• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pop Century really better than All Stars?

CastawayJP

DIS Veteran
We recently stayed at All Star Movies and were not impressed at all. This could be because we had just returned from a Cat 9 on the Disney Wonder, but I don't think that is the only reason. Maybe we just aren't All Star people. We are planning on going moderate next time we stay on property (we will be at WDW in Oct but we will be staying at Regal Sun for a work related conference).

I have heard a lot of people say that Pop century is much nicer than the All Star resorts. I've even heard some people say that they prefer it to some of the moderates. I don't understand this...

My question... Is Pop Century really better than the All Stars? If so, what makes it better?

I have not yet stayed at the All-stars but just booked ASMu Family Suites (due to six of us).

Perhaps people like Pop better because it's newer, I've heard it's food court is larger (maybe a better selection?), and it has a dedicated bus. Now, the All stars sometimes have a dedicated bus, other times share.

Pop is larger and from the pics I've seen, I think even a little more over the top in the supersize theming. And because it's not just one theme (movies, music, sports) there's a bit of variety in it's icons. If you like that, then you'll love Pop. If you don't care for the supersize theming, then you're not going to care for Pop any more than the All-Stars. I thought the bus ride from Pop to MK was long (20 plus minutes) last time we stayed there in 2005.

But our kids are young and like the theming. They wanted to do Pop again but I wanted to try the suites because of the layout - it seems there's just a bit more room than two connecting rooms at Pop.

i personally like POP better than the all-star resorts. POP is newer and i think even more innovative. POP has a very fun, exciting, colorful atmosphere. it's very family oriented. there's never a dull moment there.
as for the individual rooms, they are essentially layed out the same. two beds, TV, small table, dresser, sink, bathroom. but, i would take POP over the all-stars any day. i just love the fun surroundings at the POP. it really makes me feel like i am truly in disney. :banana:

The values are cookie cutters of each other. You need to ask yourself what you didn't like about the resort first...

Did you like the overall concept of the resort but just didn't care for the "movie" theme? Did you like the food court aspect of the resort but not the set up, layout, or offerings? Did you like the room itself but just considered it to be too outdated and worn?

If you answered most to these questions than it wouldn't be a bad idea to give another value (Like Pop) a try. In a way Pop was constructed to "fix" some of the All Star flaws but your not going to notice that much of a difference between the two.

Rooms are identical in size but with Pop being more recently constructed, the rooms/decor are "newer" but by no means "better"; similar concept idea, different furniture. Pop is larger than ASmo but boosts 3 pools, a nice kiddie pool, an outdoor twister mat, and pop jet fountains. Due to the size of the resort, you'll notice Pop's food court is definately an "upgrade" over ASmo but offerings and set up are similar. Bus queues are identical but Pop doesn't share with another resort while ASmo mainly shares with ASpo and on ocassion ASmu.

If you really just didn't like anything ASmo had to offer, you may have similar feelings about Pop. We do feel that the values are missing a certain "resort" aspect that the moderates and deluxes carry. If money wasn't a factor, we'd gladly upgrade to a moderate and enjoy the main pool area with slide, quiet pools, hot tubs, eateries, grounds, etc. that a Value resort lacks.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to give Pop a try though, we're glad we did. The values are alot more affordable for us and allow us to visit more often. Even though Pop wasn't as appealing to us we enjoyed our ASmu stay and would not hesitate to return. Every flaw that we found at Pop we didn't seem to experience at ASmu, and maybe the same can be said for your stay at ASmo and Pop!

Yeah I'm not crazy about the oversize themes (except for Center Court at ASsp), so if the rooms aren't larger, it probably isn't worth the effort. To make matters easier I think we'll just join DVC!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter