pop-up camper help

azureskies

Mouseketeer
I just traded in my car for a Dodge Grand Caravan Stow 'N Go. :mickeyjum I have never towed anything before so I would like to start small (eventually would like to get a trailer). I am looking at it sleeping 2-6 people (but mainly my teenage son and myself). I would like to store it in the garage when not in use (we have a two+ car garage). Which are your favorite brands? Which camper would you suggest for us?

Hi Azureskies: so you traded in your sentra...yay! There will be lots of opinions on favorite/best camper. Truth is, many models are built on the same assembly line and badged with different "companies" all under the umbrella of just a few actual manufacturers. I've always thought Jayco built a pretty good camper. Here is about the smallest they make and looks like it could sleep six, is the right weight and would probably fit in a garage (make sure you include the tongue in the overall length. http://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/2014-jay-series/1006/ Rockwood also makes a nice camper...something like this? http://www.forestriverinc.com/popup...etails&floorplanid=108&RVType=TNT#prettyPhoto

There is a site called rvnet.com that has an entire forum for pop-ups. You can get lots of info and advice there. Under NO circumstances, let a camper salesman tell you if you can or cannot tow a particular trailer. Good luck, take your time and find the floorplan that works for you.

Thank you so much, TinCanTee!

I will remember not to let the salesperson tell me what I can and cannot tow. They better not be pushy either, I'm a walker (take my business elsewhere) when they get pushy.

I have time, hoping to find one by Feb/March. We are hoping to spend a couple weeks at FW in March or April. If I find one sooner it would be wonderful but I do not want to rush it.

azureskies,

I love popups for camping. I bought one new 10 years ago and used the heck out of it (it literally paid for itself). When I was ready to make a change this year, I flirted with "the dark side" (that's what we popup people call moving up to a hybrid, travel trailer, or rv) but still loved the simplicity and versatility that a pup offers. I hope you can get a popup you love and use the heck out of it too.

My advice will be in general terms.

First, your van owners manual should specify your tow limits and if those numbers require a tow package or not. We still have a Chrysler Town and Country minivan that we bought new with a tow package to pull our old pup with (same bones as your Dodge GC). Its tow limit (and the limit of most minivans) is 3500# with two people. If you carry more people and "stuff", the max limit drops to about 3000#. Our pup was heavy and when fully loaded put us at the weight limit. After a couple brake jobs and some transmission work, I upgraded the Tow Vehicle (TV) to a used Chevy Suburban with an 8000# limit. Message here is don't rationalize too heavy a trailer. You'll end up paying for that decision (literally) in the end.

Second, assuming you pass the weight limit check, you didn't specify if you are looking new or used. We bought new and kept is stored in the unfinished portion of our basement/garage and that is the BEST way to care for it. To get it in/out through a standard garage door means hand-pushing it or using a hand-guided dolly device. You won't be able to use the car to spot it in/out because you would likely only have about 6" of clearance either side like I did with a standard 8' garage door.

Third, looking new or used is your choice. The age in terms of years is not as important IMO as condition. An indoor stored used pup that's 10 years old in great condition as mine was may be a better choice than a 3 year old that has sat outside in the rain when not used. Use the SEARCH function of this Camping Board to find the old threads where we've given people advice about shopping for a used pup.

Fourth, if you are looking new, what TinCanTee said about some pups being the same besides the name is true. You may come across the Rockwood or Flagstaff popup lines which are both owned by a trailer/rv conglomerate called Forest River. One has basically west coast dealerships, the other east coast but they are basically identical pups. Also, StarCraft was bought by Jayco (my old pup was a Jayco) and while there aren't identical, Jayco put a lot of their ideas into the StarCraft line. There are some new companies like Livin Lite that make super light popups (a tent roof, not a solid roof) which would be hard to keep cool I bet even with an AC if it's set up in an area with no shade during summer. You might come across Fleetwood pups if you look used which was part of a conglomerate but the pup line was shut down a few years ago. Fleetwood had bought the old, old Coleman pup line/brand. But since Fleetwood spun it off, you can't get parts for them any more, etc. Coleman has licensed the name to another manufacturer in the last year or two but I don't know anything about them. Somerset is another small line - the Aliner company bought the Fleetwood manufacturing site where they made popups (the two plants were only about 75 miles apart in Pennsylvania) but they are not meant to be compatible with Fleetwoods and I have heard quality/startup problems with Somersets. I would recommend a Jayco new or used generally speaking.

Fifth, look around where you live for what popup dealers are nearby. New or used, there will be times over the years where you may need to buy replacement parts, get the pup serviced, or something. While not necessary, it's preferred you have a dealer nearby who supports your brand of pup. While anyone could perform basic service, getting parts through anyone other than a branded dealer is problematic. Non-branded dealers may service their brands with a higher priority than folks wanting service with non-brands. Since I bought my Jayco from a local Jayco dealer and got it serviced there, I never had problems but I have heard of problems from others.

Last, if you have a 3500/3000# towing capacity, I would suggest you look at popups with a 10' box and no slideout. A 10' box refers to the length under the main roof that goes up/down. Most vendors number their models to indicate size so a Jayco 1006 has a 10' box but a Jayco 1207 has a 12' box - and so on. My pup had a slideout dinette (kitchen table with two bench seats facing) which was great because it provided more space inside but added 500#. Many 10' box non-slide pups with a hard roof will come in around 2500# which gives you a 500# safety margin. Most have 2 bunks which can sleep 2 each and a kitchen table that can fold down and sleep 1-2 to get you to the 6 max people you want.

Although we spend a lot of time outside with our pup, when it's cold, when it rains, at night, etc you will consider the internal layout and features more. Also the forums at http://www.popupexplorers.com area wealth of info.

Good luck!

Bama Ed

PS - here is a picture of my old Jayco pup

and here is my new pup, an Aliner Expedition (hard sided folding pup only sleeps 3)

Thank you, Ed! Very, very helpful!

I was just looking at the Aliners this morning. Looks really amazing. I am going to look more into the Jayco brand. We have a camper dealership (new and used sales) that is highly recommended that is about 20/25 mins away.

Hey Ed, what do mean darkside?

"You don't know the extras and roominess of the Darkside..."

Hey Ed, what do mean darkside?

"You don't know the extras and roominess of the Darkside..."

Tell us again what kind of mileage you get on your tow vehicle dragging that barn door down the interstate? :drive:

:darth: Just because you succumbed to the Emperor doesn't mean I have to. :yoda:

Jedi Ed

YOU DON'T KNOW THE ROOMIN...uuummm...uuuhhh...eerrr...
Mileage...yeah...

Did I mention it had an outdoor kitchen?

Did I mention the "Emperor" was my wife?

Darth Dad

In honesty my dad has a Starcraft and he really likes it. I actually started out wanting a popup, but by the time my wife and kids' demands were met I ended up with a mobile apartment instead.

I also agree with TinCanTee about models being the same just by a different name. We looked for a year before we found what we really wanted. My advice is don't get in a hurry unless you just get slapped in the face with "Yep, that's the one!" when you see it.

Owner of a Coleman Santa Fe here. 10' box, no slideouts, but has a furnace and A/C;) It has been garage kept over the years. That will prolong it's life. We used to tow with a smaller vehicle but felt it behind us and we dropped a transmission on a hill with a minivan. We now tow with an expedition. You can tow with minivans but just avoid mountainous destinations:rotfl:

They don't make fleetwood colemans anymore so good luck checking out the new stuff. Used may be an option. We are getting ready to sell ours. Whoever buys it will get a nice p/up and be able to make some great family memories just like us.

We started with a nice big, used, older model Starcraft from Craig's List. We loved that thing! (still do) Buying older, used, is a good way to find out what you do and don't like when you first start out camping without spending a ton of money. We moved from the popup to a hybrid in about 2 years, then 2 years later to the bunkhouse we have now. We still have the popup and keep it as a loaner since we rebuilt it from the ground up (couldn't bear to get rid of it)

Good luck and I hope you find something you love as much as we did!

I'm part of the group that says buy used, even a year or two old. If you take your time, you WILL find one in good condition and the depreciation will have been someone else's. The first three things to look for in a used unit are water damage, water damage, and water damage. Mechanical and systems issues can usually be repaired (or ignored) fairly inexpensively. Structural damage from water (or accident) can get very very costly, even more that the camper is worth. BTW, I absolutely love sleeping under the canvas; my dream rv is a class A with hybrid bunks :hyper:
There's an old saying in some camper's circles that you should buy your third camper first.

We started with a nice big, used, older model Starcraft from Craig's List. We loved that thing! (still do) Buying older, used, is a good way to find out what you do and don't like when you first start out camping without spending a ton of money. We moved from the popup to a hybrid in about 2 years, then 2 years later to the bunkhouse we have now. We still have the popup and keep it as a loaner since we rebuilt it from the ground up (couldn't bear to get rid of it)

Good luck and I hope you find something you love as much as we did!

Thank you, PixieCamper!

I am definitely going to consider used, along with new. This will be our home away from home and I will have to remind myself of that and make sure I really love the one we choose.

Agree with Bama_Ed and look for a smaller pop-up (10 foot box). I have a Dodge Caravan and towed our Fleetwood Bayside (a decent size pop-up) with it a couple of times. At least pushed maybe exceeded the weight limit and I knew I need something better to tow it. I have an F-150 now and the difference is huge. Whatever your weight limit is, try to be under it a good 500 lbs. Yes you might can pull the max but realize you are straining the vehicle.

If you are towing with a minivan, stay small, tow slow, and travel short. We run a Bayside also, it goes 3500 lbs. on the local scales. We tow with a Chevy 1500 Express van with a 5.3 V8. Driving the van local, in town, we get 14-15mpg. Pulling the camper drive 1100 miles straight through to the fort running 70, last year we got 13.9 for the total 2300 miles. We've run the Chevy west to Salt Lake City crossing the continental divide 6 times in a 5500 mile trip and life has been good. My uncle traded his Jayco 10 ft box in on a trailer with the fold out bunks (hybrid). It is an ultra-lite model weighing only 3500. His mini van has dropped to 11 miles a gallon and he won't take any long trips with it. It is like pulling a barn down the road. Weight and wind resistance are both factors to consider. We've run the Express van about 35,000 miles with the camper hooked on, and never a worry.

1975 Fort Wilderness 3 Nights 500 Loop..........1977 Off Property 5 Nights.............................1993 Off Property 7 Nights
1885 Dixie Landings 7 Nights.........................2003 Fort Wilderness 7 Nights 1400 Loop.........2006 Disneyland - Off Property 7 Nights
2006 Fort Wilderness 12 Nights 900 Loop........2009 Fort Wilderness 14 Nights 1300 Loop.......2010 Disneyland - Paradise Pier 8 Nights
2011 Fort Wilderness 11 Nights 1300 Loop......2013 Fort Wilderness 10 Nights 1300 Loop
** 2008 Chevy Express Conversion Van / 2007 Coleman Bayside **

......There's an old saying in some camper's circles that you should buy your third camper first.

I had never heard that before but had to laugh at the truth of it, every single camper I know in real life and on line is on their 3rd or 4th camper and it's the one they love the most and is the "keeper" LOL

No matter how many years you research, I guess you never truly know what you want until you try a few out.

I've heard about the third camper first before. While I stood there at an RV show looking at a big fifth wheel, the guy said you might as well buy it now, because you are going to in a few years anyway. We went from a Coleman with a 10 ft. box to a Bayside with a 12 ft. box and a slide out. You don't know what you're missing until you get it.

1975 Fort Wilderness 2 Nights 500 Loop..........1977 Off Property 5 Nights.............................1993 Off Property 7 Nights
1885 Dixie Landings 7 Nights.........................2003 Fort Wilderness 7 Nights 1400 Loop.........2006 Disneyland - Off Property 7 Nights
2006 Fort Wilderness 12 Nights 900 Loop........2009 Fort Wilderness 14 Nights 1300 Loop.......2010 Disneyland - Paradise Pier 8 Nights
2011 Fort Wilderness 11 Nights 1300 Loop......2013 Fort Wilderness 10 Nights 1300 Loop
** 2008 Chevy Express Conversion Van / 2007 Coleman Bayside **

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter