Pop Century - Which Room for Elderly Dad?

3hearts

Earning My Ears
Need advice for my Dad: we are attending a wedding at Disney and staying extra days, but my Dad can't walk well and will be at Pop Century when we are at the parks. We will pay for a preferred room, but what should we request: first floor so no extra walking to/from elevator? high floor so he uses the elevator but has a nice view from the balcony all day? How do we make sure his balcony view is not blocked by the figures I see on the outside of some of the buildings? I am thinking perhaps he can also take a bus to Downtown and find places to sit there. No point in buying park tix for him just so he can sit inside the gate and he will NOT use a wheelchair.
thanks for any advice!
ecisme

Need advice for my Dad: we are attending a wedding at Disney and staying extra days, but my Dad can't walk well and will be at Pop Century when we are at the parks. We will pay for a preferred room, but what should we request: first floor so no extra walking to/from elevator? high floor so he uses the elevator but has a nice view from the balcony all day? How do we make sure his balcony view is not blocked by the figures I see on the outside of some of the buildings? I am thinking perhaps he can also take a bus to Downtown and find places to sit there. No point in buying park tix for him just so he can sit inside the gate and he will NOT use a wheelchair.
thanks for any advice!
ecisme

I think it would be nicer to get a ground floor room close to the pool. That way he can walk out and have a seat by the pool and chill out....or go to the shop/food court easily. I think its better than using the elevator and having a room with a view. It would be different if the rooms had balconies, a top floor would be idea....but there are no balconies at POP. Lol.

thanks for your reply.
gee, i've never been to Pop century and the pix make it look like there are balconies. what am i looking at, wlakways?

thanks for your reply.
gee, i've never been to Pop century and the pix make it look like there are balconies. what am i looking at, wlakways?

Yes. You are looking at walkways - there are no balconies at POP - Here is a link to the map showing the preferred areas. If you want him to be on a ground floor facing the pool, I would request building 4 or 5, ground level. They are the closest to the main building.. But you will be getting a lot of traffic by his room and possible pool noise (if that matters).
If you request an upper level he may have a quieter stay, but again, no balconies, so no real view from the window.

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=17643531&postcount=2

While not quite elderly (close :rotfl2:), I do have knees that have betrayed me! I request a preferred ground floor room. During the summer I like to be near the pool. The noise was never overwhelming. During the winter I don't use the pool so I don't care which building. The reason for the ground floor is the elevators are in the middle of the building. You could end up with a longer walk using the elevators.

I would suggest getting a room directly next to the hippy dippy pool in either of those buildings. We had a ground floor room in bldg 5 but on the opposite side from the pool (top part of the yellow "L" drawn on the map) so while that building was close it still felt like a bit of a walk to the main building sometimes when we were tired or it was raining. 50's and 60's still beat the other buildings.

There are no balconies at Pop- I think you will want a ground floor room in the 60's area that is closest to the food court.

There are no balconies at Pop- I think you will want a ground floor room in the 60's area that is closest to the food court.

I agree!

Would he consider renting an ECV? My mom has very bad knees which give out on her frequently, causing her to fall. She desperately needs knee surgery, but refuses to have it done. When I took her to WDW the first time, she at first refused to even consider getting an ECV, but I finally talked her into it and rented one from Walker's Mobility. My mom is the least coordinated person in the world and she was very nervous, but she did great and loved having it. If he has trouble a member of your party could pull onto the bus for him. My mom's favorite activity is wandering around the World Showcase on her ECV. Because of her mobility problems, she had said that that trip would be her only trip. She has now made 5-6 more trips and even though she doesn't use an ECV around here, the first words out of her mouth when we start planning a trip to WDW is "Don't forget to order my scooter!". Your dad may love having the mobility, if you can just talk him into it the first time.

MYbe you could make a deal with him to please use an EVC one day (first day at parks). Maybe once he sees how many people use them there and the freedom it will give him, he will agree to use it on the following days. It makes me sad to tink of him staying at the room alone all day. There are SO many people in the parks in regular wheelchairs and EVCs. He could be wheeled right into a lot of shows and attractions- a lot of which are air conditioned. He could watch the parades and see the beautiful scenery while waiting for your group on some thrill rides, etc.

The only objection I have to a preferred room near the Hippy Dippy Pool is the music! We tend to be later sleepers - no rope drop for us! - and they turn on the speakers with the music at 8 AM and don't turn them off until around 8 PM! We couldn't sleep late, couldn't nap. If your dad is a light sleeper, this could be a problem.

I agree too! Request Bldg. 4 or 5, (preferred location) ground floor close to Classic Hall. When you make your ressie, tell them it's for elderly person with limited walking distance. Even when you check in, you can look at map and pick from available rooms. The elevators are in the middle of bldg. which can still be a long walk to your room, so if you want on upper floor I'd request close to elevator which can be a little noisy from people walking to their rooms.

Definitely first floor. And when you request your room, tell the Cast Member it's for medical reasons. Also, I would talk your father about what he wants to do during the day. You might also want to talk to you about using a walker (I know the EVC is out of the question) for this time. I'd also suggest you make sure he knows how to use a cell phone for emergencies.

I have a 81 year old father with Parkinson's who won't slow down and only uses a wheelchair when absolutely necessary. I know the male pride. Take extra time to make sure your father is totally comfortable.

everyone's advice is tremendously helpful. I wish my dad wiould use a wheelchair or evc but he is too stubborn. s we will jsut try to make the rest of the trip as good as possible. your repleis have given me a clearer idea of how to handle...i feel empowered.
thanks!
ellen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter