Popular (or if you prefer, most often used) DCL airline fined

I think your post title is misleading. How is Southwest a "popular DCL airline?" I agree that it is a popular airline and is used by many vacationers, but DCL does not book with Southwest and Southwest does not participate in the onboard check in program. Thus, I cannot call Southwest a "DCL airline," popular or otherwise.

we don't fly anymore when travelling in NA anymore but what ticks me off about "over selling" is that they are basically they charge twice for the same seat - if you book and i book and you don't show up the airline keeps your money and puts me in the seat.

if there are 100 seats sell 100 not 110 or 120 in hopes that 20 people dont show up and you've pocked the 20 passenger money

if they weren't given the rights to over sell there wouldn't be a problem. really what do they care if someone doesn't show up if they have their money.

then if it's one hour to flight time and 2 passengers haven't shown up resell their seat to someone waiting on stand by

True that they have the bucks...but then when they ask for volunteers to be bumped, Southwest pays $200 + whatever you paid for your ticket and if your new (free) flight is the next day, they pay for your hotel. DD and I agreed to a bump. I got $606 in SW airline vouchers, which paid for the next 3 round trips!

I think your post title is misleading. How is Southwest a "popular DCL airline?" I agree that it is a popular airline and is used by many vacationers, but DCL does not book with Southwest and Southwest does not participate in the onboard check in program. Thus, I cannot call Southwest a "DCL airline," popular or otherwise.

About 540,000 passengers at Orlando Airport arrive and leave on Southwest per month. The number two airline is Delta with 395,000 passenger, number three is Airtran with 320,000
Almost all DCL passengers that fly use Orlando. It certainly would be a fluke if Southwest didn't carry more DCL passengers. Southwest sure seems to get mentioned most on this board. I think popular is a fair description. (Popular, not official)
I didn't say MOST popular, but I bet if we had access to DCL inside information, that too, may also be true. Again, look at the stats I just added, it really really would be a fluke if Southwest isn't the most popular

Okay, found that actually passenger numbers, here's the link
http://www.orlandoairports.net/statistics/monthly/paxs201002.pdf

Over half the passengers at Orlando Airport arrive and leave on Southwest.
Almost all DCL passengers that fly use Orlando. It certainly would be a fluke if Southwest didn't carry more DCL passengers. Southwest sure seems to get mentioned most on this board. I think popular is a fair description.
I didn't say MOST popular, but I bet if we had access to DCL inside information, that too, may also be true.

Okay, found that actually passenger numbers, here's the link
http://www.orlandoairports.net/statistics/monthly/paxs201002.pdf

I'm not disputing that it's a popular airline. I'm disputing that it's a DCL airline. As far as I can see, there is NO connection between DCL and SWA.

I'm not disputing that it's a popular airline. I'm disputing that it's a DCL airline. As far as I can see, there is NO connection between DCL and SWA.

I never said official airline, or affiliated airline. Popular. Would you settle for most flown?
Sort reminds me of my wife. She was horrified to discover that the best selling entree at both of our favorite local family style restaurants is Grilled Liver. One waitress called it "the most popular entree"....to which my wife said "never use popular and liver in the same sentence". ;)

TVGUY,
Whatever word that may be causing a stur on this board, to me should not be the issue. No Southwest is not the official carrier of DCL Guests. It is terrible that SW overbooks but at the sametime i guess we have to understand they do this becuase of how bad the economy is. I would be happy that they do not charge for checked baggage like the other airlines. I think that is worse than overbooking passangers. I agree with some of the point and others I do not!

That is what makes America great, we can agree on something and disagree on others!

Thanks for the info though!

I want to jump in here as a SWA ground worker. First off I will say if we did do this, then we deserve the fine. I will never back a bad decision weather I work for that company or not. I just want to coment on the above post as I got the impression that the above poster may not be fully informed. If I am mistaken or misunderstood your post, please accept my apology. We are not the only airline that overbook. Every single airline does this. Just wanted to point that out. That's all.

we don't fly anymore when travelling in NA anymore but what ticks me off about "over selling" is that they are basically they charge twice for the same seat - if you book and i book and you don't show up the airline keeps your money and puts me in the seat.

if there are 100 seats sell 100 not 110 or 120 in hopes that 20 people dont show up and you've pocked the 20 passenger money

if they weren't given the rights to over sell there wouldn't be a problem. really what do they care if someone doesn't show up if they have their money.

then if it's one hour to flight time and 2 passengers haven't shown up resell their seat to someone waiting on stand by
A couple thoughts regarding your plan:
  • I buy a refundable ticket and then at the last minute decide not to fly. I get my money back and the flight goes with an empty seat. There typically aren't people standing around at the last minute who are willing to buy that seat.
  • If people are hanging out to go standby, it's because they missed their flight. Southwest didn't get to simply 'pocket' this money because the passenger is going to use that purchased ticket to standby for a later (or earlier) flight.
  • Overselling flights is a gamble that the airlines must take in order to maximize revenue. If they do not oversell flights (or don't oversell them enough), they lose revenue by sending out flights that are less than full. If they oversell too many seats, they lose money because they have to pay those passengers that are bumped. Overselling is a necessary evil. When things go right, passengers don't even know that the flight was oversold.

As if SWA is the only airline to overbook. :rolleyes1

I've had overbookings on other airlines too. Once on Frontier, I saw them actually choose a passenger to bump (he was sitting close to me) in order to accomodate one of their Premier Frequent Fliers who arrived at the gate late and asked to be on the flight (I heard him talk about it when he sat down about how thankful he was to catch this flight). Talk about poor customer service for the poor schmuck that got involuntarily bumped after having already sat down. I've also seen United ask for volunteers to be moved to later flights.

TVGUY,
Whatever word that may be causing a stur on this board, to me should not be the issue. No Southwest is not the official carrier of DCL Guests. It is terrible that SW overbooks but at the sametime i guess we have to understand they do this becuase of how bad the economy is. I would be happy that they do not charge for checked baggage like the other airlines. I think that is worse than overbooking passangers. I agree with some of the point and others I do not!

That is what makes America great, we can agree on something and disagree on others!

Thanks for the info though!

ITA...on our many flights with SWA we've heard them asking for volunteers to be bumped a few times. On our last flight, they asked for volunteers and we were sitting close to the rear of the plane. The lady behind us was actually upset that she was too late to take them up on their offer.

We're not frequent fliers who get all of the privileges of free checked bags, extra legroom, etc. on the other airlines, so we choose SWA. We like the lower fares, its free bag policy, the fact that they do not charge a fee to have to change your flights and that that they give you "credit" if you find the tickets at a lower price and rebook them at that price. We've also had great luck with SWA being on-time and not moving flights around.

question: if an airline needs 10 seats and only 7 people volunteer to get off of the plane, can an airline just "randomly" pull 3 other people off or are the 3 outside the plane in the terminal out of luck?

question: if an airline needs 10 seats and only 7 people volunteer to get off of the plane, can an airline just "randomly" pull 3 other people off or are the 3 outside the plane in the terminal out of luck?

That's a good question. I have seen it happen twice that a gate agent has had to come onboard and take someone off after they've boarded due to being oversold. One case this guy was traveling with his family, and he had to catch the next flight while his wife and child flew. They were not happy.

I want to jump in here as a SWA ground worker. First off I will say if we did do this, then we deserve the fine. I will never back a bad decision weather I work for that company or not. I just want to coment on the above post as I got the impression that the above poster may not be fully informed. If I am mistaken or misunderstood your post, please accept my apology. We are not the only airline that overbook. Every single airline does this. Just wanted to point that out. That's all.

My mistake for making you thing that SWA is the only airline to overbook. I know that all airlines do this I completely understand why. At this day and age they need to make sure that all flights are full!

As if SWA is the only airline to overbook. :rolleyes1

I've had overbookings on other airlines too. Once on Frontier, I saw them actually choose a passenger to bump (he was sitting close to me) in order to accomodate one of their Premier Frequent Fliers who arrived at the gate late and asked to be on the flight (I heard him talk about it when he sat down about how thankful he was to catch this flight). Talk about poor customer service for the poor schmuck that got involuntarily bumped after having already sat down. I've also seen United ask for volunteers to be moved to later flights.

ITA...on our many flights with SWA we've heard them asking for volunteers to be bumped a few times. On our last flight, they asked for volunteers and we were sitting close to the rear of the plane. The lady behind us was actually upset that she was too late to take them up on their offer.

We're not frequent fliers who get all of the privileges of free checked bags, extra legroom, etc. on the other airlines, so we choose SWA. We like the lower fares, its free bag policy, the fact that they do not charge a fee to have to change your flights and that that they give you "credit" if you find the tickets at a lower price and rebook them at that price. We've also had great luck with SWA being on-time and not moving flights around.

Sorry for sounding like I was saying that SWA is the ONLY airline to overbook. I have too been bumped on many other airlines as I travel approx. 30-40 times per year! I hate it but yet understand to some degree why airlines do need to overbook. Sorry for the mistunderstanding

The airline can chose who they bump, without regard to whether or not they are on the plane yet or not.

What Southwest was fined for was NOT for bumping passengers, its was for not informing people who had been bumped what compensation they were eligible for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter