Polynesian studio Lake View - NOT!

moreisgood

Falling in love
I just returned from a couple of nights a the Poly in a Lake View studio. I requested a high floor, and I got first floor in Moorea, where I had a lovely view of....the bungalows. I told the front desk that I booked a lake view so I could see the lake. I was told that the shallow water in front of the bungalows was "the lake". I disagree.

I spoke to people who had the room right above us, and they could see over the bungalows, to the lake, and even the castle, and the lights on Main Street. One night, when the fireworks were delayed, they gave me a blow by blow of the activity on Main Street, while I stood on the grass, unable to tell what was going on.

IMO, the first floor rooms are not lake view, and should not be categorized as such. It reminds me of BLT - when the lower floors used to be sold as theme park view, when they were primarily just views of the parking lot.

When it come to views that command higher prices, Disney stretches it a bit. Once while staying at WL, 2 CM's came to our door and asked if they could go to our balcony. They stepped outside looked to the right made some notes and started to leave. I asked what was going on. They told me that our room was being re-classified as a lake view room because they could see the lake in the distance.

At Kidani we had savanna view room that was a view of the deck behind the pool. I got so upset that I went to the front desk to complain. Their comment was that everyone complains about those rooms but they were booked and couldn't move us. I couldn't understand why if everyone complained, weren't the rooms re-classified. I asked to speak to a manager, none were available so I left my cell phone number for a follow up call. I was called later that day, I explained my issue and I invited the manager to come to our room to experience the view first hand. The GM for the resorts showed up, she was very nice, checked out the view, told her people a couple of things, explained that the views were a DVC thing, and left. The next day we were moved to a true savanna view room and room service brought us a tray of zebra domes.

I followed up with DVC when we got home and they said that the room views were a resort issue not a DVC issue. Several months later the rooms were re-classified as standard view.

:earsboy: Bill

Sorry for your experience. There have been many, many conversations on the PVB room views (just like BLT and AK as mentioned in this thread).
Almost everyone agrees that the majority of PVB first floor should be reclassified to be equivalent points as the standard views.

Most also think the PVB Pago Pago rooms facing the parking lot should have their points lowered. Many BLT standard view have better views than those Pago Pago parking lot view rooms.
From what I understand, prior to DVC, the Pago Pago (previously called Rapa Nui) parking lot view rooms were so unpopular that the hotel used to fill those rooms last.

OP, please make sure to contact member satisfaction to voice your opinion. Disney has no reason to change unless people let them know about any problems. We try to also let member satisfaction know about positives. Great employees and great decisions deserve to be rewarded.

Sorry for your experience. There have been many, many conversations on the PVB room views (just like BLT and AK as mentioned in this thread).
Almost everyone agrees that the majority of PVB first floor should be reclassified to be equivalent points as the standard views.

Most also think the PVB Pago Pago rooms facing the parking lot should have their points lowered. Many BLT standard view have better views than those Pago Pago parking lot view rooms.
From what I understand, prior to DVC, the Pago Pago (previously called Rapa Nui) parking lot view rooms were so unpopular that the hotel used to fill those rooms last.

OP, please make sure to contact member satisfaction to voice your opinion. Disney has no reason to change unless people let them know about any problems. We try to also let member satisfaction know about positives. Great employees and great decisions deserve to be rewarded.

How would DVC go about reclassifying these rooms? If they lower the point amounts for these rooms, don't they have to raise them somewhere else?

How would DVC go about reclassifying these rooms? If they lower the point amounts for these rooms, don't they have to raise them somewhere else?
Yes, unless it's done prior to declaration like BWV standard view, those points have to go somewhere. Create a higher MK view category for the current, good 2nd floor lake views?

I am surprised the OP couldn't see the lake between the bungalows. We were in one of the 1st floor ones for a tour and could even see the castle from inside the room. It was not a perfect lake view, but that is the way hotel industry works, if you can see a little it labeled in that category.

DSC_1165_zpstsryor2w.jpg

Yes, unless it's done prior to declaration like BWV standard view, those points have to go somewhere. Create a higher MK view category for the current, good 2nd floor lake views?

What did they do when they reclassified some AKV rooms as standard? Did they classify new Savannah rooms to offset or did they adjust elsewhere? I don't remember an AKV point reallocation.

What did they do when they reclassified some AKV rooms as standard? Did they classify new Savannah rooms to offset or did they adjust elsewhere? I don't remember an AKV point reallocation.

That is the same time they changed the points charts and raised points for some of the seasons for the savannas rooms. At the same time they also reclassified a couple of GVs to standard view and did the same thing there where the remaining savanna view GVs absorbed the extra points for certain seasons.

That is the same time they changed the points charts and raised points for some of the seasons for the savannas rooms. At the same time they also reclassified a couple of GVs to standard view and did the same thing there where the remaining savanna view GVs absorbed the extra points for certain seasons.

Ah, thanks!

So when Disney reclassifies a resort who do they report this to ? The Condo Assoc? How is it proven ?

So when Disney reclassifys a resort who do they report this to ? The Condo Assoc? How is it proven ?

Disney tells us as little as possible and when they do it's their idea, they admit no wrong and they do it because they love us.
We may hear about it, we may just see a point change in the point charts, we trust them to do what's correct.

I am surprised the OP couldn't see the lake between the bungalows. We were in one of the 1st floor ones for a tour and could even see the castle from inside the room. It was not a perfect lake view, but that is the way hotel industry works, if you can see a little it labeled in that category.

DSC_1165_zpstsryor2w.jpg

I would agree that this is a lake view. I wouldn't be happy with it but technically yes it is still a lake view.

Once you request a room with online check in - how accurate is it when you get to your room? It looks like online check in doesn't work most of the time then...

Once you request a room with online check in - how accurate is it when you get to your room? It looks like online check in doesn't work most of the time then...

Online check in requests are for cash guests in cash rooms for the most part.

Requests are just a request and it's up to the room assigner where you will end up.

Word of caution, if you enter your room and decide that you want a different one, you can be charged a full cleaning fee.

Online check in requests are for cash guests in cash rooms for the most part.

Requests are just a request and it's up to the room assigner where you will end up.

Word of caution, if you enter your room and decide that you want a different one, you can be charged a full cleaning fee.

What if I don't enter the room lol - I just see where it is and go back to see if I can get another?

I'll just bring a touring plans map of the DVC buildings and floors so I can know at the desk which one they gave me hahaha

Thanks!

Personally, I would much rather have a Tokelau north end 2nd/3rd floor room than a PVB first floor room.
From the balcony, you can see over the bungalows to see more of the lagoon.

If the hotel industry standard is to be used, PVB should have more lagoon view rooms.

Personally, I would much rather have a Tokelau north end 2nd/3rd floor room than a PVB first floor room.

If the hotel industry standard is to be used, PVB should have more lagoon view rooms.

I'll be in an Poly Lakeview room this time next week. Is above what I want to request when checking in?
Thank you.

Be careful for what you wish. I can see DVC lowering the points for some of the 1st floor studios in Moorea and adding the studios in Tokelau as lake view instead to offset the points.

OP, contact DVC member satisfaction. We had two of the parking lot view studios in Pago Pago and contacted member satisfaction about our disappointing stay. When I talked to the CM who called me, she said she talked to lots of members who were unhappy with the parking lot views - especially when they use as many points as other standard view studios with much nicer views.

Seems the same thing could be said for your "lake" view studio. Nothing will get changed unless enough members complain :) That is the only way to get the rooms reclassified/points lowered for parking lot views.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter