Pools in August

nancy01

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone!
This will be our 6th trip to the world in the last 7 years, but our first time visiting in August. All of our previous trips have been in October but my new job means I can only travel during school breaks. We booked the Poly and are very excited to be staying there again as that was the resort we stayed in during our first trip in 2010. With how hot we've heard it gets in August, we hope staying in a monorail resort will help.

My question is regarding the pools. We were hoping to take afternoon breaks and use the pools, but I've heard some reports that the water is too warm to be refreshing in August. I'm wondering if anyone who's been there in mid August can chime in on this. Any tips on how to make the most of our first August trip would also be appreciated. We have three children ages 7, 9 and 12 if that helps. Thanks!!

the pool water is definitely very warm in august.
you can hop right in without testing it first.
i do think that its refreshing for a minute when you've been hot and sticky since the second you step outside but it does lose the refreshing feeling very quickly and after a little while you may be wanting to get out and hop in a chilly shower to really get some refreshment.

We go to Disney every August. Yes, the pool water is warm (as PP mentioned you can just jump right in- don't need to test it), but after having been in a park all day in August, it's very refreshing. My DD's and I have always spent at least a couple of hours each day in the pool. We always try to spend part of our holiday at the Beach Club so we can use Stormalong Bay. If I recall, the waterslides are refreshing (water on the slide, getting water 'dropped' on you on way down - I guess this depends on the waterslide - there is a spot on SAB waterslide that water falls on you as you slide down). The resort pools are a big draw for us when we go to Disney in August. Have fun!

Hi everyone!
This will be our 6th trip to the world in the last 7 years, but our first time visiting in August. All of our previous trips have been in October but my new job means I can only travel during school breaks. We booked the Poly and are very excited to be staying there again as that was the resort we stayed in during our first trip in 2010. With how hot we've heard it gets in August, we hope staying in a monorail resort will help.

My question is regarding the pools. We were hoping to take afternoon breaks and use the pools, but I've heard some reports that the water is too warm to be refreshing in August. I'm wondering if anyone who's been there in mid August can chime in on this. Any tips on how to make the most of our first August trip would also be appreciated. We have three children ages 7, 9 and 12 if that helps. Thanks!!

You'll be fine.....We've gone 3 times in the summer so far, and managed w/ no problems.... True it is Hotter than He#* but as you stated , you'll be taking those mid day breaks that are a necessity. We've been at BWV 2 times during August and luckily some shaded areas. I'm sure you'll be able to find some there. As for the water, I'd say it's around 85* or so.....It is what it is, and it'll feel waay better than just standing outside & melting for sure. LoL. Main thing is to stay hydrated.A bunch of extra frozen water bottles will do the trick..

The water temps never bother me even in the hottest part of the summer, it isn't freezing cold like some pools can be and even though it's heated to probably around 80 degrees or so I still think it's refreshing. It probably varies from person to person, but I've never gotten out of a pool at any of the Disney resorts because the water was to warm (and I've been in July/August many times).

I've gone in Aug many years. The pools have always been great. During the summer, they are usually open until 11pm. Maybe try a pre-bed swim instead. :) If you're at the Poly, you can swim and watch the fireworks the same time!

Thanks so much everyone for your helpful replies! I feel much more reassured and very excited about our upcoming trip!

Hi everyone!

We are just like you ----- used to go in October but now go in August (last year was the first time for us in August) and we are staying at the Poly. We check in 2 weeks from today! Like other posters have said, the pool water is a little warmer in the summer but not like bath water. We are anxious to try the Oasis pool.

Have a great trip!!

Hi everyone!

Perhaps you can go to the ice machine and put a few ice cubes in the pool to cool it off.

As everyone has stated , the pool water is warm. I like it that way though. To me, it is still refreshing and just floating around in a pool gets me in a more relaxed state of mind. I cannot see any negatives..... Unless you are a polar bear ;)

Water temps are mid 80s in the pools in August
We stayed at the Poly last August and it was fine. The pool bar makes good things to cool you down too

The quiet pools at POR are fairly shaded so I never noticed them super heat in August. The larger pools seem to still stay relatively cool over there too.

The water is fine. The bigger problem are the daily storms which close down the pools. We had to schedule a morning to swim one time in August because we kept missing swimming during our afternoon breaks and the kids were getting bummed lol. They also keep the pools closed if there is lightning around within a certain radius. We had more luck swimming in the evenings as well.

My question is regarding the pools. We were hoping to take afternoon breaks and use the pools, but I've heard some reports that the water is too warm to be refreshing in August.

I live right next to the parks. My back yard pool right now is about 86 degrees. For some that's warm. For others its cool.

IMHO sometimes the pool water is too hot to be refreshing during the summer at WDW. I've experienced it in June, July and August but not every year, it depends on the weather pattern. When it's like that I take a cold shower and a nap in the ac with the ceiling fan moving the air around :)

Hi everyone!

Yes, the pool water gets very warm. We found that adding the Water Parks and more option to our ticket is very helpful when it is hot. The water parks in August are not very busy, and the water tends to be cooler.

I don't mind. Usually my son will start to shiver after a while in a pool, no matter what the air temp is. With the warmer water, he stays much better acclimated.

I certainly still find it enjoyable to be in the pool mid-day, mai tai in hand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter