Pooh-sized with a young preschooler

Disney2013Girl

Mouseketeer
Hey everyone! I've been seeing all kinds of posts about how accommodating the ride cars are for guests of size, but we're taking my (almost) three year old in October and I'm concerned. Both my husband and I are (similarly) large-sized and when we were at DL in 2008, we often rode together with little to no problem (TSM, Haunted Mansion, etc) but I'm worried now about how one of us will be able to ride with our son. I have no problem (nor does my husband) about riding solo so that one of us can ride with the little guy, but I'm worried about how bars/belts will fit such drastically different sizes. Most of the 40"+ rides we've ridden in the past at DL and have no pressing desire to ride again, but I'm thinking to rides like Dumbo, etc.

My son hasn't really been on many rides and I have zero idea on how he'd do if he was forced to sit by himself on a ride.

Thanks for your help!

Hey everyone! I've been seeing all kinds of posts about how accommodating the ride cars are for guests of size, but we're taking my (almost) three year old in October and I'm concerned. Both my husband and I are (similarly) large-sized and when we were at DL in 2008, we often rode together with little to no problem (TSM, Haunted Mansion, etc) but I'm worried now about how one of us will be able to ride with our son. I have no problem (nor does my husband) about riding solo so that one of us can ride with the little guy, but I'm worried about how bars/belts will fit such drastically different sizes. Most of the 40"+ rides we've ridden in the past at DL and have no pressing desire to ride again, but I'm thinking to rides like Dumbo, etc.

My son hasn't really been on many rides and I have zero idea on how he'd do if he was forced to sit by himself on a ride.

Thanks for your help!
An almost 3 yr old is going to need to be seated with you or your husband (or someone over 14 yrs old).

The restraints on rides like Haunted Mansion are more to keep guests from climbing out than to hold them securely in place. Toy Story Mania has individual restraints that pull down so that each person has the ride shooter where they can reach it.

I can tell you that Dumbo will not fit your group of 3 people. I went on a few years ago with my adult niece and her daughter, who was about 8 at the time. The cast Member asked us if we needed one Dumbo or 2. He said we would fit in one - none of us were Pooh size, so we thougt he knew what he was doing and took one Dumbo. We ended up with niece and I sitting and her daughter sitting sort of on both of our laps. The seat belt still fit somehow, but you don't move that much and it's more to keep guests from standing up.

allearsnet.com has an attraction ride car page that shows the seat size for a lot of ride cars. That might be helpful to you.
http://allears.net/tp/gal_ride.htm

An almost 3 yr old is going to need to be seated with you or your husband (or someone over 14 yrs old).

The restraints on rides like Haunted Mansion are more to keep guests from climbing out than to hold them securely in place. Toy Story Mania has individual restraints that pull down so that each person has the ride shooter where they can reach it.

I can tell you that Dumbo will not fit your group of 3 people. I went on a few years ago with my adult niece and her daughter, who was about 8 at the time. The cast Member asked us if we needed one Dumbo or 2. He said we would fit in one - none of us were Pooh size, so we thougt he knew what he was doing and took one Dumbo. We ended up with niece and I sitting and her daughter sitting sort of on both of our laps. The seat belt still fit somehow, but you don't move that much and it's more to keep guests from standing up.

allearsnet.com has an attraction ride car page that shows the seat size for a lot of ride cars. That might be helpful to you.
I figured as much, but you never know, eh?

I knew there were a lot we were "safe" on concerning the way the belts/bars worked (HM, IASW, etc) because they are all slow-moving rides, but I kept trying to think back over all the rides we rode at DL.

Thanks for the link! I know H was pleasantly surprised that he had little to no problems riding whatever he wanted at DL (as was I) but I know I was/am worried about keeping little Dude safe when we're riding rides together.

we are two pooh sized adults with a child. so we just always plan on one of us with her and the other alone, but it isn't bad at all. we are always next to each other. on rides like snow white or peter pan, when being put in a car, we tell cm 1 and 2. this way they put one of us separate rather than try to put us all together when we wont fit. we have had rarely any problems, but maybe twice I have actually walked away from a ride cause they tried to squeeze us in and after other two got in, I would no way fit. it was very embarrassing and I felt crappy. once on the great movie ride, who would have thought that would have been a problem with those giant bench seats. but she told the three of us to squeeze in on an already occupied row. I took one look and realized this just wouldn't work, especially since the last row had no one in it! I was aliitle annoyed. but as I was walking away she ended up putting three of us in last row. just wish she would have done that right away rather than having to feel like that.

At 3 years old your little guy will not be going on the faster "coaster" type rides probably anyways... I think you will be fine!!!

When my kids were your son's age, one of them would ride with my DH (Pooh sized) and one would ride with me... there was never a problem. Peter Pan, Pooh, Dumbo, Aladdin, etc.... all were fine. The bar would lower on my husband's lap, and my son's lap would be a good 12"-15" lower, but like a previous poster mentioned, it's more to keep someone from climbing out as opposed to keeping them immobile in the seat.

Now, when he gets older and wants to share a seat on Big Thunder Mtn RR, that may be a different story. My son would literally "jump" in the car seated next to my DH because the lap bar difference was so great. Just keep in mind though, the cast members are there to keep everyone safe, if they didn't think it was OK, they wouldn't allow it.

Have a great time, try not to worry, you all will be fine!!

We were just htere in march with our neices and nephews.

I am pooh sized and I rode BTMRR with my 4 yr old tiny niece. The lapbar did not reach her when she was seated with her back against the seat. She just slid forward to hold onto the lapbar and I put one arm around her. She was fine. Had I not had the arm around her she would of have a hard time not sliding around, but I was able to keep her in place without much trouble and she loved the extra "flight" room.

Keep in mind that if the ride has a retractable seatbelt, you should pull it all the way out and then buckle it. Also check out allears.net they have a section called "At Large" which is great for us Poohs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter