Poppy Ran Me Over With His Scooter - A PHM Trip Report UPDATE!! 7/23 Pg. 21

Running in the cold stinks. Your face feels like a popsicle yet you're still sweaty, and your lungs feel like they are burning. I have been in Florida for so long that I'd probably die if I tried to run in late February where you live.

Ugh, people who don't follow running etiquette are frustrating. I agree that most Disney 5Ks are fun runs, but people should still be polite and move the heck over. I try to be positive and tell myself it's because Disney allows so many people to register for the races that in some places, there's just no room for walkers to get over.

The World Showcase in the morning looks awesome! A pretty cool running route.

I don't get why the 5K races are plastic. Most of the other 5Ks are actual medals.

Congrats on the 5K! I don't run, but I can totally see how parts of that would have been annoying. Kudos to you though. I'd fast walk a 5K, but not run. It's just not my thing.

Even though those medals aren't metal, they are cute!

I LOVE your early morning WS photos!! And of course you guys look adorable as always!

I'm sure you saw people doing this, but for the races in January I would use a trash bag to keep the wind off of me. I looked a bit crazy (literal trash lady), but it worked!! It's so hard to know how many layers you'll need. But, I'd rather run in the colder temps than these blazing ones we have now!!!

What annoyed me the most about the princess half were the runners who very obviously wanted to be in an earlier corral but weren't (most because they stayed back to hang out with their friends who were in a later corral). Then when the corral was released they weaved all over and basically ran people over trying to go faster than the pace of the corral. If they had waited a mile or so into the race the crowd would have spaced out so they could run without chancing injury for everyone. And hey, if they were that dedicated to pace why on earth did they stay back with their friends??? Obviously with a 5K you don't have the luxury of distance to wait out the crowd and you're kind of stuck where you are.

That is not an exaggeration. The day of the Frozen 5k had arrived. And it was FROZEN outside! Races are always at the crack of dawn, so it's already a bit on the chilly side at times. But today, I believe it was 35 degrees when we headed out in the morning.
Man, they didn't have to take the 5K theme so seriously and pump in the frozen air. Disney really does take things to the extreme ; )

We had all brought breakfast to eat on the bus while en route. I had a clif bar, while I believe Jason and the kids ate cinnamon buns.
Cinnamon buns and a 5K yeah that sounds like a good idea. You'd think your brother would have learned something from Jauquin's previous episode ; )

Gotta love my weird hair. I was using the headband to mainly keep my ears warm!

I think your hair looks fine, but what are those people in aluminum foil behind you. Now that is weird!

In case anyone is wonder, no, I did not get dressed in the dark. Bonus points to the person who can guess what Disney character my outfit was based on.
I'm gonna guess Anastasia

To give you guys an idea of what the crowding looked like. Let's just say it wasn't easy to actually run this race. It was definitely more like walk. Good to know for the future.
A walk sounds wonderful to me ; )

I do have to say though that on this 5k, I took what I think is my favorite picture of World Showcase EVER.

This is gorgeous. Epcot at sunrise is definitely not something most people ever get to see

Sounds like my kind of run! :laughing: I can definitely understand your frustrations as I would be annoyed too if I were an actual runner and encountered the poor runner etiquette. I hope things improved for your big race!

My daughter is a serious runner (Chicago and Boston Marathons) and has thought about doing some of the Disney runs. Thanks for sharing your thoughts as this would probably discourage her from taking part.

Love those pics from WS! My favorite place in Disney!

With so many DISers leaving, I just wanted to add that I'm really glad you're still around, Danielle.

Great update and my fav pic of the update is the crazy/funny face group photo.

Thanks for sharing the 5k info. I had been waffling about signing up for both the 5k and 10k Star Wars and decided to focus just on the 10k (we are locked in). Your post just solidified that I made the right choice. I would want to be able to run and better my time.

Brrrr, that is cold! But I guess it's better than really hot for the race.

So cool that you saw the ice guys from Frozen. I love the obscure characters so would have been thrilled to get a picture with them.

What is up with that weird half human Olaf with Anna and Elsa?

I would have a really hard time not stopping at every character if I did one of these races. Like I said above, I love collecting pictures with the more obscure characters. Oh well, with my bum ankle I could never do one of these any way.

Hmmmm, is your costume Lady Tremaine?

But today, I believe it was 35 degrees when we headed out in the morning.

Holy cow! When I used to run outside ages ago, the only time I could do it was early in the morning before work so it was like mid 40's and I'd die. My ears were always, so so cold along with my nose!

I had a clif bar, while I believe Jason and the kids ate cinnamon buns.

Wow they are brave.

Gotta love my weird hair. I was using the headband to mainly keep my ears warm!

And then you posted about the headband! Wish I would have been this smart to think about that. I seriously contemplated wrapping a scarf around my head:rotfl2:

In case anyone is wonder, no, I did not get dressed in the dark. Bonus points to the person who can guess what Disney character my outfit was based on.

Agh I have no idea!! :sad2:

No, it didn't take us 42 minutes to get to mile 1. It had been 42 minutes since the first corral started. We were several corrals back.

Thanks for posting this. Cause I seriously would have thought it took you guys 42 minutes :rotfl:

To give you guys an idea of what the crowding looked like. Let's just say it wasn't easy to actually run this race. It was definitely more like walk. Good to know for the future. I definitely would not spend the money on another 5k. That's my personal preference though. They're designed to be fun runs, which is TOTALLY fine. I'm not ripping on anything in regards to fun runs. However, I know myself and I am a person that when I run, I get easily frustrated by people who do not follow runners etiquette. Basically fun runs are designed for people who aren't runners, so they don't follow the rules of the road. Not my thing personally.

I totally understand that. For me the one reason i'd do this is to get pictures like these...

IMG_7799.jpg

Seriously, there's never a time where you can get a picture in the France Pavilion without people in it! Very cool! :hyper:

Love that you guys did the 5K as a family...very cool. And love all your "Disney" side outfits.

I am :rotfl: over the picture of the two kids not standing "too" close together.

It's going to get worse in May 2016 when they open the new Frozen ride I am afraid (although I do love th emovie).

Great gooigly moogily where in the world of Carmen Sandiego did I miss the previous post?!?!?! At least I'm all caught up now. HOORAY!!!

I'm glad to see that you can still get an all you can eat type situation at Akershus maybe I'll "borrow" someone's kid so I have an excuse to go and hang out with the princesses. And I can't believe I'm saying this but the 5k actually looks doable to me though I would have to learn the runners etiquette as I would definitely be one of the fun runner types. Good to see that your dad did so well after such little recovery time. Looking forward to more shenanigans

I'm sorry about your slow race, I've only done one Disney race, the EE5K and it seemed as though there was lots of runners ettiquette. The walkers stayed to the right and only 2 - 3 abreast so the runners didn't get held up. However there were no characters so that probably made a huge difference. I walked as I'm not a runner (although I'm currently on week 3 of C25K :rotfl2: ) but I walk fast so slow walkers and people in the way would have really annoyed me :rotfl:

I love how you all did it together :)

I didn't realize that your whole family did the 5K. How fun! I am doing the 10K in February (because the thought of doing the 1/2 alone didn't appeal to me) and I hope its not super congested like that. It probably will be, but at least it has time to spread out. I honestly didn't know the 5K went through Epcot. That's pretty neat. All in all it looks like a great time!

Bonus points to the person who can guess what Disney character my outfit was based on.

Hmm, had a few guesses here. At first I thought of Snow White, but there was no yellow, so ruled that out. I have 1 other guess (even thought it is probably wrong) which is Genie.

You would think these kids didn't know each other, standing like 10 FEET APART!

Love the kids but what on earth is going on by the fountain....:rotfl2:or :scared1: Man down Man down.

We were driving down that morning maybe and the temp didn't get above freezing until maybe the Florida state line?

That race looks really crowded. The Halloween 5K and even EEC didn't seem that congested. When the path gets narrow and you are forced to walk when you want to run that is really frustrating.

Looks like a nice route through EPCOT. Both my 5K have been at AK, also a pretty nice route. The first mile being out in the parking lot was a bit um... much and uneventful but EPCOT looks like there is just more scenery.

The 5k looks like so much fun! I've run half marathons before, and I just don't know if I'd want to do it at Disney because of the exhaustion I feel afterwards. 5k and 10k would definitely be more up my alley for a vacation. There was a time when I fancied myself a marathon tourist (before I had my child, when I was FREEEEEEEE!)... that time has passed. :laughing:

Continued from previous post:

The kiddos gave us a thumbs up after crossing the finish line.

And everyone was given their medal.

All in all, the race was definitely fun. If you've never done a 5k, I think it's a great way to break yourself into the 5k world. It's not high pressure and designed to be a lot of fun. I didn't know what to expect with the run, so I had been hoping to run a bit more than I was able to. It was a little disappointing on that front, so if you expect to be able to run or do a PR....you won't. Hahaha! Also, the medals on the run are plastic. Which Gavin and Madison were so disappointed with! They wanted a real medal. We had to keep telling them that it was all okay that it wasn't "real".

Big babies. LOL.

After we met up with the rest of our group, it was time for us to head to the breakfast! We had booked this after the 5k, because we figured it would be fun.

It's overpriced, like everything else with the race, but it was nice to have the food right there. They could have had more variety, but what can you do?

But you know what did happen? I saw my Disney family!!!!!!

We got to chat about the race and what our plans were with the half marathon. I told Caitlin to come to Animal Kingdom Lodge Sunday morning and we would all take the bus to the half. It would give us an opportunity to hang out on the way to the race. We both agreed that would be a fun thing to do.

I'm so excited to be racing with Caitlin in January. :)

In case anyone wondered what they had at the breakfast, it was pretty basic, but it tasted good.

We had o'gratin potatoes, eggs, french toast sticks, sausage.

It was a tent setup, since we were basically in a parking lot.

Had to prove I got my medal!

All in all, we had a great time. I'm not planning another 5k in January, as I'm concentrating mostly on the half. I want to save my feet so I can get a better time, so no park time pre-half and no 5k.

We'll call this a lesson learned.

Yay 5k done! Just 2 more days until the Princess. Eeeeeeeekkkkk!!!!!

Up next: Magic Kingdom!

"When It Feels Colder In Florida Than in the Midwest"

That is not an exaggeration. The day of the Frozen 5k had arrived. And it was FROZEN outside! Races are always at the crack of dawn, so it's already a bit on the chilly side at times. But today, I believe it was 35 degrees when we headed out in the morning.

Oh wow, that's crazy, I didn't think it was EVER that cold in Florida :laughing: I'd love to do a RunDisney event, but I could never imagine running in the Orlando heat. It's good to hear it's done in British temperatures!

This is cute! But I love how everyone in the background looks absolutely freezing :laughing:

To give you guys an idea of what the crowding looked like. Let's just say it wasn't easy to actually run this race. It was definitely more like walk. Good to know for the future. I definitely would not spend the money on another 5k. That's my personal preference though. They're designed to be fun runs, which is TOTALLY fine. I'm not ripping on anything in regards to fun runs. However, I know myself and I am a person that when I run, I get easily frustrated by people who do not follow runners etiquette. Basically fun runs are designed for people who aren't runners, so they don't follow the rules of the road. Not my thing personally.

Ahh this is really good to know, thanks for sharing :goodvibes I think I'd get a little frustrated too. I'd like to do the 10k that goes through the Epcot resorts area, do you think that would be any better?

I do have to say though that on this 5k, I took what I think is my favorite picture of World Showcase EVER.

Beautiful!

This was my favorite costume on the 5k hands down. How creative are they?

As a Brit, I actually laughed out loud at this! When it comes to costumes, in general we are terrible. Nobody EVER puts any actual effort into it, Halloween is always just the same boring, easy costumes. I find it hilarious / amazing that these people sat down and put so much time into it! I bet it's so much fun to make this kind of thing together. Great find! :laughing:

Yay 5k done! Just 2 more days until the Princess. Eeeeeeeekkkkk!!!!!

Can't wait to hear about it!

Hey there! The good thing about being 5 months too late to your TR means that I can read all this goodness at once! Plus I happen to know that you are otherwise engaged at the moment so I'm not likely to miss an update this week!

The best visual thus far has been pops spinning the scooter in circles at Epcot - wheeeeee! I'm trying not to get any visuals for poopgate! :p

That was awesome that Super Ommi took the time to get the autograph books for the littles at Akershus.

Since it was a Frozen themed 5k (because everything appears to be Frozen themed now), we had to take the obligatory photo with the ice guys.

Uhhh, here's a guess, Mulan on the run with sneakers!

So...... now that I've enjoyed getting caught up I'll have to keep up with the fun. :o

Oh wow I was wayyy behind! Crappity crap for all your home issues- that majorly bites...

Such a fun family outing! DH did the Castaway 5k in May, still super jealous as I had just got off crutches so didn't dare try it, the medal was plastic also but quite lovely, considering that race was free! (Well all it cost you was an insanely expensive cruise) love the joy in the girls with the princesses and oh Joaquin!

Maybe someday we will get to a land around a race-maybe a family event also.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter