Polynesian/Animal Kingdom split stay question

Yahweh

DIS Veteran
I currently have a 7 night reservation at the Polynesian. I am considering breaking up the stay and spending the last 3 nights at Animal Kingdom Lodge. I’d go to Magic Kingdom and Epcot while staying at the Poly. And then do Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios and downtown Disney while staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge.

I’d save $300 or so and would be willing to eat at Saana at least 2 of those nights. Which is one of the main reasons why I’d switch, as I hate having to take two busses to get back to the resort from Saana!

I guess my question is:

Is there much difference in travel time to Hollywood studios and downtown Disney coming from AK vs. from the Polynesian. Either way I figure I have to get on a bus anyways, so unless it a massive time difference I’m not too worried.

Are there any other things I should know, that could pose a problem with switching resorts? We are not going to do the dining plan, so I don’t have to worry about that.

We did that same split once, though we did AKL and then Poly. We've had no problems with split stays and changing resorts. You'll find it's pretty easy to do.

I think the bus ride to DTD from either place will be about the same. At the Poly, you'd stop at GF before going to DTD and they usually take a funny route over there (not a straight shot). From AKL, I think the ride is more a straight shot.

Also done that same split, but in reverse.

I think the travel to DTD from every resort is terrible, and that is the one place we always grab a taxi to get to.

Long bus ride from Poly--know from lots of experience. Long bus ride from AKL--had breakfast at Boma. Took bus to DTD. It stopped at TL first and then went to DTD. I agree with taking a taxi if you choose.

I guess with the money saved from staying at the poly, we could certainly justify grabbing a taxi a few times. ::yes::

We are doing an AKV-PR split in July, 5 nights at each. We can't wait, and we are doing it to have the best combo of convenience and atmosphere, as well as to cut down on buses we have to take with strollers. This is our first split stay, and we can't wait.

I really don't know the answer to your question, but it does sound like with the money you saved, you can justify taxi trips on an occasion or two. We are staying at the AKL end of May/first of June, and plan to go to HS for RD our first morning. I'm hoping the bus won't take too terribly long. I'll try to find your thread and question and let you know how it goes when we get back, although that will be fairly close to your trip. :cheer2:

...I guess my question is:

Is there much difference in travel time to Hollywood studios and downtown Disney coming from AK vs. from the Polynesian. Either way I figure I have to get on a bus anyways, so unless it a massive time difference I’m not too worried.

Are there any other things I should know, that could pose a problem with switching resorts? We are not going to do the dining plan, so I don’t have to worry about that.
The travel time by bus are about the same which is around 20 minutes. The key to your experience is how long do you wait for the bus and the behavior of the other guest waiting.

We have done a PR/AKL vacation in the past. There is a significant difference between these two resorts. PR is in a icon area of WDW. AKL is remote-isolated to a point you could feel you are somewhere other than Disney based upon the resorts theme. Overall, we prefer PR over AKL. Location and water recreation/views is an important factor in our stay. We prefer MK or Epcot resort area.

Most of the issues with spilt stay resort move day are documented pretty well in other threads. A main goal is to minimize the amount of time lost in moving and checking-into the second resort. Otherwise the normal issues focus around 2nd resort room availability, move luggage yourself or let Disney do it, things you might need during the day you don't want to store in luggage, room card/park tickets, what to do if room not ready, cold goods storage.

We've done an AKL-Poly split (but AKL first) and it was great. The 2 resorts really compliment one another nicely. And we did do the same as far as touring (MK and EP from the Poly -- DHS and AK from AKL).

The AKL bus to DHS isn't bad at all. I find their buses to be better than the ones from the monorail resorts (AKL doesn't share buses except with the DVC building but that is super close). As for DTD -- the bus ride there from anywhere has been awful for us -- we take a taxi or skip DTD altogether.

No real problems switching... just be aware that you won't have a room until 3-4 pm that day, and that they will move your luggage for you, but it might not show up at resort #2 until 4-5pm as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter