POP Century~Unofficially the Grooviest FAQ Thread #7~Sept 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well crud, I just tried to add the request of a king bed and was told that king beds cost more and that I would have had to book a king room, that it can't be a request. I asked if it could just be noted on our account that we'd like one if available and she said there was no way to do that for a king, unless she went and looked up to see if one was available for those dates and that the king rooms cost more....etc.

I tried looking online to see if the Pop had a king category when booking and they don't.....so how would you book a king room?

Call back wrong info!

Ahhhhhh. After not staying here on our last vacation (and REALLLLLY missing it!) I just booked this morning for an 11 night trip to Pop next August. Cannot wait!

On our last trip we bussed to Pop and walked over to AoA. However, walking into Pop was SO like "coming home". I was truly sad we weren't staying there (and we were coming from AKL!).

Nothing like Pop. The sights, the sounds, the smells, the vibe. LOVE IT!

Looks like we will be there the same time. We booked before we left. Wanted to make sure we got our FD again.:cheer2:

cool pics! I wasn't sure I was excited about staying here for a night in Dec. now I think I am! it looks fun! I'd like to get a room out back,near the lake, is that considered special? We have a car..I like the farther out places....:thumbsup2

:) Bldg 3 or 2 would be a good fit (50s) ... the parking lot is convenient and you can be in a lake view room ... there ARE pretty special.... ::thumbsup2

Ahhhhhh. After not staying here on our last vacation (and REALLLLLY missing it!) I just booked this morning for an 11 night trip to Pop next August. Cannot wait!

On our last trip we bussed to Pop and walked over to AoA. However, walking into Pop was SO like "coming home". I was truly sad we weren't staying there (and we were coming from AKL!).

Nothing like Pop. The sights, the sounds, the smells, the vibe. LOVE IT!

Perfectly stated. :hippie: We are booked for next August too, as well as several others ... and suspect more will be poppin' in if FD is released for next August. It's hot, humid but we love it!! :cool1:

We'll be heading down in just under two weeks for our 4th stay at Pop. I love so much about Pop:
-the value prices make it a good choice for an economical trip
-the food court is a cut above many others on property
-bus service has always been at least acceptable, if not superb
-the loose and funky "feel" of the place
-how surprisingly compact it is (such an easy walk between any two points!)

Even having stayed at moderate and deluxe levels before, I still find Pop suitable for our family (two adults and two teens) although I do wish the beds could be a smidge bigger.

I'm due to arrive on the 31st so I had inquired about this and since we won't get there until later... I figured I wouldn't want to go to a park that late and DTD might be a zoo with the locals... so here is what I was able to find out...
This is last year's schedule. I would think this year's would be similar but at least this could be a starting point??

POP Century Halloween Activities
Candy Apples
Trinkets
Trick or Treat bag decorating
Popcorn Hands
Coloring
Temporary Tattoos
Cookie Decorating
Lollipop Ghosts
Face painting (extra cost)
DJ 4:30-8:30pm
Haunted Maze dusk-9pm
Halloween Goofy 5:30-8pm
Costume Parade 7:45pm (kids walk around the pool area)
Trick or Treating 8-9pm
Ghost Stories 9-10pm

Thank you stitchlovestink for providing us with this list of Halloween happenings and activities that you enjoyed last year .... let's hope POP continues to offer all these activities for the kids (and adults :)) this year. ::yes::

So I have my reservation for May 2013...

And I have it booked so I have a priority room with pool view (60's building I'm told). But after much thought, I don't think I want the pool view. I'm worried at the noise (only at night) in the pool area when I'm trying to sleep.

So I think I might just take the priority room (with no pool view), but of course wanted to add a request :) So between 50's, 60's and 70's - if you could choose - which area do you like best. I have 2 boys.. 6 and 5 years old.

And I have it booked so I have a priority room with pool view (60's building I'm told). But after much thought, I don't think I want the pool view. I'm worried at the noise (only at night) in the pool area when I'm trying to sleep.

So I think I might just take the priority room (with no pool view), but of course wanted to add a request :) So between 50's, 60's and 70's - if you could choose - which area do you like best. I have 2 boys.. 6 and 5 years old.

I always request the 50's now. Preferred in either building 1 or 3 put you close to Classic Hall, but not facing the pool. The 50's section has its own nice Bowling Pool too.

I have a question about the keyboard next to the computer pool. I never paid much attention, but is it made out of that soft-ish foam stuff that they use at the play areas? It looks a couple inches thick, and smooth (like the keys aren't raised).

(I know, this is a completely odd question, but isn't that what message boards are for?)

Thanks!

How are the beds at Pop? For example I love the beds at CSR, but hate the new beds at POFQ. I hate a hard mattress and want one that's fairly soft.

At home I have a 6" memory foam mattress on my bed with a gel top on top of that and use a big, soft, memory foam pillow. I don't expect Pop beds to be that comfortable, but how do they compare to say the ones at CSR or POFQ?

DS20 and I got back last night -- we had an OUTSTANDING trip! Got what I asked for at Pop -- 60's, lake view. It was nice! We had one issue with the room -- the toilet wouldn't stop running, so we called and they fixed it while we were gone for the day. No towel animals, which disappointed DS a little, but no big deal.

Everything went very well -- we got out on Monday on an earlier stand-by flight, so we were at Disney 5 hours before we thought we would be. Both flights left and landed right on time. We rarely had to wait for a bus. ME was great. Did the F&W -- had lots of terrific food (and none of the W -- I don't really drink, and DS20 is .... well, 20). DS did American Idol -- hadn't planned on it, but decided once we got there. (He didn't win, but they did the hour's video package on him -- that was a lot of fun -- they guy who won (not sour grapes, just bemusement) wasn't as good a singer as DS, but had the underdog thing going for him, we think -- had never been on a stage, sang a country song -- and the video package highlighted that DS is a professional musician. Oh well. It was lots of fun anyway. We saw the Dapper Dans -- one of DS's favorite things. Listened to the Voices of Liberty, which blew DS away. I had a great trip with my wonderful son, and I was very happy to be able to do that!

And the trip was made even better -- DH got an offer for a terrific job (he's been out of work since May) and started Wednesday. I start my new job on Monday, so we're all employed!

Thanks everyone here for the help with Pop questions! I really appreciate it. And Aubriee, the beds are really hard.

PS -- I left my jacket in the room -- realized it on the ME bus to the airport and called Pop right away. They transferred me to Lost & Found. Anyone have success getting something left behind mailed to you?

I think I posted on the last POP thread, but then I switched my resort several times. :confused3 Now I am back at POP and very excited to see it in 64 days!!! This thread is really great. Trust me, I have read a lot of resort threads in the last few weeks. :rotfl2: This one is a great balance of friendly and informative. All of the excitement about POP is one of the things that made me switch back, especially those of you that stayed somewhere else, but said you were coming back to POP next year.

:) Bldg 3 or 2 would be a good fit (50s) ... the parking lot is convenient and you can be in a lake view room ... there ARE pretty special.... ::thumbsup2

Perfectly stated. :hippie: We are booked for next August too, as well as several others ... and suspect more will be poppin' in if FD is released for next August. It's hot, humid but we love it!! :cool1:

Ya know, I went this August for the first time, and I was really nervous about how hot and humid it would be and (while, it was humid!) it was just like back home here in MN. And we actually really loved it! It was great. School still out in MN, but not in the south so it was pretty uncrowded. We loved having an excuse to swim. Otherwise we usually keep putting it off, and never get around to it. it was nice to take it so slow!

I am hoping they offer FD, too. But still going either way! August now is our fave time....since we can't go anymore while school is session since both kids are in school now....

PS -- I left my jacket in the room -- realized it on the ME bus to the airport and called Pop right away. They transferred me to Lost & Found. Anyone have success getting something left behind mailed to you?

I got a postcard in the mail once that said I had left something at POP. I called the number to tell them I didn't think I was missing anything, but then they described one of my Disney shirts and I told them it WAS mine.:rotfl: It was a white shirt and it was jumbled up in the towels. They mailed it to me right away for free. :goodvibes

Ya know, I went this August for the first time, and I was really nervous about how hot and humid it would be and (while, it was humid!) it was just like back home here in MN. And we actually really loved it! It was great. School still out in MN, but not in the south so it was pretty uncrowded. We loved having an excuse to swim. Otherwise we usually keep putting it off, and never get around to it. it was nice to take it so slow!

I am hoping they offer FD, too. But still going either way! August now is our fave time....since we can't go anymore while school is session since both kids are in school now....

We've gone the last few Augusts, too. Actually met the coolest DISer last time -- our own Janet B! Anyway, I'm always surprised at how many days when I'd talk with DH about how things were in Michigan, his high temperature of the day would be higher than what we were having a WDW.

I got a postcard in the mail once that said I had left something at POP. I called the number to tell them I didn't think I was missing anything, but then they described one of my Disney shirts and I told them it WAS mine.:rotfl: It was a white shirt and it was jumbled up in the towels. They mailed it to me right away for free. :goodvibes

That happened to my sister when her family stayed at POR. One of the kid's PJ shirt got left in the bed when she was packing up to leave. They got a postcard and the PJ shirt was mailed to Minnesota after she called to confirm it was, indeed, their shirt.

WDW does an excellent job with lost and found. I once left a little cosmetic bag with my contact lenses and solution on a bus when we got off at TL. I immediately missed it and talked with Guest Services. They said they'd try to track it down and have it sent to Pop. Well, I was sure I was never going to see that bag again. Lo and behold, when we got back to Pop later that night, I asked at the front desk and the CM went to the backroom. She came out about 5 minutes later with my bag and everything that was in it. Awesome!

If you are lucky enough to be down there today, RUN don't WALK to MK! They are doing soft-openings today with the LM ride and forest open! No word on how many days if any it will be open.

SPOILER: Pics can be found at http://www.wdwmagic.com/.

So jealous, I have to wait another 2 weeks!

11 days until my two youngest and I check into POP!! We are so excited. We've stayed at a couple of other resorts and visited others, but POP is home. Can't wait to be there again!!

I'm debating a couple of things about this trip. We're contemplating either purchasing bottled water from Target/Walmart or walking over to AoA to buy a case of water which I had read was offered over there. I guess we could try Garden Grocer as well. Does anyone know how much the case of water at AoA is or if they are still offering it? Has anyone had apartcularly good experience with shipping water from Target/Walmart? What about Garden Grocer? We are bringing our refillable Kleen Kanteen bottles as well, but want to have extra bottles just in case. Thanks for the help! :goodvibes

Yeah we are 17 days from arriving at POP for Halloween. Can someone please provide the diminsions of the window and door so we can decorate our room for the holiday.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Yeah we are 17 days from arriving at POP for Halloween. Can someone please provide the diminsions of the window and door so we can decorate our room for the holiday.

Thanks in advance for your help!

The window dimensions are: 37 3/4" X 59". I don't know about the door. Maybe someone else can POP in and help us out on that one. :hippie:

We're decorating our window at POP for Halloween as well! Happy planning! :goodvibes

I always request the 50's now. Preferred in either building 1 or 3 put you close to Classic Hall, but not facing the pool. The 50's section has its own nice Bowling Pool too.

Agree with jcarwash ... the 50s is a great location - preferred or standard. :thumbsup2 Just to point out, the preferred areas are are the same side as the pool, but down closer to Classic Hall (with one pref area on the backside of bldg 1, facing the parking lot).

70s is a great area as well, convenient to Classic Hall and busing. :goodvibes Your 2 boys might love the foosball area in the 70s. :)

How are the beds at Pop? For example I love the beds at CSR, but hate the new beds at POFQ. I hate a hard mattress and want one that's fairly soft.

At home I have a 6" memory foam mattress on my bed with a gel top on top of that and use a big, soft, memory foam pillow. I don't expect Pop beds to be that comfortable, but how do they compare to say the ones at CSR or POFQ?

Not soft. On the hard side. You might want to rethink POP or bring a memory foam mattress (if you are driving). :goodvibes

We actually are very used to August now too. :goodvibes We love the cheaper seaons, slightly lower crowds, discounts/FD, and, we like it hot to swim so we are pretty much guaranteed that!! :rotfl2:

And with my DD in 9th grade this year with very little time off in the school year, it is August for vacatons. :)

We've gone the last few Augusts, too. Actually met the coolest DISer last time -- our own Janet B! Anyway, I'm always surprised at how many days when I'd talk with DH about how things were in Michigan, his high temperature of the day would be higher than what we were having a WDW.

:wave2: Thanks Sandi ....I told everyone that I met a pretty cool POPer too!! :hippie: I hope we can meet up again this August! :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter