Pop or Caribbean Beach? Horrific reviews and freaking me out

Adreyer

Mouseketeer
Hey Dis friends. I have a room booked for four nights during the first week of April at Pop. I love the price and dedicated bus service. We were trying to go a low budget as possible because we're sailing with the mouse this summer. That said, I usually stay at Boardwalk (parents DVC) and my last value resort experience was less than stellar (last February). Anyhoo, I've been reading reviews on trip advisor and the bad reviews are REALLY BAD. Roaches at Pop pouring out of electrical outlets, terrible smoke smell in the A/C and repeatedly dirty rooms at Caribbean - anyone have recent experience. I know they're undergoing renovations at both resorts, but not sure if its to fix these issues. What would you do?

I have stayed at both in the last year and had no issues. I would keep Pop. Don't expect anything fancy, it is a basic hotel room with no frills. We found it to be clean. We stayed at CBR in December for 2 nights and room was clean there too.

I've stayed at Pop. My only complaint about it was that it just was loud. Lots of noise outside the doors late at night and I could hear the neighbors clear as day. But the rooms were clean and fine, definitely just a basic hotel room.

We stayed at CBR in December and it was amaaaaazing! That's coming from someone who has only stayed in value resorts before, so take it with a grain of salt. But I thought it was wonderful and the pool area was awesome. But if you're tight on money this year, I think Pop is fine. When we've been tight on money in the past, we've stayed off-site and that was perfectly fine too. I think that's the nice part about Disney trips - there are so many options so no matter what kind of trip you are looking for or can afford there's something that will work.

We've stayed at both, multiple times, no sign of a roach ever, or bedbugs, smoke, or anything else. Only issues we've ever had have to do with mold on the shower curtains. Both times, left a note with housekeeping, brand new shower curtain when we got back to our room that night.

Sometimes people like to make up how horrible someplace is in hopes of getting a bit of something for nothing, BTW.

Hey Dis friends. I have a room booked for four nights during the first week of April at Pop. I love the price and dedicated bus service. We were trying to go a low budget as possible because we're sailing with the mouse this summer. That said, I usually stay at Boardwalk (parents DVC) and my last value resort experience was less than stellar (last February). Anyhoo, I've been reading reviews on trip advisor and the bad reviews are REALLY BAD. Roaches at Pop pouring out of electrical outlets, terrible smoke smell in the A/C and repeatedly dirty rooms at Caribbean - anyone have recent experience. I know they're undergoing renovations at both resorts, but not sure if its to fix these issues. What would you do?

Thoughts:
- Never trust Trip Advisor
- Note you are going during a BIG spring break week, expect BIG crowds and lines
- Just left POP for second time in a month and saw NONE of those things
- In my @ 20 visits to POP have seen none of those things
- There is NO outward construction going on at POP, they will be renovating rooms
- You will not be placed in a building with the renovations
- There is no major construction going on at CBR at this time
- A project in south village by the pool and adding some food options
- Did you book a Pirates room?
- Friends stayed right by it this week and completely a non-issue
- Paperwork filed to begin some land work in the next couple months
- But you aren't staying there so why care?
- Neither project has anything to do with the complaints you are seeing???
- I would go ahead with my plans
- But it sounds like you have decided that since you are DVC you will not be happy there
- So not sure if I were you what I would do or if I would go

Last edited:

I'd stay at Pop. There are 'really bad' reviews even of the deluxe resorts. I try not to look at reviews too much because there are people who I swear just make stuff up for shock value. We just stayed at Pop two weeksa go. Our room was clean, plenty of hot water, housekeeping did a good job, the room was not too noisy, the beds were comfortable. We were happy, and we are looking forward to staying again in April (also the first week).

My first stay at Pop was after my last stay at the BWI.

That stay at the BWI, paying $300/night (after two discounts stacked, one with Orbitz), for just my DD and me, we had a room next door so loud, I called security. Twice. Maybe three times. I couldn't stand it. We both agreed it wasn't worth the cost, plus we like food to grab and go, and the Boardwalk Bakery is okay and all, but has very, very limited selection of food.

Then we stayed at Pop. We LOVED the selection at the food court, of salads, soups, pizza, etc. Our room was very quiet. The service was great. The bus service was great.

Just back from CBR. We had a room in Jamaica. I wouldn't say the room was immaculate but it was fine for us. I always bring Lysol wipes and did need to do a quick cleaning. The TV remote and phone were disgusting. Some of the furnishings (tops of headboards/tops of dresser handles) had a bit of what looked to be dust. All other surfaces and aspects of the room appeared clean - I still wiped down everything ;)

CBR is my favorite resort! I've stayed there 7 times!!! Only once out of the 7 times (the 2015 trip) did we have a smokey weird smelling room. We called and got our room changed and the new room had no smell - they moved our bags for us while we went to the park. I've never heard noise from the room next door ever. Never seen any bugs. My son looooooves the pirate themed pool. Never had a long wait for buses. Food court has a big selection. Gift shop is great.

You are going to find good and bad reviews on every resort in the world. Pop is a basic motel type resort nothing fancy but nothing horrible either. It might be a bit of shock to go from a deluxe to a value but I wouldn't worry about roaches and such, it is Florida and I don't care how clean you are, critters are going to get inside. I've stayed at Pop and I've stayed at CBR, I'm a deluxe sort of gal and I'll admit I wasn't crazy about Pop but it had nothing to do with critters, I just didn't like the motel feel and the crowded food courts and general areas. We loved CBR, had no problems at all there. I had no problems at POP either, my room was a little dated and yes there was a little bit of mold in the bathroom, but like I said, it's Florida, considering how many people go in and out of the rooms and the fact that the entire place is built on a swamp, it's to be expected, I've seen it in the deluxe rooms as well.

I've stayed at Pop about 5 times now and CBR twice. I've had mild housekeeping issues here and there at these and other resorts. Nothing major though.

I agree with those who say don't read the reviews on Trip Advisor. I was honestly so nervous going into our first stay at CBR because of awful reviews. It turned out to be a wonderful stay and this is now our favorite resort. We just went back last month and really just find it to be a fabulous resort at a great value for our family of 5. Pop isn't my favorite but it's my go to when I'm on a budget and traveling with only a couple people. The rooms are fine. Nothing fancy and only double beds, but again never had any major problems. My main issue with Pop is the same I have with other values. It just always seems so loud and chaotic. I prefer the laid back relaxing feel of the mods.

I stayed at CBR December 16-21 2015 and while I didn't love the resort, our room was very clean and recently renovated. I would stay there again if the price was right and I booked a preferred room, but it would not be one of my top choices. My family didn't like how spread out the resort was, we had bad luck with their busses, and their food court wasn't great. I stayed at Pop December 2016. This was my first time at a value. Our room looked a little tired, but it was not dirty. We had a great location and it is fine for a budget trip. It is of course a big downgrade from a moderate or deluxe, but you're still in Disney.

For the amount of time you spend in your room why spend more money than you have to. We are staying at Pop in October/November. We thought about staying at AKL but I could not justify the cost when all we do is sleep and take a shower in the room. If I was planning a trip with more down time at the resort I would probably go to a moderate or deluxe. This will be my 4 year old Granddaughters first trip and I think she will love the theming of Pop. We have stayed at CBR and loved everything except how spread out everything was.

Don't listen to the reviews!! Our worst experience to date was when we stayed at SS. We found our 1 bedroom villa dirty and overall the service was terrible. I'm sure it was just our luck the week we stayed but my dh vowed to never return. It was an expensive stay and we were so disappointed. I don't believe a clean room or better service is determined by the level of the resort. Many people will only stay value and with older kids and less breaks needed sometimes deluxe really makes no sense. No worries, have a great trip.

We stayed a CBR last summer and have stayed at Pop a couple times. Even though it's a value, I'd go with Pop. We just didn't like the layout of CBR (the pool, the grounds, the transportation, the Customs House). Don't get me wrong, we were at Disney and it was fine, and we'd survive again, but given the option, I'd rather stay at a value as opposed to CBR. Just for reference we've also stayed at ASMo, POR, CR, and Bay Lake Towers multiple times. While Pop will be nothing like what you're used to, it's not dirty or crawling with bugs either. I've seen roaches at MK, so seeing a roach outside isn't uncommon. Having said that I'd def. have issues with them being in the room, although luckily I haven't experienced that. It's FL, so it's just luck of the draw I guess. I've seen tons of lizards at all resorts I've stayed at, a snake at a couple (Pop included), but those were all outdoors and I don't think makes a difference if it's value or deluxe (remember the snake in the CR room??? yikes). You'll be fine either way, but given the option I'd do Pop and save the extra money.

Just got back from the pop last week. We haven't done an extended stay at a value before and I was also a little apprehensive. I found none of that to be true and was very happy with my stay. We are planning to be back at the pop in November. We have stayed at AKL, POFQ, and Coronado springs in the past. Pop has more concrete an less green space than those resorts, the pool isn't as lush and there isn't a slide, but the property was definitely clean and well maintained. No complaints on buses, if anything they were a bit MORE efficient than other places we have stayed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter