Pop-up Gizmos

proudmomof4

DIS Veteran
I am thinking of getting the Pop-up Gizmos to help keep our PUP cooler in the summer.

It gets unbearably hot in there during the day even with the AC at full blast, does anyone have any feedback on them? Good or bad, ease of installation?

TIA

we got them for our pup. they do make a difference in keeping the ends cooler. they come with small clamps to hold them on but I would recommend getting some stronger ones from the hardware store. We found the small ones just didn't hold very well. It's pretty easy to install...put it on before you pop it up too far. We are vertically challenged people and we learned that the hard way!!!

Others on the board have made the own gizmos with reflective type blankets and that seems to work also. We went with the official gizmos and for us it was worth the investment.

We have the gizmos and they work great. They were a must for our July trip to the Fort. I would hate to think how hot it would have been without them.

We have a set of the high wind pop up gizmos and really like them. They little clips are kinda cheap. i think someone else suggested a little better quality one. The high wind ones have bungee cords on them also.

we got them for our pup. they do make a difference in keeping the ends cooler. they come with small clamps to hold them on but I would recommend getting some stronger ones from the hardware store. We found the small ones just didn't hold very well. It's pretty easy to install...put it on before you pop it up too far. We are vertically challenged people and we learned that the hard way!!!

Others on the board have made the own gizmos with reflective type blankets and that seems to work also. We went with the official gizmos and for us it was worth the investment.

Thanks for the info, we are vertically challenged too and I was concerned with how long it could take to set up when trying to clamp these in place.

Thanks Denise

We have the gizmos and they work great. They were a must for our July trip to the Fort. I would hate to think how hot it would have been without them.

Thanks for your reply. We usually go in the summer and while we are Floridians and should be used to the heat it has just been so hot in the PUP that DH doesn't want to go in the summer anymore. But this year DS22 is taking a 2 week break from his PhD studies in July and wants to go camping at FW for his 23rd birthday, so I am going to get the Gizmos to cool things down a bit in the PUP.

We have a set of the high wind pop up gizmos and really like them. They little clips are kinda cheap. i think someone else suggested a little better quality one. The high wind ones have bungee cords on them also.

Thanks, I looked at the web site and I think we are going to go with the Super High Wind ones which have the bungees and no clips. I think those would be best since some of those afternoon storms can kick up a pretty good wind.

We use the silver tarps on each end and the aluminum bubble insulation from Home Depot. The 50' x 4' roll did the windows in both bunk ends and the large window on the side without the awning. You can't even tell the aluminum wrap is inserted in between the screen and the interior flap.
It made a world of difference in comfort when we go to the fort around the last week of June and the 4th of July.:cool1:
tumblr_lhlqf1XjSU1qguhw7

I bought the 50ft roll of reflective bubble wrap and made window covers for every window in my RV. It helps immensely any time I am running heat or AC, and is privacy screening too.

Attached it with little self adhesive velcro dots. Want some daylight? Pull off a cover or 2!

They will also give you protection if your having water intrusion thru the top seams. Get the biggest they make so you have extra room over the sides and back. The metal clamps have a painted on rubber tip that will come off easily and the edges are very sharp..so if your not careful it will tear into the fabric. They make very solid plastic clamps that work much better and come in all sizes. We have the high wind model and the bungees work well. You only need two clamps to hold it on under the top while your doing the bungees.

DSC_3518.jpg

We had Gizmos on both pop ups we owned. Silver side out in the summer, in in the winter. they really made a difference in the comfort of the pup. They have made some great improvements to the product recently. They also have a cooler cover that works nicely and they make covers for telescopes.

We have the popupgizmos and really like them and they do keep it a bit cooler in the bunks. Now, we never leave for a camping trip without them.:thumbsup2

We took some advice of someone off the Good Sam's website and bought 4 saftey blankets, which are made of the same material as the gizmos, the only draw back is you have to put two of them together to fit over the bunk ends but it only cost like $30 and we have used them for the past 4 years and they work great, couldn't stay during the summer without them, it makes at least a 10-15 degree difference in the bunkends.

We use the silver tarps on each end and the aluminum bubble insulation from Home Depot. The 50' x 4' roll did the windows in both bunk ends and the large window on the side without the awning. You can't even tell the aluminum wrap is inserted in between the screen and the interior flap.
It made a world of difference in comfort when we go to the fort around the last week of June and the 4th of July.:cool1:

Holy Cow, a '95 Stony Creek! I found and bought mine through craigslist almost exactly a year ago and love it, have used it three or four times so far. Of course, the age means it's all "manual" but that's okay. I wonder, do you have any issues with the stove? It's been our only problem, the gas is just not strong enough to use the stove, and we've checked and replaced all of the nozzles/connectors/etc. Minor issue though, having the big beds and extra pull out beds has been the best for us. :thumbsup2

This is our second one. We got rid of the first one and got an class "A". Had the class A for 5 years and went to a trailer. Had that for a year, then went to a newer Coleman, one with the plastic roof. Piece of junk, leaked, awning ripped off, roof delaminated and cracked. Then we saw the 95' stony brook on ebay and bought it site unseen. Once again the best popup we have owned. The fact that a popup can open up to over 27' is awesome.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter