Poor Unfortunate Soles: Marathon Weekend 2013 (5K, Half and Full Marathon)-COMPLETE!!

MWAHAHAHA. :teeth:

A photo book of marathon weekend or something else? I've wanted to make photo books for the races in the past but never got around to it. Might be a good gift idea for the bro. :idea:

I am going to make one for the marathon (oh, I gotta order my pictures today - I don't want to spend $80 but those are the only finish line and running pictures I have).

Right now I am making one for my brother because we went to Europe together last year and I am doing one for that trip. It will be his early birthday present. I am using mypublisher.com and it is pretty cool. I don't have time to sit down and do an actual scrapbook (because my BFF is the scrapbooker and she moved!) but this is a good alternative! And when you sign up, you get a code for buy one get one free, so I get one too. I think like a 20-page 8x10 book (or some size like that) is $30. Of course, I am already up to 40 pages. :rolleyes1 We took a lot of pictures.

Technically not Christmas - we'll get there a few days after Christmas and then stay until January 4. I'm excited but nervous about the crowds...but with Will's teaching schedule we are so limited with when we can go for longer periods of time. It's really either winter break or over the summer (spring break isn't an option because he's a tennis coach and that's when practice starts). When we went in June 2011 we really struggled in the heat and Will said he never wanted to go again over the summer just because it was so hot. It's okay by me because I LOVE seeing the Christmas decorations. Our original plan was to rent points and do a split-stay at AKL and the Villas at Wilderness Lodge. The point rental for the first part of the trip at AKL went through fine, but right at the 11-month mark I tried to rent at VWL and it was BOOKED SOLID. In fact, I was told that EVERYTHING was booked except for AKL, Saratoga and Old Key West! :eek: I'm pretty sure discounts never come out for rooms during that week and while we really wanted to stay at Wilderness Lodge (and are really disappointed that it didn't work out :worried:) there's no way we'd pay full price for a room there, so we made a second reservation at AKL (technically AKV, I guess). I'm stunned that DVC was totally booked, and really quite nervous for the crowds...but I know we'll have an amazing time. We probably could have fooled around with the dates and made VWL happen, but I think it would have gotten too confusing.

Ah that sucks you couldn't do a split stay like you wanted! But you are going to have an awesome time! The lights are just so amazing! I don't really remember the crowds too much (and this was before fast pass so we obviously waited in some lines!).

If that doesn't happen then my next race at Disney will most likely be Goofy in 2015. We want to have a kiddo at some point and money (like I said), so that might be it for awhile.

My brother said he wanted to run one with me this year and then keep training and run Goofy in 2015! :joker: I hope he does because I really want to do Goofy that year. Just once!

Ya, damn babies. haha. We will probably have one at some point too, and I am just hoping it doesn't mess up my Disney race plans! :rotfl:

Yay Shannon! Congrats on finishing all the races! I just got caught up and I have to tell you I was sooo excited to keep reading your posts! At one point I was kinda breathing hard while I read the last part when you finished... somehow my legs hurt too! :rotfl2: right, as if...

can't wait to read how you celebrated afterwards!

gina

Congrats! I was reading your last few updates during class and found myself tearing up- how exciting! I know it didn't hit you when you finished but that whole weekend really was an awesome accomplishment. I'm definitely inspired to complete a Goofy myself!

Congrats on finishing all your races and thank you for letting me follow along on such a fun and inspiring tr! I'm just sad that it is coming to an end! Which Disney cruise are you doing and will you be completing a tr on that? I follow the cruise stuff most here on Dis because we are cruising on the fantasy 2-2014. I will be looking for your reports in the future since you have a fun and energetic writing style!

Shannon,

Thanks again so much for your race reports! It really does help motivation. I just also really enjoy reading your reports just because of the way you write and fit the pictures in with your story.

So thanks again, and I plan on having a report next year, but it wont be as good as yours :)

And of course, GREAT JOB!!!:cool1::banana::yay::worship:

Congratulations on the finish! Honestly, I'm tearing up a little bit just reading your report! I am amazed you finished this!

Thanks, and welcome! :)

Hi there!

I'm also from the Cleveland area! :) Not to be blunt, but if you're training for the half in January, you're gonna have to get used to running in less-than-ideal weather...or get friendly with the treadmill. :sad2: It stinks, but it's worth it. :thumbsup2

That's awesome that you and your husband are running together! I'm going to give you a (totally unsolicited) suggestion: train for and run a 10K sometime this year. It'll get you ready to train for the half, you'll get more race experience, and you can use the time for corral placement for the WDW Half. :goodvibes

Good luck to you and your husband with your training! :goodvibes

I plan on joining the rec in September of this year, and using a treadmill all winter. I hate running when my lungs feel like they're freezing.

That's a really great suggestion. Do you recommend any races in the area? I"ve been searching for a 10K in August/September, and I haven't found any.

I just fell in love with CrossFit, and I've been debating doing CrossFit a few days a week in addition to running. I'm not sure-- I want to keep up strength training!

I can't believe you have finished it!! It seems like so long ago since your training journal started. It has been a privilege to share your journey in a kinda stalkery way. I cannot wait for your next one!!

I just fell in love with CrossFit, and I've been debating doing CrossFit a few days a week in addition to running. I'm not sure-- I want to keep up strength training!

The only thing most people will normally tell you, is to make sure the muscles you use during running get rest days in between runs.

Congrats on finishing all of the races. You've definitely inspired me to get to disney for one. I'm still hoping for the princess half in 2014, but I have to see what I can work out for it from a training perspective and with the family. Now to find some more runDisney trip reports to read!

Do you train on the treadmill at all during the cold months or run outside?

Congrats again!
Thank you so much! :goodvibes I know what you mean, I LOVE reading race reports!

I run outside as often as I can. I do go on the treadmill twice per week, but that's only because if I use the gym at work a certain number of times per month they give me an incentive (i.e. not raising my health insurance premiums from year to year). If it wasn't for that I'd never run on the treadmill. It's just SO boring...but I won't run outside if there's lightning or tons of ice.
It sure does help - thanks for all the helpful information! I'll definitely be reading about these 3 models tonight. DH does use a heart rate monitor, so that will factor into the decision on the one I buy for him. I think I'll still mostly be using the treadmill for the next few weeks anyway. If only spring could show up sooner than later and melt some of this New England snow....
If he needs the HR monitor then I'm pretty sure the 10 won't work. I think the main idea of the 10 is that it has a minimal amount of features, which is why it's cheaper. I'm with you on the snow! I can't wait for spring to come...
I already planted the seed about wanting to strive for a Disney race in the near future and DH didn't shut me down - in fact he said he would train to run with me...the only issue is we would need to also convince a family member to join us and do some early morning babysitting.

Thank you so much for your help and your trip reports - I hope there are more coming soon!
YAY! Now you just need to decide on a race! :teeth: (Oh yeah, and get the babysitter. Good luck with that!)

I have a couple of trips coming up so I'm sure I'll write reports for those. :)
I am going to make one for the marathon (oh, I gotta order my pictures today - I don't want to spend $80 but those are the only finish line and running pictures I have).
I just got the one photo. There were no good finish line pictures of me. :mad: Of course that's probably because I stopped for the character photos at the finish...

FYI - when you order photos from MarathonFoto you should get some kind of credit to use at Shutterfly.com. You can make photo books there too.
Right now I am making one for my brother because we went to Europe together last year and I am doing one for that trip. It will be his early birthday present. I am using mypublisher.com and it is pretty cool. I don't have time to sit down and do an actual scrapbook (because my BFF is the scrapbooker and she moved!) but this is a good alternative! And when you sign up, you get a code for buy one get one free, so I get one too. I think like a 20-page 8x10 book (or some size like that) is $30. Of course, I am already up to 40 pages. We took a lot of pictures.
Oh, cool! I feel like these photo sites are always running SOME kind of deal for when you sign up. I keep meaning to make books for the races we have done but never get around to it. I'm not sure if my brother would like that or not...I'll have to think about that.
Ah that sucks you couldn't do a split stay like you wanted! But you are going to have an awesome time! The lights are just so amazing! I don't really remember the crowds too much (and this was before fast pass so we obviously waited in some lines!).
I know! I thought I was overdoing it by trying to book so early, but clearly we're dealing with serious business when it comes to Christmas week...:eek:

I'm SO excited to see everything though! The decorations were still up last year during the marathon and this year almost everything was gone, so that was a bit of a bummer.
My brother said he wanted to run one with me this year and then keep training and run Goofy in 2015! I hope he does because I really want to do Goofy that year. Just once!
WOOHOO! Goofy 2015! Man, the more I hear about it the more I think that I will DEFINITELY need to sign up as soon as registration opens...it's gonna fill up fast!
Ya, damn babies. haha. We will probably have one at some point too, and I am just hoping it doesn't mess up my Disney race plans!
LOL! I'm thinking the same thing! :rotfl:
Congrats!!
Thank you!! :goodvibes
Yay Shannon! Congrats on finishing all the races! I just got caught up and I have to tell you I was sooo excited to keep reading your posts! At one point I was kinda breathing hard while I read the last part when you finished... somehow my legs hurt too! right, as if...

can't wait to read how you celebrated afterwards!

gina
Thanks Gina! We celebrated by EATING! I'll post about that in a few! :)
Congrats! I was reading your last few updates during class and found myself tearing up- how exciting! I know it didn't hit you when you finished but that whole weekend really was an awesome accomplishment. I'm definitely inspired to complete a Goofy myself!
Thank you so much! :goodvibes I'm still not totally sure if it's hit me yet. I hope you get to do it some day...it's challenging for sure, but what an experience!
Congrats on finishing all your races and thank you for letting me follow along on such a fun and inspiring tr! I'm just sad that it is coming to an end! Which Disney cruise are you doing and will you be completing a tr on that? I follow the cruise stuff most here on Dis because we are cruising on the fantasy 2-2014. I will be looking for your reports in the future since you have a fun and energetic writing style!
Thank you! :goodvibes The cruise is with a group of ladies I'm friends with on another message board...it's a 4-night cruise to the Bahamas on the Dream in September! I'd love to go on a cruise with my husband but he's SUPER not into it...the thought of being on a boat in the middle of the ocean really freaks him out. :( So I think this is my one shot to try it out. I'm sure I will do a trip report - I love writing them and I really do like having everything written out for myself so that I can look back on it later. :goodvibes The Fantasy sounds amazing! 2014 will be here before you know it.

Thanks for checking out my trip report! :goodvibes
Shannon,

Thanks again so much for your race reports! It really does help motivation. I just also really enjoy reading your reports just because of the way you write and fit the pictures in with your story.

So thanks again, and I plan on having a report next year, but it wont be as good as yours

And of course, GREAT JOB!!!
Glad you are enjoying the report! I'll be looking for yours next year!! :)

Thank you! :goodvibes
Congratulations on the finish! Honestly, I'm tearing up a little bit just reading your report! I am amazed you finished this!
Thanks Amanda! Wait, are you even home to read this, or are you in WDW for the Princess?? YAY! If you see this message, good luck and I hope you have an amazing time! :goodvibes
I plan on joining the rec in September of this year, and using a treadmill all winter. I hate running when my lungs feel like they're freezing.
I totally get it. I've read somewhere that a person's lungs actually need to go through an adjustment period to get used to running outside in the cold. When I trained for the Princess Half in 2011 I still wasn't used used to running outside and I remember doing a 12.5-miler on the treadmill. It was so BORING...I think that was when I started to really make the effort to run outside in the cold. It's no ideal but I just cannot mentally handle the treadmill that much. :confused3
That's a really great suggestion. Do you recommend any races in the area? I"ve been searching for a 10K in August/September, and I haven't found any.
10Ks are hard to find around here! I've only ever run one, and that was as a part of the Akron Marathon Relay in 2009. I need to find a real one to run some day!

I know there is a 10K during Cleveland Marathon Weekend. There's also this one in October and the Towpath 10K.

If you can't find a 10K you could also run a race longer than a 10K for corral placement. For the past 2 years I've used times from the Cleveland 10-miler for my corral placement...but that one might be coming up quickly for you to be trained for it. I know there's a 10-miler later in the year in Lynhurst as well, but I've never run it.

I don't know much about CrossFit...I keep wanting to try it and then I chicken out! You are braver than I am! :)
I can't believe you have finished it!! It seems like so long ago since your training journal started. It has been a privilege to share your journey in a kinda stalkery way. I cannot wait for your next one!!
Yeah, I started that thing in August! So nice of you to follow along for the entire time! :goodvibes And hey, I don't think it's completely stalkery if I put this stuff out there for all to read...:p
I've had my eye on the Tower of Terror ten miler since last year! That or may e the Princess Half!
Both good choices!! :) I definitely want to do the 10-miler some day...that medal is awesome!

Jambo, Everybody! LET'S EAT!

After I got my Goofy medal I met up with my mom and aunt in the finisher area...they didn't actually see me finish, but it was nice that they were there. Unfortunately, I wasn't super great company. All I wanted was to be clean and dry and out of the sun, and now that I had stopped running I was moving at a snail's pace and was very aware of the pain in my quads and feet. I told them that I was pretty sure that our 1:30 lunch reservation at Kona was in jeopardy and thanked them for being there, but I had to GO. They were very understanding, congratulated me on finishing, and we headed our separate ways. This was the last time I saw them that weekend.

I texted Will that I was done and he said he was near the monorail, so I began the slow hobble to the station. I felt like I was in a fog and I truly don't think I have ever moved so slowly in my life. I wasn't fully paying attention to where I was going and suddenly found myself standing in front of a fence. I just kind of stared at it...where had it come from? Who had put it there? The station was just on the other side, but it looked like I had two options to get there: hop the fence or walk around it (about 50 feet away). Neither seemed appealing or possible at the point, and before I even realized what I was doing I found myself on the other side of the fence. I'd somehow climbed over the it, medals, bottled water, Powerade and weird runDisney snack box in hand. I'm not sure how I did it - probably the knowledge that I'd be off my feet sooner this way gave me the motivation.

I met up with Will and we headed through bag check at Epcot to get to the monorail station. The CM waived me right through ("Go on, Princess!" princess:) and we slowly climbed up the ramp to the monorail. I kept apologizing to Will for not moving faster and he said it was fine. We were at the front of the line for our car and against my better judgment I finally allowed myself to sit down. It was glorious :cloud9:

A monorail pulled up pretty quickly, but we weren't allowed to board just yet. It looked like an older passenger was having problems (not sure what happened, but by now it was 80 degrees out, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was dehydration or something else heat-related :worried:). The CMs were helping her out and the platform was filling with people waiting to leave the station. A few minutes later we were allowed to board and I managed to pull myself up using the railings. I stood during both monorail rides so my legs wouldn't tighten up and we made it back to the resort by 1. Finally I accepted defeat and canceled our Kona lunch reservation...so sad. :sad1: Love that place for lunch.

We headed back to Conch Key and Will was kind enough to take one of the room's trash cans to the ice machine and fill it with ice. I finally took my shoes off (which didn't feel as good as I'd expected) and took a 10-minute ice bath...and it felt AMAZING. Sweet numbness. After that I finally took that shower I'd been craving all morning, and here I discovered I had some skin issues. :sad2: I was sunburned in a few weird strips on my back, which hurt a little bit, but overall my sunscreen had held up very well. Very impressive considering the fact that I'd applied it 10 hours earlier and then proceeded to get soaked in sweat. The bigger issue though was CHAFING. All over my...ahem...chest and rib cage area :eek:, basically any spot that I had missed that morning when I was applying BodyGlide. It was so bad - in fact I still have marks from it one month later - that I don’t know how I hadn't felt it until then. I'm so glad I didn't...I can't imagine having felt that burning and still have been able to function on the race course. But I definitely felt it in the shower...yowza. Luckily it was only on my upper body and nowhere else.

After the shower (and lots of Neosporin that I'd brought from home on the chafed areas :thumbsup2) I felt a million times better. Will had gotten me another turkey club with those awesome chips from Gaspirlla Island while I was in the shower, so we ate lunch in the room and watched some classic Disney cartoons. It was lovely, and I really remember feeling such an overwhelming sense of relief. I was so incredibly happy to be done, which was kind of sad...it was the first time I remember feeling glad that a Disney race was over. I conked out pretty quickly afterward.

I think I woke up at about 4:15 or 4:30 and quickly got cleaned up for dinner. My quads were still killing me but my feet felt a LOT better. I rolled my quads with The Stick for a bit and we headed out of the room and back to the lobby to catch the monorail to the Magic Kingdom.

edited-0414.jpg

We hopped on a bus to Animal Kingdom and got seated on time for our 5:30 ADR at JIKO...!!! :yay:
edited-0415.jpg

This is my favorite restaurant EVER. Anywhere. Not just in WDW. It holds lots of great memories for us and it's pretty-much perfect every time. Love it.

This time we were seated in the Wine Room.
edited-0416.jpg

We totally want one of these awesome wine trees for the house...I have no idea where we'd put it, but we'd figure something out!
edited-0418.jpg

Our server was Paula (only server of the weekend whose name I remember, oops! :guilty: ) and she was super nice. We got the hot, rose-scented towels (love those) before our basket of bread came.
edited-0419.jpg

Then we both ordered drinks. I forget what kind of beer Will ordered, but I ordered the Three Cape Ladies...a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinotage and Syrah. This is the same wine I've gotten each time we've gone to Jiko and I was disappointed to see that they don't have it by the glass on the menu anymore. Luckily Paula let me know they had an open bottle, so I was able to get a glass! So yummy.
edited-0420.jpg

We put in our orders and I asked that my meat be prepared based on the chef's recommendations (something that I had never thought to do until I read about it in another trip report). Will followed suit.

Will's dish...Curry-rubbed Lamb Loin with cauliflower puree, eggplant-artichoke Zaalouk and olive-walnut tapenade:
edited-0421.jpg

He's so funny...every time we eat at Jiko he'll take a bite, close his eyes, sigh and say, "This is the best thing I have ever eaten!" :rotfl2: He LOVED this and was really surprised by how much he liked the cauliflower puree. Definitely a winner!

As for me...I went with my old stand-by. I'm so boring...this is the fourth time we've eaten and Jiko and the fourth time I've ordered the exact same wine and dinner. I know what I like. :teeth:
edited-0422.jpg

The Filet. Now, this dish used to be listed on the menu as coming with red-wine sauce and macaroni and cheese, but for the past couple of years the mac and cheese hasn't been the side listed with the filet. When we were there, the dish was listed as coming with ancient grain pilaf, heirloom pole beans, Brussels sprouts and red wine sauce. I had heard that you can ask to have the mac and cheese instead, so I did, and it was no problem. In fact, I saw the same dish go to 3 other tables in the wine room alone while we were eating...so I'm not the only one that was being difficult. :teeth: You can see in the above picture that there were also some Brussels sprouts on my plate (they were good!).

Like I said, this was the 4th time I have had this dish, and this was actually the best it's tasted to me. I think having the meat cooked differently made all the difference: normally I'd ask that the steak be cooked medium, but the recommendation from the chef was medium-rare (same for Will's dish, if I remember correctly). It made a huge difference - the steak had so much more flavor. I won't attempt to describe it because if I try to sound like a sophisticated foodie I'll just embarrass myself...but it was just better than it had been in the past. The red wine sauce and mac and cheese were great, as usual. Perfect compliments to the meat. I could eat that mac and cheese for days. OMG, I want some now...*drools.*

Ahem. Anyway...

We got dessert to share. Chocolate and Tea Safari: Vanilla Rooibos-Tanzanian Chocolate Cake, Free Form "Kit Kat," and Vanilla Bean Ice Cream (which they make in-house...Green Tea Ice Cream was listed on the menu but I asked for vanilla instead).
edited-0425.jpg

The Kit Kat had sort of a weird texture, but it was good - sort of flaky and nutty from what I remember. The ice cream and cake were delicious. I love getting these little dessert trios at Jiko...great chance to try lots of things.

We also got a coffee drink to share...I wanted caffeeeeeiiiiiine.
Keoke Coffee: Brandy, Kahlua, Crème de Cacao and Coffee topped with whipped cream.
edited-0426.jpg

Unfortunately I think this is when I learned that I don't like Brandy all that much. :sad2: If I did I think I would have enjoyed this more. Sadness.

So except for not particularly liking the coffee, Jiko hit another home run with us. Perfect service, perfect ambiance (loved the feel of the Wine Room), and excellent food. Can't wait to go back!

**WARNING: ZOMBIE-PERSON PHOTO BELOW.**
edited-0427.jpg

zzzzzzzz

Continued in Next Post

Sounds like it was a good plan to take it easy. Glad to see you wore your medal to dinner! If I had one of those, I don't think I'd ever take it off!

The picture of you and Will is cute- you guys are a cute couple!

Ok, your food looks delicious, but those look like the smallest dinners I have ever seen (or they are just on really large plates!). :rotfl: Of course, my idea of fine dining is Olive Garden... :lmao:

I was disappointed that we didn't get to try any of the restaurants on this trip. With everyone being sick, we just ate quick service at POR and the parks.

I have another full week until the Princess half, so I'm still here!

That dinner at Jiko looks amazing! And bringing lunch back to the room also sounds like it was a home run!

There is nothing wrong with ordering the same food over and over. I do it all the time because I know what I like. Case in point: the Cheesecake Factory. If I don't get the cheesecake I absolutely love and get something else, I'm thinking about what I should've gotten.

Sounds like it was a good plan to take it easy. Glad to see you wore your medal to dinner! If I had one of those, I don't think I'd ever take it off!

The picture of you and Will is cute- you guys are a cute couple!
I wore it for the rest of the weekend, and once we got home it went up on my wall! :) I needed people to know why I was hobbling around! :rotfl2:

Thanks for the compliment on the picture. :goodvibes
Ok, your food looks delicious, but those look like the smallest dinners I have ever seen (or they are just on really large plates!). :rotfl: Of course, my idea of fine dining is Olive Garden... :lmao:

I was disappointed that we didn't get to try any of the restaurants on this trip. With everyone being sick, we just ate quick service at POR and the parks.
Honestly, my first thought when my plate came out was "where's the rest of my mac and cheese?!" :rotfl2: It doesn't look like a lot but it's really filling! I thought the same thing the first time we ate at Sanaa, that the portions looks small, and then remember having trouble even finishing my meal because I was so full.
I have another full week until the Princess half, so I'm still here!

That dinner at Jiko looks amazing! And bringing lunch back to the room also sounds like it was a home run!
Oh, oops! Clearly I have my dates mixed up. :faint:

Jiko WAS amazing. I love that place! Lunch in the room afterward was so relaxing. I would have loved lunch at Kona but we made the right call.
There is nothing wrong with ordering the same food over and over. I do it all the time because I know what I like. Case in point: the Cheesecake Factory. If I don't get the cheesecake I absolutely love and get something else, I'm thinking about what I should've gotten.
Okay, good! :goodvibes I do that all the time too at home AND at Disney. But I figure with the Disney restaurants I only get to eat at those places 1-2 times per year if I'm lucky, so I'd better get what I know I already like. YUMMM

...aaaaand now I want some Cheesecake Factory! :rotfl2:

Yum - dinner looks delicious! We did a split stay at AKL and BCV in October and weren't able to squeeze in a dinner at Jiko and were so disappointed. After seeing those meals, I think it's top on our list for next visit (which I've already decided will include a longer stay at AKL).
That's such a great picture of you and your DH!

Are you currently training for any races? How many miles do you run in a week when you are not training?

A special dinner at Jiko is a fabulous way to celebrate! Everything looks so good! Sad to see you're not planning on marathon weekend in 2014, I would have really like to meet you. Guess I'll just have to plan on 2015 then!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter