• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pop Century Room Renovations

I'm going to buy the table (the red one, thanks!! I didn't catch the price difference) and bring it, at least for the kids.
Oh, yeah. Anything on Amazon that comes in multiple colors under one listing, I always look at all of them. I'm cheap :D. Chair seat heights should be 18".

Off topic, but isn't your office chair adjustable? I had a note on the back of mine asking people not to take (not uncommon) or adjust it because I had it almost perfect for short me.

It isn't only the new rooms that will increase the price, it is the proposed gondola system that will as well.

I don't believe for a second that Disney will build any gondola system.

Going back to the price, I would think that Pop Century will at most raise itself to be the same as the little Mermaid rooms in Art of Animation. Right now Pop standard room rack rate is $129, Mermaid is $160. Caribbean Beach is $199. Pop is 260 square feet, Mermaid 277 square feet. No matter how Pop refurbishes, it is still a tiny room, and it can't raise too much or people will prefer the bigger rooms elsewhere, even if it does have 2 queen beds. Coronado Springs and Port Orleans also have queen beds. Caribbean Beach still has full beds, which is really weird. But maybe they are changing that now during their current refurbishment.

Odd question but can someone who is there or has been there confirm or deny that there is extra blankets in the room? My son likes the room below freezing at night and I'm more of a 80 degrees is cold type person so I always have to pull the extra blanket out.
Doesn't matter; you can just ask for it. Extra blankets, pillows, towels, coat hangers.

I don't believe for a second that Disney will build any gondola system.

I felt the same way until they filed the permits for it.

Caribbean Beach still has full beds, which is really weird. But maybe they are changing that now during their current refurbishment.

Caribbean Beach got Queen beds about 18 months ago. Well except for the Pirate Themed Rooms but that's a separate booking category.

I agree with you, but maybe housekeeping can provide the stool? it won't hurt to ask :wave2:
Great suggestion! Thanks! Still be harder than sitting along the tub edge, but better than kneeling on the floor which is what I will be doing without a stool.

I felt the same way until they filed the permits for it.

Yeah, well, I know there is that mention of permits but I still don't believe it. The last news about the Gondola was dated April and it's been 2 months and no mentioning of the gondola since then. And Disney never did officially announce the gondolas. Unless there is a huge advancement in gondola technology that I don't know about, it will be the stupidest thing Disney has ever done.

Caribbean Beach got Queen beds about 18 months ago. Well except for the Pirate Themed Rooms but that's a separate booking category.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the info, good to know. We were there last fall in the Pirate rooms and the beds were still full size. My kids are getting too big to share a tiny bed. Actually I don't think they will upgrade those even during this refurbishment because it's not about the rooms. I guess I will just skip the pirate rooms next time we stay there. Thanks again.

Has anyone been able to see any photos of a room with a roll-in shower? Pop used to have a room with a King & a full that was an Accessible room for 3 or 4 people (not just a king for 2). Any information on these room would be greatly Appreciated!

I was told last year that they were "doing away" with those rooms. Not sure how, as it's obvious that if they put a roll in shower in a 2 queen room, there is still not enough space for a wheelchair! We use that room type, as we need the roll in shower. But we need two real beds as well. I don't know how this will be addressed in the future.

I was told last year that they were "doing away" with those rooms. Not sure how, as it's obvious that if they put a roll in shower in a 2 queen room, there is still not enough space for a wheelchair! We use that room type, as we need the roll in shower. But we need two real beds as well. I don't know how this will be addressed in the future.
It is still a bookable category. I'm staying in a HA roll in shower room in a few weeks and requested a refurbished room. I'll let you know then.

Regarding the Bathtub and Shower door. We were at WDW 4 weeks ago and had the same bathdub with glass doors and lower metal track on our room at the Beach Club Villas and Coronado Springs (new room) and I thought the same thing about cleaning. One of them was not balanced properly and kept creeping open and the other one had an issued rolling back and forth. I think it looks nice but they are making lots more work for their staff. There were other things in both rooms that looked like dirt collecting spots as well.

Everyone talks about extra work for mousekeeping but its their job to clean the rooms!... lets just think how dirty the shower curtains were without anyone cleaning them! I really doubt those curtains and liners are changed! I get the thought that the room as a whole may be less kept with more to clean but in my opinion swiffering and mopping a floor is easier than lugging a heavy vacuum that doesn't properly clean anyway. Maybe its the germaphobe in me but I am thrilled :)

Yeah, well, I know there is that mention of permits but I still don't believe it. The last news about the Gondola was dated April and it's been 2 months and no mentioning of the gondola since then. And Disney never did officially announce the gondolas. Unless there is a huge advancement in gondola technology that I don't know about, it will be the stupidest thing Disney has ever done.

There are several very reliable sources/insiders on another message board who have said the gondola is happening - they said it even before permits were filed. I'll be shocked if it doesn't happen. I'm guessing you haven't seen the high tech gondolas used as mass transit in European and Asian countries. That is the style of gondola Disney will be getting. It's not like the old Sky Ride at MK. Also, it's not unusual for Disney to actually begin the early stages of a project before officially announcing it. I wouldn't assume something's not happening just because Disney hasn't made an official announcement. They like to wait for special events like the D23 Expo coming up in July where they'll make several announcements.

Personally, I have no desire to ride a gondola but I also have no desire to drive our car from our resort to DHS & EP so I'm not sure what we're going to do when this system is in place. I may just need to take a lot of my anti-anxiety meds on our DHS & EP days. :D Or we wont be staying at AoA anymore.

There are several very reliable sources/insiders on another message board who have said the gondola is happening - they said it even before permits were filed. I'll be shocked if it doesn't happen. I'm guessing you haven't seen the high tech gondolas used as mass transit in European and Asian countries. That is the style of gondola Disney will be getting. It's not like the old Sky Ride at MK. Also, it's not unusual for Disney to actually begin the early stages of a project before officially announcing it. I wouldn't assume something's not happening just because Disney hasn't made an official announcement. They like to wait for special events like the D23 Expo coming up in July where they'll make several announcements.

Personally, I have no desire to ride a gondola but I also have no desire to drive our car from our resort to DHS & EP so I'm not sure what we're going to do when this system is in place. I may just need to take a lot of my anti-anxiety meds on our DHS & EP days. :D Or we wont be staying at AoA anymore.
Gondola. That's crazy. What happens if it breaks down? I think it's going to be a gondola like we've never seen before, not just a standard gondola. I hope.

Gondola. That's crazy. What happens if it breaks down? I think it's going to be a gondola like we've never seen before, not just a standard gondola. I hope.

The type of system rumored to be used has redundant motors with redundant power supplies, and the cars are not connected directly to the cable. This means even a total power failure of the main motor would not stop the system, and even if a single car has an issue, it can be pulled from the line at a station.

This system is similar to what's being rumored:

Of course, it wouldn't have to be built as high as this one, because there's no ship traffic underneath it, so that would save costs, as well.

I have heard there will still be buses to EP and DHS after the gondola system is online. For The exact reason you stated, there are plenty of guests that are afraid of heights.

I have heard there will still be buses to EP and DHS after the gondola system is online. For The exact reason you stated, there are plenty of guests that are afraid of heights.
That is certainly reassuring as there is no way :scared1: my husband would ever ride one of the gondolas. We watched hallowishes one night from the contemporary public balcony, and we went up the outside stairwell a ways to get a better view. He would not step even remotely close to the edge of the balcony. I'm talking, he was back by the stairs haha!

And each gondola car only holds 20-30 people at a time. They NEED extra transportation.

I don't like heights. But I do go to the wild side on some things.

I won't get on them. I avoid the monorail at all costs.

Not just because they smell like a locker room.

I don't want to be on them due to ..... the extreme difficulty that Disney has with EVACUATION.

When these gondolas get stuck ........ :crazy2::crowded::crazy::crowded::eek::scared1::faint:

Construction projects for the gondola have already begun. It is happening.

Don't expect buses to continue running routes serviced by the gondola.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter