pool problems!. ever happen to you?

I received a quick e-mail from Disney. Stating they will have an executive cast member look into the situation and that I should hear from them again via the US postal service.

Sounds like a canned response to me.

I, too, sent an email about this situation and received what seemed like a formatted response via email. I am still waiting to hear back from the letter I sent 6 weeks ago about expanding the teen clubs!

Hi all. I hope this security issue is addressed.

As for pool chairs and hammocks-when I am with my DD at the Mickey Pool I usually stand around awhile and see which chairs are empty the longest. I then will take one-if it is in a convienent location. I won't grab a chair just for the sake of haviing one.

The hammocks? Honestly, I never saw the attraction of them. IMHO, they are uncomfortable.

Ursula

Originally posted by natdencro
We are early birds and were always up and walking around the ship approx 6.30am. Every day there were at least 20 towels ALREADY PARKED on chairs when we went to get a drink from Deck 9 coffee station. Guess these selfish folks set their alarm, deposit towels and head back to bed? How mean can you get.Nat:Pinkbounc

Just on principle I would have happily removed all those towels and dumped them elsewhere.

I'm sorry for the folks on this thread that have gotten into confrontations over a such a thing. I guess the CM's would have gotten involved if someone was thrown overboard due to a chair issue getting out of hand :thewave:

30 chairs! That's just plain rude! The officer who stood by and did nothing should be disciplined for allowing such a foolish thing to happen to a passenger.

You were very obviously in the right, and it sounds like your husband handled the problem well. Hotheads can't stand it when other people don't "rise to the occasion".

I almost always take one chair for myself, and I put my daughters' things underneath in a beach bag. I swim and sit alternately, and I've never had a problem with anyone taking my chair. Not to say that it won't happen, but I think leaving the chair in such a condition that it's obviously being used (i.e. towel spread over the back, wet spot in the middle of the towel, sunglasses and sunscreen on the seat) makes people look to the next chair instead.

As for Castaway Cay, I'll add my voice to those who've already suggested heading down towards the Heads Up bar. We "set up camp" very early in the middle of the family beach, and within an hour we were overrun with other passengers. We moved to the faaaar end of the family beach, and we were pretty much by ourselves until after lunchtime. Several hammocks remained un-touched most of the day. Disclaimer: we were on a November cruise, and the ship was not full.

I also simply use one chair for all of our stuff. I also ask someone close to watch my stuff while I run to the restroom. People are generally nice onboard. I have also watched someone else's stuff while they were in the pool--they actually didn't ask me but when someone went to use their chair, I politely told them they were in the pool and pointed them out. They moved on. It isn't hard. We have to work together. What would happen if someone goes up and takes off every towel someone else puts on. They won't know if it was a crew member or a person. It is crazy.

DG

Heard back from Disney. They were "sorry that other passangers dimished the enjoyment of my sailing". and informed me that they do have Security on their ships.

They also sent me a Disney Cruise Line bag and picture frame.

The letter and the gifts were nice, but I still don't feel like they addressed my concerns. My concerns regarded the lack of Security not the idiots at the pool. Disney cannot control who sails on their ships, but they should control how things are handled.

Well just wanted to update everyone who was interested in this thread and provided feedback to it.

Hope everyone has a Magical Voyage in the future. Let me know if in the future you see Security Officers on the ship.

Wow!!! I've learned a lot from reading this thread. Bring a beach bag for our stuff for the pool. Station a family member in the chair(s), and keep an eye on them to make sure our stuff doesn't get dumped on the ground while we're in the pool.

Question -- are there towels available at the pool, or do you bring them from your stateroom?

We'll be going in March (the week before Easter - we're crazy, but it's Spring Break) so the ship will be nearly full, if not sold out. My kids like to swim, but I know they'll be more interested in the indoors activities on At Sea days.

Is there a "better" time for being at the pool? Morning, afternoon, evening after dinner?

Towels are available at the pool! No need to bring yours!

I too hope that no one dumps my stuff while in the pool or restroom!:(
Perhaps if I ask the person sitting next to me to watch it for a few minutes, they will?!:confused:

you might want to mention to them that you have gotten lots of informative input from ALL the DISers on the largely used by thousands of people daily DISBoards-that may give them the kick they need!you are a better person than me-I would of gotten right back in their face (of course if my children were not right there to see) no one has more rights than anyone else! and I will not be bullied:wave:

<font color=darkviolet>We cruised this past March during spring break on the magic. My favorite lounge chair at the Mickey pool was the last to be taken because it is in the shade. It is right under Mickey's "hand" that is holding the slide. My DD4 would run right past me on her way to slide again and I would remind her "not to run" . This would get her slowed down before her feet left the no skid mat and hit the deck on her way to the stairs.

She would join me on the lounger to eat pizza, fries and fruit. She even napped here. Lovely to read a book here. I burn easily, so I loved being in the shade.

If she did enter the mickey pool (not often, as she didn't care for it being so crowded, plus the waves would knock her off her feet), I would sit on the edge of the pool to watch her. My towel, sunscreen, book and sometimes our snack, would be left sitting on the lounger. I would have been very sad and put out if my things had been swept off to make room for another.

My DH and DS would roam the ship. Try out Goofy's pool, play ping pong ect. so I didn't save them a chair. I found our pool time very restful and fun. I think all of you planning your vacations are going to enjoy yourselves. Don't worry :D . </font>

here is a few ideas to stop the chair theives:
1. get a "be back in 5 minutes sign" like they use at stores and hang it on the back of the chair
2. get one of those fake piles of vomit and lay that on the seat
3.or one of those fake spilled cans of pop or ice cream cones and leave those on the seat.
I mean who would want to touch that to see if it was real? Hope I made some of you smile!LOL:hyper:

Another good idea is to ask someone around you to save your chair while you run to the restroom or take one of your children etc. This year I will sailing alone with my 3 and 6 year old sons and usually everyone is so friendly that I will not hesitate to ask someone to watch my "things" for a few minutes so I don't have the same problem I had last fall.........even more so since I will be alone.

I SUPPORT OUR TROOPS AND MY HUSBAND IN IRAQ AND OUR PRESIDENT

I just love that idea of the fake spilled soda cans ... don't think I could do the fake vomit..... but I just love the fake can idea....

May have to try that on my next cruise.

On our last Magic cruise this past February, there were a ton of empty lounge chairs by the Mickey Pool and the Goofy Pool. Yet, they were all "occupied" by people's towels and personal possessions. Very frustrating for my family to visit the pool areas with all our own stuff in tow.

Is this still going on recently despite Disney's rules about chair saving?

On our last Magic cruise this past February, there were a ton of empty lounge chairs by the Mickey Pool and the Goofy Pool. Yet, they were all "occupied" by people's towels and personal possessions. Very frustrating for my family to visit the pool areas with all our own stuff in tow.

Is this still going on recently despite Disney's rules about chair saving?

It is disappointing, people should be considerate, I have had to find a bed at the back in the sun, and the beds all around the pool 'never' used for hours, however this also occurs at hotels, and its realy down to the people not the cruise line to be considerate.

We had a similar problem on the Magic last fall.

Well both of my sisters got in the pool to watch my sons so I could use the restroom and my MIL was still reading in her chair. I went to the restroom. While I was in the restroom my MIL got up for a few minutes to go get an ice water from the drink station. In the few minutes it took to do this she came right back to our 2 chairs and a "couple" had dumped our things (3 tote bags, towels, toys, sunblock, hats, MIL reading glasses and a open book) off our 2 chairs.

I came back from the restroom right after it happened and saw my MIL just standing there in shock. I asked her what was wrong and she told me and I saw our things in a pile. I told the couple in a very nice way there were 8 of us using the 2 chairs and I had run to the bathroom and my MIL was getting water from the drink station. I asked why they had taken our chairs and dumped our things off?

B&W Mom

Look similair to us too. Last Cruise at Med. One day after we went out to excursion to Pisa. When we came back and decide to go to sunbed near children swimming pool. There were PLENTY empty sunbed. My husband and I decided to go to spa to watch movies and we told our childrens where we were.

Then suddendly my daughter was carrying my things and I told her off then she said lady dumped my stuff on the chair:scared1: I got panic cos I put my digitial hearing aid under my clothes. I went over and there were one couple there. I get angry and shouted at them HOW DARE YOU!! Because they took off my stuff and left on the chair as there were plenty empty SUNBED:confused3 I looked for my hearing aid and they realised and they try help me Oh I was so mad. I think they felt GUILTY:scared: . My husband and I cannot believe that happened. He went back again for missing tee shirt and you see their faces :scared1:

That was only bad part in our Cruise.

Scottishwee35

Look similair to us too. Last Cruise at Med. One day after we went out to excursion to Pisa. When we came back and decide to go to sunbed near children swimming pool. There were PLENTY empty sunbed. My husband and I decided to go to spa to watch movies and we told our childrens where we were.

Then suddendly my daughter was carrying my things and I told her off then she said lady dumped my stuff on the chair:scared1: I got panic cos I put my digitial hearing aid under my clothes. I went over and there were one couple there. I get angry and shouted at them HOW DARE YOU!! Because they took off my stuff and left on the chair as there were plenty empty SUNBED:confused3 I looked for my hearing aid and they realised and they try help me Oh I was so mad. I think they felt GUILTY:scared: . My husband and I cannot believe that happened. He went back again for missing tee shirt and you see their faces :scared1:
Plenty of sunbeds or not, if you were going to the spa and/or movies, your stuff should not have been left on a chair. Half an hour later, when all chairs were full, would you know to come back and get your stuff so someone at the pool could use it?

That was only bad part in our Cruise.

Scottishwee35
I am sorry about your trouble with your hearing aide, but your plan was the problem at the heart of it. I would also say I would never leave valuables like that unattended anywhere.

Plenty of sunbeds or not, if you were going to the spa and/or movies, your stuff should not have been left on a chair. If you were leaving the pool area at all, your stuff should go with you. Half an hour later, when all chairs were full, would you know to come back and get your stuff so someone at the pool could use it?

I never once found a seat by the pool, or even at the tables nearby because every seat was saved. I am not always able to keep up with DH, and stopped near the pool to wait for him to run to our cabin, and back. I had to move stuff just to sit down. In the 15-20 minutes I waited, not one person came back to that table. I did not dump their stuff. I moved a towel, then moved it back when I left.

We were on our first cruise in December. On the sea day I was up and wandering around before 7am and ther must have been 20 or more sunbeds saved for later. There was not a soul in the pools and not many of us walking around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter