• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pop Century Wheelchair Accessible rooms??

homer424

Mouseketeer
Hello everyone! Wondering if anyone could answer some questions for me about these rooms?

We're going the end of August and staying at Pop Century and we're trying to decide whether we need to reserve a "accessible" room. My grandmother is disabled and sometimes needs a cane to walk or once in a great while, a wheelchair. Are the rooms any more "Accessible" than the regular rooms? Is it only the fact you can wheel into the shower?(which would be helpful since her shower is just a stall not a bathtub since it is hard for her to get in and out of one) Does she need to be in a wheelchair all the time in order to reserve it?

Thanks so much! This is our first trip back in 3 years and we are all very excited!

not necessary - just change your reservation NOW -to need handicapped room medical reasons.

yes the big different is the tub -- really lack of tub. some of us love the tub bath at Disney!

oh say you need a walk in shower. I think some have more of those handles and not the walk in shower.

and no she doesn't need to be in a wheelchair - but believe me she will definitely need one at Disney. It requires alot of walking. You can get one for free at the front desk/bell services/luggage desk.

if you don't want to push her -then reserve an offsite ECV. they are cheaper than onsite ones.

Yes, you need to ask for a wheelchair accessible room with a roll in shower. If she has any difficulties getting in and out of a tub, why force her to do that on vacation?

I'd rather get the most I could possibly need than to risk the slightest chance that some of my vacation will be spent in a hospital emergency room.

We stayed at POP and Asked for a king size bed and got a handicap shower .
Its was just a tiled floor with a slight tilt and a fold down bench and all handrails. be sure you ask for one with what ever your bed needs will be

We stayed at POP and Asked for a king size bed and got a handicap shower .
Its was just a tiled floor with a slight tilt and a fold down bench and all handrails. be sure you ask for one with what ever your bed needs will be

Just because you ask for a king bed room doesn't mean it will be fully accessible, not all of the king bed rooms have the roll-in shower.

You need to call Special Needs at 407-939-7807 and make sure they know exactly what you need so that it will be guaranteed. She will more than likely need a WC or ECV the whole time, because as a PP said, there is ALOT of walking. I am 34 and can't do it without an ECV, because of a previous knee injury and surgery and plantar fasciitis in both feet.

Suzanne

Just because you ask for a king bed room doesn't mean it will be fully accessible, not all of the king bed rooms have the roll-in shower.

Suzanne

Hi what I meant was they gave us one and we didn't ask for it. I don't know how many they have and what the room config may be.

Yes call Special; Needs ASAP so you can get what works for you.

There are 2 types of handicapped accessible rooms at WDW. There is more information in the disABILITIES FAQs thread in the disABILITIES Board (including a picture of a typical roll in shower and bathtub with grab bars). There is a link to that thread in my signature.

One type of handicapped room has a tub with grab bars and a built in seat at the end of the tub. You can also request a portable tub bench. That type of room is exactly the same as any other room, with the exception of some grab bars.

The other type is 'fully accessible" and has a roll in shower with a fold down seat. Those rooms are the same size as a 'regular' room, but the space is arranged differently. To make room for the roll in shower, the bedroom part is smaller and the bathroom is bigger.

It is possible to request a wheelchair at your resort, but they can't be reserved ahead of time and are first come, first served. There may not be one available when you get there, or if there is one, it may not meet your needs. If you really need to make sure you have a wheelchair, it's best to rent one from an off-site company.
You will also find information about wheelchairs in the disABILITIES FAQs thread.

Hi what I meant was they gave us one and we didn't ask for it. I don't know how many they have and what the room config may be.

Yes call Special; Needs ASAP so you can get what works for you.

Sorry, I misunderstood.

Suzanne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter