Pop/AllStar convince me

Morgstar

I only go to orlando coz my missis says I have to.
My girlfriend is trying to convince that pop/allstar is a good option for 2nd two weeks in jan.

She wants to book now (we've already paid for flightswith VA) but i just cant help thinking of them as Butlins type residence's. I dont have anyting against Butlins but as a young couple i am not sure we want to spend 2 and 1/2 weeks there.

We will AP's so im hoping we will get a rate for POFQ but if not i think i'd rather stay a Royal Plaza or another hotel near DTD for the same price, if not cheaper or even the marriot offerings which i hear are excellent value.

Would anyone out there like to convince me that the value resorts are worth it. Please bare in mind that at this time of year we shouldnt really need EMH beacuse it will be really quiet and no concern over nice pools as the weather will probably be indifferent.

If at all possible I would stay in modearate rather than Value, Value did not appeal to us at all. We stay at Courtyard by Marriott for a third of the price of what we paid at ASM and enjoy it a lot more.
If you have stayed in good hotels before I think its hard staying in a value but many people like them.
I wouldn't class them like Butlins but it was a bit too basic for us.

Hmm, me and DBF are planning on staying at ASMu. He wants to stay in the rock building because he likes the theming (he plays guitar, bass and drums), but I too was thinking, as a young couple, is this really the place for us to stay? I wanted to stay at a moderate really....

But then I just thought about the money, and how I could use the saved money to buy myself lots of pretty things. I can't say we will only use the hotel as somewhere to sleep because I know we won't, swimming and somewhere to chill for a couple of hours is also needed.....

But anywhooo, back to what made me stop pushing for the moderate.

1. Money
2. Onsite (a must for me)
3. I realised I would probably like the disney themeing

and the next one that was the biggy.

4. My BF really wanted to stay there, and I couldn't take that away from him, and it's not like I was going to hate, just wanted somewhere a bit more comfortable.

So if your girlfriend is reeeally wanting to stay there, then is it worth staying somewhere else?

For a Family the all stars movies was just exellent for us and we are going back in November to the same hotel. Its nothing like Butlins to me, been to Butlins loads of times but it not really like a hotel as such. But if it was just me and hubby who went i would pay little extra to stay at a moderate resort but if money was tight i would stay at Pop. For us its just a place to crash as we are out all day most days.

But if you girlfriend really wants to stay there then i think you should, make her happy.

Donna

We have stayed in both the AS Movies and POFR. The main differences for us were:

1) Cost - ASmovies a lot less expensive
2) Theming - ASM all Disney; POFR very laid back and relaxing.
3) Rooms - POFR marginally larger with two washbasins.
4) Food Court - less of a bunfight at POFR
5) Guests - loads of kids at ASM, very few at POFQ
6) Facilities - great pool at POFQ and far less crowded; nice pool at ASM with "Mickey".
7) Surroundings - ASM lots of concrete. POFQ lots of gardens and quiet seating areas. Boat rides to DTD. Horse carriage rides.

We went to ASM when DD was 8. She loved it because of the theming, bigger than life characters. Last year when she was 13 we went to POFQ. She absolutely adored the place. Her one statement that sticks in my mind was "no screaming kids Dad".:lmao:

My preference would be towards a moderate hotel but it wouldn't stop me booking a value again. In fact, we had booked up Pop for our October holiday this year before buying into DVC and changing the booking. They are definately NOT Butlins (if you want Butlins/Blackpool stay on I-Drive :lmao: ) just Disney themed.

At the end of the day, if you want to stay on site and save a bit of money to spend on others things whilst you are there, then stay at the Value resort. If you want to have a place where it if far easier to relax after a hard day in the parks then I would recommend the POQR - laid back, small, everything within 4 minutes walking distance.

We have stayed at Wilderness Lodge and Carribean beach in the past.

I have to say, if you like staying in a hotel room, then there are better options outside the Disney hotels for less money.
Both of them have great land and public theaming, but you can visit these at any time you want.
the rooms, well, thats all they are, quite small, not even a proper bathroom, small TV and at wilderness, a balcony you could not see over if you were sitting down.

Better options around with larger rooms, or better choices in my opinion.

Well me and my then boyfriend were 21yrs old & 28yrs old when we went and stayed at All Star Movies and i thought it was just fabby =) i loved all the themed buildings evrything larger than life it was so cool even the boyfriend loved it,yea there were lots of children around havin fun not annoying anyone i recommend The value resorts they seem more laid back and fun then the others.

we stayed in the All Star Music for 2 weeks and enjoyed it very much...
we've pretty much enjoyed every disney resort we've stayed in, from the All Stars to the GF....
We only stay in the GF/WL now, mainly because i can spoil myself that way and enjoy it....but i would be perfectly happy if i 'had' to stay at the all stars again....even for an extended stay...

we found the service at the All Stars to be good - we were even there for a hurricane and the staff was outstanding...

but the moderates are also nice...they're all nice....sorry i can't be of more help...

We really really like the All Stars and I would not compare them to Butlins in any way.

Have stayed in All Stars 3 times.....not luxury, but we have it to take advantage of EMH (which can be useful in August !) We spend most of our time, in the parks, so all we want is somewhere to sleep.

Have never stayed in Butlins but that would be my idea of Hell!!!.
Staying onsite is nothing like the UK hotels, Ive stayed at the values,moderates .and deluxes, and wouldnt stay anywhere else. Personally Id hate to stay off site, it doesnt have the disney magic, and if im spending that amount of money to get to florida, whats a few extra pounds to stay onsite.
You have the Extra magic hour, package delivery, and being in the heart of disney, with quick access to the parks The rooms are abit smaller in the values, but Pop is an excellent hotel(staying there again for my 3rd time in just over a weeks time).
It depends on what you want really,Id rather pay extra and stay onsite anyday, but if youre on a budget and this isnt an option then im sure there are plenty of nice hotels out there.

Personally i wouldnt choose the all stars as the amount of children and families would be too much for me(i have a family and children LOL), I prefer Pop as a value over the all stars, purely for theming and its got a good food court(dont feel like its over busy, or youre jostling with others).

Im sure whatever you pick will be fine, youre in florida at the end of the day!!!

Jules

I wouldnt compare ASMO (movies) to butlins at all.

I think it just depends on the person(s) going.
We enjoyed ASMO we took our little girl who was 4 at the time,we liked the theming mainly as it was more for her than us.
We've booked ASMO and POP for next year....I prefer having a simple holiday with more spends (with disney theming the kiddies are happy).:goodvibes

I think it just depends on the person(s) going.

Spot on, everyone likes different things. Disney hotels are something you have to try to find which you like, what one person likes another doesn't.
We love the Disney parks and Disney cruising but when it comes to hotels and dining prefer to get away from Disney.
Onsite is OK if you only do Disney, not my kind of holiday, for us LBV area is perfect for easy access to All Disney, Universal, Seaworld and within seconds onto I4 to further afield.
We are trying a Condo next, don't think we will like it as much as a hotel but we thought onsite was better than offsite until we tried it.

Before I saw the Pop Century in person I must admit that looking at the brochure pics it reminded me of Butlins too (but sunnier ;) ). The pics in most brochures don't do the hotel justice and in 'real life' it is less gaudy than it appears. We really enjoyed staying there.

I'm sure wherever you choose you will enjoy yourself, and as long as your room is clean & tidy you'll be fine. After all who wants to spend time in their hotel room when you're on holiday?!! ;)

We are a young couple with no children going for the last week of jan first week of Feb, we love the All Stars resorts, only ever stayed at the sports as its my other half's fave... would definitly recomend unless money isnt an issue. As someone has said the extra money could go towards spending or buying yourselves something nice :thumbsup2 We are trainers and t-shirt kinda people on holiday so find it suits us down to the ground! :woohoo: Would def recomend. :thumbsup2

We are a young couple as well and stayed at ASMovies on our last visit. It is nothing like Butlins - to me they're not comparable on any level! They're a lot of fun and good value.

It also depends on what type of people you are. If you're looking for a very romantic holiday then they may not be as suitable as a Mod or Deluxe.

We're staying at CSR next year and I actually think we might miss ASMo a bit (it was our first trip together to WDW so it's a little special to us).

We are a young couple as well and stayed at ASMovies on our last visit. It is nothing like Butlins - to me they're not comparable on any level! They're a lot of fun and good value.

It also depends on what type of people you are. If you're looking for a very romantic holiday then they may not be as suitable as a Mod or Deluxe.

We're staying at CSR next year and I actually think we might miss ASMo a bit (it was our first trip together to WDW so it's a little special to us).

You are spot on there.
I think it just boils down to who and what kind of people you are and what you expect.
Not all hotels are for everyone.
If I recall asking about I-drive hotels many people had negative views then you got many people saying they enjoyed there stay.:rotfl:

OK - we have just returned from Pop. We have two children aged 13 & 10 and it suited us all just fine. We have (Pre Children) stayed at the Royal Plaza. I think POP is great value for money, but a bit Motel like where as the Royal Plaza is more of a hotel. I would probably stay at Pop again, as it was ideal with the children - great large pools and the one by the 80 & 90's complex was virtually empty all the time. When we stayed at the Royal Plaza (Ok it was about 15 yrs ago), but we hadn't pre-booked and we got a great deal on the room. It is also handy for staggering back from DTD !!

I am glad i have read this thread.
I have booked one week in All Stars and one week in Animal Kingdom.
I decided on this mainly for cost. I do only want somewhere to wash and sleep. and would rather have more spending money for SHOPPING!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter