Pop Century Review

Amy&Dan

DIS Veteran
We just returned Monday from 11 nights at Pop Century. First let me say, my family typically stays moderate. But our "kids" are now 18 and 20 and we just cannot all occupy one room anymore and call that a fun vacation! Two rooms at a moderate was just not possible for the pocketbook, a suite at AoA was quite a bit more expensive and two rooms at Pop really seemed like the best choice. This would be our fourth stay at Pop, but we hadn't stayed there since 2008 so it had been awhile.

We arrived late on Thursday, October 23rd. I had requested two lake facing rooms, as close together as possible, in the 50's and our request was met. We had two connecting rooms in Building 2, fourth floor facing the lake (rooms 2454 and 2455). The walk was not bad from the main building.

The rooms had been nicely redone since our last stay. I had thought about requesting a King bed for dh and I but decided against that, since I really wanted adjoining rooms, in the 50's facing the lake way more. I like the triple sheeted beds, having a frig standard and the flat screen tv, all of which were nice new additions since our last stay. I have to say the double bed wasn't bad, but there were a couple of nights I was missing my queen bed.

We LOVED being on the lake. I walked out our room that first morning and saw this:

Loved seeing this every day, and we could even see the tops of the Swan Dolphin, Tower of Terror and our last night discovered that we had a nice little break in the trees that allowed us to see Wishes and Illuminations. Okay, not like a view from the Poly or Beach Club but a view nonetheless!

We loved the lake path, and walked it often. Seeing AoA was very nice. Since our last stay still had these rooms looking over at the abandoned Legendary Years, this is a big improvement.

We had very good housekeeping service the entire stay. We got some really cute towel animals, I wish I had taken some pictures of one of them, it was an elephant watching television. These aren't a big deal to me normally but it was a nice touch.

The food court was fine. At breakfast, omg forget it lol. I twas insane. We tried to eat there once and just walked out. Dd ate there one morning and said she just got a Danish because it was so insane she knew she'd never make meeting up with the rest of us for a fastpasss. Now for lunch and early dinners it was good. We ate lunch there probably four times and it was awesome. Not crowded at all. And dinner if you ate early was also good. Our favorites were the nachos (at lunch only), sloppy Joe's, tuna salad sandwich, build your own chicken sandwich and of course the tye dyed cheesecake.

The pool was nice. We spent several afternoons at the main pool and the 50's pool. I love palm trees so the main pool is my preference but the loud pool games start too early and go too long so it was nice to escape over to the 50's pool which was right outside our building.

We really were surprised at how much we enjoyed Pop. Why I don't know because we have always enjoyed our value stays. For sure having two rooms was a huge plus. I don't see us every going back to one room if we travel with both kids. And to give you an idea of what makes this even better, had we stayed in one room at a moderate for our eleven nights, we would have saved a total of $78. The higher per night rate, plus the fact we'd be paying an additional $30 per night for both adult aged kids made this a no brainer.

Busses were very good. I will say that probably four times we used the AoA bus to get back to our resort. Pop busses are good and they come often but its a huge resort and the ques at Magic Kingdom in particular at closing were just insane. For some reason the AoA busses at closing were never crowded. It took us maybe five minutes longer to walk from the bus stop at AoA to our room vs. the Pop bus stop.

Here are some more photos I took around the resort.

Thank you for reading!

Thanks for sharing! We're staying at POP in January, so it's great to hear about recent experiences!

Thanks for posting! We'll be at Pop from 12/27-1/3, so it's nice to read a recent review. Good tip about the AoA buses as well. We've requested a lake view room in the 60s, so that would be a nice option for us (assuming we get our request.). :cool1:

Thanks for the review. We love POP. I know now where I will be requesting a room now! We have been put back in the 80's the past two times so I am ready to try the other side out again.

Love, love, love Pop! Backside of 50's toward the lake is awesome - definitely a great view! Only a little over 4 months until I am back!

Thank you everyone! I wish I was at Pop right now since its a chilly fifteen degrees here at home!

Was staying there the same time as you (Aug. 28 - Nov. 5). The only problem we had was that they put us lakeside 70's building and we had an issue with insects. They were swarming on all the doors in the same area of the building. If you opened the doors, several flew in. It happened both during the night and during the day. By the 2nd day of the trip we requested at least a spraying. The person that did the spraying basically said that the bugs were the equivalent to blind mosquitos, except they don't sting. He said many of the lakeside rooms were having the same problem. He said they would disappear after a pretty long cold snap. The spraying didn't help. That night they switched us to a room in the 60's building. It was technically an upgrade from standard room to preferred room. No problems there.

We are trying to stay at the POP, and I have a question. There are four in my family, two parents and two children, 18 and 13. Disney wants to split this into two reservations because there are 3 adults, and will not guarantee us being near each other. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I'm not worried about safety, I just want to be near each other. Any comments?

Two reservations would mean two rooms. If your plan was to get two rooms in the first place there is no problem splitting it into two reservations. If you weren't planning on having two separate rooms, the beds are full size beds, I can't imagine a 13 yo and an 18 yo being comfortable together in the same bed, unless they are real close siblings. If you weren't planning on having two rooms then they should just be charging you a little extra for having 3 adults in the room instead of just 2.

If you don't feel comfortable with the 18 year old having a credit card and using yours for the second room then you can charge just the room to the other room and disable room charges on the second room. Make sure you specify that it HAS to be connecting rooms in the initial reservation on both rooms. They are usually very good at accommodating requests but they will never guarantee it. Worse case they may put you real close to each other just not joining.

Loved reading your review! We just came back from a full week stay at the Pop, and we loved it. We had to change rooms on our first night there, and the staff was very understanding about it (we had an orthopedic shower in our room, so no bathtub... a definite no for me). We ended up getting a room in the 50s building with a pool view on the 4th floor. It had a king bed that was very comfy. Loved the atmosphere of the resort, the food court was great, and the gift shop as well!

We are trying to stay at the POP, and I have a question. There are four in my family, two parents and two children, 18 and 13. Disney wants to split this into two reservations because there are 3 adults, and will not guarantee us being near each other. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I'm not worried about safety, I just want to be near each other. Any comments?

They don't have to do that. We have stayed at Pop with my two daughters and no CM has ever tried to convince me we needed two rooms. My oldest has been an adult every trip.

We are traveling with our almost 21 year old and our 13 year old and had no problem at all booking 1 room at Pop

avoiding work said:

I asked for rooms as near each other as possible. And luckily got connectingyo rooms. You do have to do two separate reservations with two rooms. One room was in my name, the other in my son's (he turned 20 the week before our trip). The reservations were linked on MDE and it was very easy to make all our fastpass and dining reservations. I did not put any type of credit card on my kids Magic Bands. Not that I don't trust them but I had lots of giftcards so there was no need.

I think you will be fine getting close together. But of course there's no guarantees. Putting connecting rooms as your only request will help.

We checked in after midnight and still got our connecting rooms.

I can't say enough how well it worked out with older kids to do it this way.

Good luck!

We haven't stayed at a value resort since 2006. Now that our kids are older, 15 & 17, it makes it impossible to share a standard size room comfortably. In order to stay on site and stay within our budget I am also considering getting 2 connecting rooms at POP. I am wondering about the lake facing rooms that you booked. Do you remember if they were standard or preferred rates rooms? Thank you

Great review! We also love Pop, and believe it or not, if we didn't own DVC that would be where we would stay every time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter