POP Century ~ Unofficially the Grooviest FAQ Thread #5 ~ Sept 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I haven't posted for awhile but read these boards constantly! We just returned from Pop and flew Southwest. We checked in while visiting Epcot our final day using our IPhone 24 hours in advance of our departing flight out of Orlando in order to get the best boarding group. After we got back to the resort later, we stopped at check in and they printed the boarding passes for us. The next morning, we received our check out info on our door with Magical Express info. They had also printed our boarding passes so we really did not have to stop at the front desk to request a printout.

We had a great stay; did online check in, but had requested 50's section while making the initial reservation. While checking in they gave us 60's; I like that section so did not question it. We got a lake front room in building 4; really happy with location as it was quiet but a quick walk to food court and busses.

Busses were great; no problems at all. Never had to wait more than 10 minutes at most. FWI to those sensitive to smoke (as I am) during our stay they moved the smoking area from left hand side of sliding glass doors (going toward lobby) to area right side of ping pong table. Better, but there was still plenty of people smoking, especially around tables near Hippy Dippy pool bar; this was alowed to continue with no-one (at least that I saw) stopping them.

Jeanne

Jeanne, thank you so much for taking the time to share your POP experience. It is always nice for our many first timers to read a recent review and regular POPers just love hearing about their favorite resort!

So glad you had a great stay. :goodvibes I love that lake view too!:thumbsup2

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to thank everyone on this thread for sharing their wonderful experiences at POP.
A couple of weeks ago I was able to schedule a last minute 2 night trip to the World, and due to the short notice needed to stay at a value resort. Having never stayed at one, I turned to The Dis for help. I've been reading posts for a while and decided on POP.
I leave in exactly 2 weeks today :cool1:

So happy the Thread has been helpful! What fun to have a short last minute WDW trip. Hope POP is great and you have a wonderful stay and WDW visit.:goodvibes Happy planning! :)

Here is a photo of two of the current mugs. I would have included the really pretty Caribbean blue one, but apparently DH took it with him to work. :thumbsup2
377332_10150347381587894_674127893_8210316_1552285999_n.jpg

My husband didn't ask me what color my mug was before he bought our DD9 one, so we both have pink. I have to keep track of which is mine because princess: doesn't like the smell of coffee in her mug. I wash them by hand with hot soapy water, yet they still get coffee stains and have a coffee smell. DH got the blue one. There was I believe a yellow one and at the Pop, I saw an orange one. I visited about 10 resorts in August and not all the resorts had the same colors available. But everyone seemed to have the Caribbean Blue and the Pink.

When we were at Pop in August We got a Green , Pink, Black, Carribean Blue, Orange Mug and they also had Purple 10 Days later when we were leaving they only Had Black and Pink! I guess we were lucky right time and right place we all got a different colors so no one could fight over mugs!! ;) The Orange was my mug and I got so many compliments and people wanting to know where I got it ?? Since the orange went quick :)

I'm wondering if Pop has an elevator because we will have quite a bit of luggage. Or do they even offer to help with it?

This is our first stay onsite so we have no experience at all, but this tread was a lot of help.

Yes, there are elevators in the middle of every building and if you goto Luggage services they will be more than happy to help you with a cart and take your luggage to your room!

Trying to decide if i should do online check in for thanksgiving arrival around 7pm anybody who has checked in at that time any suggestions??? We have an ADR at Cape May at 8:30 what do you all suggest...:worship:

Trying to decide if i should do online check in for thanksgiving arrival around 7pm anybody who has checked in at that time any suggestions??? We have an ADR at Cape May at 8:30 what do you all suggest...:worship:

IMHO, definitly do on line check in. If your arrival is around 7pm, I assume your plane is scheduled to land around 5-5:30pm??? If the regular check in is 30+ min long it will be hard to make your reservation. With on line check in everything will be ready for you, they will take your luggage for you and you can head out to your ressie. The best way to get to Cape May is to take the bus to Hollywood Studios, then take the boat to the Beach Club to Cape May and pray that you don't have to wait long for either the HS bus or the boat :rotfl:

IMHO, definitely do on line check in. If your arrival is around 7pm, I assume your plane is scheduled to land around 5-5:30pm??? If the regular check in is 30+ min long it will be hard to make your reservation. With on line check in everything will be ready for you, they will take your luggage for you and you can head out to your ressie. The best way to get to Cape May is to take the bus to Hollywood Studios, then take the boat to the Beach Club to Cape May and pray that you don't have to wait long for either the HS bus or the boat :rotfl:

:wave: While I don't usually like on line check-in, in this instance I agree, definitely it is definitely the way to go. Even with on line check-in there can be a long line, especially during a holiday. Depending on the time (sounds like it could be tight), I would recommend a cab - the boats at HS do not run all that often (ever 20 to 30 mins) and are slower than molasses! If you don't mind walking, it is about a 15 min walk from HS to Cape May - a very nice walk along the water and much faster than the boat. I always want to get off the boat and push it along.:rotfl:

Have a fabulous trip!! :goodvibes Busy, but beautiful time to visit.:thumbsup2

We are checking into PoP in 28 days and have a question. In all of our trips we have never used online checkin and wanted to know if there is any advantage doing this instead of checking in the day we arrive. Our plane lands at 9:15am and am hoping to be at the hotel by 10:30am or so. We did book a preffered room for the first time also.

Thanks for any information

We are checking into PoP in 28 days and have a question. In all of our trips we have never used online checkin and wanted to know if there is any advantage doing this instead of checking in the day we arrive. Our plane lands at 9:15am and am hoping to be at the hotel by 10:30am or so. We did book a preffered room for the first time also.

Thanks for any information

:wave: If you do not have any preference for a room location then online check usually works out great. If a busy season, the line can be as long, sometimes longer than regular check-in. If you have a particular room location requesting, then it best, according to CM's, to go to the regular check-in line. Although online can and will make rooms changes, that line designed to keep guests moving quickly through the process, so the resort prefers for guests who might request a room change to use the regular line.

We are not fans of preferred because some of those rooms are not great locations (i.e. the pref rooms on the inside corner of the 50's bldg 1 faces thick trees, but is very close to parking).

Bldgs 4 & 5 have some fabulous room locations that are no longer preferred.

Hope this helps and have a great trip!! :goodvibes

Christine & Janet

Just made my reservations for next week. YAAAAAAAY!!

If I'm looking for a quiet room, any suggestions on what I should put in my request?

For anyone staying at Pop this month, the November movie schedule ! :)

Disney's Pop Century Resort Movie Schedule

7:00PM - By the Hippy Dippy Feature Pool

Sunday - Enchanted
Monday - Alice in Wonderland (2010 - Rated PG)
Tuesday - The Rescuers
Wednesday - Lilo & Stitch
Thursday - Meet the Robinsons
Friday - Dumbo
Saturday - Up

Sunday - Enchanted
Tuesday - The Rescuers
Friday - Dumbo
Saturday - Up
Thanks! I've been wanting to know that. :)

Our plane won't be landing until 11pm on Nov. 30, so we won't get to POP until well after midnight (we are going to have a rental car). Will be able to check in at the desk? and could you suggest a room that is quiet but not too far out. (we only are paying for a standard room) Thanks so much...

Just got in last night.

Here's my short version:

Got in around noon and one person was in front of me at online check-in. Got to the counter quickly to find none of my room requests had been met. (asked for 60's facing the lake, was given 90's facing the street) (same thing happened to me at ASMo last year - it's like they didn't even read it) He proceeded to search for a new room with my requests with took forever. The 60's were full, so I asked for 70's lake view, which he found. He had to call baggage services, write all kind of things down, make new keys, etc. He was very nice, but it took over 25 minutes.

We got a 1st floor, 70's room, at the very end of the wing, facing the lake. It was a VERY quiet room, which I loved. You could cut across to the Hippy Dippy Pool easily. It was about 4 minutes to Classic Hall and the buses.

The room was very clean when we got there. We had a non-updated room at ASMo last year, so this one seemed great comparably. The TV was really nice, and the curtain in front of the bathroom helped me - I always got up an hour before everyone else. (I could make coffee and check email.)

Only 1 bar of AT&T service in my room - usually none. That was a pain for me, as I was uploaded pictures to Flikr every day for my students and one bar just won't cut it.

Asked for lots of extras the first few days - bedrails,(DD4 fell out of bed the first night!) 4 pillows, 2 more blankets, etc, and all came within 10 minutes.

ME luggage was there within 30 minutes of our arrival, even though we changed rooms. They also brought down our fridge we were using through a fridge swap.

There was plenty of room for a twin air mattress near the door. Unfortunately, it bothered DS8 this year and he and DH wrestled in the bed for the rest of the week. We are getting two rooms next year!

A/C never got real cold. It said 68, but it wasn't. (and wouldn't go lower) I told the front desk, and when we came home that night they had fixed it so that the temp would go lower. It said 65 and was better.

Only ate at Everything Pop once. We had lunch - turkey sandwich and beef and blue sandwich. Both were meh, but DH said he liked the tie-dyed cheesecake. The turkey sandwich at Starring Rolls was 100 times better.

The store had everything we needed. I seemed to miss a few things on our list this year - pull ups for night time, toothpaste, and then needed Immodium for kids at one point.

Room was cleaned really well each day. No towel animals, but always extra soap and shampoo since I had asked for it the first day.

I slept fine on the beds - not the best hotel bed I've slept on, but it was fine for me for 7 nights. I slept like a rock every night.

Bus service was awesome. Never waited more than 10 minutes for a bus both at Pop and the parks. 75% of the time either walked on a bus or waited less than 5 minutes. Had to stand a few times, but that was at expected times - a park closing and a few rope drops.

Hippy Dippy was NOT heated. It was 80 during the day and mid 60s at night. We got in and immediately got out. We did the bowling pin pool the next night and it was much warmer.

The only "recreational activities" we did was Halloween night. The kids put on their costumes and we went down for the crafts and parade. Then after, they had "trick or treating" (8 long tables by the pool with CMs handing out candy)

Between the music and the nightly movie by the pool, it was very loud in that area. I can't see having a room facing the pool if you wanted to go to sleep before 10:30. (that's us, we do rope drop every day)

ME on the way back - they sent us a letter that was worded very strongly not to be late, and to be 15 minutes early, as the bus would leave right on time without us. We were there 20 minutes early, and the bus was 10 minutes late. Not a huge deal, but they make you wait on an island in the middle of the bell hop circle drive drop off area. Think small circle of cement in the middle of an area where buses and taxis are driving around. Then having to wait with small children - not very safe at all. Maybe for a few minutes, but not 20 or 30.

All in all, a great trip, nice room and will stay there again.

Overheard on the ME bus on the way home last night:
DS8: Dad, when are we going to start planning our next trip?

Just made my reservations for next week. YAAAAAAAY!!

If I'm looking for a quiet room, any suggestions on what I should put in my request?

Lakeside facing room, 4th floor, 50s and 60s areas.

Have a great time! :banana:

Sunday - Enchanted
Tuesday - The Rescuers
Friday - Dumbo
Saturday - Up

Thanks for the info!! :goodvibes

Just got in last night.

Here's my short version:

Got in around noon and one person was in front of me at online check-in. Got to the counter quickly to find none of my room requests had been met. (asked for 60's facing the lake, was given 90's facing the street) (same thing happened to me at ASMo last year - it's like they didn't even read it) He proceeded to search for a new room with my requests with took forever. The 60's were full, so I asked for 70's lake view, which he found. He had to call baggage services, write all kind of things down, make new keys, etc. He was very nice, but it took over 25 minutes.

We got a 1st floor, 70's room, at the very end of the wing, facing the lake. It was a VERY quiet room, which I loved. You could cut across to the Hippy Dippy Pool easily. It was about 4 minutes to Classic Hall and the buses.

The room was very clean when we got there. We had a non-updated room at ASMo last year, so this one seemed great comparably. The TV was really nice, and the curtain in front of the bathroom helped me - I always got up an hour before everyone else. (I could make coffee and check email.)

Only 1 bar of AT&T service in my room - usually none. That was a pain for me, as I was uploaded pictures to Flikr every day for my students and one bar just won't cut it.

Asked for lots of extras the first few days - bedrails,(DD4 fell out of bed the first night!) 4 pillows, 2 more blankets, etc, and all came within 10 minutes.

ME luggage was there within 30 minutes of our arrival, even though we changed rooms. They also brought down our fridge we were using through a fridge swap.

There was plenty of room for a twin air mattress near the door. Unfortunately, it bothered DS8 this year and he and DH wrestled in the bed for the rest of the week. We are getting two rooms next year!

A/C never got real cold. It said 68, but it wasn't. (and wouldn't go lower) I told the front desk, and when we came home that night they had fixed it so that the temp would go lower. It said 65 and was better.

Only ate at Everything Pop once. We had lunch - turkey sandwich and beef and blue sandwich. Both were meh, but DH said he liked the tie-dyed cheesecake. The turkey sandwich at Starring Rolls was 100 times better.

The store had everything we needed. I seemed to miss a few things on our list this year - pull ups for night time, toothpaste, and then needed Immodium for kids at one point.

Room was cleaned really well each day. No towel animals, but always extra soap and shampoo since I had asked for it the first day.

I slept fine on the beds - not the best hotel bed I've slept on, but it was fine for me for 7 nights. I slept like a rock every night.

Bus service was awesome. Never waited more than 10 minutes for a bus both at Pop and the parks. 75% of the time either walked on a bus or waited less than 5 minutes. Had to stand a few times, but that was at expected times - a park closing and a few rope drops.

Hippy Dippy was NOT heated. It was 80 during the day and mid 60s at night. We got in and immediately got out. We did the bowling pin pool the next night and it was much warmer.

The only "recreational activities" we did was Halloween night. The kids put on their costumes and we went down for the crafts and parade. Then after, they had "trick or treating" (8 long tables by the pool with CMs handing out candy)

Between the music and the nightly movie by the pool, it was very loud in that area. I can't see having a room facing the pool if you wanted to go to sleep before 10:30. (that's us, we do rope drop every day)

ME on the way back - they sent us a letter that was worded very strongly not to be late, and to be 15 minutes early, as the bus would leave right on time without us. We were there 20 minutes early, and the bus was 10 minutes late. Not a huge deal, but they make you wait on an island in the middle of the bell hop circle drive drop off area. Think small circle of cement in the middle of an area where buses and taxis are driving around. Then having to wait with small children - not very safe at all. Maybe for a few minutes, but not 20 or 30.

All in all, a great trip, nice room and will stay there again.

Thanks for the taking the time to write a review and happy to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay. It is weird about noting requests and getting the complete opposite ... but glad you stuck it out and was given a room closer to your requests ... end room, in the 70s lakeside is very nice (and quiet) as you found out. :) I’ve heard that the heater at the Hippy Dippy pool was broken … plus they are doing work around the pool of some sort (it may tie into that). Good to hear that the housekeeping and the busses were operating well during your stay. It was nice that the CM’s handed out candy on Halloween night. The kids must have loved being able to "treat or treat" and have the parade and activities as well.

Welcome back! :goodvibes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter