POP Century ~ Unofficially the Grooviest FAQ Thread #5 ~ Sept 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've stayed at Pop our last two visits (Christmas '09 & '10), planning a third holiday visit for December, and really tempted by the queen beds at the renovated POFQ. DW and I enjoyed a week there back in '97 (probably with a King bed), but with two kids (DS11 & DS9), life is different now - and we all love POP.

A week at POFQ is $250 more than POP, like $20/day. What about POP will we miss if we bump up to POFQ?

Note that we're park-geeks who don't spend a lot of time at the resort, but food court and park transportation are important to us. (Kids like the Hippy Dippy Pool, too, but only once or twice in a week.)

Thanks!
We stayed at POFQ alot in the past. Actually the past 2 times we stayed there we had not so great mousekeeping. For us to upgrade to a moderate for our stay this year for 10 days was 750.00. But we also prefer the QSDP beacuse we stay for longer and just don't like to be scheduled to much. IMO there isn't much diffrence in room size so I just prefer to go longer. We are booked for 14 nights for next year. :woohoo:

I'm leaving for POP in 4 days!!! :woohoo::yay::dance3: This will be my family's 6th or 7th time staying there. We've always stayed in the '80's section bottom floor save for last trip. We were put in the '90's building, 2nd floor. Of course, I was pregnant for that trip :rolleyes: I kept arguing with my folks about what section we were in. They insisted we were in the '80's even though it was obviously the '90's building. :confused3

This trip will be my DD's 1st WDW trip! I can't to see what she thinks of POP. We always decorate our room window. If you see a window in the '80's section that has a sign saying "coneygoil on disboards", that's me! :banana:

We'll be there the same time ... may have to look for your window!

I have not stayed at POFQ, but the refurb/queen beds are a nice plus (and the boat to DTD :)). But only $20/day more?? Are you on FD? How does that figure out?

POP is now showing movies by the Pool, and offer other great activities (check the FAQ thread Post 2) for a link to last month's activiites flyer for a sampling of what's offered. Three pools; great food court, great arcarde and great transportation. And I hear POP it is beautifully decorated at the holidays. And, we just love the overall theming of POP in general.

What would you do with the difference in price? Maybe take the $$ diff and go to the MVMCP or a nice dinner, especially since your family enjoys a lot of park time.

Tough decision!

DOH! Sorry about my math - it's a $235 difference over 8 days, so an additional ~$30/day on average. That's a MYW package with hoppers, but no dining (we visit during xmas week when FD isn't offered).

I suppose we could reallocate the extra money to something like the dessert party and/or mini-golf - but honestly, we'd probably just consider it "savings".

This is likely to be our last WDW trip for many years (kids getting too old to take out of school), and I'm just sensing that my boys might be taking the resort for granted after two previous stays, so a change of venue might freshen things up a bit. Plus, as they get bigger, the bed they have to share gets relatively smaller, so the queens at POFQ would be welcome. I just don't want to have to hear "why did we leave POP? I miss the <insert POP feature>" all week long! :confused3

I put everything we need for the first 24 hours in the carry on. Trust me, airlines can delay your luggage. My husband has flown 3 times and his luggage has been delayed twice. That's the best part for me about letting ME handle the luggage. If you handle your own luggage and it gets delayed, you can't leave the airport until you fill out paperwork. That is not a fun way to start your vacation. If you let ME handle it and it get delayed, ME will handle the paperwork and you will probably never even know there was a problem.

What do you do with stuff you need for the park but can't put in your carry on? The first thing I am thinking of is a big bottle of sunscreen I definitely bring more than 3 oz! I mean I do pack the essentials in my carry-on like toothpaste, change of underwear, etc but the 1 quart- 3 oz rule makes it almost impossible not to have one checked bag for the week.

What do you do with stuff you need for the park but can't put in your carry on? The first thing I am thinking of is a big bottle of sunscreen I definitely bring more than 3 oz! I mean I do pack the essentials in my carry-on like toothpaste, change of underwear, etc but the 1 quart- 3 oz rule makes it almost impossible not to have one checked bag for the week.

We weren't saying not to pack a checked bag. Just make sure you have the essentials in case something happens and you don't get your luggage.

My flight last year was direct from Seattle. I don't know why or how but my niece's bag was sent to LAX. They eventually got it to MCO and ME/BAGS got it to our room.

I have one small container of sunscreen in our carry on. The big bottle is in the checked luggage.

Take 3 oz of sunblock etc till you get your checked bag. If you don't want to check a bag either buy the sunblock etc from the gift shop which will probably cost as much as the checked bag. Have one of the grocery delivery companies deliver what you need. Or get a priority box from the post office for one cost for all you can get in it and send it to yourself at the resort about a week ahead of time.

Oops, just realized I missed the beginning of this conversation so I misunderstood what was asked.

Target sells travel sized (less than 3 oz) tubes of sunblock. I pack a couple of those in my carry on so I have it upon arrival. I wouldn't survive Disney without my sunblock. Plus you never know if your luggage will get lost or not, so its nice to have a couple of travel sized ones just in case you are waiting a day or two for your bag to show up.

We check a couple of bags, too, but you don't need to have everything you'll need for your trip with you right away.

I pack a complete change of clothes, a pair of pajamas, tooth brush, toothpaste, sunscreen, deodorant, cosmetics, medications, and travel documents in my carry on.

Everything else can go in my checked luggage and be handled by DME because even if I don't get it until the next morning, I already have everything I need to start my trip.

DOH! Sorry about my math - it's a $235 difference over 8 days, so an additional ~$30/day on average. That's a MYW package with hoppers, but no dining (we visit during xmas week when FD isn't offered).

I suppose we could reallocate the extra money to something like the dessert party and/or mini-golf - but honestly, we'd probably just consider it "savings".

This is likely to be our last WDW trip for many years (kids getting too old to take out of school), and I'm just sensing that my boys might be taking the resort for granted after two previous stays, so a change of venue might freshen things up a bit. Plus, as they get bigger, the bed they have to share gets relatively smaller, so the queens at POFQ would be welcome. I just don't want to have to hear "why did we leave POP? I miss the <insert POP feature>" all week long! :confused3

Why don't you ask your sons?? Yes, value rooms can be tight with 4 people, and queens are nice especially as the kids get older. See what they say about the 2 resorts.

Just curious -- still trying to figure out the $$ issue. Looking at the rates for xmas week I find a $75/day diff between POP and FQ ... (rack rate, std view both) ... so wouldn't that be $600 over 8 nights savings if you take POP? What am I missing? :confused3

Why don't you ask your sons?? Yes, value rooms can be tight with 4 people, and queens are nice especially as the kids get older. See what they say about the 2 resorts.

Just curious -- still trying to figure out the $$ issue. Looking at the rates for xmas week I find a $75/day diff between POP and FQ ... (rack rate, std view both) ... so wouldn't that be $600 over 8 nights savings if you take POP? What am I missing? :confused3

I used the vacation package planner on the Disney site, entered our dates, people in our party, and the amounts were $235 apart - $2521 vs $2755. Maybe the difference is I added Preferred Room for POP, but not for POFQ (didn't think preferred would be as important at POFQ as it is at POP).... That would reduce the difference.

Good idea to ask the boys, but I know they'd choose POP, if only because it's the only place they've stayed and they love it. But if you never try something else, you'll never know, right?

Thanks for the feedback, by the way!

EDIT: Oh I am an idiot. My POFQ package didn't have hoppers, so you're right, Janet, the difference is more like $460. Take off the Preferred at POP to compare apples to apples, and there's your $600. Sorry for the confusion. Looks like this is a moot question, not sure I can justify that big a difference, especially when no one's asking to upgrade. :laughing:

I used the vacation package planner on the Disney site, entered our dates, people in our party, and the amounts were $235 apart - $2521 vs $2755. Maybe the difference is I added Preferred Room for POP, but not for POFQ (didn't think preferred would be as important at POFQ as it is at POP).... That would reduce the difference.

Good idea to ask the boys, but I know they'd choose POP, if only because it's the only place they've stayed and they love it. But if you never try something else, you'll never know, right?

EDIT: Oh I am an idiot. My POFQ package didn't have hoppers, so you're right, Janet, the difference is more like $460. Take off the Preferred at POP to compare apples to apples, and there's your $600. Sorry for the confusion. Looks like this is a moot question, not sure I can justify that big a difference, especially when no one's asking to upgrade. :laughing:

Ok that make more sense to me. When we looked at upgrading for 10 nights it was around 750.00. For the 2 weeks next year I think it is over 1000.00.

Is anyone else having trouble doing online check in? I tried both reservations- the room only and the Free Dining Pkg. It won't even let me do the Free Dining one as it contains both letters and numbers.

I was however able to see our dining reservation in the background and I noticed a big mistake. I somehow booked Coral Reef on the wrong day. I was able to grab one on the correct day but now it's a late lunch at 3:15pm. I'm glad I noticed that now and not at the restaurant-Yikes that would be :o and :sad2:

Actually we normally always fly out of DFW but found a better deal out of Austin this time. We always drive up there because the flights out of Corpus are typically 200-300 more a seat

We do the same thing (from Lubbock) flights were much cheaper out of Dallas so we are driving up spending the night with my mom then headed to the world!

Well that clears things up! Do you like preferred? Or it that just what is available? We never booked preferred at Pop ...we like lakeside rooms ...that would be another way to save you $120. I say stick with POP as the kids (and you two) enjoy it so much. Treat yourself to a nice dinner or two with the savings. :thumbsup2

And I hear you on juggling the whole Disney trips/pulling kids out of school. It's why we vacation in late August to avoid the school issue, get lower rates and FD the last few years. I like longer trips. :)

and squirrel ... glad you were able to snag another Corel Reef ressie!! :banana:

I was able to do the online check in for the room only. I can't find a way to do the free dining pkg. Maybe because the CM linked them together?

I was able to do the online check in for the room only. I can't find a way to do the free dining pkg. Maybe because the CM linked them together?

Maybe ... why don't you call and ask? I've never checked in online before and usually only have one ressie.

But if I understand correctly, you still have to go to the registration area to officially "check out" of the room only ressie and "check in" for the FD, right?

Edit: Oh, I think I get it -- you want to do online check in for FD portion so you take advantage of using the online check in line the morning you check out from the room only ressie, right?

Why does it seem I'm talking in circles? :rotfl:

Yes, I want to do the online check in for the Free Dining reservation but it keeps bringing up the room only reservation and won't let me check in for the Free Dining one.

I did have to put in my check out time for the room only reservation, I can't recall if they asked that last year or not.

Yes I do know that I need to check back in at the front desk. I just want to do the online check in as it seems faster. The CM said she would link the two reservations so the CM's know that we are staying for a total of 15 nights and we might not have to switch rooms.

Well that clears things up! Do you like preferred? Or it that just what is available? We never booked preferred at Pop ...we like lakeside rooms ...that would be another way to save you $120. I say stick with POP as the kids (and you two) enjoy it so much. Treat yourself to a nice dinner or two with the savings. :thumbsup2

And I hear you on juggling the whole Disney trips/pulling kids out of school. It's why we vacation in late August to avoid the school issue, get lower rates and FD the last few years. I like longer trips. :)

We like Preferred at POP for the shorter walk to Classic Hall; don't really care about any view - though it was neat being able to watch the midnight fireworks from our 4th floor 60s room on NYE.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of pulling the kids out of school, but my wife has a summer business here on Cape Cod, so taking a vacation between May and October is out of the question. Plus we drive to WDW (yes, we're insane), so we need two weeks to make the trip worthwhile - and I can only take two contiguous vacation weeks at my job around the holidays.

Believe me, our bank account would much prefer that we travel during lower rates and free dining, but it ain't happening for us.

So it looks like "POP3: Because We Like It" will be opening this Christmas. :3dglasses Thanks for the advice - and math lesson!

Yes, I want to do the online check in for the Free Dining reservation but it keeps bringing up the room only reservation and won't let me check in for the Free Dining one.

I did have to put in my check out time for the room only reservation, I can't recall if they asked that last year or not.

Yes I do know that I need to check back in at the front desk. I just want to do the online check in as it seems faster. The CM said she would link the two reservations so the CM's know that we are staying for a total of 15 nights and we might not have to switch rooms.

We were able to check if we were switching rooms at check in. they gave us the same room no problems.

We were also told when checking in that they would bring our keys to our room for our FD package that started 2 days later. But I just went down to the front to take care of it. I'm glad next year we don't need to do a room only beacause it was a hassel checking in 2 times. The wait in regular check in was over a hour both times. Next year I'm using online check in for sure!!:thumbsup2 I think the wait was so long beacuse it was the start of FD and everyone was doing the same thing.

We like Preferred at POP for the shorter walk to Classic Hall; don't really care about any view - though it was neat being able to watch the midnight fireworks from our 4th floor 60s room on NYE.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of pulling the kids out of school, but my wife has a summer business here on Cape Cod, so taking a vacation between May and October is out of the question. Plus we drive to WDW (yes, we're insane), so we need two weeks to make the trip worthwhile - and I can only take two contiguous vacation weeks at my job around the holidays.

Believe me, our bank account would much prefer that we travel during lower rates and free dining, but it ain't happening for us.

So it looks like "POP3: Because We Like It" will be opening this Christmas. :3dglasses Thanks for the advice - and math lesson!

You're welcome! Glad I could help.

Can't convince my family to drive, it's 3 against 1! :) Cape Cod is fabulous! Growing up our vacations were camping with our Pop up trailer ... no WDW for us. But plenty of New England travels.

So.. a twist on the movie/tagline .... now back by POPular demand ...."The POP Trilogy: Because we Feel the Love" :hippie:

TR title?? Enjoy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter