• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

pop century questions

kimis

DIS Veteran
My dh and I usually stay POR but because of the budget we will be staying at Pop Century. I am reading mixed reviews so I am wondering how it is? Also I can't find if it has a blow dryer in the room. The site said as requested. Also we did ask for a preferred room. Any thoughts on Pop Century?

Thanks for asking this. We usually stay at POR but with the Cdn exchange being so bad, we are going to POP this year. I am reading all I can about it too. No matter - it's still Disney :)

I just read that there is no bell service so what do you do if you are using Magical Express? Also the same site said there aren't coffee pots in the rooms. Please tell me these two things aren't accurate?

Our first Pop stay is in 60 days, so I don't know about bell services, but I do know that there are no coffee pots. Luckily we drive so I can bring my own.

POP's "version" of Bell Services is called "Luggage Assistance".

"Most" rooms in POP have the new Hair Dryers,but some still have the small wall-mounted units.:)

23411812839_3cfaac10ba_b.jpg

There is Bell Services at POP (they helped me get my luggage to my room when I drove) but no coffee pots in the room. The rooms have double beds and are smaller. The towels are also smaller and less fluffy. The food court is very busy but it did have yummy food.

The pool doesn't have a pool slide. I've stayed a couple of times. The blow dryer in the room was wall mounted when I stayed there last and didn't work. I called housekeeping 3 times before I got a working one - from now on I'm bringing my own travel blow dryer where ever I go since I don't like hair drying my hair.

I know alot of people like this resort but I'm not a big fan of it.

OK..here goes..its a value resort...
None of them have bell service...
You have to schlep your own bags. If you use ME your tagged bags do get delivered directly to your room from the airport. There are karts you can use /borrow but other than that it is up to you.
No coffee makers in any value rooms.
Coffee is at the food courts only.
There are hair dryers and fridges in all rooms.

My dh and I usually stay POR but because of the budget we will be staying at Pop Century. I am reading mixed reviews so I am wondering how it is? Also I can't find if it has a blow dryer in the room. The site said as requested. Also we did ask for a preferred room. Any thoughts on Pop Century?

A preferred room location has to be paid for, it can't be requested. Did you pay for the upgrade from a standard room to preferred?

I just stayed at the Pop for the first time in October, and it was a great stay. The Cast Members were to a person nice and helpful. We arrived early and dropped our carry on bags will luggage assistance. Not only were the bags waiting for us in our room, but our Garden Grocer order had been brought up too. I wouldn't hesitate to return to the Pop!

We drive and bring our own coffee maker even if we are staying at moderates. I do not like those little coffee makers or powdered creamer! I bring along the coffee maker, two mugs and those little plastic containers with creamer, French Vanilla for hubby and plain for me. I have to start off our day while I am getting ready for the day with two good cups of coffee!

You don't have to "schelp" your own bags. They have luggage delivery like every Disney hotel. I was there this past October and both the bags that came through Magical Express and our carry-ons that we left with luggage assist were in our room when we came back from Studios the day we arrived.

Pop is nice, but like with everything, you get what you pay for. That said, its not like you're staying at a Motel 6. It is still a Disney hotel. The pool and other amenities are very basic, but there are some amenities available.

As far as coffee, well...Disney coffee sucks hahahah But, its really easy to bring a cheap-o coffee maker and there is a fridge available to put creamer in!

I stayed at POP in 2014 during the Christmas holiday.

I had stayed there before, but it had been quite a few a years.

I really like POP.

It's large, but compact. I was in the 80s section and it was only a 5 minute or so, walk to the main building.

I found it to be very clean and well taken care of. Housekeeping was great too.

I enjoyed the bus service. POP's busses don't go to any other resorts. They service POP only.

Food court was decent.

Also liked being able to walk to AoA and check it out.

I really have nothing negative to say about POP.

POP is a value like others have said. So you get the basics, but with the same perks of Disney transportation to and from parks and like the PP said, the buses at POP are dedicated to that hotel so you don't make other stops at the other hotels which is nice especially when coming home after a long day at the park, or if you are trying to get to one of the parks quickly.

The food court, while can be busy does have good food, even with it being all quick service. The Southwestern burger that I had on our last trip was really good. Surprised the heck out of me actually.

We stayed there for a night in August and enjoyed it - we had only ever stayed at POR and POFQ before that. We had great service, the food court was good, and I really liked the pool (I think I actually enjoyed swimming there more than the pool at the Poly)...We would stay at POP again for sure :)

OK..here goes..its a value resort...
None of them have bell service...
You have to schlep your own bags.
Right. As stated above, Value Resorts instead have Luggage Assistance. If you want your bags immediately, yes, you need to transport them yourself. If you can wait, Luggage Assistance does deliver and will pick up in mass runs.

If you're comparing Pop to POR, then Pop is much more compact. You won't have the winding paths and extensive vegetation you have at POR. There is only one centrally located bus stop, which isn't an issue since the resort isn't as large. The rooms are basic, but always clean and comfortable. You will have a hair dryer, but no coffee pot. The beds are pretty decent. My only complaints: It can be a little loud in the mornings if you're near a main walkway or on the first floor. And there are always CM's running leaf blowers in the mornings if you're trying to sleep!

The theming is fantastic and a lot of fun. You can stroll around the exterior of the property along Memory Lane with it's signs about things that happened during certain years. You can wander across the bridge over Hourglass Lake to Art of Animation and explore that resort and visit that food court and gift shop.

As someone mentioned, there are different categories of rooms, so if you did not pay for a preferred room, you will most likely not be given a room in those areas. You can google to find maps that show you the preferred areas. I usually pay the bit extra for a preferred room because I like the 60's buildings and being near the pool, the lake/bridge and Classic Hall (front desk, food court, gift shop, bus stop).

It's honestly one of my favorite resorts. It's simple, but it's pure Disney and I have many happy memories of Pop over the years. Going back in just a couple of weeks. :cloud9:

My friend used to manage hotels. She said housekeeping would use the same rag to clean the coffee pot that they used to clean the bathroom. No one should use the in room coffee pot. I won't even use them at the GF or Four Seasons.

Thank you all! I am feeling better! Glad to hear about luggage assistance! We are using ME so they bring the suitcases but will they also pick up on day of departure?
Yes we did pay for a preferred room. Are they better or just closer to bus stop and dining?
Thanks again! I love being able to ask my questions and get so many nice answers!

Thank you all! I am feeling better! Glad to hear about luggage assistance! We are using ME so they bring the suitcases but will they also pick up on day of departure?
Yes we did pay for a preferred room. Are they better or just closer to bus stop and dining?
Thanks again! I love being able to ask my questions and get so many nice answers!

Can't answer the luggage question as I never use it - too many trips growing up where the rule was "you bring it, you carry it". :)
Preferred merely = closer to main building.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter