Pop or CSR or Dolphin... what to choose

hdrolfe

DIS Veteran
Morning :) We haven't been able to get to Disney since summer 2019 and while I thought we'd wait a bit longer, we are now planning to go next April/May, we'll do almost two weeks, with 10 day tickets, plan on the water parks (hoping Typhoon Lagoon is open as it's our favourite). Kiddo wants to stay at POP because of the SkyLiner, we do plan on going to Hollywood Studios a few times, and Epcot once or twice. The other two choices cost more, but we can afford it, and they have nicer pool areas (with all important water slides for kiddo) but since we also have the waterpark tickets I'm not sure that matters too much.

We have stayed at AoA, POP twice, Yacht Club (loved the pool and being able to walk to Epcot, take the boat, but it's way out of price this time) and also All Star Movies once. We like the renovated rooms. I was looking at CBR as well, since it has the skyliner and a water slide, but it's even more than Dolphin! Last trip my son was saying we should take our time more and relax at the hotel more than we did, so we are going for longer, and the plan is afternoon breaks, and maybe only a park in the morning or evening, not both! Crazy times. Any way, Thoughts? opinions? Since Magic Express will be gone that isn't a bonus for not staying at Dolphin, and the buses would be the only thing that may be better to Magic Kingdom from the other choices. I don't usually charge to the room while in the parks, we tend to use giftcards. And While I will get the mugs if we stay on site, they aren't a necessity. Since dining plans aren't available that also isn't a difference. I'm leaning towards one of the bigger rooms, since we will be there two weeks, but we'd save money staying at POP.

I'd go with Dolphin, I stay there just about every trip now. Sometimes I do split stays with the first day or two at a value or moderate. I do AK and MK the first days on those trips since you have to bus there from just about every resort except the Monorail and WL resorts.

If price doesn't matter, I'd go with Dolphin. Great location. Followed by Pop, for easy access via Skyliner to Epcot. CSR is a lovely resort, but dependent on bus or car transportation. Plus, my son wasn't as thrilled with CSR, but that's because he is still small enough for the splash grounds (like at other moderate resorts) and he prefers the in-your-face Disney theming.

Dolphin all the way. Location CANNOT BE BEAT...and even with the resort fee and parking, I still think it is worth it, especially considering what the neighboring Disney resorts (Boardwalk, Yacht/Beach Club) charge per night. So many dining options just steps away, awesome pools, etc. I have stayed at Pop numerous times and loved it, but after staying at the Dolphin, I have found my new Disney home. At Pop, you are dependent upon the buses and the Skyliner. I love the Skyliner, but the line early in the morning at Pop/AoA is long and then you have to stand in another long line at the Skyliner hub station at Caribbean Beach Resort---so much time wasted. The bus situation at Pop is less than ideal with really long waits in the morning.

At Dolphin, you can walk both to Epcot and Hollywood Studios, or you can take a friendship boat. I also had good experience with the buses at Dolphin....very comfortable motor coach and I never waited more than 15 minutes. Good luck with your decision!

Just came back from the Dolphin. Got a great rate but......the resort fee is now $35.00 without tax....and the parking is $29 before tax. That's about $70 per day per room.

If you're a Costco member, they do include the resort fee in their rates, and cut the parking fees off after 5 nights.

Lots of Dolphin suggestions. I won't be driving so no parking fees, relying on buses, boats or walking (and probably an Uber/Lyft or two). I believe if I book it as a package through Disney it includes the resort fees. Lots to consider. I know the beds are only doubles but it's just the two of us (me and kiddo) so that doesn't really matter too much. I just can't wait to get back to Disney!

We loved our stay at Dolphin. The location just cannot be beat. Walking, food options, etc. My kids are young though and just starting to enter the ages where theming may be more of a pull for them and there is obviously no “theme” at dolphin. With how long your trip is, maybe a split stay?

I've only stayed at POP, but wanted to point out the skyliner offers you so many options now. Riviera, CBR, Quick trip to Epcot in the evening. It's definitely a perk! Plus you're right next to AoA, which is nice if there are any busing issues. Several times we'd catch a bus back to AoA and just walk to POP.

Are you saying Costco members don't pay the resort fees at Dolphin?

Dolphin, definitely! Great location, lovely pool area, tons of food options within walking distance.

Are you saying Costco members don't pay the resort fees at Dolphin?

That is correct, if you book your stay through Costco you are not paying a separate resort fee of $35 a night, it's included in your booked rate. And parking is charged for the first 5 nights, nothing after that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter