Pool hopping no longer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I won't do this justice (Sorry, Webmaster Pete), but swimming in the lakes is extremely dangerous. They have an amoeba that can cause a painful and quick death. No, this is not a hoax.

There is a DIS podcast every week, and Pete's ends it every week by saying, "And stay out of the *@#! lakes!"

It's a hot topic because some people don't want to believe it, and it drives others crazy they would risk their lives...

I won't do this justice (Sorry, Webmaster Pete), but swimming in the lakes is extremely dangerous. They have an amoeba that can cause a painful and quick death. No, this is not a hoax.

There is a DIS podcast every week, and Pete's ends it every week by saying, "And stay out of the *@#! lakes!"

It's a hot topic because some people don't want to believe it, and it drives others crazy they would risk their lives...

Exactly..The amoeba enters thru the nasal passages and mucosa and lets just say likes ....inside the skull as a home.

OP. Nobody is upset or mad at you and at this point we are all fooling around...every one of us here has been flamed at one time or another for something.I have been flamed many times .After awhile you learn to ignore it.There are certain posters here who live to pounce on people.Like I said it is the internet anonymity thing..there are alot of discussion forums that are WORSE then here.Mostly there a good people passionate about Disney....Please Don't let it upset you:hug:

well, I guess it's semantics. Like I said above, it's basically saying "I'm sitting down to watch and enjoy your trauma/the drama at your expense." What else would it mean?
That has always been my take as well. I tend to find it a wee bit sarcastic.

But....the problem is that when someone asks a question, one that has gotten much 'attention' in the past, there are going to be responses that 'may' possibly be construed as flames. But a lot of those responses are just simple statement of fact. And sometimes the OP can take them to be harsh.
I really think that most people try to be sensitive when they post answers to 'hot topics'.

To the OP.....about 3 years ago, I was sitting with my dh's aunt. This woman has spent a ton of time in WDW, but not within the past 10 years..kids got older, married, that sort of thing. Well, when we were talking about where we stay and the pools and stuff, she said that she was taking her swim bag with her, to the MK, when they went back to WDW the next month. I asked her why. She told me that they loved to head to WDW, then go over to the Polynesian for a few hours at the pool, then back to MK for the rest of the day. But...they were staying at a different resort..one that was offsite!! I told her that she wasn't supposed to do that. Oh no, she said...we always do that, no problem. She refused to believe me when I told her that Disney had changed the rules...you were no longer able to just hop over to a pool and use it, even though you weren't staying there. She said that if Disney has an issue with it, they will stop the practice. I just shrugged my shoulders and gave up.
Now...I have no idea what happened when she went. We never discussed it. But as you can see...she had the same thoughts you did..we did it before, Disney was fine with it, we assume we can do it now.
But, Disney did change the rules. They have many more resorts now, so can no longer have non-resort guests swimming at any pool they desire.

I have a pretty good idea what happened. She went to the Poly swam in the pool then went back to MK happens every day.

I have a pretty good idea what happened. She went to the Poly swam in the pool then went back to MK happens every day.

:lmao: You are probably right. This reminds me of the stories about my husband's grandmothers. They were big time line cutters. You couldn't tell them otherwise.:rotfl:

OP. Nobody is upset or mad at you and at this point we are all fooling around...every one of us here has been flamed at one time or another for something.I have been flamed many times .After awhile you learn to ignore it.There are certain posters here who live to pounce on people.Like I said it is the internet anonymity thing..there are alot of discussion forums that are WORSE then here.Mostly there a good people passionate about Disney....Please Don't let it upset you:hug:

Well said RMulieri :thumbsup2 I am sure like you said we have all been flamed one time or another. I know I have. It didn't take me long to learn.:lmao:

OP, I hope this does not stop you from asking questions. There is so much information to be found here on the DIS and a lot of really nice people willing to help.:flower3:

Oh I'm not upset! I WAS uncomfortable... and got caught digging a hole faster than I could climb out trying to explain why. :o

And now I'm just over it.

Now I've seen another smilie that is even worse and I'm just glad that I only got popcorn:: and no :stir:. I might have cried! :rotfl:

Thanks for reassuring me though. And I'm glad you all are having fun! ;)

(and actually I do appreciate learning about everything else to steer clear of)

Merlin don't feel bad, I actually pool hopped and didn't know it was allowed till I got back and read these boards...my bad.Won't do it again.

Some people get very passionate about Disney and don't realize alot of people don't have the time to sift thru past posts on certain topics...so laugh it off.

Think of starting a new post for fun like:

"Is it o.k if my child swims in the resort fountains" or " why doesn't Disney allow me to feed the animals at A.K"...and see what happens.

Now I've seen another smilie that is even worse and I'm just glad that I only got popcorn:: and no :stir:. I might have cried! :rotfl:

(and actually I do appreciate learning about everything else to steer clear of)

:lmao: You are a good sport Merin. When I see hot topics like these and the person has very few posts, it makes me shudder. There are a few dissers on this board that I feel purposely seek some of these threads out to tear a newbie a new one, and are not helpful at all. BUT I must say that the majority here are really helpful and have great advice and just enjoy hanging out wanting to discuss all things Disney :thumbsup2. I am sure one of the current threads I read today referring to asking for a free upgrade will be going South soon. :sad2:

There is a reason that I have been on these boards for 6 years only have 1000 posts. :laughing:

Denise

ok. I have to ask, because frankly I was so confused when people were commenting about rudeness, because I hadn't read anything that I construed as being upset or rude, then someone replied something about getting popcorn smilies. Is that suppose to be an insult of some sort. Gosh, I would need to know something like that because I'd end up insulting people without meaning to.

(I'm a definite newbie to these boards)

No insult. Simply put, the popcorn guy is simply announcing that the topic of the thread is a hotbed one, and they are anticipating that it will get ugly. A shorthand, lighthearted (In my view) way of saying, "Here we go again..." I certainly don't use it as an insult. Just shorthand. I also think that smilies are a shorthand way to soften what you are saying.

this guy: popcorn::

Tone is something that is very hard to indicate using the shorthand informal style that is often used when posting to boards like this one. I see smilies often as a way to say, "I mean this in a lighthearted way." Like when I post about favorite snacks, I almost always mention Mickeybars, I also always include the Mickey bar icon. I love Mickey bars. So if I post something that jokingly tries to say Disney snacks are just okay, I follow up with an almost worshipful comment and smilie about Mickeybars. I think it's cool that the DIS has a smaile for Mickeybars, and I also just look ofr an excuse to use it often.

oooh - I thought of another one.....anything saying or implying that folks who stay at the values are less wealthy than folks who stay at GF, or that any kind of social class distinction might exist, also suggesting in any way that folks who are in a deluxe should be entitled to more (future) amenities than those staying in a value or moderate - especially when you use the loaded term "entitled" , also anything about changing the current fastpass system,

AS for creating a sticky, I dunno, that could be tough. I sort of take this as a tongue in cheek thing. While threads on these topics often disintigrate some don't - or at least they take a while to disintigrate.

Ther are probably a few limited ones like refillable mugs and pool hopping, and late fastpasses. Maybe we could put a link to a central therad that then links to a few threads on each topic. So if someone asks , we could simply say, "You asked a hotbed topic. you are probably new tot eh DIS and didn't mean anything by asking this. It is a hotbed topic. If you want to know about refillable mugs and other hotbed topics look here." Kind of like the popcorn guy smilie.

I also see that many folks posting on this thread see the joke of it, but some are already asking, "Why is X a hotbed topic?" (an honest inquiry) Which usually triggers someone to answer with why they feel the issue is important, which usually triggers another person to give their counter take onthe opposite side of the topic, and so it goes...

THAT's what the popcorn smilie is about. Yeah, it's alittle like rubbernecking on the highway. But often folks who use the popcorn smilie use it to also say, "Here we go again, and I'm going to just back out now before it gets ugly." A way to stay above the fray. Sometimes I intend to stay out of something, but when I see it the thread has gone viral - ans is up to 20 pages - my curiosity gets teh better of me.

Now the pot guy is a little stronger. He's resverved for when someone thinks they spot a troll - ther are a small number of folks out there who intentionally try to fan the fire, also called trolls. They post something that just intentionally sounds nasty or mean spirited or designed to trigger a mean spirited response. The recent DIS ban on certain topics is indicative of some of the range of topics that might fall into this category.

One more thing, despite it's flaws and limitations, I think the overall development of this new form of communication is amazing! I read posts not just to rubberneck, but to see how this new form of communication is developing. It's like a new language is unfolding before our eyes and we're a part of it - just like texting. Just seeing here how different folks interpret smilies is fascinating, don'tcha think?

:lmao: You are a good sport Merin. When I see hot topics like these and the person has very few posts, it makes me shudder. There are a few dissers on this board that I feel purposely seek some of these threads out to tear a newbie a new one, and are not helpful at all. BUT I must say that the majority here are really helpful and have great advice and just enjoy hanging out wanting to discuss all things Disney :thumbsup2. I am sure one of the current threads I read today referring to asking for a free upgrade will be going South soon. :sad2:

There is a reason that I have been on these boards for 6 years only have 1000 posts. :laughing:

Denise

1,001. ;)

thank you! :D

You know I think I am making it worse by trying to explain why I felt a little bombarded with the original responses to my question. It just didn't feel "welcoming", it felt like "wow you idiot, what a stupid question".

But that's okay, because it turns out it WAS a stupid question, and like I said, I don't have the thickest of skin in the world.

it's really not a big deal, and I've got my answer, and at least 50% of the replies have been really sweet so I'm going to call it a wash and move on and hope that my next post will be much less interesting. :upsidedow

There are no stupid questions and I can pretty much guarantee you nearly everybody on here at one point or another posted a 'stupid' as some call it question and the daggers came out in some way or another... :laughing: Just don't let it get you down -- there's always nay-sayers but overall we're a good group. :thumbsup2 :hug:

From another Poster here ....
"The Tag Fairy is a wonderful whimsical person that travels the DISboards looking for comments made by posters and then places those comments under your user name to embarrass and remind you of your travels through DISboard land. "

I swear, one of these days I'm going to open a post about gay Brazilian cheerleaders who cut in line for a waterslide while pool hopping and drinking out of last year's refillable mugs, meanwhile skipping their triple-booked ADR's. :lmao:

But I know how you feel because I was accused of being a troll not long ago because I made the mistake of...drumroll please....not liking CBR. Gawd forbid! I think I was even turned into the moderators.

Pinkpony, and I was a troll because I LIKE THE CSR TOO MUCH and was accused of having duplicated names.

OP, there are some really nice people on here. I'd just forget this whole thread and move on. You'll be fine.

The problem with this question is that everyone should accept that not everyone knows the policy; therefore they ask questions just as the OP did. Number of posts should not play into any response.

State the policy: that Disney has about no pool hopping and then move on. The problems begin when others not the OP, try to argue that the rules either do not exist or can be ignored.

While Disney actively enforces the policy at some pools, not so much at others, it is a written on a sign at every pool meaning Disney does care.

So in truth, asking the hot question is not the problem, others thinking they are above policy is the problem.

OP enjoy your trip.

I should have searched old posts before I posted, I'm sorry. I thought looking thru FAQs is enough. Maybe something could be added to the Resorts FAQ thread since this is apparently such a sparkler.

This thread should be closed if it's going to get people upset, I don't want that.

I just didn't search because it's so slow and I'm trying to get a lot done at once, but now I know...

LOL....I did the same thing not knowing it was a "hot topic". I remembered being able to do it in the early 90's as a teenager. But Im glad I did ask.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter