POP Century ~ Unofficially the Grooviest FAQ Thread #5 ~ Sept 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Fridge Swap I'm running is booked for both your stays.

I have lots of openings in 2012. I also have the last week of Dec. 2011 open.

EPCOTBill, during TS Faye in 2008 I was offered a better rate calling rather than stopping by the front desk - although I am thinking the front desk offered the current rate you were paying.

During TS Faye I did wind up switching to POP from SSR (WL had more discounted rates available) and did pay rack rate.

I was there during TS Faye too. Stocked up on some food from Earl and WPE just in case we were stuck in our SSR studio. Thank goodness for the refrig and microwave .... although we did go out and were never stuck in the room. What a lot of rain!!! :scared1:

any word about if refridgerators are going to be in all the rooms at POP w/o a fee?

have one on request for our visit coming up on sept 25th with a cost per night. would be nice if this was free.

11 more sleeps until we fly down!!! :banana::banana::banana:

I think it is just a rumor right now. I would love to see it. But not sure it will happen.

Have a great trip.

Unfortunately, Disney Resorts are behind the times when it comes to guests checking accounts on the TV. The only way to know the charges is to stop by the front desk and request a print out.:thumbsup2

Or you could keep up with all of your receipts and keep a running total. Most people don't want to deal with that on vacation, but it works for us. We stayed at CR, CL. I went to the front desk every couple of days and paid down our balance. I hope to stay at Pop someday! I have a very short bucket list, but I'd love to stay at every WDW resort before I die. Two down, lots more to go!

Hi everyone :goodvibes

We ll be arriving at Pop at the end of next week :woohoo:

This will be our 3rd time staying here, we :love: Pop

Usually a few days before we leave we send a fax over to our resort requesting which building we would prefer as well as floor.
So far in all the resorts we ve faxed, we ve always been lucky & had our requests met.

We ve not been to wdw in 2 years so just wanted to double check that its still ok to send resorts faxes with room requests?

Many thanks :thumbsup2

Hi, POPers!

When the refrigerator rumors can be confirmed as true or not, we will post it here and update the first page of the thread.:thumbsup2

Please remember to check the first page before asking here as we work hard at keeping it updated. ;)

If anyone has confirmed information about a rumor, please pm myself or Janet B.

Thanks much!!:goodvibes
Minnie&Nana & Janet B
(Christine & Janet)

I was there during TS Faye too. Stocked up on some food from Earl and WPE just in case we were stuck in our SSR studio. Thank goodness for the refrig and microwave .... although we did go out and were never stuck in the room. What a lot of rain!!! :scared1:

A LOT of rain!! I was so glad to be very close to the food court and lobby at POP!

We would have stayed at SSR in the one bedroom we had, but SSR was completely sold out and of course, so many trying to stay longer due to TS Faye. I was very lucky POP was available as it was during free dining.

They did put us in a preferred location, 4th fl, bldg 5, 60's Hippy Dippy Pool for std rate. I was glad to have the experience of staying in that location as many guests either love it or hate (due to noise levels from the pool). The noise didn't both us but I can understand how it might bother some guests.:goodvibes

Hi everyone :goodvibes

We ll be arriving at Pop at the end of next week :woohoo:

This will be our 3rd time staying here, we :love: Pop

Usually a few days before we leave we send a fax over to our resort requesting which building we would prefer as well as floor.
So far in all the resorts we ve faxed, we ve always been lucky & had our requests met.

We ve not been to wdw in 2 years so just wanted to double check that its still ok to send resorts faxes with room requests?

Many thanks :thumbsup2

Hi!
It is preferable to have your room request(s) noted on your reservation at the time of booking. The word from Disney is that they don't really encourage room requests by fax; however, there has been a fluctuation on this issue throughout the resorts. If you would like to send a fax, please keep in mind to do so no sooner than 10 days prior to arrival or later than 4 days prior to arrival.

Have a wonderful time. :goodvibes

Janet & Christine

Hi, POPers!

When the refrigerator rumors can be confirmed as true or not, we will post it here and update the first page of the thread.:thumbsup2

Please remember to check the first page before asking here as we work hard at keeping it updated. ;)

If anyone has confirmed information about a rumor, please pm myself or Janet B.

Thanks much!!:goodvibes
Minnie&Nana & Janet B
(Christine & Janet)

Christine when I go next month I will ask my CM friend Elise if the rumor is true !! She tipped me OFF about Animation a good 18 months befoe they announced it !!!Sooo she may have something on the fridges at POP!!!!

I was able to modify our March 2012 reservation to Standard Pool View by phone last week. Not sure why disney website is not showing this level.

That is not a bookable catagory...it is a request I am guessing. It may be honored, but not guarenteed.

No we did not....my husband didn't want to repack. Our last stay at the Pop we were on the 3rd floor and didn't have as much toilet flushing, now that you mention it...lol! My husband just reminded me that our trip before this was at ASMO and we had an adjoining room and did not hear the "neighbors" so I don't think that was the problem, maybe they were just really loud talkers after all. It was still a great place to stay, but I wanted to share our experiences just to inform others.

I have been in and adjoining room a couple of times and never had noise from the room beside us, I am betting it was a family of loud talkers. :rotfl:

For some reason I thought GNomeo and Juliet wasn't a Disney movie? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Elton John was on the today show and he said it was a Disney project for years and then they shelved it, so he took it over and completed it...so it does have Disney ties.

This is just my review of the resort and in no way represents the views of the DIS.
Now that thats out of the way....
The PoP Century resort is a nice resort for the value. This is an honest review of my thoughts on this resort based on other stays I have had at other Disney Resorts. Before I start I am not a snob and have only stayed with my family at All Star Resorts in the past.
I believe that when I made these reservations I was expecting more.
Price- is slightly higher that the All Star Resorts, for what reason I am not sure.
RESORT- is no better than those other than it being newer.
ROOM itself was nice and clean. Everything you would expect out of a Disney Resort. We were in room 7138, the 80's Section. One of the further away rooms. I will not comment on that though. That is the luck of the pick and whether you payed more for a preferred room, which we didnt. The grounds were great, but really no better than the All Stars. A lot of these comparisons will be based on the All Stars since they are in close in style.
POOLS- were nice, but the main pool is better designed and near the main building. The other pools appear to be a after thought. Dont get me wrong, they are pools, but do not compare in size, nor ammenities to the main pool. I believe this was a poor design, and if you are not lucky enough to be in the 50's or 60's building you are just out there unless you want to walk. From our location it was about a 10 minute walk to the main building.
FOOD COURT- is a nice area but in no way accomodates the crowds that this resort can have. We were there this week, during the low season and it was full. I would hate to see it during the busy season. There is no way this food court could accomodate its guest during the busy season. There were hardly enough tables now let alone when its summer. Something needs to be done about this.
STORE- was good, and had just about everything Disney you could want without going to the parks. The Home section was small, and had very little should you have forgotten something at home.
SERVICE- was great. The counter workers were nice and did everthing for their customers. One thing to watch is on check in they only give you a $500 limit on room charges, even if your credit card has more. So dont get caught like I did in the parks being told that you are over your limit. I had to go back to the desk where they chatged another $500 to the credit card to set your room charges back to $0. Just something to watch out for.
ARCADE- was good. The children enjoy it, and kills some time on those lag days at the resort.
BUS SERVICE - was ok at best. Mornings were no problem, but leaving the parks was a pain. You do have service to your resort only, but the waits are crazy. Like before I would hate to see it if the resort was busy.
OVERALL - Although the resort is nice I would not pick this over an All Star Resort. There was nothing there that made it better, other than it being newer. We stayed here to try something different and expecting something just a little more.
In my opinion Disney is starting to outgrow itself on resorts. Now they are building another to be completed soon. Other than the bus service there is beginning to be no reason to stay on property other than the bus service which really a lot of the area hotels have anyway. Speaking of which people were getting on those buses at the parks with no problems and no crowds. The price of the tickets combined with the stay is what brings customers to the resorts now. If you could get the cost at an outside hotel Im sure a lot more people would be staying off property.

I have to say that everyone has different opinions and it becomes more of what you are used to. I am a Pop lover and recently stayed at AS Movies (and Yacht club)
Pop RULED in the bus situation over both those resorts. I waited for over 30 minutes for a bus from Mk to AS Movies. In that time I saw at least 3 Pop buses go by.
I agree both resorts are similar. I do like the set up of Pop slightly better, but it's what I am used to.
The rooms at both places are almost identical now that AS Moives is being refurbed.
The food court...I was amazed at how small the AS movies one was, but then I realized it is a slightly smaller resort....but I ate at around 2:30 and was amazed how busy it was at that time of day. I personally like the set up of Pops better too, but again, thats what I am used to.

There is pretty much no difference in the pools. One main pool and two more quiet pools. I actually think the Pop pools are themed a bit better..well except for the computer pool, which I don't find very creative.
I love Pops gift shop...and it is among one of the best at all the resorts....that is actually written in books. (along with Pops food court being the best)

As other have said, the $500 limit has been there for quite some time....and it is on the paper you sign. I was amazed at YC that I had a $1500 limit. :woohoo:
I was like you with my choice after staying at AS Movies...I would go back to my home..... Pop. :banana: I would consider staying at Movies again, but I preferred Pop. It just has the "home" feel to me...but that is the 1st Disney resort I have stayed at.
Pop does not currently cost more than the other AS's, but it will next year.

Has anyone heard any rumors about fridges being installed at the value resorts? I saw a rumor earlier this month but cannot find the thread now?

Has anyone heard any rumors about fridges being installed at the value resorts? I saw a rumor earlier this month but cannot find the thread now?

There are several threads about that rumor and so far that's all it is, a rumor.

I am pretty sure that Pool View Standard is a new booking option for 2012 as I was charged the extra $5.00 per night when I upgraded from just Standard. Also, I found the booking option explained when you go onto the Disney website under POP rooms so I do not think it is just a request but we will find out when we check in March 2012.

I am pretty sure that Pool View Standard is a new booking option for 2012 as I was charged the extra $5.00 per night when I upgraded from just Standard. Also, I found the booking option explained when you go onto the Disney website under POP rooms so I do not think it is just a request but we will find out when we check in March 2012.

I believe you are right. :goodvibes When I looked up next year's room options, I came up with a Preferred Room View and a Pool View as two separate rate options. Another way for Disney to squeeze a few more dollars from us. :sad2:

I think you are correct too. The 2012 listings on Pop Century's Rates & Room Types page (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/pop-century-resort/rates-rooms/) lists four room types - standard, preferred, pool view, and preferred pool view.

But using the disneyworld.com online booking system, the fourth pool view choice does not seem to be listed yet. This would not be the first time their online system was missing something. :goodvibes

I believe you are right. :goodvibes When I looked up next year's room options, I came up with a Preferred Room View and a Pool View as two separate rate options. Another way for Disney to squeeze a few more dollars from us. :sad2:

So far on the travel agent site, it doesn't show the 4th catagory. I would think it would be on there if it was..they just updated the site a few weeks ago. But that part is a seperate part of the site, so maybe not. So far it only shows standard, Preferred and preferred pool.

We are checking in for our first stay at Pop in 10 days. :cool1: I'm wondering what the best way to do a room request would be. Ideally we would love to be in the 60's rooms but on the bottom floor since my grandma is going with us. Is is better to go ahead and early check in with those requests or should I call and add them? We didn't do any requests last time we went so I don't what the best way to do it is. Thanks!!

I think you are correct too. The 2012 listings on Pop Century's Rates & Room Types page (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/pop-century-resort/rates-rooms/) lists four room types - standard, preferred, pool view, and preferred pool view.

But using the disneyworld.com online booking system, the fourth pool view choice does not seem to be listed yet. This would not be the first time their online system was missing something. :goodvibes

Thats weird, because it is only listing TWO catagories for me?

Thats weird, because it is only listing TWO catagories for me?

Right, when you first visit the page it's showing the current season 2011 rates, and there's only standard and preferred for this year. You can use the blue drop-down button on the upper right to switch to all the other 2011 and 2012 season rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter