Pool and beach toys?

Not to sound like Scruge McDuck, but we forked out the money for the sand toys after having the kids beg and beg and beg. We then got to the beach and people proceeded to take them from us while we were there. My little guy would play with one piece at a time and anything he walked away from someone tried to take. We got most of the stuff back. However, when we went to get lunch and I was gathering up our stuff, one of the dad's who had been pilfering our stuff asked my husband (not terribly nicely either) to please leave the stuff behind so his kids could keep playing with it. I turned RED, but hubby said no problem just leave it here for when we get back. And was it? NO when get got back everything was gone. I can't imagine that man didn't know it wasn't on the beach for free. Everyone passed the gift shop with the sand toy displays. I would have been happy to share with the next family coming through but to have it taken away before my kids could even finish playing was a bit much. Next time, we're not buying the toys.

Two summers ago, we bought sand castle carving tools - basically, you build a big pile of sand with cups or anything else you can find and then you carve the castle out of the sand - it's exactly the opposite approach, but you can be really creative - building roads, levels, windows - etc. We took these with us in our suitcase, as they are narrow and don't take up any room! I would recommend bringing these with you to CC and home again. Our DDs played with them for hours, and even built a mini-Magic on the beach. (see the Mickey Pool - that was DD's creativity at work!)

IMG_7148.jpg

I saw some buckets at Michael's craft store the other day. They were orange for halloween but for those leaving soon who can't find them in any other store you might check there.

Did anyone also use these toys at the port beaches?

I figure since I am bringing from home, might as well use them at all the beaches. My kids love just digging in the sand and dancing in the waves. :beach:

Anyone use "brought" sand toys or encounter issues at Cozumel (Paradise Beach) or Grand Cayman (Royal Palms or 7 Mile Beach)?

However, when we went to get lunch and I was gathering up our stuff, one of the dad's who had been pilfering our stuff asked my husband (not terribly nicely either) to please leave the stuff behind so his kids could keep playing with it. I turned RED, but hubby said no problem just leave it here for when we get back. And was it? NO when get got back everything was gone. I can't imagine that man didn't know it wasn't on the beach for free. Everyone passed the gift shop with the sand toy displays. I would have been happy to share with the next family coming through but to have it taken away before my kids could even finish playing was a bit much. Next time, we're not buying the toys.

That is so rude of the man! However, it does bring up a thought - maybe the way to do it is to say 'well, I paid for them with my KTTW card, but if you wants to buy x (t-shirt, etc.) for my kid on your KTTW card, then you're welcome to them'. Either he will agree to the barter system, or say forget it - either way you might come out ok! ;)

I saw some buckets at Michael's craft store the other day. They were orange for halloween but for those leaving soon who can't find them in any other store you might check there.

Thanks! that's a great suggestion. I waited too long and have not been able to find any so now I am thinking I will just improvise. My ds will be 20mos when we go and it's not like he'll care, he'll just be glad to be in the biggest sandbox he's ever seen! :rotfl:

Does anyone know what DCL staff do with discarded beach toys? :confused:[/QUOTE]

Some of the discarded beach toys are taken home by the " help" that comes from the island near Castaway Cay. I saw the boat that does the parasailing leaving before the Magic pulled out and it had a lot sand buckets etc.. stacked in it.

Not to sound like Scruge McDuck, but we forked out the money for the sand toys after having the kids beg and beg and beg. We then got to the beach and people proceeded to take them from us while we were there. My little guy would play with one piece at a time and anything he walked away from someone tried to take. We got most of the stuff back. However, when we went to get lunch and I was gathering up our stuff, one of the dad's who had been pilfering our stuff asked my husband (not terribly nicely either) to please leave the stuff behind so his kids could keep playing with it. I turned RED, but hubby said no problem just leave it here for when we get back. And was it? NO when get got back everything was gone. I can't imagine that man didn't know it wasn't on the beach for free. Everyone passed the gift shop with the sand toy displays. I would have been happy to share with the next family coming through but to have it taken away before my kids could even finish playing was a bit much. Next time, we're not buying the toys.

The man was beyond rude and personally, I would have picked up the sand toys. My DH is a softie and would have said the same thing but I would have just told the man where the toys were for SALE!!!

I always carry a permanent Sharpie and mark my GK's sand toys with their names on it so there is no confusion on who owns the toys.

That is so rude of the man! However, it does bring up a thought - maybe the way to do it is to say 'well, I paid for them with my KTTW card, but if you wants to buy x (t-shirt, etc.) for my kid on your KTTW card, then you're welcome to them'. Either he will agree to the barter system, or say forget it - either way you might come out ok! ;)

Oh I wanted to say something but hubby said no worries, it wasn't worth it. He was being way too nice :-). I'm all about sharing, but for him to demand that we share something we paid for just got my goat.

[Oh I wanted to say something but hubby said no worries, it wasn't worth it. He was being way too nice :-). I'm all about sharing, but for him to demand that we share something we paid for just got my goat.

I agree completely. I think Birkner's suggestion above to mark things with a sharpie is a great idea. I am definitely adding that to my packing list!!!

I think all the toys should be kept in one place for kids to re use, with limite luggage space its difficult to bring along.

For the Panama in 2008 I cannot use perfect gift as we start in LA

Great minds think alike! :idea: I just typed it into my packing list!

Definitely a good idea. One thing I should have brought also, even though this is a tiny bit off topic is a highlighter for the navigator. I read about it everywhere and forgot it. But it is helpful, a CM gave us one to use. The sharpie will also be well worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter