lol) but, for the most part it wasn't as bad as I thought.buses come pretty frequently through the resort as well.

One thing worth noting -- if they are crammed in there like sardines.. you can always wait for the next bus.

We did that a couple of times on previous trips (not stayin at either PO location..) .. if the bus got jammed.. we'd politely allow others in line to get on if they wanted but we'd stand back and wait for the next bus.

This didn't seem to bother anyone.

Knox

Sorry if this has been answered already, but is the bus waiting area covered? We will be there in July so I'm concerned about waiting in the sun. I know, it'll be hot wherever we're at, covered or not LOL!

Yes. the depots are covered, with ceiling fans, I believe :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter