• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

POR: Bayou or Mansions??????

WDWChick

Disney Veteran
Now that we have booked our Sept trip and are staying at POR for the first time, I need your help once again.
Where should we stay?? Which section is best and why?? Any specific buildings??? When do I request where I want to stay??
P.S.
My DH and I are traveling with a 4 1/2 and 2 year old, so keep that in mind.
Thanks everyone!!!

Either side will be great. If you end up in AB, ask for buildings 14, 15, 17 or 18 (closest to General Store and Boatwright's).
If you end up in Mansions - Magnolia is pretty good too.

Remember that a request is only a request and I would call that into your reservation ASAP!

You may want to check out some resort photos to see which theme you like better - the rustic AB or the more formal mansions. Room amenities are the same, just different in their theme. We've stayed both, and liked both. I personally found the mansions to be a little quieter, even though you would think by the sounds of the descriptions and building layouts that the AB would be. To me, the mansion quiet pools were more "quiet". I think AB may have more families with 5 staying there, which could add a little to the number of people. Either way, things are so spread out that it's not bad. It's my favorite of the mods.

You can put your request on your reservation - but like it's been said, it's only a request. The earlier you check in, the more likely you'll get your request. I would think that in Sept. you should have no problem getting the side you want (maybe not get the exact building).

We stayed in Alligator Bayou and enjoyed it. However, when we return, we will stay in the Mansions just to try something different. You will be happy in either section.

Is the bayou at Riverside and the mansions at French Quarter? Or am I missing something?? I'm staying at French Quarter in May and just wondering if this will be my choice there, or if those choices are at Riverside... Can you tell I'm a little confused?? :confused3

WDWChick said:
Now that we have booked our Sept trip and are staying at POR for the first time, I need your help once again.
Where should we stay?? Which section is best and why?? Any specific buildings??? When do I request where I want to stay??
P.S.
My DH and I are traveling with a 4 1/2 and 2 year old, so keep that in mind.
Thanks everyone!!!

Either side is great. Just so you know you cannot choose which section you want to stay in. You can request but that is it. As far as one being better than the other it is all a matter of personal taste. The themeing of the AB section is Huck Finn and the themeing of the Mansion section is Gone with the Wind.

From looking at the map of the resort Oak Manor appears to be the closest to the Mansion section and building 14 of the AB section. Also, the AB section is the only section that parties of five can stay in so those parties would get the AB section first over a request.

So go ahead and request whichever side you think bests suits you but keep in mind it is just that a request and you might end up as far away from your request as possible. There is really no ryme or reason as to why some people get their requests and some do not. Good Luck.

Aurora borealis said:
Is the bayou at Riverside and the mansions at French Quarter? Or am I missing something?? I'm staying at French Quarter in May and just wondering if this will be my choice there, or if those choices are at Riverside... Can you tell I'm a little confused?? :confused3

There are two Port Orleans Resorts. One is Port Orleans Riverside which has two sections, the AB section, think Huck Finn and the Mansion section, think Gone with the Wind.

This is also Port Orleans French Quarter which is themed like Mardi Grai.

mickeyholic said:
We stayed in Alligator Bayou and enjoyed it. However, when we return, we will stay in the Mansions just to try something different. You will be happy in either section.

Just so you know you can request the mansions but that is about it. You cannot book a specific section of POR.

Hi, Can anyone tell me which section of POR has the first bus pick up ?

Is there a main bus stop by the lobby and is that one the first bus pick up at POR? I realize POFQ shares with POR and that POFQ has the very first bus pick up, but just wondering about POR.

Thanks,
Tink

ps. We stayed here at Dixie Landings in '97 in the mansions. I can't remember anything about the buses..lol. This time, I wasn't going to make any requests about which section we would like (Mansions or Alligator), but I think the bus stop answer might help me out... ;)

I believe that when I stayed at POR a couple of years ago the first stop was at the main lobby. I am not sure if this has changed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter