Polynesian DVC Disappointment

Not changing the point rate, but adding a category at least let's people know what they are getting. If no one wants to spend the extra points for 1st floor rooms, than they would just be overpriced and need a market adjustment. I doubt that would be the outcome as they are still highly desirable room. More than likely, they would just be filled later in the process. Upper level lake view would book out first. People who missed an upper level room, but do not believe a 1st floor room is fair at that price just won't pay for it. The people who book the 1st floor rooms would not be disappointed because they knew what they were buying when they made the purchase. Even better, people who WANT a first floor room now would be able to guarantee that perk. It seems like a win/win situation. It gives customer better service and even decreases the room request issues for CM with zero revenue impact. The only cost for this win/win solution is to make the adjustment to the system and pick a start date.

Not changing the point rate, but adding a category at least let's people know what they are getting. If no one wants to spend the extra points for 1st floor rooms, than they would just be overpriced and need a market adjustment. I doubt that would be the outcome as they are still highly desirable room. More than likely, they would just be filled later in the process. Upper level lake view would book out first. People who missed an upper level room, but do not believe a 1st floor room is fair at that price just won't pay for it. The people who book the 1st floor rooms would not be disappointed because they knew what they were buying when they made the purchase. Even better, people who WANT a first floor room now would be able to guarantee that perk. It seems like a win/win situation. It gives customer better service and even decreases the room request issues for CM with zero revenue impact. The only cost for this win/win solution is to make the adjustment to the system and pick a start date.
There are advantages but it does fragment the inventory. Plus it might actually make things worse in terms of complaints from those who booked the highest category as they're still not that great at the best they can be.

To the OP I just want to say I totally understand what you are saying. My DH and I stayed there for our 25th wedding anniversary at the end of September. We had room 1038, 1st floor closest to the TTC. We absolutely loved it. It was a beautiful lakeview since we were all the way at the end. We did frequently comment how sorry we felt for those who had used the extra points for "lakeview" who also got the first floor. Our first floor room was the only 1st floor lake view room. To categorize the other first floor rooms as "lake view" just isn't acceptable, in my view.

On a slightly different point related to the OP's concerns... it may be there were simply no rooms remaining that were changing over on the third floor of his check in day. And so no ability to grant the request. Often times we check in late in the evening there just is no flexibility left. We always try to arrive very early and ask if they were able to grant our request. We've often gotten what we wanted when they then looked and made changes.

Offering to change rooms a day or two later should never be granted. That adds cost with an extra room cleaning and luggage move. And it's a lot of extra work for the desk castmember to set up.

On a slightly different point related to the OP's concerns... it may be there were simply no rooms remaining that were changing over on the third floor of his check in day. And so no ability to grant the request. Often times we check in late in the evening there just is no flexibility left. We always try to arrive very early and ask if they were able to grant our request. We've often gotten what we wanted when they then looked and made changes.

Offering to change rooms a day or two later should never be granted. That adds cost with an extra room cleaning and luggage move. And it's a lot of extra work for the desk castmember to set up.

Certainly a move can be granted 2 of 3 days later and DVC has a stated policy of charging a cleaning fee. There's no reason to deny it if the room is available that fits for scheduling and is a room the person wishes to move to.

Last edited:
Certainly a move can be granted 2 of 3 days later and DVC has a stated policy of charging a cleaning fee. There's no reason to deny it if the room is available that fits for scheduling and is a room the person wishes to move to.

I too do not see any problem with someone moving that is willing to pay the fee. That is their decision.

I think too that they should go to the 3 categories instead of 2, and in order to keep the minimums in line to book in low season (17 points minimum for VGF, VGC, and Aulani, 16 points minimum for Poly, etc.), they will need to make the standard parking lot view start at 16 points, and raise the garden view and lake view to higher points. In exchange for this, they will be able to do something else that a lot of people want- lower the points for the bungalows. Granted, it will make the garden view and lake view studios very expensive though, probably higher than VGF or VGC studios. Maybe they could ease the pain by sticking washer/dryer units in them, hehe.

The only ones that would benefit from adding a standard view with lower points are the half of the guests staying in Pago Pago which is less than 38 studios. I am not sure I see the advantage to the change the more I think about it. The smaller the inventory the more nights that go unbooked because of fragmented bookings--a night is only available here and there.

Don't understand why the OP would again spend points on a lake view after not being happy after their first visit and expect to get higher floor just because it was "requested". I've requested lots of categories at various DVCs and sometimes get them and sometimes don't. Someone has to get the short straw, and I've had quite a few in 20 years. That being said, we did get 3rd floor, for one night, at Poly but will never go back. I know many share my feelings, so maybe those upper floors will become more available soon. I would hope that people visited the Poly before purchasing so they could see the set up and what they were paying for.

One thing that these room changes/re-classifications have in common is that a lot of members spoke up and complained. I think in the case of BWV view (before it was a booking category), the CMs were getting quite a bit of immediate and profound feedback from the members who were not able to snag "the view" (and a lot of aggravation from the members who were willing to camp out in the lobby for hours in order to get the view). Having it predetermined at booking took all that out of play. I think in the case of BWV, it was the path of least resistance--it was way easier to designate the booking category than to have the chaos at check in time.

I think if enough PVB owners speak up, they will change it.

Prior category changes were under a different management, unknown what the new SVP will do.

:earsboy: Bill

Now days it seems that the entitlement mentality is alive and well and for DVC, on steroids.

My guess is that DVC owners are more knowledgeable than the general public and we don't put up with problems and expect that Disney makes things right. Being upset about not getting your location request is a different issue, requests are not guaranteed. I got upset at SSR a few years ago when we received a room as far from our request as it could be. After discussing the situation with the CM and looking at the reservation they showed me that the request was never placed by MS or it was deleted. Since then we double check that the request is in fact added to the reservation.

My guess is that DVC owners are more knowledgeable than the general public and we don't put up with problems and expect that Disney makes things right. Being upset about not getting your location request is a different issue, requests are not guaranteed. I got upset at SSR a few years ago when we received a room as far from our request as it could be. After discussing the situation with the CM and looking at the reservation they showed me that the request was never placed by MS or it was deleted. Since then we double check that the request is in fact added to the reservation.

Being knowledgeable is one thing but I stand by my premise that DVC members as a group have a higher % of entitlement thinking than average. I suspect this is true for several reasons including that the issue is common in general and that a lot of money and commitment is tied up in Disney, plus many don't truly understand what they have (and have not) actually paid for. We see it here on DIS routinely.

What is the best way to confirm? We are staying in a lake view room and I requested to be on the third floor, if not the second. Can I contact MS and have them read any requests back to me? Thanks

I don't know if this adds anything to the conversation or not, but my first stay at Aulani was as a cash guest, not a DVC member. I paid for an ocean view 2BR villa, close to $1,500 a night. Our view was of the JW Marriott (under extensive renovation) next door, with a sliver of ocean off in the distance. When we were speaking to our DVC guide and thinking about buying in, we told him about our dissatisfaction and he admitted that many guests had the same complaint. His prediction was that they would unveil a "partial ocean view" category to account for rooms like our own. We bought DVC anyway because Aulani is so amazing, but vowed not to spend extra points on ocean view rooms given this risk, until the situation was fixed.

I see now that Aulani has in fact added a "partial ocean view" category, but only for their cash reservations. The DVC categories remain the same, and I would still be ticked off (like the OP here, even though their incident happened at the PVB) if I spent those extra points and was sorely let down.

What is the best way to confirm? We are staying in a lake view room and I requested to be on the third floor, if not the second. Can I contact MS and have them read any requests back to me? Thanks

by phone, email, or by chat, our requests seem to make it to the reservation better when we send an email via the member website contact form.

We bought DVC anyway because Aulani is so amazing, but vowed not to spend extra points on ocean view rooms given this risk, until the situation was fixed.

I see now that Aulani has in fact added a "partial ocean view" category, but only for their cash reservations. The DVC categories remain the same, and I would still be ticked off (like the OP here, even though their incident happened at the PVB) if I spent those extra points and was sorely let down.
It's not likely to be "fixed" for DVC and you did buy anyway hopefully realizing that you might not be able to get the lessor category and might have to decide later whether to not go for a given trip or break your vow. People just need to realize, hopefully before buying, that with timeshares you are accepting that risk and that someone will get the lessor views/rooms and it might be you or me.

If you read Aulani's master declaration or its point chart, you will see the following language describing the different views:

"Standard View includes either a view of the conference center, parking lot or parking garage from the room or balcony. Island Gardens View includes at least a partial view of the mountains, spa or landscaping from the room or balcony. Poolside Gardens View includes at least a partial view of the pool, courtyards, water features, or landscaping from the room or balcony. Ocean View includes at least a partial view of the ocean from the room or balcony. "​

Since Day One, Aulani has explicitly stated that the Ocean View is, at worse, only a partial view of the ocean.

Edited to add: Aulani, to its credit, is the only DVC property that includes the language describing its different view categories in its Master Declaration and point chart. I thought it would have become standard language applied to all subsequent DVC properties, but it hasn't.

If you read Aulani's master declaration or its point chart, you will see the following language describing the different views:

"Standard View includes either a view of the conference center, parking lot or parking garage from the room or balcony. Island Gardens View includes at least a partial view of the mountains, spa or landscaping from the room or balcony. Poolside Gardens View includes at least a partial view of the pool, courtyards, water features, or landscaping from the room or balcony. Ocean View includes at least a partial view of the ocean from the room or balcony. "​

Since Day One, Aulani has explicitly stated that the Ocean View is, at worse, only a partial view of the ocean.

Edited to add: Aulani, to its credit, is the only DVC property that includes the language describing its different view categories in its Master Declaration and point chart. I thought it would have become standard language applied to all subsequent DVC properties, but it hasn't.

The view descriptions may be a requirement of Hawaii timeshare law.

The only ones that would benefit from adding a standard view with lower points are the half of the guests staying in Pago Pago which is less than 38 studios. I am not sure I see the advantage to the change the more I think about it. The smaller the inventory the more nights that go unbooked because of fragmented bookings--a night is only available here and there.

Not sure that smaller inventories of a room category lead to nights going unbooked.
I believe it comes down to demand.

For example, AKV Concierge is a small booking category, but extremely popular. Not sure how many AKV Studio Concierge rooms there are, but I'm guessing it's very, very small compared to the number of AKV total points. Many people are willing to book the single nights when they are available.

Unlikely PVB Pago Pago parking lot view would have AKV concierge demand. However, for the right number of points per night, there will be demand. In time, the thrill of sitting on the balcony/patio may wear off at PVB and more people may decide they would accept a parking lot view for fewer points. I could spend hours at the beach, pools, and lobby area.

If Pago Pago parking lot view were similar points to BLT's standard view, that would certainly make DW and I consider contacting Disney about a fixed week contract.

The small size of the PVB contracts may have a larger impact on fragmented bookings than a booking category being smaller.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter