Ponchos

JEL394

Earning My Ears
Do I need to buy some before we go, or are they easy (and cheap) to purchase in the parks? Do they sell sizes for very young kids? With all the hurricanes and storms going on right now, I feel like I need to be prepared for more than a quick afternoon shower, just in case!

I don't normally mess with ponchos. Rain in Florida is normally just 20 or 30 minute showers. However, like you with rain being forcasted for every day next week, I ran by the dollar store a few days ago and picked up some of their two for $1.00 ponchos. They were right by the door as you enter the store. When I got home, I took them out of the pkgs and put them in individual quart zip lock bags squeezing all the air out, so they take up almost no room in my suitcase.

I also saw some at Wal Marts next to the umbrellas beside the dressing rooms and then saw some more back in sporting goods. Theirs were $1.00 each. Back in the sporting goods section they also had some better thicker yellow ones that were like $4.99.

Do I need to buy some before we go, or are they easy (and cheap) to purchase in the parks? Do they sell sizes for very young kids? With all the hurricanes and storms going on right now, I feel like I need to be prepared for more than a quick afternoon shower, just in case!

easy not cheap :) it's worth it to pack one with you.. hit up the dollar store and you should be set.

I wouldn't take them with you, not worth the hassle. If you need them they are easy enough to buy, they come in all sizes.

Maybe I'm just a cheap you-know-what, but we always take ponchos with us. You can get them extremely cheap at the dollar store/walmart before you go in little pouches. Just leave them in the pouches in your park bag (they take up NO room) until it starts raining (and generally it will) and you're set to go! Much nicer than umbrellas for the park (and useful on water rides like Kali and Splash too--I might feel like a dork going in, but it's nicer than walking around wet all day!). In the park they have cute yellow ponchos with Mickey Mouse on them, which we bought the first year, but they are more expensive (especially if you have a big party).

We brought the cheap dollar store ones for the adults and nicer ones for the kid.. the adult ones ripped on day 1.. the kids went strong for 11 more day!

Day 2 we bought our Disney ones.. I didn't find the $8/9 bucks for them that big a deal especially because it rained, poured, stormed just about every day we were there. ( and not for 10 minutes.. for much longer)

In the park they have cute yellow ponchos with Mickey Mouse on them, which we bought the first year, but they are more expensive (especially if you have a big party).

From reading the DIS, I've heard that they might not be "cheap cheap" (although relative to other things at WDW they are still cheap), they are better quality than dollar store ones (heavier plastic) and Disney will replace it free of charge if it gets any rips.

They run about $8 in the parks and they do have child sizes.

I don't recommend bringing them unless you are crazy strapped for cash. The park ones are thicker than the ones from the dollar store. The dollar store ones are thin like a garbage bag. Both protect from the wetness the same, but those thin ones ge blown up really easy in any kind of wind. Last time we used them, they kept flying up in our face so we got wet.

I ended up buying the ones from the park and now I bring those every time I go (we have seasonal passes). Yeah they are a bit more but they have Mickey on them and they don't blow around as much. ;)

And if you are coming anytime soon, you will likely need them, lol. I like when it rains though. It cools you down.

I bought the heavy-duty ones from Target (about $9), but they come in a reusable carrying case and don't take much room up in your bag. In my opinion, its better to buy the good ones that will last you year after year than buying cheap ones that you will have to throw away due to ripping after 1 use. That being said, when I went to Disney on vacation in May for 8 days the 10-day forecast predicted rain everyday and it did not rain once, not even for a minute. However, I did go for a weekend about two weeks ago and one day at Epcot it started pouring really bad for about an hour. We were able to whip out our ponchos and ride mission space with literally NO wait, my boyfriend and I got to ride alone (usually seats 4) because no one was willing to walk to the ride! I love when it rains because then people just wait in the stores or restaurants until it stops! It's a good way to beat the lines ;)

My Disney trunk has a huge supply of the dollar ponchos. I prefer them to the actual Disney ones just based on size. I can carry the disposable ones easily, then after I use it, I get a small bag from a shop, and put the wet poncho in it and loop it over my belt.
I have been able to use the same one for a few days, before tossing it out.
Any time I am in WDW, from April to Oct, I have a poncho with me. The one time I didn't....the thunder/rain storm was simply unbelievable. Won't ever make that mistake again.

I buy the 2/$1 ponchos and bring my little guys raincoat. He's only 3, and it doesnt take up much room. I usually bring along a small umbrella too. It came in handy when we were just walking from our room to the food court.

I would rather buy the cheap ones from the dollar store and throw them out when I'm done than try and carry around the bigger/thicker ones. We have the bigger/thicker ones (they cost $9 each) but they are MUCH bigger, don't fit in our fanny pack and after it quits raining, they're a BIG PAIN to try and fold back up all wet and stuff back into their bag. They never go back in right and the little bag they come with is even bigger (not flat anymore like when they were new). The 50 cent ones are so thin I can fit several in my fanny pack and then I don't care about throwing them away when it quits raining. Folding up a big wet poncho is NO fun. And carrying around big, bulging pouches all day is no fun either.

I also buy 2 for $1 ponchos for quick use (afternoon thunderstorm) and after a day or two, I throw it out. But I also pack our rainjackets for all day rain. Thankfully, I never had rain all day long so they stay in our suitcase.

The best relatively cheap ponchos we have found are at Publix and cost around $4 each. They come with a mesh carrying bag and are pretty decent quality for being so cheap.

Well this conversation has not helped me at all. lol I still don't know what to do. Ha

Well this conversation has not helped me at all. lol I still don't know what to do. Ha

Try this thread from yesterday for opinions on the same thing.

We have had ours (Disney ponchos) since 2004 and have well gotten our money out of them (even though ours adult ones were free as part of NOJ). I figured out a few weeks ago on one of these threads just counting our Disney trips (and we use them at home for ballgames, races, etc) we would have spent over $80 on ponchos for our family of 4 (just got the 4 in 2008, 2 before that) in that time. The Disney ponchos are well made they don't blow around in the wind like those disposable ones and Disney will replace them if they rip or tear up for free.

:lmao:

Guess it depends on which you want...

1. Sturdier, holds steady, possible souvenier, but have to carry with you all day

2. Small, can be tossed away, but might blow up or tear easy

Well, I know I won't want to carry it around all day. Are they really that much of a pain to fold back up and put away as PP stated?

they aren't./.if you already have a bag simply fold and roll.. I carried my 3 young kids and 3 adult ones..not a big deal! hang in the room overnight to dry then pop em back in your bag..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter