• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

POP Century~Unofficially the Grooviest FAQ Thread #9~November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
I switched to Pop, from Art of Animaton, so I could get the Memory Maker free. I wanted to keep the hotel costs as low as possible. Mainly, I wanted to return so I could spend as much time in the Magic Kingdom as possible. Turns out, I didn't know they were redoing the Hub. I have a five day parkhopper, and plan on spending part of each day in the MK. Magic Kingdom is my favorite park.

I have to agree. That's why I'm splurging for our next trip and trying out CSR for the first time in November. I'm hoping for a bit more relaxing vacation vibe that I just don't get at Pop (or any of the values). Pop is a fun resort, but SO hectic. Pop is our value resort of choice, but looking for a bit more this next trip.

I'm going in Mid - January, do you think it will be just as hetic? It's the off-season so I thought it would be less crowded and noisy.

I'm going in Mid - January, do you think it will be just as hetic? It's the off-season so I thought it would be less crowded and noisy.

We went this time earlier this year and crowds were great, weather was just a bit temperamental. Was chilly and raining most of the time, but we still made the most of it. As I understand the weather fluctuates greatly so you never know what you will get.

I sooo wish I still liked the tye-dye cheesecake. Since they changed it, It's just not the same. Sooooo disapointing:guilty:

I haven't been back to Pop since they changed it. What's different about it? I knew they now serve it in a little cup...have they changed the recipe? Does it taste different now? This makes me sad....

I haven't been back to Pop since they changed it. What's different about it? I knew they now serve it in a little cup...have they changed the recipe? Does it taste different now? This makes me sad....

It is soooo sad:guilty:
Not only is it 1/2 the size, there is hardly any cake. You can definitely tell it is machine made now.
Before:
tie-diye-cheesecake-whole.jpg

Now:
2Bsh1sa.jpg

I was sooooo disappointed. Not only have they changed the tye-dye cheesecake, they have taken the "mom's night out" menu away along with alot of their other signature dishes (that made the food court unique :sad: No more tv dinners, no more of their signature chicken penne pasta, no more shrimp lo mein and no more philly cheesesteak wrap. Everything our family loved is now gone so I am nervous about eating there in September. I am sure I will find something if we decide to eat there.
(PS. these are not my pictures, I borrowed them from disboards---I hope this is ok :scratchin)

I have to agree. That's why I'm splurging for our next trip and trying out CSR for the first time in November. I'm hoping for a bit more relaxing vacation vibe that I just don't get at Pop (or any of the values). Pop is a fun resort, but SO hectic. Pop is our value resort of choice, but looking for a bit more this next trip.

We have gone to pop three vacations in a row but when we went last November we decided to stay at a mod. Did a room only reservation at pofq then switched to POR. They were offering free dining at the time and we were celebrating my mother's 70th birthday so wanted to try something different. Love both resort's but I do not spend enough time to enjoy it. We're always in the parks and look at the resort's s a place to sleep,take a shower and eat. Our next trip we will be going with extended family. It will be there first trip to the world but want to save some money so we're going back to pop.

We have never gone in January but we have stayed at POP ever since they opened in 2003. We normally go in December but we have also been in mid August and this trip we will be there in September. We have never felt it to be hectic, overwhelming or overcrowded but we normally request the 50's or 70's section. It does seem to be more active in the 60's section around the hippy dippy pool but our kids love all the fun activities around the pool (games, movies and contests) so we do spend time in the 60's section.
We love POP but normally we are with some of our grandkids and POP is all about the kids (and kids at heart). If it were just DH and I, we may try a different resort that is a little more adult focused but for now we are excited to be POP'ers!!!:jumping1:

What drinks are available for the refillable mugs at POP?

We don't drink soda or coffee. I'm hoping for sweet tea or lemonade.

Also, do the mugs fit in the mini fridge?

What drinks are available for the refillable mugs at POP?

We don't drink soda or coffee. I'm hoping for sweet tea or lemonade.

Also, do the mugs fit in the mini fridge?

Yes to sweet tea and lemonade, as well as Powerade, hot tea, and hot chocolate. And yes they fit in the fridge.

58 Days and we will be home!! Cant wait Pop century here we come :) We have a standard room and I have a child with muscular dystrophy he is not totally disabled but he does have issues with walking where do you think is a good location to not be so far from the main building/bus area with a standard room? I have some ideas myself since we have been there numerous times but I want to see what others thinks also :goodvibes

It's been a few years since we stayed at POP, and now at least me, and possibly one or both of my parents will be coming back on a last minute trip for me to interview at WDW! Seeing as this trip is business, not vacation, I have some questions that wouldn't normally concern me.

Are the hairdriers really as bad as they say? Is it worth packing my own?

Would one of the chairs from the table fit under the vanity for getting ready? Not an issue if I go alone, but if I go with mom the table is her domain.

Which is easier, booking two rooms or bringing an air mattress. If all three of us go we need 3 beds. For me the cost of checked luggage for the air mattress isn't that far off from the cost of a second room if it made us more comfortable. (When we stayed at CBR we had to get my mom a cot and fitting it into the room was a serious problem. Had there been a fire we would have never made it out. Don't want to repeat that.)

Thanks all you groovy people!

Hey, groovy dudes and dudettes! :wave2: After 3 years going in February, I'm considering late April for a 2015 visit. I've been staying at POFQ the past 2 years and have loved it, but April rates are higher, so I'm taking a serious look at POP for the first time.

My dates would be April 18-24, 2015. (Easter is April 5 next year.)

Are there normally a lot of teen groups (domestic or international) at POP at that time? I've been during cheerleader and "fifteens" times in Feb but not at their resorts. I know some schools will still have Spring Break that late, but I'm thinking more of the huge group trips/competitions.

Also, if you've stayed at POP as a solo lady, how did you feel about it? I've felt fine at POFQ, and I'm sure POP is just as nice. I would probably spring for a preferred location, though, just so I'm not walking all over the place after dark. I'd just appreciate some feedback and encouragement regarding POP for solos.

Thanks!

Are there normally a lot of teen groups (domestic or international) at POP at that time? I've been during cheerleader and "fifteens" times in Feb but not at their resorts. I know some schools will still have Spring Break that late, but I'm thinking more of the huge group trips/competitions.

I'm one of those people that the large groups bother... not because of numbers but because of noise and attitude problems. ;) I don't notice them at POP at all. As for the dates, I'm not sure as April isn't our normal time to go either. I've stated at all 3 All Stars when they have been overrun, but haven't ever experienced that at POP. Hopefully someone who has been there at your time of year will be able to be more specific.

Also, if you've stayed at POP as a solo lady, how did you feel about it? I've felt fine at POFQ, and I'm sure POP is just as nice. I would probably spring for a preferred location, though, just so I'm not walking all over the place after dark. I'd just appreciate some feedback and encouragement regarding POP for solos.

Thanks!

I haven't exactly stayed solo, but I'm one who gets up sometimes before everyone else. Last time at POP I was up in the wee hours and even went walking all around the lake, and never ever felt uncomfortable as a young lady out and about by myself. Usually there are plenty of maintenance people zipping about, several joggers, and good lighting. But, if it makes you feel safer to be in the main area, I'd spring for a preferred (there is less walking). The biggest difference, for me between POFQ and POP is that at POP you notice more families with small children, and hence a higher noise level. I really love both places, and we are booked for POP for my next trip.

Most of my solo on site stays have been at Pop Century. While I'm not a late night person I have walked through the resort after park closing (11:00 PM-12:00 AM at the latest) many, many, many times and have never felt in the least uncomfortable. It's a very busy place and fairly brightly lit.

For the record I'm a smallish, 50-something female.

We stayed at Pop in 2012 and loved it. We have to go in the summer so we know it'll be crowded and we know it'll be hot......the walk over to AoA is great and their food court is spectacular (IMO)........My 9 yo daughter still talks about doing The Hustle in the lobby of Pop every night at 6.....great memories on that trip (just like every trip).

Ok hotel is paid we just added quick dinning and may upgrade to reg. We bought are plane tickets and our friends are joining us there now too. So can't wait to get there but we still have until Dec. Oh we were arriving 12/2 and leaving on the 9th but airline tickets were cheaper for 12/3 to 10th, so we swithed.:thumbsup2

I would def decide soon if you're going to upgrade your dining package before all the good reservations are gone for TS meals! :)

I returned from my stay recently. I requested ground floor 60s and got second floor 60s, so I guess it was okay. Unfortunately, I don't think I will be staying at Pop or any value again. I stayed at Pop my last 4 visits, and while I loved it and it fit the needs for my vacations, I think it is time for a change. I am planning longer, more relaxed vacations in the future and will be looking for an upgrade. There are just too many people at Pop and the lines for buses are awful, plus the pools are crowded and it gets so noisy at times. I will miss Pop, and maybe return some day, but it's just not for me now.

I can totally respect your review. I'm the complete opposite and don't mind how busy it can be. I must eat at off times because the food court for us has never been a zoo. I have stayed at all levels and maybe it has been luck but Pop has had the best bus services. Plus can I say how much I love the que lines at the values. The past 2 times we stayed at a moderate this was my biggest issue. People cramming to get on the bus and not exactly in a nice way. One time we Were the first people at the stop and never even got on the bus. We had to wait for the next one.

We are there for 17 days and I always get time to just chill out.

58 Days and we will be home!! Cant wait Pop century here we come :) We have a standard room and I have a child with muscular dystrophy he is not totally disabled but he does have issues with walking where do you think is a good location to not be so far from the main building/bus area with a standard room? I have some ideas myself since we have been there numerous times but I want to see what others thinks also :goodvibes

This map might help. My daughter, my mother and myself all have EDS which impairs our mobility just enough to be annoying and uncomfortable but not enough to be wheelchair bound. When I have requested to be close to Classic Hall, I have had it noted that we are traveling with someone with a disability and we have always received our request. It would probably be more useful to have that type of information noted rather than a specific area requested. I would make sure you call it in or have your TA call it in for you so that it's noted that your son has a disability. Have you requested a HA room?

http://s962.photobucket.com/user/br...PopCenturyMap2012RoomCategoriesFINAL.jpg.html

It's been a few years since we stayed at POP, and now at least me, and possibly one or both of my parents will be coming back on a last minute trip for me to interview at WDW! Seeing as this trip is business, not vacation, I have some questions that wouldn't normally concern me. Are the hairdriers really as bad as they say? Is it worth packing my own? Would one of the chairs from the table fit under the vanity for getting ready? Not an issue if I go alone, but if I go with mom the table is her domain. Which is easier, booking two rooms or bringing an air mattress. If all three of us go we need 3 beds. For me the cost of checked luggage for the air mattress isn't that far off from the cost of a second room if it made us more comfortable. (When we stayed at CBR we had to get my mom a cot and fitting it into the room was a serious problem. Had there been a fire we would have never made it out. Don't want to repeat that.) Thanks all you groovy people!
I was pleasantly surprised by the hair dryer. It was good enough. I love my hair dryer at the house, so I had been concerned. We flew, so I didn't want to take mine. I was happy with Pop's hair dryer, it did the job. I'm not positive about the chair at the vanity, I think you would be very far down from the vanity top. But I have not tried it, but that is what I'm thinking from memory. I would go two rooms, the air mattress would be a hassle I think. Not a large amount of floor space, and just the hassle of it..I'd go with another room. :)

Oh and congrats on interviewing at WDW! Jealous!!! Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter