Polynesian vs. CR

CtinaDitty

Disney Fanatic
Alrighty, I'm new to these boards so I haven't quite figured out all of the acronyms yet, but I believe CR stands for Contemporary Resort.

Anyway, my FI and I have decided we are going to WDW for our honeymoon! Well, more I just kept talking about it and he caved. :thumbsup2 So, now I have been looking at the Deluxe Resorts. I have been to WDW too many times I've lost count but he has only been twice. Both were with me, and only one was on property. We are definitely staying on property for our Honeymoon and every trip after. Let me tell you, it is SO much better. So, the two resorts I've narrowed it down to are the Polynesian and the CR.

What are your opinions on those two resorts and how do they compare to each other? I understand we can get a theme park view at both resorts and both have monorail access. But, what are the other differences and which do you believe is better?

Thank you!! :goodvibes

For a honeymoon, I would DEFINITELY pick the Poly -- much more romantic.

We have stayed at both and prefer the Poly 100 times over the CR. We've had friendlier staff at the Poly; we like the rooms better, the theme, the food, watching Wishes from the beach, the tiki torches, the pool. Although are stays at CR were not overly bad, our experiences at Poly were just 100 times better.

Congratulations on your Disneymoon. :)

I agree with the previous poster. Although I think the CR's rooms are more modern looking and to my personal taste, the Poly rooms look very spacious. But the grounds of the Poly are so romantic, especially at night when all of the tiki torches are lit. Nothing better than watching/hearing Wishes from a hammock or swing on the beach at the Poly. Congrats on your upcoming marriage!

Aw, thank you very much! Your reviews were great! The thing I like the best about the Poly is the tropical getaway feel. It looks as if you have gone to another world (at least from pictures away). I've ridden the monorail through the contemporary and it also looks amazing. I mean... what isn't amazing at WDW?! :)

I definitely want romance so if the Poly is more romantic, then it's looking like the better choice!

That's an easy choice. I agree with the PP, for a honeymoon, the Poly is best. CR has more of a giant hotel feel - lots of noise and more of a rushed atmosphere. The Poly has lush grounds and just a much more relaxed feeling. The only negatives I'd say about the Poly when compared with the CR is that some find the rooms a bit dreary and dark, and the CR has the better view of the MK because you are closer and can be higher up.

Thanks so much for the information! I'm so glad I found these boards, seriously. I think we'd prefer the Poly just from the reviews you three gave. Ah, so exciting! I just wish it would come sooner! AH! :bride:

I would go with the Contemporary because their rooms are among the biggest of the Deluxe Resorts and it's great having the walkway to the Magic Kingdom. Besides that two things the Polynesian doesn't offer is a health club to work out at and a hot tub by their pool, however the Contemporary has those things available. Plus if you were to stay in a Tower room they all come with balconies. At the Polynesian balconies are only available on their 3rd floor rooms and that's something you need to request.

Finally someone for the CR! :laughing:

I'm not going to be worrying about working out on my honeymoon. I'm going to be doing enough working out prior that I think walking around WDW is workout enough! :) But, I'm glad to finally get a reply from a CR fan!

I was wondering when you were going to show up :)

I was thinking the same thing. :rotfl:

My vote is for CR as well. I am staying there in 25 days and I can't wait! I have not stayed at either, but CR looks nicer to me and I like having the monorail right there in the middle of the resort. It's so convenient!

Honestly, I would go with a Tower Room at the Contemporary. I stayed at both the Polynesian and the Contemporary in January, and there is really no comparison.

The beds at the Contemporary are MUCH more comfortable, the view from the Theme Park View Rooms at the Contemporary is better than at the Poly, the Contemporary is MUCH cleaner, and I found the Cast Members at the Contemporary to be much more helpful and efficient. In addition, you can leisurely stroll "home" after a visit to the Magic Kingdom, and you do not have to go to a separate building to get to dining, etc.

At the Polynesian the carpet was disgusting, the beds were awful, the fridge started smoking during our stay (and according to the maintenance Cast Member this is a regular occurrence), and the person checking us in was EXTREMELY slow (and this was the online check-in line). Unless you are staying Theme Park View Club Level at the Poly, definitely stick with the Contemporary.

Just take a trip over to the Poly during your stay to take a stroll through the tiki torches!

Congratulations, and enjoy your honeymoon!! :)

Just returned from a week at the Poly and had a wonderful time. :thumbsup2 The whole resort is just magical. Our room was spotless and we had amazing mousekeeping! The view cannot be beat as I like to see the castle rising up over the horizon as opposed to behind a parking lot. The fireworks are framed so beautifully behind the castle from the Poly beach. We love the Contemporary - it is very cool - but it is just not appealing for us to stay there for our trip - too hotel "ish" and not enough resort "ish". Now don't get me wrong - it has a monorail running through it for pete's sake - it is a very cool place and we love to visit there, we just don't get that same ahhhh feeling like we do when we arrive to the Poly, hear the hawaiian music playing, sit in a hammock to watch the fireworks, ride a lovely boat ride over to the MK in the evening, stroll the grounds with the tiki torches at night, walk to the Epcot monorail....:cloud9: :love: :cloud9:

Good luck with your decision! :goodvibes

Sara

I would go with the Contemporary because their rooms are among the biggest of the Deluxe Resorts and it's great having the walkway to the Magic Kingdom. Besides that two things the Polynesian doesn't offer is a health club to work out at and a hot tub by their pool, however the Contemporary has those things available. Plus if you were to stay in a Tower room they all come with balconies. At the Polynesian balconies are only available on their 3rd floor rooms and that's something you need to request.

Actually you do have access to the health club between the the gf and the poly. I worked out there everyday while staying at the poly. The hot tub is the one thing missing. You can request a balcony. I'm sure for a honeymoon they would try really hard to accomodate you.

Ah, both places sound great! I guess I might have to let my FI choose. I guess he has to have a say in something! :laughing:

I can see how both places are wonderful. I wish I could just visit both places and see which one I vibed better with... But, alas... I cannot! :sad2:

I saw some pictures of the view from a room at the CR on another thread and they were amazing! Does anyone have any pictures of the view from the Poly? You see... I luuurve the fireworks! I cry every time I see them... Kid you not! :lovestruc

Honestly, I would go with a Tower Room at the Contemporary. I stayed at both the Polynesian and the Contemporary in January, and there is really no comparison.

The beds at the Contemporary are MUCH more comfortable, the view from the Theme Park View Rooms at the Contemporary is better than at the Poly, the Contemporary is MUCH cleaner, and I found the Cast Members at the Contemporary to be much more helpful and efficient. In addition, you can leisurely stroll "home" after a visit to the Magic Kingdom, and you do not have to go to a separate building to get to dining, etc.

At the Polynesian the carpet was disgusting, the beds were awful, the fridge started smoking during our stay (and according to the maintenance Cast Member this is a regular occurrence), and the person checking us in was EXTREMELY slow (and this was the online check-in line). Unless you are staying Theme Park View Club Level at the Poly, definitely stick with the Contemporary.

Just take a trip over to the Poly during your stay to take a stroll through the tiki torches!

Congratulations, and enjoy your honeymoon!! :)

Ditto to this..

POLY POLY POLY!

We love the Poly! Cannot stand the CR, it is not a Disney feeling hotel at all..so what the monorail runs through the noisy atrium by Chef Mickeys...that doesnt make me feel Disney enough.

The Poly has the most gorgeous grounds, killer views from the beach, great food, excellent staff, hammocks on the beach, the rooms are very dark and romantic and the tropical music playing all the time is awesome!

DH and I have been there about 7 times, once with our nieces and the rest just as a couple and it is great...there are kids of course but they didnt bother us at all...we felt like honeymooners!

Our one stay at the CR was a bummer, had a great price so we had to grab it but there were way too many conventioners there and of course a few proms since it was in May. Very crowded and noisy...much more so than the Poly

Actually you do have access to the health club between the the gf and the poly. I worked out there everyday while staying at the poly. The hot tub is the one thing missing. You can request a balcony. I'm sure for a honeymoon they would try really hard to accomodate you.
Well since the Polynesian is a Deluxe Resort they should have their own health club and not tell their guests to use the one at the Grand Floridian if they want to work out. All the other Deluxe Resorts have them and Coronado Springs which is a Moderate Resort has a health club, so it doesn't make sense that the Polynesian can't have one.

I really don't mind if the resorts do not have a workout facility. Like I said, I'll be walking a million miles at the parks all day! :)

Well since the Polynesian is a Deluxe Resort they should have their own health club and not tell their guests to use the one at the Grand Floridian if they want to work out. All the other Deluxe Resorts have them and Coronado Springs which is a Moderate Resort has a health club, so it doesn't make sense that the Polynesian can't have one.

Maybe, but its really a short walk to the gf health club, and its not in the gf its seperate. I mean your going to work out anyway whats a short walk. I just jogged down there and considered it part of my workout. Its a really nice trail by the beach. Walking from the poly to the gf was one of my favorite parts of our trip especially after a nice dinner at Citricos or Narcoosses. Very romantic walk in my opinion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter