Pool & Beach Chairs - how bad is it?

I think PP might argue that it's more like making a CRT ressie or A&E FP for every single day of your trip, so you can decide later which day you really want, while others get none. Personally, though, if I could swing $850 a day, I'd just use them every day. I couldn't possibly spend that, though, so I won't be booking any--so you're not keeping them from me! LOL

Well I would never do that. We reserved them because there's 18 of us and we INTEND to use them every day. But plans change and the ability to cancel the day before is a nice option, especially for those who have never been to the resort. And when you're bringing a large group you never know what everyone else's plans are that day. My husband and kids and I may fully intend on being by the pool every day - but we can't forever everyone else to be. So we may get there and realize we only need one, in which case we will cancel so someone else can reserve it.

Well I would never do that. We reserved them because there's 18 of us and we INTEND to use them every day. But plans change and the ability to cancel the day before is a nice option, especially for those who have never been to the resort. And when you're bringing a large group you never know what everyone else's plans are that day. My husband and kids and I may fully intend on being by the pool every day - but we can't forever everyone else to be. So we may get there and realize we only need one, in which case we will cancel so someone else can reserve it.
Sounds like the same thing to me--reserve a bunch of times and then cancel the day before. Other people booking at the same window get nothing, and somebody wig just decides day-of may snag it. Again, I'm not judging--I mean, there's no policy against it. I'm just saying that I think it's the same thing.

Sounds like the same thing. People can cancel dining
Sounds like the same thing to me--reserve a bunch of times and then cancel the day before. Other people booking at the same window get nothing, and somebody wig just decides day-of may snag it. Again, I'm not judging--I mean, there's no policy against it. I'm just saying that I think it's the same thing.

Not the same thing. Someone who books the same dining reservation at the same place for every day of a trip KNOWS they aren't using all but one of those reservations. They're just booking up reservations knowing they're aren't using them.

We have every intention of using ours. There's 18 people. We have 4 small kids and 3 teenagers in our group. They're going to want to be at the pool. But depending on where the cabanas are located may also play a factor in whether or not we keep them or whether we keep both. They can't guarantee they will be together and if we can't be together there's no point in having two.

And someone couldn't have booked ours anyway, so we aren't keeping them from anyone. We had our Disney event planner work them into our contract for the event we are having while we are there. So they were going to be held for us until 30 days out regardless.

Last edited:
Not the same thing. Someone who books the same dining reservation at the same place for every day of a trip KNOWS they aren't using all but one of those reservations. They're just booking up reservations knowing they're aren't using them.

We have every intention of using ours. There's 18 people. We have 4 small kids and 3 teenagers in our group. They're going to want to be at the pool. But depending on where the cabanas are located may also play a factor in whether or not we keep them or whether we keep both. They can't guarantee they will be together and if we can't be together there's no point in having two.

And someone couldn't have booked ours anyway, so we aren't keeping them from anyone. We had our Disney event planner work them into our contract for the event we are having while we are there. So they were going to be held for us until 30 days out regardless.
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. Holding them keeps anyone else from booking them, however you say it. And you can decide each day if you want the ones 24 hours from then or not. I think that's the same thing, and again, we agree there's nothing stopping it. We should move this to the throwaway campsite/multiple magic band/refillable mug thread.

I think PP might argue that it's more like making a CRT ressie or A&E FP for every single day of your trip, so you can decide later which day you really want, while others get none. Personally, though, if I could swing $850 a day, I'd just use them every day. I couldn't possibly spend that, though, so I won't be booking any--so you're not keeping them from me! LOL
I agree that people may do that, which I agree isn't right. But if Regan is planning on using them... I think it's totally fair that she books all the days she wants.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. Holding them keeps anyone else from booking them, however you say it. And you can decide each day if you want the ones 24 hours from then or not. I think that's the same thing, and again, we agree there's nothing stopping it. We should move this to the throwaway campsite/multiple magic band/refillable mug thread.

At the end of the day, those cabanas are contracted to me because we are hosting an event at their resort. So I am not keeping them from ANYONE because they aren't available for those people anyway. It's no different than the villas in our group block. Those are held for us until a certain date before our event and we aren't obligated to book them all, just a percentage. How is that different?

But making a reservation for something you have no intention of using is different from booking something you want and the plan changes the last minute.

I'd be ok with them making people pay upfront. That wouldn't be a problem for me at all and if it cuts down on people booking them lots of days without the intention of using them, then that's a good solution. But I think to say there shouldn't be a grace period for people to cancel them is just ridiculous. You can cancel dining reservations and even hotel reservations usually up to 24-48 hours ahead without penalty. Why would the cabanas be held to a higher standard than the rooms themselves?

But I think to say there shouldn't be a grace period for people to cancel them is just ridiculous. You can cancel dining reservations and even hotel reservations usually up to 24-48 hours ahead without penalty. Why would the cabanas be held to a higher standard than the rooms themselves?
Exactly--which is why I never said that.

I'd be ok with them making people pay upfront. That wouldn't be a problem for me at all and if it cuts down on people booking them lots of days without the intention of using them, then that's a good solution. But I think to say there shouldn't be a grace period for people to cancel them is just ridiculous. You can cancel dining reservations and even hotel reservations usually up to 24-48 hours ahead without penalty. Why would the cabanas be held to a higher standard than the rooms themselves?

I don't think anybody has suggested that, so not sure what the argument is about. You initially responded to my post about wishing they'd take payment upfront, as they do at the waterparks, to discourage people from booking cabanas every day when they have no intention of using them. I never suggested that you shouldn't be able to cancel later if your plans change.

Exactly--which is why I never said that.

No but you insinuate that it's some crime to reserve them ahead of time and then cancel it the day before, thus holding it hostage.

Taking payment up front may curb some of the people who truly don't intend to actually keep the cabana for each day. But for those of who really want them, paying up front won't be a problem, but still won't keep us from canceling 24 hours before if our plans change.

No but you insinuate that it's some crime to reserve them ahead of time and then cancel it the day before, thus holding it hostage.
I don't think you're looking at which poster is saying what. Those were not my words.

None of this is directed at Regan117, as I think her reservations are made with reasonable expectations. I don't think cabana cancellations are anywhere near the degree of WDW ADR cancellations. We have had a cabana all but two days in 9 short trips to Aulani and have heard many conversations from neighbors about the possibility of a cancellation and the CMs always said not very likely. We have only cancelled once when we decided to go back to Waikiki the next morning. I asked if that would be a problem because it was not 24 hours in advance. The CM seemed excited to have it for somebody who was interested. I did have one cabana neighbor who sounded fairly high maintenance (were right next to us for multiple trips and a total of 7 days- weird coincidence) that reserved a cabana and casabella for each day. It sounded like she cancelled the one she didn't want the day before each day. I really don't like people making making multiple reservations when intending to only use one or making reservations just in case. I try to keep tables and cabanas in the inventory unless I'm reasonably sure about using them. That being said, these are difficult waters and I just hope people's consciences guide them to do what's right for them and others.

None of this is directed at Regan117, as I think her reservations are made with reasonable expectations. I don't think cabana cancellations are anywhere near the degree of WDW ADR cancellations. We have had a cabana all but two days in 9 short trips to Aulani and have heard many conversations from neighbors about the possibility of a cancellation and the CMs always said not very likely. We have only cancelled once when we decided to go back to Waikiki the next morning. I asked if that would be a problem because it was not 24 hours in advance. The CM seemed excited to have it for somebody who was interested. I did have one cabana neighbor who sounded fairly high maintenance (were right next to us for multiple trips and a total of 7 days- weird coincidence) that reserved a cabana and casabella for each day. It sounded like she cancelled the one she didn't want the day before each day. I really don't like people making making multiple reservations when intending to only use one or making reservations just in case. I try to keep tables and cabanas in the inventory unless I'm reasonably sure about using them. That being said, these are difficult waters and I just hope people's consciences guide them to do what's right for them and others.

I agree with this. If I was hogging them intentionally knowing I wouldn't be using both, that is totally wrong. I'd never do that. We fully intend on using both because our group is so large.

I have reserved a cabana for three of the days (Sunday, Wednesday and Saturday) we are there, which is the same week (April 23-30) as Regan117 by the way and reserved casabellas for Monday and Friday of that week. I left Tuesday and Thursday out because we plan to explore the island on those days. Right now we are planning to use them but I agree with Reagan that plans can change.

I have reserved a cabana for three of the days (Sunday, Wednesday and Saturday) we are there, which is the same week (April 23-30) as Regan117 by the way and reserved casabellas for Monday and Friday of that week. I left Tuesday and Thursday out because we plan to explore the island on those days. Right now we are planning to use them but I agree with Reagan that plans can change.

how do you reserve casabellas in advance? i thought one had to do it the day of.

After reading about how hard it can be to get lounge chairs, I decided to see if a cabana was available for my late August stay. We're only there for 2 nights at the end of our trip. Kinda like the relaxation after all the sightseeing before we had home.
There are 4 adults and 2 teens, so trying to find 6 chairs together could be a challenge. Don't want the stress of trying to find chairs or worry we're to put our things. I know the adults want to relax and the kids will hit the pool or beach.

Called today and was able to book a cabana!
I've been buying Disney gift cards, so will use them to pay for it!
One less things to worry about.
Thanks for all the tips!

how do you reserve casabellas in advance? i thought one had to do it the day of.
Beach casabellas can't be reserved in advance, but there are 2 patios between Ama Ama and the beach that can be reserved. The upper veranda has 2 casabellas, and the lower veranda comes with 3 casabellas. There's also the executive lanai, which has 2 casabellas, 2 lounge chairs, 2 regular chairs and a table.

The ones on the beach are day of. These ones are on the platform areas by ama ama and are only $135 to rent which is well worth the money for not having to fight for chairs

The ones on the beach are day of. These ones are on the platform areas by ama ama and are only $135 to rent which is well worth the money for not having to fight for chairs

Beach casabellas can't be reserved in advance, but there are 2 patios between Ama Ama and the beach that can be reserved. The upper veranda has 2 casabellas, and the lower veranda comes with 3 casabellas. There's also the executive lanai, which has 2 casabellas, 2 lounge chairs, 2 regular chairs and a table.

thank you both. to reserve those special casabellas in advance, do i just give them a call then? or is there a place i can do so online?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter