Pop Century Room Renovations

I have really colourful luggage. I'll just display it prominently in my room. :rolleyes:

Don't know why your post made me remember this thing we have ............. well we have a few that do about the same thing. I could bring this and put color all over my room. So if you ever pass a room and see crazy lights through the window .... knock and say hello! and we can have a dance party!!

maxresdefault.jpg

Don't know why your post made me remember this thing we have ............. well we have a few that do about the same thing. I could bring this and put color all over my room. So if you ever pass a room and see crazy lights through the window .... knock and say hello! and we can have a dance party!!

maxresdefault.jpg
Did you say dance party??? I'm there!!! :woohoo:

I actually have something similar to that. I might just bring it, especially if we end up in the 60's section. It's a bit psychedelic. :hippie:

You could buy a lap desk and use that on the bed. I have one and my laptop is 17.3 inches, yet it still has room for a mouse pad on it.

I have previously used (and will continue to use) one of the cafeteria trays from the food court as a lap desk while sitting in the bed at Pop. I have done that on every trip we've taken recently, and liked using it as a lap desk so much that I ordered a dozen of those type trays from Amazon recently. Where there's a will there's a way if you are willing to be a tiny bit creative.

The refurbished room definitely has a clean modern look to it. Maybe when it's completed they will add colorful bedding or artwork, or perhaps an accent wall. If anything, I do like the layout though. Connecting rooms with this layout would work for my family. Hopefully they won't go *too*crazy with the rate increase cause I know it's coming :laughing:

Just catching up on this thread... thanks for the refurb pics! However, the new look has zero appeal to me and my family. We always enjoyed the vibrant look that each room offered, with the decade posters and color everywhere. Now, the rooms appear so ho-hum boring. It's like they are changing the resort from Pop Century to Blah Century. :sad2:

I wonder if this new design is meant to drive some of us away... on to the moderates, or, as the Disney accountants might be hoping, up to the Deluxe resorts.

Sadly, if this new look applies to the whole resort, our Pop days will be over.:sad1:

I sure wish the Disney room designers could see all the comments on this thread. We love Pop and most of us like the new room layout but the overall consensus is more color please. It is Pop afterall.

Just catching up on this thread... thanks for the refurb pics! However, the new look has zero appeal to me and my family. We always enjoyed the vibrant look that each room offered, with the decade posters and color everywhere. Now, the rooms appear so ho-hum boring. It's like they are changing the resort from Pop Century to Blah Century. :sad2:

I wonder if this new design is meant to drive some of us away... on to the moderates, or, as the Disney accountants might be hoping, up to the Deluxe resorts.

Sadly, if this new look applies to the whole resort, our Pop days will be over.:sad1:

It appears they are trying to get rid of the obvious resort category distinctions. They are adding amenities to the Values they've never had before and they are more closely aligning the decor across all resorts to be toned down with subtle Disney touches. This has happened across all the resorts that have had a room refurb within the past year or so. This appears to go along with the theory that WDW is going to be eliminating the resort "class" levels and move to a location based classification. Like MK area resorts, Epcot area resorts, etc.

These rooms need less wood and more color. And I want to know how the mattress is going to stay on that wooden platform. I could see my rowdy kids pushing it off accidentally. And I don't even want to think about the grossness lingering under the bed from previous guests.

These rooms need less wood and more color. And I want to know how the mattress is going to stay on that wooden platform. I could see my rowdy kids pushing it off accidentally.

The mattress pad has a non slip rubber bottom that will keep it from sliding off.

And I don't even want to think about the grossness lingering under the bed from previous guests.

That's the beauty of the non carpet flooring, housekeeping can get under the bed much easier. My aunt is a retired WDW housekeeper with quite a few friends still working. They all love that they've gotten rid of the carpeting as now when their rooms get spot checked by management it is much easier to get a perfect score because the floors are are easy to get white glove clean.

This is just my opinion, but I think this design is meant to attract some new "value resort" (for however long that category continues to exist) guests. For all the years I've been reading and posting on various Disney message boards, there have been a lot of people who stated they would never stay at a Value resort because the rooms were "over the top," "garish," "too kid like," etc. Now there will be a value resort that has a more "sophisticated" look in the rooms while there are still 4 value resorts with a more over-the-top decor in the rooms. (As I type this, I'm starting to wonder if there will be exterior changes to this resort over the next few years to "tone down" the outside areas as well).

That being said, I really like Pop Century the way it is/has been, but I'm not upset about the changes with the new design. In fact, if we decide to leave our current "home" resort of AoA and go back to getting connecting rooms at a value resort, Pop Century will be my #1 choice by far. In fact, there's a part of me that's contemplating not even considering AoA for our next stay and just going to Pop.

If you Google "refurbished rooms at Pop Century" there are some pictures that come up in Google images. It looks like the new room does come with a coffee maker. Yay! There is also a picture that shows the bedding.

If you Google "refurbished rooms at Pop Century" there are some pictures that come up in Google images. It looks like the new room does come with a coffee maker. Yay! There is also a picture that shows the bedding.

I did. The only pics I see are the test rooms that we all saw last year. It sounds like the furniture folks have seen matches these pictures but until someone gets in a room to stay ... we all wait for the final word on details.

I wonder if there will be another nightstand on the wall side next to the Murphy bed? It looks like there's one on the far side and one in the middle. A third one would be awesome!

I love the look of these rooms. Our kids are older (between 9 and 17), and I think this style will appeal to them more than the cartoony look of the older rooms. Hopefully enough will be done in September that we have a chance at the new rooms!

The test room showed 3 nightstands -

13614933_10101104544581059_1585888267354412782_n_zpsumznw4mw.jpg

Last edited:
I sure wish the Disney room designers could see all the comments on this thread. We love
Pop and most of us like the new room layout but the overall consensus is more color please. It is Pop afterall.

I actually like the fact that the rooms are less vibrant, it makes it more relaxing after a day of visual overload.

As to artwork, I really like this new art and the bed runner from the test rooms. I kind of hope they plan to sell those. The current room only has the one piece of artwork on the back wall, but the bed wall is color and it makes all the difference.

Well, the good thing is it would be easy for them to add an accent wall color on the back wall. Maybe they will get enough feedback that they will add it. It would be cool if they used blue in some rooms, green in others and orange in others.

I have previously used (and will continue to use) one of the cafeteria trays from the food court as a lap desk while sitting in the bed at Pop. I have done that on every trip we've taken recently, and liked using it as a lap desk so much that I ordered a dozen of those type trays from Amazon recently. Where there's a will there's a way if you are willing to be a tiny bit creative.
Great idea! I was thinking they should add a server tray for the table to quickly clear it off when in sleep mode. We habe so much stuff on our table. We,ll just grab a tray to put stuff on. And simply move tray to clear off

Great idea! I was thinking they should add a server tray for the table to quickly clear it off when in sleep mode. We habe so much stuff on our table. We,ll just grab a tray to put stuff on. And simply move tray to clear off

You might find that you won't put stuff on the table as there will be other flat surfaces to use (the beverage center and the dresser -- the TV is mounted on the wall so that provides a large empty flat surface). We used to use the table as a catchall as well. Then we started staying at AoA and for whatever reason, we don't throw stuff on the table there. Probably because there are so many other places to throw our stuff. :)

When we stayed at Pop Century, I would always (and still do, actually) take some small collapsible bins (fabric ones that fold flat) to use for all of our "stuff" on the table. I'd have one for card keys/sunglasses (now Magic Bands), one for receipts, and one for misc. stuff. It helps keep things in one spot and they're easy to move. I bought them at the Dollar Store but I've also seen them at Walmart.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter