Polynesian Is A Poly Wally Rip Off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mish, I just noticed that your stay was concierge. Was the $300 rate to stay in a concierge room? If so, that doesn't seem so bad to me. If the concierge lounge was still able to serve during the hurricane, that difference would have been well worth it to me. Was that more than you had paid for your concierge room?

I feel very badly for those of you who had bad experiences with CMs at the Polynesian. We've stayed there so many times and have had only a few CMs who weren't up to snuff there. I'll admit that I do remember those because they stand out like a sore thumb compared to most of our experiences. Maybe the fact that Traditions is shorter these days is leaving some new CMs without adequate training.

Kelly Nelly, of the other resorts you named, the only one that I think is on a par with the Polynesian is the GF. To me, the others just are not on the same playing field. So I guess I'm off my rocker!
:crazy:

But if the Polynesian isn't your cup of tea, you do have so many other choices more to your liking. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

The OP has NO RIGHT to say that anyone that chooses the POLY is "Off Their Rocker" This is a Personal Attack

I must be unique, but being called off my rocker, especially by someone I don't even know or care about, doesn't bother me AT ALL. I can think of far worse things to be called than that. Why do you take it so seriously? Do you think the OP really means he thinks you have a medically definable mental health problem and is making fun of you? It's just an expression, people! I must be off my rocker for never going anywhere for vacation but WDW!

And to the poster who said the Contemporary is anything but, I agree that it needs to touch up all the multitude of rust all over the place, and get some new room carpeting, which it desperately needs. But I still love it there!

I am sorry that some of you feel that when I said that you must be "off your rocker" to stay at the Polynesian as a personal attack. I really do not mean that, it is just that I was very angry when I started this thread. I still cannot believe that a place like the Poly would charge folks $209- $300 dollars for a room during a hurricane with no ammenties. Like come on here folks, I would gladly pay $200 plus for a room close to the MK and Monorail Transportation to the parks and nice pools etc, but none of this was available during the hurricane. Disney should have been more sympathetic to its customers. I remember just 2 years ago, when they closed the Carribean Beach resort for rehab they transferred me over to the Poly for $99 a night. They seemed to be alot more sympathetic back then, then they did during the hurricane.

must be unique, but being called off my rocker, especially by someone I don't even know or care about, doesn't bother me AT ALL.

I'm with you, I hardly thought it was a personal attack, it was just a little humor, based on the OPs lousy visit.

And I'm one of those nutjobs :jester: who had a great Polynesian experience last month!

We interrupt this increasingly tedious thread with a reality check:

Find your fave here!

Bottom line: Ya can't please all of the people all of the time. For every cringe-worthy review you'll find many more that get you totally psyched. Take all comments with a grain of salt and do exactly as you please. Betcha have a great time! (That said, I still strongly encourage you to cancel your room for next Fri. at the Poly... ) ;)

See y'all at the bamboo HI next week-- yep, I'm still crazy after all these jeers. :crazy:

edit to UPDATE: Got my Fri. night!! Woooooooooohoooooooooo!!

Originally posted by Kelly Nelly
I remember just 2 years ago, when they closed the Carribean Beach resort for rehab they transferred me over to the Poly for $99 a night. They seemed to be alot more sympathetic back then, then they did during the hurricane.

In fairness to WDW, there is a difference between closing a resort for rehab and an act of God such as a hurricane. I'm no lawyer, but I'm willing to bet Disney had no legal obligation to provide rooms, discounts, amenities, or anything else to folks inconvenienced by any of the hurricanes.

I don't mean to belittle your hardships, and certainly don't deny that you have a right to complain, and are absolutely justified in feeling Disney could have done better, but I do think there were some extrenuating circumstances involved here, and what you experienced is far from the norm for all the "off their rocker" folks who choose to stay at the Poly.

The part I found really surprising was the claim that there were CM's who didn't know EPCOT and MGM were part of WDW, or that didn't know what longhouses were. I suppose it could be that they had to shuffle staff around, which might explain the longhouse thing. For not knowing what was and wasn't part of WDW, though, my gut feeling is maybe they didn't understand what you were asking, and it was more of a communication problem than a knowledge one. Just a hunch and I could be totally wrong, but even my DD3 knows that EPCOT and MGM are part of WDW.

Yes it was concierge and it was more than i was paying for my room. I have no problem spending the money for the room, we enjoyed our stay there but as Kelly Nelly said we werent getting anything for it, couldnt even leave the room. I had already payed the extra $300 for room only for Saturday night so we didn't have to change to Pop Century. I would have been out first thing in the morning for the next guest. They couldnt even use the room that night since the airports were closed for two days.

Different resorts for different taste. We love the Poly and have never had any kind of bad experience in our two stays there. They have different themes for the same reasons restaurants offer different items on the menus and there are different types of cars, people have different likes and dislikes. I don't put anyone down because they stay at a resort we would not stay at, its just their tastes are different than ours. As for the conditions of the resort, well, I think the theming of the resort lends itself to the musty odor and look(I have never smelled it) . I was told the smell is more often than not the large amounts of mulch used for the large amounts of floral and fauna they have at the resort..smjj

I continue to read about unpleasent experiences at the Polynesian.

Granted, we have had to wait in line to check in and on occasion have received "Lukewarm" food from Captain Cooks...the point being, have you ever waited in line at home for something? Perhaps McDonalds or Burger King? How about the grocery store...hell no, we never wait in line to check out! What kind of fallacy are you folks entertaining?

Everything good comes with a price tag...be it waiting or whatever! Nothing in life is perfect.

Have we had unpleasent experiences at the Polynesian? Yes, on occasion, but the overall "EXPERIENCE" is what we judge our stay by. That's why we've returned again and again. Example: Looking at the monorail lines when exiting the Kingdom at closing and we can simply hop on a boat that drops us right at the Polynesin Marina dock...nothing like a quiet boat ride across the lagoon to set your mind right.

Nothings perfect...if you really want to get close to perfection then do what Tiger Woods did for his wedding...Drop a couple of million and rent out the whole resort...Bet you get your backside kissed then! Unfortunately, I don't have a spare million or two to throw around...I've learned to live with that and so far we've pretty much been treated like millionaires every time we visit.

Kelly Nelly----Are you frustrated yet that people are missing the whole point of your original post, unable to read a simple statement and not add to it and put words in your mouth???:scratchin

Hang in there your not alone !:teeth:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by blondeqtip
Don't you flamers have anything better to do than take personal offense to someone making a GENERAL comment.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by dpic
Mrs. Pott, let me introduce you to Mr. Kettle.

:tongue: Hey, Dan...make some sense (yes, I know what the trite saying you're attempting to use here, hardly applies here) and take a deep breath!

~tata~ :wave:

I love the Poly - it's my favorite resort and I've tried most of them. However, the OP has the right to HIS opinion. Heck, I've slammed the WL and God knows folks on these boards love it. I didn't like it. We're all different and that's okay because Disney has many resorts to choose from. Obviously the OP was upset when he first posted, and we've all been there. I personally have had the opposite experience with the Poly CMs. I had a terrible experience with the CMs at WL. This proves what I've always said - the CM's make Disney magical. They are Disney Magic!

We're booked at the Swan (never stayed there) for Thanksgiving Weekend. I couldn't get any other resort at a discount. I'm nervous about it because we love YC/BC and Poly and were hoping to stay at YC/BC this time to take advantage of the Epcot area. We stayed at the Poly back in July and Feb. of this year. My point being - I'm gong to try to have an open mind regarding the Swan. However, I am going to keep trying to get what I want.

Someone please cancel your YC/BC plans for that weekend and let me know. :-)

Pam

Originally posted by Aisling
I must be unique, but being called off my rocker, especially by someone I don't even know or care about, doesn't bother me AT ALL. I can think of far worse things to be called than that. Why do you take it so seriously? Do you think the OP really means he thinks you have a medically definable mental health problem and is making fun of you? It's just an expression, people! I must be off my rocker for never going anywhere for vacation but WDW!

AISLING....THAT LAST LINE IS A KILLER!! :rotfl: LOL...If most folks believe we're already wacked because we return to the same place year after year...it doesn't really matter WHERE we stay!!! ;) :p :teeth:

I too...love the CR, and just about EVERY resort on property. The OP is entitled to his/her opinion, and I am grateful for their post/contribution. I feel sorry they had such a terrible experience at the POLY, and hope their next visit is MUCH better!!

TTFN...DF99 :wave2:

Originally posted by Kelly Nelly
" No, I was one of the lucky ones who did not have to stay at this HE double hockey sticks ( only the real word) hole through the Huricane"

Ackkkkk! No Way!!!
-Wendy :confused:

I had to bump this one back up because it is so funny.

I guess Kelly Nelly only likes the Polynesian when it is $99 a night.

I know I could stay in any room at any resort and I will continue to chose the Polynesian when ever we return to WDW.

Aloha

Steve

First time poster and long time reader here, and I would have to agree with the guy who started this thread. Stayed at many of the deluxes including GF, YC, AKL, BWI, and Poly. The Poly staff were rude and comparatively uninformed compared to my experiences at the other Deluxes. This in combination with the old, outdated Brady Bunch, 70s smell (the dust and rust of the rooms/buildings) to the whole place makes this the most overpriced of the Deluxes IMO. I cant argue with the convenience of the whole place which is a huge plus. But the resort itself, on its own merits as a destination, left alot to be desired for me a that price ....

Originally posted by MisterDisney
First time poster and long time reader here, and I would have to agree with the guy who started this thread. Stayed at many of the deluxes including GF, YC, AKL, BWI, and Poly. The Poly staff were rude and comparatively uninformed compared to my experiences at the other Deluxes. This in combination with the old, outdated Brady Bunch, 70s smell (the dust and rust of the rooms/buildings) to the whole place makes this the most overpriced of the Deluxes IMO. I cant argue with the convenience of the whole place which is a huge plus. But the resort itself, on its own merits as a destination, left alot to be desired for me a that price ....

This is one smart man right here, I totally agree.

Tikiman you should change your name to Wildernessman, or Floridianman, or Boardwalkman, and change your Polynesian website to another deluxe resort that is actually worth devoting a web page to. The Polynesian would be cool if all the CM's there where as dedicated to the Polynesian as you, but the vast majority of them there have a very sour attitude, and it is now giving the Polynesian a very bad rap.

I had a great time at the Polynesian...I for some reason dont interact with CM's enough that they would be sour with me. We had a quick check in, they were nice enough to bring us some robes and the Ohana bartender is always a nice chat :).

Hopefully this won't be a problem come December.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter