• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Polynesian Bongalow rip off

rav4lcrv

Mouseketeer
I have been reading a lot of reviews on Facebook about the AC issues in the Bungalows, sounds like it has not been repaired and Disney does not care since there is a waiting list

Of course, some of the "stories" out there are mostly click-bait overly sensational headlines. (Like "there is no A/C in the bungalows")

I don't think it's broken unit(s) they refuse to fix.
To me, it sounds like there was a system design or construction flaw with the Poly bungalow HVAC, 8 months a year, it's adequate, but right now it can't keep up. It could be the construction is less efficient than planned (incorrect material substitution) or the HVAC load was not properly calculated, or some of both. I would guess this type of issue makes it more complex.

It certainly is a very disappointing issue considering how much money and points Disney is charging those who are staying in those Bungalows.

Of course, some of the "stories" out there are mostly click-bait overly sensational headlines. (Like "there is no A/C in the bungalows")

I don't think it's broken unit(s) they refuse to fix.
To me, it sounds like there was a system design or construction flaw with the Poly bungalow HVAC, 8 months a year, it's adequate, but right now it can't keep up. It could be the construction is less efficient than planned (incorrect material substitution) or the HVAC load was not properly calculated, or some of both. I would guess this type of issue makes it more complex.

It certainly is a very disappointing issue considering how much money and points Disney is charging those who are staying in those Bungalows.
Sounds like it was undersized for demand, probably low bid during construction

From what I read they are offering free daily housekeeping as compensation. You'll need to get those sweaty sheets changed!

Sounds like there is a central plant on shore the provides cooling to all of the bungalow rooms and it is having issues. When BLT first opened, there were HVAC and hot water issues that took several months to fix. AKV had the hot and cold water reversed and there were reports of the washing machines years later still being reversed.

:earsboy: Bill

Personally daily cleaning service is the last thing I would want. I think a small amount of points refunded would be fine. I just don't know because i am not really in that situation.

I guess when the new WLV cabins are done we better wait a couple years to see if everything works.

Just a guestimate but, a bungalow is about 130 points a night average at $160 a point means DVD picked up over $7,600,000 per unit. You would think they could have put in equipment that would last more than a few years.

I would be beyond mad and ask to be transferred somewhere else and have the difference in points refunded.

Last edited:
Sounds like there is a central plant on shore the provides cooling to all of the bungalow rooms and it is having issues. When BLT first opened, there were HVAC and hot water issues that took several months to fix. AKV had the hot and cold water reversed and there were reports of the washing machines years later still being reversed.

:earsboy: Bill
You would think with all these previous problems TPTB would have anticipated issues and worked them out.

I think placing window AC units in each master bedroom at the bungalows can be considered an attempt to fix the problem until they can get the HVAC system replaced. I understand that during the heat of the day they have gotten the temps down to 78 degrees. Not cool enough for many guests, but better than before. It wouldn't be like replacing a home HVAC system where every company keeps dozens on hand. I expect the HVAC system needed for the bungalows is not a standard system for even hotels.

I would be beyond mad and ask to be transferred somewhere else and have the difference in points refunded.
I don't do hot and we've had more than our fair share of issues traveling both with DVC and with Marriott as well as hotels. This is an issue that just seems to follow us around.. In a similar vein we've had a number of issues with hot water as well. The difference has been that with Marriott we've had to change out at least 3 complete units. This past summer we had one go out in our 2 BR (we had 7 villas). It was the one in the studio side my sister and BIL were staying in. They came and work on it till late (it was MN before they were done) and couldn't fix it so they brought a portable unit with an attachment for the sliding door (basically a dog door) and it worked well. The next day they had to come and work on it more then decided it needed to be replaced. They ended up having to have the crew stay and work over time to get it done when that unit was bad and they had to replace it a second time because it had a leak in the new one. Aggravating for us but not that bad and they couldn't have done better.

Could be like the studio bathroom remodel at BLT where DVD picked up the cost. In this case I'd think that would be fairly likely.
Probably but not an absolute. I know of a roof issue where there is a question whether Marriott sold the resort knowing there were roof issues then when it had to be fixed, the owners had to pick up the tab. I'm not sure if that one is through on the litigation side yet and we'll likely never know if it was knowing done or just bad luck.

I think placing window AC units in each master bedroom at the bungalows can be considered an attempt to fix the problem until they can get the HVAC system replaced. I understand that during the heat of the day they have gotten the temps down to 78 degrees. Not cool enough for many guests, but better than before. It wouldn't be like replacing a home HVAC system where every company keeps dozens on hand. I expect the HVAC system needed for the bungalows is not a standard system for even hotels.
Probably a custom made plant to service this experimental unit

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter