pool hopping - should surely be a showcase for disney resorts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ready to go in Ok said:
Pinchy,

We are all not so passionate about pools. We just don't speak up as much so as to not be eviscerated by the pool mods. Sorry things got nasty for you, other topics to avoid are refillable mugs, in room cooking, smoking, and just about anything else that you can think of. :teeth:

don't forget dining plan credits! :thumbsup2:

minnie61650 said:
My thoughts exactly.

I think there is a small problem with pool hoppers but the bigger problem is more of Disney's guests want to enjoy their own resorts pool(s) and Disney just did not build the pools large enough for the numbers staying there.

PoolRules-1.jpg

asm_14.jpg

Take a close look at the two signs.
The first one is Poly's Main pool the capacity is 110 persons
The second one is the quiet pool at All Star Music it's capacity is 118 persons.

The quiet pool at All Star Music holds more guests than the main pool at the Poly!

not only does sign point out the pool capacity, but the 1st sign it clearly and specifically states for the EXLUSIVE use of polynesian guests and the 2nd sign clearly and specifically states for the EXCLUSIVE use of all stars guests. what is so difficult to understand?

goofy4tink said:
Be that as it may...it is still against the rules. The rules are stated, you can read them. While we all realize that the CMs at the various deluxe resorts do not like to make a scene, and hence allow non-resort guests to swim, it does not make it right.
As for making a big deal out of something minor...there are a lot of people who, while they may agree that pool-hopping is minor, it is still breaking the rules. I've stayed at the Polynesian also, but would not have the nerve to go over there and swim if I were staying at POP.
Not getting into an argument here....the rules are posted, do what you feel is 'right'.

I don't think you read my whole post somehow... I clearly concluded that I would respect the culture of the country I was in now that I know about it and understand it wasn't some little idiosyncracy, it was a widespread view

MEF01 said:
not only does sign point out the pool capacity, but in 1st sing it specifically states for the EXLUSIVE use of polynesian guests and the 2nd sign states for the EXCLUSIVE use of all stars guests.

would it hurt to check out the end of the thread to see where we've ended up on this... I do feel like we've moved on from that point

I think focusing on any one of these issues, such as pool hopping, misses the point. The problem isn't pool hopping. The problem is people thinking that they're entitled to whatever their heart desires. It's either a matter of selfishness or a lack of respect for others, whether they be other guests, a sevice worker, a company, or the government.

Why would you feel the need to pool hop? Is the water different?? As far as I can tell they all have the same type of water. Doyou go from one person's home to the next to try their pool? If you have that much of a desire to use a pool at a certain hotel then pay the money and stay there like everyone else.

pinchy said:
:confused3 ok I get the wrong forum thing - sorry!

but I still think theres no harm in people trying out other pool areas and I see no reason for disney to discourage it... especially if people buy a meal at another hotel

it is called 'walt disney world resort' right? that implies to me that you pay for access to the whole caboodle

Just because you buy a meal it doesn't give you the right to swim in the pool at a resort you are not paying to stay at. It's for Paying Resort Guest Only!
you can go to resorts to see if you want to stay there and when you pay to stay then use the pool.

pinchy said:
would it hurt to check out the end of the thread to see where we've ended up on this... I do feel like we've moved on from that point

no it wouldn't hurt to read the end of the thread and I did just that. but, I just can not understand why some feel it is perfectly ok to to poolhop which is why i commented on the signs. I am heading to disney world for the 1st time in a couple of months and saved long and hard for it and i will be very po'd if i'm unable to find space at my own pool. over the past few months i have read about how tough it can be to find at spots at some pools and how there are persons who proudly proclaim they are hopping with their families. very annoying.

please relax and have a lovely day :)

bicker said:
I think focusing on any one of these issues, such as pool hopping, misses the point. The problem isn't pool hopping. The problem is people thinking that they're entitled to whatever their heart desires. It's either a matter of selfishness or a lack of respect for others, whether they be other guests, a sevice worker, a company, or the government.

I have to disagree. I don't think someone is selfish if they don't not know that they would be causing anyone else harm. With the pool thing, if you know that loads of people would be upset if you did it then it would be selfish to do so. I'm not in anyway saying that makes it ok to do it if you do not know, but I am saying that it doesn't make you selfish. Being selfish is an actively negative trait. I am not selfish. If I was selfish I wouldn't have posed the question in the first place - I would have gone ahead without caring what other people think about. As it is I care enough to learn about what others think and feel. I have never used a hotel pool in the US that I was not staying at. I'm not actually sure I have done it anywhere, but I have been very aware of it being acceptable practice elsewhere. Someone on another boards reckoned that in the UK you probably wouldn't just expect it, but if you were having lunch somewhere and you gave them a call you wouldn't expect there to be a problem.

What I can totally accept in particular about WDW is that it is an exceptionally busy and crowded place and, for that reason, 'pool hopping' is impractical.

Er before all Brits get reputations for pool hopping, room cramming, mug re-using, and taking up someone elses room at other resort I would just like to say 'Not Guilty' :wave2: ;) I pay for 2 rooms at the all stars to accomodate our family of 5, have never used a George Foreman in my life, and my last years mugs are so chewed around the rim and dishwashed so much there is no definable resort pic left on them!!!!. I also go to Typhoon Lagoon to enjoy the best onsite pool. ;) :sunny:

magicmouse2 said:
Er before all Brits get reputations for pool hopping, room cramming, mug re-using, and taking up someone elses room at other resort I would just like to say 'Not Guilty' :wave2: ;) I pay for 2 rooms at the all stars to accomodate our family of 5, have never used a George Foreman in my life, and my last years mugs are so chewed around the rim and dishwashed so much there is no definable resort pic left on them!!!!. I also go to Typhoon Lagoon to enjoy the best onsite pool. ;) :sunny:

:teeth: I haven't done any of those things either

cabanafrau said:
Every time I think about this topic, I kind of laugh to myself. Isn't this the same board where people obsess about room locations because they don't want to have a long walk to the pool (& other amenities)? Surely the pool at your own resort of choice is closer than a pool at a different resort. :goodvibes

Excellent point!

kaysmommie said:
Just because you buy a meal it doesn't give you the right to swim in the pool at a resort you are not paying to stay at. It's for Paying Resort Guest Only!

ITA. And the more I think about it, how does someone buying a meal make them any more eligible than the next person to use the pool? Yes, the hotel made money off the meal as they must in order to pay for the dining room space, kitchen and equipment, food supplies, wait staff, bus boys etc. The remaining profit is the owner or the company's income, just as the money we earn from our jobs are our incomes. So, when we eat at a resort, we are exchanging money for the priviledge of having a meal prepared and served to us, in an enjoyable dining room facility. The exchange of money for a meal is a fair trade and the transaction between both parties has been completed. The fact that the resort made a few dollars off the guest doesn't mean the guest is entitled to some further resort benefits such as the pool. You paid for a meal and you received a meal. Transaction ended.

I think they should change the pool signs to also read DVC members too. I would hate to be a DVC member and the poly pool is full and I have to verify that I am a DVC member so that I won't get kicked out. I know it is a Disney rule that DVC can swim wherever they want (except at a few) but just because you use your points shouldn't enable to you to do so in my opinion. It seems the same logic most post about would also be in effect - you want to swim at a certain pool then book your reservation there.

Sometimes I feel like some on these boards would want everyone to walk around with a variety of wrist bands:

one color for the resort
one color for DVC using their points
one color for those paying for the dining plan
one color for those getting the dining plan for free (promotion)
one color for those who purchased a refillable mug when they checked in

and this would be in addition to the wrist band for EMH.

pinchy said:
I have to disagree. I don't think someone is selfish if they don't not know that they would be causing anyone else harm. With the pool thing, if you know that loads of people would be upset if you did it then it would be selfish to do so. I'm not in anyway saying that makes it ok to do it if you do not know, but I am saying that it doesn't make you selfish. Being selfish is an actively negative trait. I am not selfish. If I was selfish I wouldn't have posed the question in the first place - I would have gone ahead without caring what other people think about. As it is I care enough to learn about what others think and feel. I have never used a hotel pool in the US that I was not staying at. I'm not actually sure I have done it anywhere, but I have been very aware of it being acceptable practice elsewhere. Someone on another boards reckoned that in the UK you probably wouldn't just expect it, but if you were having lunch somewhere and you gave them a call you wouldn't expect there to be a problem.

What I can totally accept in particular about WDW is that it is an exceptionally busy and crowded place and, for that reason, 'pool hopping' is impractical.

Okay, I have no problem with someone's being from another country and their particular country, or a country they may have visited, having different customs as far as swimming in a resorts pool, if you are not staying there. I get it, I really, really do.
However, if you are in the USA and you are at WDW, if you go out to 'check out' a pool, you are going to see signs that tell you that the pool is for the registered guests of that resort only. How hard is that to understand? I don't particularly care what the custom is in France or Great Britain...I'm in Florida, in the US. I follow their rules. It really is very simple. You can see the rules, so, make a decision based on that. But, please, do not come here and continually argue that you have had different experiences around the world. It just doesn't matter here. Sorry.....when in WDW, do as the rules there dictate.

poshspice94 said:
When you are as blessed as I am to go every year, but always wondered how the better half has it, then you will test the "waters" and go have a dip at a more expensive resort's pool. We only get to stay now in the Value resorts, but made a reservation for breakfast at Ohana's at the Polynesian. We brought our swimsuits in a small bag and went outside and had a great time in the pool. We even ordered drinks and told the staff where we were staying. They were more than happy to allow us to use whatever we liked and even found us large beach chairs since the others were all in use. We were so appreciative, we are hoping to allow ourselves to stay there next year. As they said to us "a happy guest is a returning guest!" We are no longer embarassed and plan to "hop again". :banana: So please, don't sweat the small stuff and make a big deal out of something so minor! :love: ENJOY YOUR TRIP NO MATTER WHAT.

Sorry but you should pay $400 a night to swim there like the resort guests do. That is just rude and unfair to paying customers who probably won't have a pool chair. Swim where you pay to stay.

Marie17 said:
I think they should change the pool signs to also read DVC members too. I would hate to be a DVC member and the poly pool is full and I have to verify that I am a DVC member so that I won't get kicked out. I know it is a Disney rule that DVC can swim wherever they want (except at a few) but just because you use your points shouldn't enable to you to do so in my opinion. It seems the same logic most post about would also be in effect - you want to swim at a certain pool then book your reservation there.

Sometimes I feel like some on these boards would want everyone to walk around with a variety of wrist bands:

one color for the resort
one color for DVC using their points
one color for those paying for the dining plan
one color for those getting the dining plan for free (promotion)
one color for those who purchased a refillable mug when they checked in

and this would be in addition to the wrist band for EMH.

Technically, we are supposed to check at the main desk before we use another resort's pool. The front desk may send us to the lifeguard who can tell us if the pool is too crowded for hopping. Technically, that's the policy. But, I think those DVCers that pool hop tend to not check in before swimming. I think they just kind of judge the capacity for themselves.

pinchy said:
I have to disagree. I don't think someone is selfish if they don't not know that they would be causing anyone else harm.
That's why I used the word "or" after the word "selfishness": "It's either a matter of selfishness or a lack of respect for others..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter