• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Polynesian Non Smoking Longhouse?

tjmw2727

DIS Veteran
Hey all, Myself and my 2dd's are doing a girls only trip in October. We love the Polynesian and have been 3+ times but haven't been for a couple years, since the rehab. I love the AP discount esp on a garden view and due to both dd's having asthma have a guaranteed non-smoking room and are "hoping for" a non-smoking longhouse....

phew that said....

We usually requested and got Nuie as it was not so popular and previously all non smoking. Since the rehap it seems to be smoking optional so I wonder if any have suggestions as to a good choice of a non-smoking longhouse.

Not so particular as the girls are older now and the walk to the GCH or TTC isn't as much of an issue. I would rather avoid the noise of the luau, if possible and I would rather not have a parking lot view but if it comes down to looking at cars/hearing noise or having a smoking and non smoking longhouse I will certainly "look at cars".

Are there a few options for use or should I think about a lagoon view to ensure a nice stay while still a non-smoking longhouse?

Any ideas for me?

TIA
TJ

HI!:wave2:

My oldest son has asthma and we always stay in the Tahiti longhouse. You don't have to worry about a parking lot view and it is right beside the TTC.

BTW - the Tahiti and Rapa Nui longhouses have the largest rooms at the poly and I definitely can tell the difference!

We stayed Samoa GV and had room 3611 with a view of the Hawaii CGV rooms and a path. If you peeked around the corner you could see the boat launch on the lake.

It was a great location - so close to everything and in between the two pools. One morning we caught about 10-15 ducks in the quiet pool with an older couple swimming in the other end. It was very quiet there and most of the floor was occupied.

Have a great trip.

We were in Samoa in May on the third floor. Wonderful room but someone was smoking either in the room below us or next to us. They must have been smoking in their bathroom because it was SO bad you could almost see the smoke. Since Samoa is a non smoking building I called the front desk as it was really bad. Bad enough for DD's eyes to burn. The front desk told me that unless I knew for sure what room it was then they couldn't do anything about it! Anyway after two days the morons must have checked out as we didn't smell it anymore.

Thanks all - I guess many, if not all, the non-smoking longhouses sound great and we are not to picky except non-smoking.

Maybe I should have asked if there is a non-smoking longhouse you would not recommend. I would prefer not to fax or call in a request and if they are all great I won't have to.

Are there any non-smoking rooms in the smoking or smoking optional longhouses? It is hard to determine by reading here, debs and even tikiman's excellent sites.

TIA
TJ

When we stayed at the Polynesian, we were in the Rarotonga longhouse in a requested non-smoking room. The room wasn't a connecting room, this way even if someone is smoking nextdoor (believe me, it can happen, even in non-smoking rooms/designated buildings) the smoke can't get through the door.

Our one ds has asthma and I requested samoa ground floor pool view. At first we didnt get it, ony 2nd floor available but upon check in when I explained to the nce cm juan, why I wanted the ground floor he worked his magic and got it for us. I was really afraid with the humidity and with him swimming he would have an asthma attack and I wanted to hook him up to the neb machine asap. It was the perfect location for us, close to captain cooks, the beach, pool, gch etc. The noise from the pool was not noticeable at all. The other side of samoa is a view of the quiet pool if that interests you.

Originally posted by Blondie
When we stayed at the Polynesian, we were in the Rarotonga longhouse in a requested non-smoking room. The room wasn't a connecting room, this way even if someone is smoking nextdoor (believe me, it can happen, even in non-smoking rooms/designated buildings) the smoke can't get through the door.

Unfortunately it doesn't have to be connecting rooms to smell the smoke. We had a non connecting room and the smoke came in from someone elses bathroom vent.

Well the shorter list would be to tell you what is smoking optional.

All of Niue, The 3rd floor of Tuvalu, the east half of the 2nd floor of Tahiti and half the 3rd floor of Hawaii (concierge rooms) as well as the suites are smoking optional.

Everything else is non-smoking.

Aloha

Steve

Awesome - thanks everyone looks like I will be ok almost anywhere, can't wait.

Great website Steve, lots of work and greatly appreciated.

TJ

This isn't about the Polynesian, but my Pop Century room with a big no smoking sign right on the door smelled of smoke for the first two days I stayed there. After that it went away.

I didn't ask to have it changed since Hurricane Frances was just about to make an appearance. Otherwise I would have.

So, either folks do smoke in the nonsmoking rooms, or they smoke next door. Don't be worried about asking to be moved if they send you to a room that smells of smoke.

On the Polynesian front, I stayed on 3rd floor Hawaii once and while my room did not smell of smoke, the smell was very strong in the hallways from the rooms where smokers were staying, especially the rooms where the doors were propped open so the inhabitants could run in and out to the concierge lounge and bring back food and drinks. When they were done they left large amounts of old food outside the doors to be picked up by housekeeping staff. Yuck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter