POP Century~Unofficially the Grooviest FAQ Thread #8~July 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got our fridge letter today, check in on the 21st. From what I'm seeing here, though, it seems like they're filling them quickly.

You can select a decade (50s, 60s, 70s, 80s+90s) but not a specific building in a decade. I chose 50s and close to transportation during check in (you can only select two options) and ended up 2nd floor of building 1 (50s section).

:thumbsup2

I also wanted to let anyone who is interested know that another option when checking in on line is "room ready upon arrival" or something similar.

Back in April, the kids and I drove up for a few days while we were visiting relatives in FL. It was a short trip and we didn't really care what section we were in. But, we were arriving in the morning and really wanted to unload the car and head right out to the parks. So, rather than pick a decade, we picked the room ready option.

We arrived around 10 and our room was ready. We were in the 50's section (non-preferred) kind of facing the lake/ walking path. It was a nice, quiet location.

Anyway, if you are going for an extended trip and have your heart set on a location, then this is not the option for you. But, for anyone arriving early and really wanting to get right into their room, it's a great choice.:goodvibes

Just a note from recent experience: if you have the MSEP FP+, just stay put after the parade. I wish I had. The Wishes Viewing area was not in a great location.

Thanks! I decided to go ahead and changed one of our + to the MSEP and we are planning to stay put for Wishes ;) Looking forward to being close enough to actually see the projection show!

Posted in old thread in error....
Ok..we leave this Wednesday! Nailing things down. At POP for breakfast, we are considering eating in our room a couple days, or hubby and I eating oatmeal in the dining area while the kids eat from the paid menu. They have a microwave in the eating area, and we can bring oatmeal from home--we eat that daily anyway Also--coffee, I can get my mug filled for free with dining plan. It might not be great coffee, but it'll work for "free" Anything I'm missing in this plan that won't work?

jska482 said:
Posted in old thread in error....
Ok..we leave this Wednesday! Nailing things down. At POP for breakfast, we are considering eating in our room a couple days, or hubby and I eating oatmeal in the dining area while the kids eat from the paid menu. They have a microwave in the eating area, and we can bring oatmeal from home--we eat that daily anyway Also--coffee, I can get my mug filled for free with dining plan. It might not be great coffee, but it'll work for "free" Anything I'm missing in this plan that won't work?

We're ordering from the garden grocer for breakfast food....bagels, cream chs, oatmeal, cereal etc. We'll get coffee from the food court because its free, and free is good.

Last year at ASMo we brought individual boxed cereal from home and picked up a half gallon of milk at the resort to keep in the room fridge. We fly, so the space the cereal took up left space for souvenirs on the easy home.

It worked perfect for us because we are not big breakfast eaters when we first get up. While one was in the shower, the other ate. It held us over and allowed us to get to the parks early because we never had to deal with the busy food court in the mornings!

Even though we had more food than we knew what to do with on the dining plan, we will be doing this again in a few weeks at Pop. It saved us so much time in the mornings!

Last year at ASMo we brought individual boxed cereal from home and picked up a half gallon of milk at the resort to keep in the room fridge. We fly, so the space the cereal took up left space for souvenirs on the easy home.

It worked perfect for us because we are not big breakfast eaters when we first get up. While one was in the shower, the other ate. It held us over and allowed us to get to the parks early because we never had to deal with the busy food court in the mornings!

Even though we had more food than we knew what to do with on the dining plan, we will be doing this again in a few weeks at Pop. It saved us so much time in the mornings!
I second this! We don't do the dining plan, but agree it's a real time saver! We also only have one coffee drinker in the group - and we pack this small coffee maker. We fly and it doesn't take up too much room. We just wrap it with some small hand towels in the suitcase. :)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00006IUVD

We got our letter today, too. I would kind of rather have the $15/night credit. :laughing: POP didn't even have fridges until last year, so we had been accustomed to managing without one for years. Wouldn't mind the extra spending cash, but we'll be happy either way. :goodvibes

I agree we would get $150 for it if we don't have one

Here now. Requested 50s section with a king room but was not able to get one. Not a big deal. The 50s section is so nice, very quiet, and really close to the main building and bus stop. We did not get a fridge letter before we left but I asked at the desk upon check in and they brought a new one to our room within minutes!

Have only had a cookie ice cream sandwich in the food court but it was delicious and literally as big as my head! We are going here for lunch today and I have my eye on the salmon burger. A bit disappointed as I was looking forward to trying the tie dye cheesecake and the way it is served now is very unappetizing to me...it looks a bit like play doh in its little round plastic cup...really no red velvet cake on the bottom. I am looking forward to trying the cotton candy lemonade though! I know some people are disappointed in the new menu but I think the variety they have is quite nice. The food court always seems packed no matter what time we go. I don't know if it's just me but pop and the parks seem at so much more crowded than last year at this time.

Mousekeeping has done a fabulous job keeping our room spotless and left us a few towel animals which are so cute! No new bedding yet.

We are testing the magic bands and love them. They aren't the most comfortable things in the world but the convenience is unreal. We have not had any issues with them so far. Don't forget to ask for your free glow in the dark magic band 2013 slider when you check in! I want the cupcake slider set from the gift shop so badly but not enough to spend $16 on it ;)

The buses have been the only frustrating part of staying here. We seem to somehow always miss the bus we need by three seconds...I mean it's always pulling away as we chase after it. Every bus we've taken has been packed full and we end up standing. Gotta give up those seats to the poor people carrying babies! No matter how tired I am I know they need to sit more than I do! No matter what time or which park we've gone to there has not been a single bus that hasn't been packed full, or that we've waited the full 20 minutes for. We've taken the AoA bus a few times now and walked over the bridge which has been much faster, and is a beautiful walk. We had dinner at AoA the other night which was fabulous. Their food court was empty even at prime dinner time. I had the surf and surf burger and my guy had the pastrami burger. We both loved our meals there and are looking forward to going back.

Oh and we have the new rapid fill mugs which we've used at AoA, so they refill at other resorts for now which is nice. We've been filling there after getting off their bus and walking over the bridge to the 50s.

It's a bit of an eye opener for us after staying at a (very quiet) moderate last year. As much as I love the theming of this resort we have already booked the bounce back offer for next year at POFQ to try something new. It is just too crowded for us here at the value so we are going to give another moderate a try. That said the room and resort themselves are very nice, but we are willing to spend a little more for the amenities at the moderate.

Oh and In case anyone is wondering the BB offer is free dining until 9/29/2014 at a moderate, deluxe, or villa. I've heard you can call and ask about FD at the values.

I hope that helps someone out there! Thanks to all of you who helped me plan MY trip! :)

So when are the new fridges supposed to be installed in all rooms? We will be there Nov. 16....should we have any problems with a fridge?

Mom22girls56 said:
So when are the new fridges supposed to be installed in all rooms? We will be there Nov. 16....should we have any problems with a fridge?

They seem to slowly be making their way into the rooms at POP just from what I've read on here. We're going 10/26-11/2 and we're doing a garden grocer order. I'm hoping they'll be in place by than. If not I guess we'll order a styrofoam cooler too and use ice from the ice machines.

FYI had the salmon burger for lunch and it was awful. Such a strong ginger taste and not much else. My guy had the sloppy joe but hated the onion rings. A bit disappointed, but this is our only meal here. Had a dirt and worms cup for dessert and really enjoyed it.

Staying at POP in October but only planning on having one CS meal there in ten days. I haven't seen a picture thread for menus, anyone seen one or is there anyone going before 10/6 that could provide a couple?

We're ordering from the garden grocer for breakfast food....bagels, cream chs, oatmeal, cereal etc. We'll get coffee from the food court because its free, and free is good.

That's a good idea. I think it's too late for garden grocer for me, but I think we'll be ok with what we have. I'm concerned about business of food courts, so I brought a back up plan to eat in room. :)

Here now. Requested 50s section with a king room but was not able to get one. Not a big deal. The 50s section is so nice, very quiet, and really close to the main building and bus stop. We did not get a fridge letter before we left but I asked at the desk upon check in and they brought a new one to our room within minutes!

Have only had a cookie ice cream sandwich in the food court but it was delicious and literally as big as my head! We are going here for lunch today and I have my eye on the salmon burger. A bit disappointed as I was looking forward to trying the tie dye cheesecake and the way it is served now is very unappetizing to me...it looks a bit like play doh in its little round plastic cup...really no red velvet cake on the bottom. I am looking forward to trying the cotton candy lemonade though! I know some people are disappointed in the new menu but I think the variety they have is quite nice. The food court always seems packed no matter what time we go. I don't know if it's just me but pop and the parks seem at so much more crowded than last year at this time.

Mousekeeping has done a fabulous job keeping our room spotless and left us a few towel animals which are so cute! No new bedding yet.

We are testing the magic bands and love them. They aren't the most comfortable things in the world but the convenience is unreal. We have not had any issues with them so far. Don't forget to ask for your free glow in the dark magic band 2013 slider when you check in! I want the cupcake slider set from the gift shop so badly but not enough to spend $16 on it ;)

The buses have been the only frustrating part of staying here. We seem to somehow always miss the bus we need by three seconds...I mean it's always pulling away as we chase after it. Every bus we've taken has been packed full and we end up standing. Gotta give up those seats to the poor people carrying babies! No matter how tired I am I know they need to sit more than I do! No matter what time or which park we've gone to there has not been a single bus that hasn't been packed full, or that we've waited the full 20 minutes for. We've taken the AoA bus a few times now and walked over the bridge which has been much faster, and is a beautiful walk. We had dinner at AoA the other night which was fabulous. Their food court was empty even at prime dinner time. I had the surf and surf burger and my guy had the pastrami burger. We both loved our meals there and are looking forward to going back.

Oh and we have the new rapid fill mugs which we've used at AoA, so they refill at other resorts for now which is nice. We've been filling there after getting off their bus and walking over the bridge to the 50s.

It's a bit of an eye opener for us after staying at a (very quiet) moderate last year. As much as I love the theming of this resort we have already booked the bounce back offer for next year at POFQ to try something new. It is just too crowded for us here at the value so we are going to give another moderate a try. That said the room and resort themselves are very nice, but we are willing to spend a little more for the amenities at the moderate.

Oh and In case anyone is wondering the BB offer is free dining until 9/29/2014 at a moderate, deluxe, or villa. I've heard you can call and ask about FD at the values.

I hope that helps someone out there! Thanks to all of you who helped me plan MY trip! :)

Thank you so much for this update!! We requested to stay lakeside in preferred 60s so we could go that route if needed :)

Staying at POP in October but only planning on having one CS meal there in ten days. I haven't seen a picture thread for menus, anyone seen one or is there anyone going before 10/6 that could provide a couple?
I will be getting there on 10/4 but that's not going to be enough time in advance to help you. :)
If I remember I'll take a photo for future reference.

Is there info on the cost of cab rides to or from Pop and the parks? In particular I'm considering grabbing a cab back to catch ME instead of worrying about getting to the bus to get there on time. I took a peak on transportation and didn't see it there.

TIA!

Is there info on the cost of cab rides to or from Pop and the parks? In particular I'm considering grabbing a cab back to catch ME instead of worrying about getting to the bus to get there on time. I took a peak on transportation and didn't see it there.

TIA!

I took a cab from Pop to Polynesian for breakfast and then rode monorail over to MK. I also took one from Pop to Contemporary for dinner and then rode monorail over to MK. Each cab ride was about $20.

I also took a cab from Boardwalk (near Epcot) to Pop and I can't remember exactly but I want to say around $15 for that one.

Hi! Just arrived today for a quick trip staying with my sister. I will be sure to take pix for you. Will have to be will my phone so I can upload them timely for you. :) Been meaning to update this info anyway :)

Btw, paid for standard, upgraded to preferred. :)

Weather was great today, we lucked out with a cancellation for BOG, so we added in MNSSHP.

Awesome night!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter