• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ponchos

JenNel85

Mouseketeer
Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice on ponchos. Probably a silly topic, but here it goes!

We're headed to WDW/Universal for a two-week vacation in about 10 days weeks :cool1:, and I know we'll be dealing not only with extreme heat, but also potential downpours every afternoon.

I absolutely refuse to spend upwards of $7 on a plastic poncho in the parks, so I've picked up one for each of us (3 adults) at the dollar store. My question is: do most of you go through more than one poncho during your trip?

Do you find it to be a hassle to fold them up when the rain stops? Would you advise buying more than one each and tossing them, instead? What do you do?

THANKS!

Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice on ponchos. Probably a silly topic, but here it goes!

We're headed to WDW/Universal for a two-week vacation in about 10 days weeks :cool1:, and I know we'll be dealing not only with extreme heat, but also potential downpours every afternoon.

I absolutely refuse to spend upwards of $7 on a plastic poncho in the parks, so I've picked up one for each of us (3 adults) at the dollar store. My question is: do most of you go through more than one poncho during your trip?

Do you find it to be a hassle to fold them up when the rain stops? Would you advise buying more than one each and tossing them, instead? What do you do?

THANKS!

In the past we bought the 2/$1 ponchos at the Dollar Tree and took a bunch with us. After the shower we took them off and threw them in the trash.

Last trip we were in the process of moving right before we left and just ran out of time, so we went without ponchos. Of course we got caught in the rain and had to buy the WDW ones, which killed my soul a little bit. But now that we have them we'll probably take them with us from now on because they do a better job than the Dollar Tree ones, which are little more than big pieces of saran wrap.

I buy a bunch and throw them out after the downpour. There's nothing more depressing than walking around with a wet piece of plastic.

If you're bringing a stroller, get an extra one to cover that.

If you're using dollar store ponchos, definitely buy enough so they can be tossed after you use them. You could bring ziploc baggies to stuff them back into, but they are so flimsy it's really not worth it. I didn't bring one per person per day because we didn't use them every day, but bring several per person.

If you want to re-use them, go to Target and get some heavier weight ponchos, which can be found in the camping section. You will have to hang these to dry every night, though, since they get mildewy if left wet.

I figure we spend more on the throwaway cheapies since, like a PP said, they are as thin as Saran wrap. We are taking our Disney ponchos Sunday and they were purchased 2 trips ago...They are kind of a pain to fold up, but they are pretty good quality...or maybe we're just not too hard on them. :)

Take the cheap ponchos. They are small enough when packed to fit in a back pocket or a purse, and they are disposable. My family usually has 2 per person per trip. We reuse them a little if we don't tear them, but they are better than spending $7 a poncho.

You know, honestly I rather use an umbrella than a poncho! We ARE bringing a couple next trip, however- I just make sure I have a big zip lock bag that I can put the wet stuff in to carry around when inside (don't want to be getting all of my stuff wet!)

Thanks for the tips, everyone! You've convinced me. I'll go grab a couple extra ponchos, just in case we need 'em. Ziploc bags, too!

The cheap-o's I'd just throw away after using them. But we have the disney parks one's and have since 2004. Since we got them for free at a NOJ event I'd say we got our money's out of them. :) But we had to buy DD and DS some last trip and they were still worth the $. We use them at home at sporting events and other amusement parks along with our Disney trips. They are sturdy and don't flap around in the wind and definately are meant to last for a while.

We used the cheapie ponchos a couple of years ago and were miserable. So, we bought nice rain jackets for all three of us and just stick them in the backpack. I got mine at the Emporium on Main Street...it's a red half zip, hooded pullover, and it is wonderful. I bought my son's from the Disney Store, and it's a full zip Wall-E. My husband's is from his duck hunting days. All three fold up nicely and don't take up much room. I'd rather have those than have those cheap ponchos sticking to me!

I used to get the dollar store ones. It felt like I was wearing a dry cleaning bag. The best investment was the Disney ponchos. A whole lot sturdier and can be used year to year.

Am I the only one who CANNOT do ponchos? I don't know why but they get so hot and humid in there like a sauna!!!!

I just cannot do it! We have gotten pretty good at slipping insde somewhere til the shower passes over.

Am I crazy?:confused3

I just bought ponchos at Target for our Sept. trip. I plan to take a plastic bag to put them after we use them so that our stuff won't get wet.

We bought a couple of the dollar store ones to cover our double stroller just incase but they were way to cheap for us to wear, they ripped like paper! We got some reuseable ones at Walmart for $3.88 each and worked much better. We bought new ones for this year to use again

we've had the same Disney Ponchos for the last three trips. My step son finally grew out of his children's poncho and we bought him an adult size last trip. It seemed to be made of a different plastic than our older ones. His new one ripped inside of an hour. I don't know if they are as durable as they used to be. On the plus side it was replaced for free!

My husband actually ended up buying a "Dri Ducks" poncho. He's just so tall that the Disney ponchos do him no good. His shorts get soaked when we are caught in the rain. So he got a real poncho. We were both surprised at how much more comfortable the Dri Ducks poncho was. The whole "sauna" effect was non existent in his Dri Ducks. Of course it makes sense as they are made for hunters and campers and such. He was so much more comfortable though. We ended up getting one for me for this year. I also do NOT like the Sauna effect. It's just yuck!!

We always carry a shammie towel with us. After the rains have ceased we take a few minutes and soak up all the water on the ponchos and then we fold up them up nice and tight and into a ziplock bag they go. It's become our "rain ritual" for Disney. It works...and my husband is fairly OCD so it gives him a sense of inner peace to clean and organize and fold things...:lmao:

We also use the cheap, disposable ponchos. However, on a HOT rainy day they are just too hot to wear. I would offer one word of caution; we bought nice yellow ponchos when the kids were little and the first time they wore them and got ahead of us in the parks, they blended in with 1000 other yellow ponchos. Always get the transparent models.

we tried the 2/$1.00 kind from dollar stores and those were worthless--couldn't hardly get them out of the bag without ripping them - they were the flimsiest piece of film I'd ever seen.

However, went to the camping department at Walmart, and found some for about 89cents...these worked great. We take 2-3 per person, but most trips we just reuse the same ones...over the last couple of years we've become pros at whipping them off, shaking off excess water, and rolling/folding them up tight & popping back into the little bag again very quickly -- we can all get de-ponchoed & ready to go in about 1 minute. The Walmart ponchos last through multiple wearings.

We do have the heavier kind in the car, but honestly, it's usually just too hot to lug those things around--the cheapies will easily fit in your back pocket and are very light weight. We've worn the Walmart ponchos even in "monsoon" style rain...last May it rained hard for about 6 hours straight while we were at Epcot -- standing water in many places over the ankles -- the cheapies worked for that, too. If the wind is extremely strong you might have problems, but if it's really blowing, any poncho will blow around & you'll get wet. And umbrellas will get destroyed.

I agree with the PP about spending the extra for the Disney poncho. I think of mine as a souvenir and I think they are much sturdier than the cheap ponchos.

I somehow lost mine and will be purchasing a new one on my next trip. I bring a bunch of ziploc baggies with me and just fold it into the baggie after each use, so it stuffs very nicely into my little purse.

Am I the only one who CANNOT do ponchos? I don't know why but they get so hot and humid in there like a sauna!!!!

I just cannot do it! We have gotten pretty good at slipping insde somewhere til the shower passes over.

Am I crazy?:confused3

No way. The ponchos are the worst invention ever...except for covering a stroller maybe in a bind. Buy waterproof, BREATHABLE jackets. They fold up into themselves as small as a quart size bag and you will use them for school, rainy days at home, windbreakers, whatever. They actually serve as a light jacket in the spring and fall. You can even layer them over a fleece when it's cool and wet.
LL Bean, lands end, campmor and any outdoor/sporting goods store has them. Just say no to wearing a garbage bag.

We always bring our Disney ones and have used them Again and Again, especially for days we are certain it will rain. We always bring extra $1 ones to cover the strollers or on days when you REALLY do NOT know we bring $1 ones just in case. In saying that $7 Once or $7 Seven Times?

P.S. My son has sensory issues and CANNOT STAND waterproof material of any kind. SIGH. But he'll wear ponchos? Go figure?!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter