• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

pool swimsuit and a bit large - ladies please

I have to say...I am at the opposite end of the spectrum (small sized) and am STILL very very very self conscious about being in a bathing suit @ the pool!

I think when I went to Disney last time (in my size 2), I sat covered up by the pool to conceal my flaws!

I have to tell you, I envied all the women in all shapes and sizes who were in their bathing suits swimming and having a great time! I was missing out.

So, honestly, wear your bathing suit and have a blast!

I hope I can bring myself to do it this year!!!

I have to say...I am at the opposite end of the spectrum (small sized) and am STILL very very very self conscious about being in a bathing suit @ the pool!

I think when I went to Disney last time (in my size 2), I sat covered up by the pool to conceal my flaws!

I have to tell you, I envied all the women in all shapes and sizes who were in their bathing suits swimming and having a great time! I was missing out.

So, honestly, wear your bathing suit and have a blast!

I hope I can bring myself to do it this year!!!

Do it this year, you are in Disney the melting pot of the world, you'll never see anyone there again so go, have fun and be proud of your body:cool1:

I look at it this way, the ones with the perfect or near perfect bodies are the freaks. The rest of us are just normal. They are the ones that should be concerned with how they look.:cool2:

I am another smaller sized person, size 0. And I too feel self conscious at the pools in my swimsuits. Worrying if people think I am too big, too skinny, to whatever, even though I am told I look amazing in them. Aw how I wish it is more acceptable to wear one piece swimsuit. But sadly at my age(22) it is not. At least I will still go to the pool at my apartment and on vacations.

It is great to see women of different shapes and sizes being completely comfortable in their skins! Go out and have a fun time at the pool!:goodvibes

I look at it this way, the ones with the perfect or near perfect bodies are the freaks. The rest of us are just normal. They are the ones that should be concerned with how they look.:cool2:

Not to start anything. But why are those with "the prefect or near perfect bodies" consider freaks and why are the ones that should be concerned with their looks? They are normal too!
But then what is normal? Is it what society dictates? Then perfection and thinness is normal since that is what fashion is showing us with the runways and fashion magazines. It is put in front of our eyes everyday by the media. But then why should our size matter? As long as we are comfortable in our skins why should some be normal and others are not? Since it is all in the eyes of the beholder.
(Sorry for going off, I just do not like how "perfect or near perfect" people get categorized sometimes as "different" not like everyone else. Or being thin for that matter. Body image is a very sensitive subject for me. And I really love how so many of you are very comfortable in your own skin, I really truly envy you.)

My word! I am not the smallest girl anywhere, but a few things....
1. Have you seen the way many women look in their regular street clothes??? No, you do NOT look good if there are several rolls of fat hanging over the waistband of your two-sizes too small pants.
2. How many people have you ever seen that truly look great in a bathing suit? I mean...not flab, no stretch marks...nothing. Not a lot of women over thirty, that's for sure.
Human bodies are unique and crazy and fun. I am so glad that I grew up swimming and going to the beach and wouldn't let anything come between me and a pool! So, go, relax...and HAVE FUN!!

Aw how I wish it is more acceptable to wear one piece swimsuit. But sadly at my age(22) it is not. At least I will still go to the pool at my apartment and on vacations.

It is totally acceptable to wear a one piece swimsuit if that's what you prefer. I don't think I've ever worn a two piece - from childhood through teen years, and now as an adult. I've always felt insecure about losing part of a two piece in the pool. With a one piece, it's not going anywhere that I'm not going with it! There are plenty of cute one piece swimsuits out there.

I agree that everyone should wear what they are comfortable swimming in - so long as it covers what should be covered.

I have to mention my situation here, although it's not as much weight, it still has to do with how we look. Chemo has caused me to lose my hair and I have an implant on only one side which has to be inflated to two sizes larger than the normal one on the other side. This summer I will still be bald and still have an "A" Cup on one side and a "C" cup on the other. I'm worried about wearing T shirts and how I will look. Right now I'm leaning toward "Who Cares" but I'm not sure I'll be able to pull off that attitude when the time gets here. But now I think I will. Because as I read your post I was thinking it doesn't matter what a person looks like as long as they have a good attitude and they are a nice person - that's what counts. Especially being a nice person. So I'm going to take my own advice and not care what I look like and just keep on being nice to people and if they don't like how I look - well - I can't help that.

So go for it - wear that swimsuit with pride! And have a blast in the pool.

Bald is beautiful baby....I never wore a wig when I went through chemo and I didn't care how ravaged my chest looked! The point it that you are there enjoying the fact that God has given you the chance to have a good time!!! No one should fee lashamed of what they look like. BTW, someone was staring at me once and made some rude comment about my lack of hair. His wife/SO was standing there so I looked calmly in her eyes and said that I used to have a wonderful head of hair until too many perms made my hair fall out....both of them nearly fell over!!

Be proud of who you are, and take advantage of the pools

cheryl

Thanks for your reply Cheryl. I take my hat off in the car (don't wear a wig either) and then forget to put in on before going into the store and then wonder why people are looking at me funny - "Haven't they ever seen a woman wearing a hat? No they don't often see a bald woman, hunched over her cart because she's so tired she can barely push it and she's 49 but look's like she's 69" That's why they are staring!" :lmao: Then I get back into the car look into the mirror, realize what happened and have a good laugh.

I loved your response about the perms. If I ever have that happen I think I may use that expect with hair color, because I never colored my hair :rotfl:. I'm grateful I have a great sense of humor (or at least a very weird one).

It is totally acceptable to wear a one piece swimsuit if that's what you prefer. I don't think I've ever worn a two piece - from childhood through teen years, and now as an adult. I've always felt insecure about losing part of a two piece in the pool. With a one piece, it's not going anywhere that I'm not going with it! There are plenty of cute one piece swimsuits out there.

I agree that everyone should wear what they are comfortable swimming in - so long as it covers what should be covered.

Thanks, I do agree that there some very cute one piece swimsuits out there! Though there are some that do look like they will come off if you are not careful!

I went to the pool when I was a size 26/28 and I've been there as a size 18. I usually wear either a two piece (tankini type not a teenie weenie bikini ROFL) or a one piece with swim shorts over them. I'm a little self conscious, but honestly nobody is watching. And if they are, let them! Nobody is perfect, we all come in different shapes and sizes. And besides, what are the chances you'll ever see the people at that pool again? LOL Slim to none! So go enjoy!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter