• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pop Century Review

Skwinkles

Mouseketeer
My DH and I decided to go down to Disney for a quick weekend trip. We wanted to stay at a value since it was a quick trip and we would rarely be in the room. Pop Century is where we picked because it looked like such a fun place. So we booked 2 nights in a standard room. We decided not to make a request for a particular location. We were guaranteed non-smoking due to DH’s allergies and asthma, and we requested a king bed since it was just the two of us, so the rest we left up to fortune. I had heard that no matter where you were, the walk to the buses and the main building was relatively short and we’re only 26 and in pretty good shape.

We didn’t arrive at Pop until a little past midnight, as our flight into Orlando didn’t get in until almost 11:30 pm. We headed over to the check-in desk, and there were actually about 4 people in front of us in line! But there were also about 4-5 CMs behind the desk, and in a matter of minutes we were at the desk. Our CM was “Earning her Ears” and wasn’t the most pleasant in the world, but she got the job done. Our request for a non-smoking king room had been fulfilled. We were in room 7122 in the 80’s section. (Read: Basically the furthest room away from everything in the joint) And that was just fine with us. See, we’re children of the 80s so we secretly were hoping for the 80s anyway and I had a pretty good feeling that’s where we’d be since we didn’t request to be close to Classic Hall. So, the CM drew the way on our map and we were off. It looked pretty far on the map, but in less than 5 minutes (My guess is 3) we were putting that key card in the door! It was also less than 5 minutes to walk to the bus stop from our room in the morning. And, we were actually quite close to the computer themed pool, so that would have been great if we made the time to go swimming, but we were at the parks from opening until closing.

The room was great – super clean and a nice temperature. The bed was huge and very comfortable…although we were so tired since it was 1 am I think a concrete slab would have been. There was a table and 2 chairs and a TV/Dresser combo that also had a mini fridge in it (I believe that it was there because they are now standard in handicap rooms only). There was one sink in the vanity with ample room to spread out all our toiletries. There was also a hair dryer and an iron and full size ironing board and a safe. The room was handicap accessible, so the bathroom had a sliding door and a shower but no tub. There was also a fold down chair in the shower to sit on if you so choose. The bathroom was nice and big – the only bad part was that without a lip to the shower floor, the water did seem to spread out on the floor past where the curtain was.

The next day we checked out the grounds and facilities and were quite impressed. Everything is done up so well. The icons are so cute and the pools are nice and big. Having never stayed in a value before, I was a bit skeptical to take the step down from the moderates we are so used to, and especially since our last trip was to Old Key West in a huge studio. I have to say that I wouldn’t hesitate to stay here again. Pop was a great value. :thumbsup2

I’d be happy to answer any questions if I can.

Thanks for the review. I've been thinking that our next trip to Disney will probably be spend at Pop so I like to read positive reviews.

Thank you SO much for posting this. My DH, DD & DS are going in just a few days & will be staying at the Pop Century. This will be our first time there, so we weren't sure what to choose.

Thanks again!!!

I was in the 80's also last week....7115!!! How funny is that! Our room was nice and quiet also. My dd, 12, was upset at first about not getting put in the 50's section, but she ended up liking our room a lot.
I wonder if we had the same CM upon check-in. Ours was 'earning her ears' also, and just kept talking about her life experiences and when I asked if there were any rooms available on a higher floor...her response was.."Do you realize how many people would kill to get the room you have?" Yikes!!! So far, she has been pretty much the only CM I've not really cared for that was working a front desk. And she just gave me a map and a parking pass...no info on the resort itself, no park info...nothing.
But, it was a good visit anyway!!

POP is in my opinion the best of the value resorts! As you can see from my signature, we are DVC members, but I love to fill in the weekends (Fri and Sat nights at the DVC resorts are almost double the points in comparison to the rest of the days) at POP!!!!! So far I've been in the 60's, 70's, and 80's and have not had a problem (except the last visit to POP when I got into the room...there was a water dripping sound..couldn't find it, called Mousekeeping and in minutes they were at the room...moved me to a different room, when I mentioned to the Mousekeeper that I needed the thermostat turned down, coming from NY can't sleep in anything above 55 degrees....he immediately came my new assigned room and adjusted the temp!)

Thanks for the positive review of Pop. After staying there last year, I definitely wouldnt hesitate to go back. I loved it! Never had a problem with the buses, food court, or room. Glad you had a great stay! :)

Pop is my favorite of the value resorts. Glad you enjoyed your stay

I LOVED my trip to POP two years ago. I also stayed in the 80s building literally the farthest room from the main check in, but the view of the lake in the morning was unbelievable! Thanks for your great review! :)

I am very excited, we are going to stay at POP for a few days before the BC. I am really hpoing we will like it. Sounds like a really fun place to stay. Doubting our stay at the BC...maybe we'll just stay at POP the entire time. I think we'd have a better time.

I love POP so I am always glad to here when someone else enjoyed it as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter