POR - booked a Royal Room but I have two boys! WWYD?

LglBlonde

DIS Veteran
While trip planning, I looked at all the room pics at POR and POFQ and fell in love with the look of the Royal Rooms. They just look so much more opulent than the regular rooms!

the boys will be ages 7 & 2 at time of trip. Two year old won't care. Loves Sophia, princesses, etc.

I showed my 6 yr old pics of the Royal ROom and he balked at the princesses' pictures. He "accidentally" saw the Pirate rooms at CBR pictures and loved them.

I do not want to stay at CBR. The pirate rooms are so far from everything. I think the giant skull/crossbones would scare the 2 yr old (who already says 5 x a day "I'm scared of pie-wats!" (pirates).

So right now I told the 6 yr old, I'd cover up the princessses, but I"m debating if I just need to move rooms or move resorts entirely! Ugh! what would you do?

Your kids will probably enjoy the resort - POR has great a great theme and a fun pool. Maybe consider moving to Magnolia Bend or Alligator Bayou? We stayed in the Bayou right by the second bus stop and that worked out really well for us.

Show him some pictures of the pool and the slide.

If you think the pirate room would scare your 2 year old I wouldn't move there. You can always move to a regular room at POR if you think it would be better.

Yeah, of course I could move to a plain room. But I dont personally like them as well. and after a trip 9 years ago, we stayed at POFQ but I loved the mansions and talked myself out of them and into POFQ instead. So I'm sort of set on the mansions.

this is our first ONSITE trip in 8 years and our kids first onsite EVER. I really wanted it to be more special than just a plain-jane looking room.

Call me a cynic, but since my kids aren't paying for the room, they don't get a whole lot of say as to what resort that room is located in.

It sounds like you have your heart set on a Royal Room regardless, since you seem to feel that the regular Mansion rooms are too "plain Jane". I'm sure that your son will enjoy POR once he is there. The concensus on several previous "Royal Room" threads seems to be that the kids notice the decor in the room for about the first 10 minutes that they are there, and then forget about it. So you should be fine.

Call me a cynic, but since my kids aren't paying for the room, they don't get a whole lot of say as to what resort that room is located in.

It sounds like you have your heart set on a Royal Room regardless, since you seem to feel that the regular Mansion rooms are too "plain Jane". I'm sure that your son will enjoy POR once he is there. The concensus on several previous "Royal Room" threads seems to be that the kids notice the decor in the room for about the first 10 minutes that they are there, and then forget about it. So you should be fine.

I've saved you a seat next to me on the Meanest Mother Ever bench. :) When I book our WDW trip I will consider other people's input but if I'm doing all the work there's a point at which I'm picking. If the OP wants a princess room, she should have it.

I'm considering staying at a RR at POR in November. I have 2 boys (10 and 6). They love all of the Disney movies (even the princess ones), so I don't think they'll care (the trip is a surprise so I don't plan on discussing it with them -- not that they get to make decisions on non-surprise trips either). I would feel bad dragging them to a princess ADR because I really don't think they'd like it -- they wouldn't complain, but why waste the money if they won't be into it -- however, I think they can indulge the lone woman of the household with a Royal Room. In fact, I think they'll actually like it.

I've saved you a seat next to me on the Meanest Mother Ever bench. :) When I book our WDW trip I will consider other people's input but if I'm doing all the work there's a point at which I'm picking. If the OP wants a princess room, she should have it.

I <3 You both! Thank you!!! I'm all stressing b/c if I'm changing I need to do it before tomorrow morning!

While trip planning, I looked at all the room pics at POR and POFQ and fell in love with the look of the Royal Rooms. They just look so much more opulent than the regular rooms!

You should stay with the rooms you want. There are about a million things at WDW that are fun and exciting and will make your seven year old happy. But this is for you. With two sons, you deserve to have some princesses in your life. :)

Not even sure why you'd tell your 6 year old that you are going to cover up the princesses. Most everything else you do is going to be for him, he can put up with a princess room for Mom. It's not too early for him to start learning that it isn't ALL about him.

You used the right word in your post...they are opulent. It's deep, rich ROYAL colors. It's not pink and princessy. I remember one picture of a few princesses (in their new Bratz-doll style, ICK) and one bigger picture of a princess, maybe a bit more. I also remember a picture of some princes (I believe it was a silhouette). And there's Aladdin stuff and Beauty/Beast stuff (on the carpet and on the wallpaper border up near the ceiling). Find the aladdin's lamp in the room (hint: in the bathroom if I'm not mistaken). It's royal.

The princess aspect of it is small. Don't worry about it, and tell your older son not to worry.

Oh hey, looks like DH took some pictures. I always forget about his pictures, LOL.

IMG_2069_zps35b78274.jpg

IMG_2070_zps308b0333.jpg

IMG_2071_zpsd9eb7a18.jpg

IMG_2072_zps430d7b89.jpg

The skull and crossbones in on a curtain at CBR, and you never *have to* use the curtains. Here is what the closed-curtains look like when you have all lights on in the room.

IMG_2899.jpg

And this is what you would want to avoid, if you switch to CBR. You do NOT want to have the lights off in the sleeping area, turn the light on in the vanity area and close the curtains. Because this is the effect.

IMG_2898.jpg

And that is 100% what you want to avoid with a skittish child who might suddenly wake up to that sight.

Then again, just came across a picture of the RR that might be startling to a munchkin...avoid this, too!

IMG_2073_zpsc32b0bbe.jpg

Bumbershoot, the last picture you posted made me :lmao:. It looks a little Haunted Mansion like. OP don't forget the fireworks in the headboards.

My 8 year old isn't a princess fan either and we stayed in a Royal Room in February. I didn't give him another option because I was taking him to Disney World and he's an 8 year old... it's not like I was asking him to sleep in a box in the parking lot.
He really liked the room, and we had a great trip. I certainly wouldn't offer to cover up anything.. honestly.. why cater to that? A very simple "You'll live" is all you need to say IMO.

I echo the comments by PP's. In addition to or instead of "you'll live with it", mention that pirate rooms are not available at this resort with finality in your voice. You should not be stressed out and changing resorts just before your deadline when you have done all the planning and have your heart set on a royal room. This is the resort you booked. No pirate rooms are available and standard rooms do not meet your needs. The end.

Bumbershoot, the last picture you posted made me :lmao:. It looks a little Haunted Mansion like.

It really does! I have no idea why anyone took that picture...

My 8 year old isn't a princess fan either and we stayed in a Royal Room in February. I didn't give him another option because I was taking him to Disney World and he's an 8 year old... it's not like I was asking him to sleep in a box in the parking lot.

:rotfl2::rotfl:

He really liked the room, and we had a great trip.

My son liked it, too. Actually, of the 3 of us, I liked it the least. That's why we're moving to a standard room for our October trip, because I just couldn't see the need to stay in the RR again. If I'd told DH and DS that I loved the room and we would stay there again, they would have been fine with it.

DS was 8 for our trip with the RR and was totally fine with the princess pictures, and was easily able to notice the prince pictures and the aladdin stuff, etc. Just have him focus on those things, and the princesses will become invisible.

And with a nervous 2 year old, putting something over pictures might be nerve-wracking for him, too! I think that with that age difference, you're just going to have to make the rules for now. As the little one gets older, the pirate room can be done...it'll probably still be there, and everyone will be better able to make the walk from them. (we didn't find the pirate rooms to be a bad walk away from the food court, but then it was early December and about to get cold, so we weren't dealing with heat) The older one just needs to be patient as his little brother grows up. :) (so sayeth the oldest of 5)

I agree with this.

The Royal Rooms look fantastic. You have to do things for yourself sometimes, kids shouldn't get there way all the time, that's not real life.

You shouldn't have to cover up the princesses for him either.

As a child, I'm sure we've all heard the phrase "my way or the highway" right?
:lmao:

Hi, I'm new to the board. I have recently book a Disney World vacation for my daughter and myself. (We are Disneyland passholder, but I wanted to try Disney World....so looking forward to it!!!).

Anyway, we are staying at the Port of Orleans Riverside in Royal Room starting June 10th. I feel in love with the look of the room. So my answer would be to keep the Royal Room.

I have booked a Pirate Adventure for my daughter at the Port Orleans Riverside. This may be something you can do for your son at POR. It looks like a pretty nice adventure and it's the pirate theme. I think he may enjoy it.

Enjoy your vacation and POR!!!!

We have a family full of "adult children" (26,25,22, and 18) two boys, two girls. Stayed in two royal rooms in August 2012 and we all loved it. The rooms are so nice and have such a great theme. Even the guys liked them and wouldn't stop pushing the button for the LED fireworks :rotfl2: We are going back and doing the same thing again at POR in July because we loved it so much! If you want to stay in the royal rooms, I'm with everyone else...go for it! While you're at the parks it is ALL about the kids, so do something you want when it comes to the rooms. They are beautiful and definitely worth it! Enjoy!

Last fall we (my adult son and daughter and me) ended up in connecting royal rooms. I hadn't originally chosen them because for some reason I thought they were too much of everything. I was surprised how much we loved the rooms!! Your son will, too. As someone else mentioned, they aren't real princessy. And he is going to love the fireworks in the headboards!! :)

Enjoy your stay!!

My numerous mistakes as a mother has taught me that if I make a big deal about something, the kids will follow my lead. The choice of a room is only a big deal to the adults. Kids might have an opinion about rooms before they leave, but once they arrive they are completely distracted by the parks, the gift shops, the POOL! Bottom line: kids that young will most likely not care if they sleep in a cardboard box as long as they are at Disney. :)

The more I talk about a conflict/issue in front of my kids, the more likely that conflict will stand out in their memory. And that's not what I want them to remember about our special family trip!

Wishing you the best trip & sweet memories! pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter