Pool Question BC vs. BWI

Abharmagic

DIS Veteran
OK, booked BWI- but my kids are big swimmers and are enthralled by BC's really cool pool, but I heard the BC's pool closes early in the evening- 8 Pm or earlier? While BWI also has a (slightly less, to my kids) cool pool with a slide that stays open until 11 PM. My kids enjoy a late night swim on vacation. It could be a seeling point to me if BC pool stays open late- prices at BC and BWI are identical right now for the dates I want.

Confirm? Deny? Experiences?

Hello! We've stayed at both BWI (once, last August) and BC (many times!) We really enjoy both! Pool hours vary at SAB based on a variety of factors, including time of year, crowds, weather, etc.

Here are our most recent experiences with SAB hours at BC:

March 2010: Closed at 10pm
July 2010: Closed at 11pm
February 2011: Closed at 8pm (but was also super cold!)
August 2011: Closed at 10pm (but was the very end of August and slowing down in terms of crowds.)

So the only time in recent experience that we've seen SAB close at 8pm is when crowds were extremely low in early February value season and the nighttime temperatures were in the 30s and 40s.

The quiet pool at BC is reportedly open 24 hours, although the posted signs list the hours as 7am to midnight:

94bc8757.jpg

Here's a photo of the quiet pool at BC:

3da6275a.jpg

Personally I think the Luna Park Pool at the Boardwalk is a lot better then Stormalong Bay because it's way less busy and easier to get around when looking for chairs. Plus in my personal opinion I find Stormalong Bay to be very overated and the fact it has sand at the bottom of the pool doesn't impress me. Finally even though the pool slide at the Boardwalk closes at 10:00 PM or 11:00 PM, the Luna Park Pool itself is always open 24 hours according to the Boardwalk information channel, where as Stormalong Bay closes the whole area at a specific time.

Personally I think the Luna Park Pool at the Boardwalk is a lot better then Stormalong Bay because it's way less busy and easier to get around when looking for chairs. Plus in my personal opinion I find Stormalong Bay to be very overated and the fact it has sand at the bottom of the pool doesn't impress me. Finally even though the pool slide at the Boardwalk closes at 10:00 PM or 11:00 PM, the Luna Park Pool itself is always open 24 hours according to the Boardwalk information channel, where as Stormalong Bay closes the whole area at a specific time.

I agree with all of this word for word!

I thought I was the only one not really impressed with SAB.

Have stayed at both places as well as OKW and VWL. My kids DD18 & DS11 both requested BCV for this year's Spring Break trip. No brainer to them. Crazy Clown pool is just a big pool to my kids without much appeal. Slide did not impress either. If you want to see the expanse of the pool at all times, then go with BW. We just love the different areas of SAB including the lazy river section. I really enjoy watching Raulf conducting the kids activities. He's been there for several years and always makes kids feel special.

If all they want is a late night swim or hot tub, there is always the quiet pool that can satisfy that need.

Have fun choosing!

Depends on the time of year, but not sure on the hours. We have done both many times at spring break and SAB is far better for us. There are always areas in SAB to get away, where Luna is a round packed pool that time of year. As for chairs Luna was booked early as was SAB-but we prefer the sand beach and it always has plenty of chairs. Also love having water 8 feet deep and able to tread for a change.

These pics are both from a hot sunny spring break day last week of March. Plenty of chairs, and open areas to swim.

SP2008045-1.jpg

SP2008030.jpg

OK, booked BWI- but my kids are big swimmers and are enthralled by BC's really cool pool, but I heard the BC's pool closes early in the evening- 8 Pm or earlier? While BWI also has a (slightly less, to my kids) cool pool with a slide that stays open until 11 PM. My kids enjoy a late night swim on vacation. It could be a seeling point to me if BC pool stays open late- prices at BC and BWI are identical right now for the dates I want.

Both resorts have great pools. I prefer BW because its not so crazy. The kids prefer BC. Its the sand bar at BC that my kids love. They are 7 and 9. They had a blast building forts and things with the other boys. As far as slides go they are equally fun.

You did not give the ages of your children, but I think it makes a difference when it comes to BC.
The BC pool is a little confusiing, and it's difficult to keep an eye on your kids. I would have never stayed at BC when my kids were younger. It's just too much work. The parks are exhausting enough without having to chase little kids around the pools all day. The slide is also across a public walkway, and so are the boys bathrooms.:confused3I really think they did a poor job of designing the pool in that regards.

With all that being said we will be staying there again because my kids love it, and the location is perfect.

I don't think you can go wrong with either resort.

I've seen both slides shut down a lot earlier than 11PM because it gets hard to see kids when it gets dark. Once the lifeguards leave, the slides get shut down. The pool may remain open, the slide is closed.

Most pools are not officially open 24 hours if you read the signs at the pools. But if you are quiet and don't draw a lot of attention to yourself, you can often swim later at night (but not use the slides). If you yell and scream, you will be asked to leave the area after the posted hours.

Older or more adventurous kids will like SAB better than Luna Park because of the slide and the deeper area with the swift current where they can float with a noodle or rented tube. Families with preteens and younger may prefer Luna Park because it is easier to watch your kids. Families with small children may like either - SAB for the sand and zero entry over on the YC side. Luna Park for the wading pool area by the elephant.

Stephen King fans will stay anyplace but BW because of the pool and reminders of Pennywise. ;)

The is not a picture of Stormalong Bay, it's the beach area in front of the Yacht Club and Beach Club.

Well like I said-we prefer the beach area shown, I would call it part of SAB though espcially since the pic was taken from the SAB slide which stands on the beach itself. The point is there are plenty of chairs along the walk to the SAB slide.

We have had to show our SAB wristbands while on the beach chairs.

Here is the SAB slide:

SP2008041.jpg

Looking down right:

SP2008045-1.jpg

Looking down left:

SP2008043.jpg

Looking forward:

SP2008049-1.jpg

Looking down back (pretty sure this is part of SAB as well):

SP2008042.jpg

My kids love BC pool, both much prefer it to the BW pool. Your trip is oct/nov which means you'll have lots of warm weather still for swimming.

If you stay at BW, just make sure kids don't see SAB because they'll be asking you to swim there instead. It really is an impressive pool area.

While my husband and I prefer the quiet pool over SAB, the kids love it. They would rather be at SAB over going to the parks.

My husband and I love SAB and we are old and retired. We actually live (and I work at WDW 2 days a week) nearby. We book a 3 or 4 night vacation at the BC every summer JUST TO USE SAB and it is never crowded in the pool. The pool is huge. We never have problems getting seats or finding room to get in the pool. It's 3 acres!! There is no other resort (and we love other WDW resorts) we would spend the money for (our home is free and close) at WDW ... we do it at the BC strictly for Stormalong Bay!!! The pool at BW is just a pool. Nothing special!

We love SAB, and even with the shorter hours, would choose it every time.

Also, as others have said, the other pools at BC, YC, and BCV are basically open 24 hours (if you are not causing a ruckus!!).

Allright now I am COMPLETELY torn- and may change reservation. BTW my kids will be 6 and 8 this trip and are both strong swimmers (swim team) and love to swim above anything else.... looks like BC it is!

My husband and I love SAB and we are old and retired. We actually live (and I work at WDW 2 days a week) nearby. We book a 3 or 4 night vacation at the BC every summer JUST TO USE SAB and it is never crowded in the pool. The pool is huge. We never have problems getting seats or finding room to get in the pool. It's 3 acres!! There is no other resort (and we love other WDW resorts) we would spend the money for (our home is free and close) at WDW ... we do it at the BC strictly for Stormalong Bay!!! The pool at BW is just a pool. Nothing special!

Great input. What a setup you have, and we would do the exact same thing even if we lived nearby. Would keep BCV points just for that getaway,

Allright now I am COMPLETELY torn- and may change reservation. BTW my kids will be 6 and 8 this trip and are both strong swimmers (swim team) and love to swim above anything else.... looks like BC it is!

Kids that are old enough to appreciate a unique pool area and swim independently will definitely prefer SAB at the BC to the Luna Park pool at the BWI. The BWI pool would be great for younger kids since it is more compact, but there is truly no contest as to which pool is better since SAB is more like a mini water park than a regular pool area. Both resorts are fantastic, but I would give the BC the edge if you plan to spend a lot of time at the pool.

To the OP since there are already pictures of Stormalong Bay already posted here, it's only fair that I post pictures of the Luna Park Pool so you can see what it looks like.

IMG_1479.jpg

IMG_1480.jpg

IMG_1481.jpg

IMG_1431.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter