• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pop Century Room Renovations

Oh, I *used* to do laundry mid-way through our stay but I didn't enjoy it. With 5 kids, we didn't always have the space in the van to be able to pack enough clothes for 10 days for 7 people. I *hated* doing laundry during our stay. I did not enjoy lugging our laundry to a different building. I could sometimes fit everything in one washer but usually needed to use 2 or 3 dryers for each washer load. We don't spend a lot of time in the pool, so if there were no washers immediately available I'd have to wait for the washer to finish up while DH & the kids would go off and do something else...and then I'd wait for dryers...it usually ended up being a 2-3+ hour project for me. Now that the kids are older (teens and adults) and we don't all travel in one car, we have space to pack more clothes. If the washer and dryer were in our room (or even possibly in our building), I'd probably do a few loads of laundry during the week. But it doesn't really feel like vacation to me if I'm still doing laundry or cooking. And my husband is pretty adamant that he wants me to feel like I'm on vacation and not just "working" in a different location. So I don't do laundry while we're at Disney (or anywhere else we go on vacation). :)

Agree, I don't want to do laundry either and I'm the 5th wheel of our group so, I've only got my cloths to deal with. Like you stated in an earlier post I also wear 2 shirts, socks, undies (I'm a guy) every day. We always return for an afternoon break and it's amazing how much better I feel changing to a new outfit and shoes for the evening.

For this vacation, I plan on only wearing quick dry shirts and have 2 or 3 QD shorts. I purchased a few sink laundry detergent packs and plan on washing those shirts/shorts in the sink before bed once or twice. Themshirts should be dry in the morning and wrinkle free.

They didn't have 6 dresser drawers in there before, they were only three. I'm sure they found guests wanted more storage options than drawer options. I think all the cubbies are great, even the little shelves by the beverage center are great. We normal bring food stuffs and I pile them on top of the dresser, so the shelves are a plus. That closet is plenty big for the few things we hang. We bring mostly shorts and tshirts, those can be folded and piled in a cubby.

I have stayed at a few brand new hotels lately and they all had the safes inside just like this. I imagine it's the way to go these days, you rarely see a safe in the wall anymore unless it's old. Way easier on maintenance if it needs replacing.

Actually, the dressers used to have 6 drawers until they took away 3 of them to be able to put the refrigerator in the dresser a few years ago. And the new dressers look to be shorter/shallower than the old ones (drawers look like they're a few inches shorter height wise) so there is even less drawer space for those who prefer to put their clothing in drawers.

As far as the safe -- I don't see why they couldn't have put it in one of the cubbies in the bathroom area. They could have put a door on that cubby just like they did for the cubby containing the iron and the hair dryer. That way there still would have been 6 drawers for clothing if people choose to use them and they would have only lost one small cubby for the safe leaving about 42 others for holding "stuff". Win-win in my book. :)

Hopefully the All Stars makeover won't be like Pop's. I'm finding myself disliking the refurbished rooms enough that I switched our reservation to ASMo for our Thanksgiving trip. I'm hopeful we'll like it there (we've never stayed there; it's always been Pop for us) and that it will stay similar to how it is now (carpet, a stand-alone table, and a tub/shower combined). The only thing I actually like about Pop now is the coffee maker in the room...which is not enough to keep me coming back, unfortunately.

I know All Stars is at a very slight disadvantage because it shares buses, but the Deluxe resorts share buses also so I don't see that as too much of an inconvenience. I'd much rather stay at a resort that works for my family than keep returning to Pop just for the buses.

I guess I'm just disappointed because I really wanted to like the remodeled rooms. I just don't see them working for my family. I still think we will stay at Pop in the spring, though, when we do a split stay. It will be fewer days there (because we combine our spring trip with three days at the Contemporary), but it should be just enough for us to decide if we're coming back or making a permanent switch to All Stars (assuming those rooms remain similar to how they are now...). I'm also guessing these "improved" rooms at Pop will come with a price increase, which could make them out of our price range for the times we need to stay at a more budget-conscious resort.

The All Stars don't always share buses. We stayed at Sports the last time we were there last month, and we NEVER shared a bus. I always saw separate Movies and Music buses as well. In December last year, we stayed at Pop and there were WAY more All Star buses going than Pop buses. I was extremely disappointed with the Pop buses in December last year. It actually made me not want to spend the extra money to stay at Pop - the rooms weren't that much nicer than Sports....and the bus situation was worse.

But I have Pop booked for Nov/Dec this year because of the renovated rooms...so we'll see how it is then! *Crossing my fingers* I will get one...

And the new dressers look to be shorter/shallower than the old ones (drawers look like they're a few inches shorter height wise) so there is even less drawer space for those who prefer to put their clothing in drawers.
I guess we need somebody soon with a split stay at Pop _- say, standard pool view and preferred pool view - and a tape measure! I mean, if the televisions are 60" , everybody's been underestimating them by five to ten inches. Without a tape measure to compare drawer sizes, I'm not trusting any estimates.
I know All Stars is at a very slight disadvantage because it shares buses
Generally no. Busy times of the day, each has its own bus. Only rarely do they share.[/QUOTE]

Actually, the dressers used to have 6 drawers until they took away 3 of them to be able to put the refrigerator in the dresser a few years ago. And the new dressers look to be shorter/shallower than the old ones (drawers look like they're a few inches shorter height wise) so there is even less drawer space for those who prefer to put their clothing in drawers.

As far as the safe -- I don't see why they couldn't have put it in one of the cubbies in the bathroom area. They could have put a door on that cubby just like they did for the cubby containing the iron and the hair dryer. That way there still would have been 6 drawers for clothing if people choose to use them and they would have only lost one small cubby for the safe leaving about 42 others for holding "stuff". Win-win in my book. :)

Well I was there staying the day they installed the fridge in the dresser in my room .................... it was a LONG time ago and don't think it's in anyone's head when they book. It's been 3 a long time. All kinds of hotels are reducing drawer space, some eliminating dressers, tv on wall and all must be stored in small wardrobe type cabinets. Honestly all the Disney hotels I've been in where drawers won't shut or are off balance due to guest treatment, not surprised to see them go the more sturdy, less mechanic type of storage. I think this will be more the norm going forward.

Hopefully the All Stars makeover won't be like Pop's. I'm finding myself disliking the refurbished rooms enough that I switched our reservation to ASMo for our Thanksgiving trip. I'm hopeful we'll like it there (we've never stayed there; it's always been Pop for us) and that it will stay similar to how it is now (carpet, a stand-alone table, and a tub/shower combined). The only thing I actually like about Pop now is the coffee maker in the room...which is not enough to keep me coming back, unfortunately.

I know All Stars is at a very slight disadvantage because it shares buses, but the Deluxe resorts share buses also so I don't see that as too much of an inconvenience. I'd much rather stay at a resort that works for my family than keep returning to Pop just for the buses.

I guess I'm just disappointed because I really wanted to like the remodeled rooms. I just don't see them working for my family. I still think we will stay at Pop in the spring, though, when we do a split stay. It will be fewer days there (because we combine our spring trip with three days at the Contemporary), but it should be just enough for us to decide if we're coming back or making a permanent switch to All Stars (assuming those rooms remain similar to how they are now...). I'm also guessing these "improved" rooms at Pop will come with a price increase, which could make them out of our price range for the times we need to stay at a more budget-conscious resort.

I am VERY curious to see what/if they make a change at AllStars.

Question. Would someone in the new rooms check the possibility of hanging an 'over the door' storage bag from the track of the sliding door, connecting room door, sliding shower door, and/or the curtain rod? I already own several different kinds and they'd be an easy pack.

Thanks!

Checking in August 26th. Do you think they will have some standard pool view rooms done by then? Any guesses?

Yes, some should be done now. I would guess all of them in 80's and 90's will be done by your trip.

PopCenturyMap2012RoomCategoriesFINAL.jpg

About to leave for the airport! Just got our room ready message....... we are in 90's :cool1::cool1::banana: grabbing the tape measure! Give me a list of what y'all want measuments of!!

I am wondering if/where a pack n play would fit in the room with the Murphy bed down. We are going end of august and our two year old still may be sleeping in one then...

SO we need measurement of open floor space with bed down for pack & play

- By beverage center
- By connecting door space
- And check the space where the chairs go if the pack n play is perpendicular to wall

OR even blow up mattress.

Question. Would someone in the new rooms check the possibility of hanging an 'over the door' storage bag from the track of the sliding door, connecting room door, sliding shower door, and/or the curtain rod? I already own several different kinds and they'd be an easy pack.

Thanks!
I'd like to know the same! And if someone could get a pic of the full bureau? Please?

To clarify my thoughts on the 3-drawer dresser, I realize it always had just three drawers, I was just hoping for storage improvement for clothing. I think if a resort room is made for up to 4 adults there should be at least 4 drawers. A six drawer dresser would have been perfect. Or 5 drawers and a safe. As for the breakage mentioned, I would think cabinet doors break easier than drawers. I've never had a broken drawer at Pop.

I think they greatly improved storage in the bathroom and coffee/fridge tower. Love it. I just don't want to store my clothes in the bathroom cubbies, because we need that for all our toiletries, etc.

The All Stars don't always share buses. We stayed at Sports the last time we were there last month, and we NEVER shared a bus. I always saw separate Movies and Music buses as well. In December last year, we stayed at Pop and there were WAY more All Star buses going than Pop buses. I was extremely disappointed with the Pop buses in December last year. It actually made me not want to spend the extra money to stay at Pop - the rooms weren't that much nicer than Sports....and the bus situation was worse.

This is encouraging! I have been consoling myself about the buses telling myself that the Deluxe resorts share, too, so I shouldn't be that upset about losing the dedicated buses at Pop when we try out AS at Thanksgiving. We just loved this resort and I'm sad that it seems it won't work for us any longer. I'll still be eager to try it out for a shorter trip in the spring. Maybe (possibly) I will be pleasantly surprised with the new rooms.

About to leave for the airport! Just got our room ready message....... we are in 90's :cool1::cool1::banana: grabbing the tape measure! Give me a list of what y'all want measuments of!!
AWESOME. I think a few people requested inside measurements of the cubbies. I guess I would like to know the width and depth of the dresser. :thanks:

This is encouraging! I have been consoling myself about the buses telling myself that the Deluxe resorts share, too, so I shouldn't be that upset about losing the dedicated buses at Pop when we try out AS at Thanksgiving. We just loved this resort and I'm sad that it seems it won't work for us any longer. I'll still be eager to try it out for a shorter trip in the spring. Maybe (possibly) I will be pleasantly surprised with the new rooms.
I didn't realize the All Star Resorts don't share the same buses now. Thanks everyone!

To clarify my thoughts on the 3-drawer dresser, I realize it always had just three drawers, I was just hoping for storage improvement for clothing. I think if a resort room is made for up to 4 adults there should be at least 4 drawers. A six drawer dresser would have been perfect. Or 5 drawers and a safe. As for the breakage mentioned, I would think cabinet doors break easier than drawers. I've never had a broken drawer at Pop.

I think they greatly improved storage in the bathroom and coffee/fridge tower. Love it. I just don't want to store my clothes in the bathroom cubbies, because we need that for all our toiletries, etc.

The rooms can sleep 4 adults but I don't think Disney wants 4 "adults" in one room, they'd rather you book two rooms. I think it's listed that way to allow for the "Disney Adults" ... aka 10+ years old.

The dressers have the equivalent of 5 drawers, it's just two don't slide out. Doesn't make it any less storage than 5 drawers.

The dressers are going the route of many hotels, especially with modern or boutique theme, less dressers/drawers, more cubbies and locker style closets. Glad you never had a broken drawer. I have stayed a lot and have, as well as at moderates. Doors break too but at least there is no mechanics of the sliders that get bent and therefore not shutting. I think from Disney's perspective there is more than enough storage for a family of four for the average stay. Will it make everyone happy?, no, but they are going to design for the masses, for economics and space.

Most guests who find they need more space, storage and furniture than a value move to a bigger room resort or move offsite. Disney wants you to always be looking for a better option and hope that it is a more expensive room of theirs. If you move offsite ... they don't care, they will fill the room no matter.

I get the room doesn't make you happy. When I have had hotels I like change their options to my dismay ... I move on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter