Poly vs. Yact Club

bridgehamptonnc

Mouseketeer
We have the option to either stay at the Yacht Club in a standard room that is on the Club level or stay at the Poly in just a standard room. This will be the first time staying at a Disney Resort. We plan on going to MK, Epcot, and Hollywood Studios. What do you guys think? Does the location/monorail at the Poly outweigh staying at a Club level room at Disney?
Many thanks!!

We have the option to either stay at the Yacht Club in a standard room that is on the Club level or stay at the Poly in just a standard room. This will be the first time staying at a Disney Resort. We plan on going to MK, Epcot, and Hollywood Studios. What do you guys think? Does the location/monorail at the Poly outweigh staying at a Club level room at Disney?
Many thanks!!

Walking to Epcot and taking a boat to Hollywood Studios in my opinion, even if the rooms were the same, would outweigh being on the monorail that only takes you conveniently to MK. To get to Epcot is two monorails (which is a pain IMO). Then add on the CL room to the YC, that's a no-brainer.

We love both Poly and BC/YC, but with the construction at Poly this one is a no-brainer - generally. WHEN you go does make some difference - the entire Epcot resort area is packed in Oct due to F&W and Gartner Symposium so if you're going in Oct and want some quite-time Poly would win.

We usually just walk from YC/BC, take the boat back from HS. The boats from YC are great for HS/Epcot but Poly is is also good for Epcot - ask for a room over by the TTC (Rapa Nui or Tahiti), then just walk to the Epcot monorail.

I'm actually of the opinion that the location/transportation is far better at the Epcot resorts than the MK resorts. Nothing beats the ability to use your own two feet to get to two parks, IMHO. I've never stayed at a monorail resort, and we are staying at GF for the first time this summer, but if can't imagine I will think the monorail is more convenient than my feet. :goodvibes

Also, with the construction ongoing at the Poly into 2015, I have no interest in paying that kind of money to stay in a construction zone. I will save our Poly stay for when construction is done. :goodvibes

Wow... I must say that I am bit surprised that all of the replies so far have been for the Yacht Club. After reading this forum for a few days, it seemed that the Poly and the WL got the best reviews for a Disney Resort. We would be going at the end of March. Is the construction at the Poly all over the place or just in a few locations? Has anyone stayed at both of these Resorts?
Many thanks again!

We've been to Poly and Beach Club and I would say it's hard to suggest one over the other for a first timer on site. Normally my choice would be Poly, especially if you're going with real young ones; the monorail convenience to MK is great.
HOWEVER, with the Poly construction going on right now, I would hate to introduce you to a Disney resort that way so go Yacht Club. You won't be disappointed with the amenities - the pool is awesome, and as was mentioned walking in and out of Epcot 10 minutes from the lobby is pretty nice. When we were at BC we used that opportunity to taste the many flavors of the World Showcase for our meals because it was right there.

I keep reading a lot of reviews online that both of these Resorts have some kind of musty smells in the rooms, and that the soundproofing between the walls of the adjacent rooms is horrible. Usually the truth is somewhere in the middle. Have any of you had any issues? I know that the Poly was one of the first Resorts built in Disney, but how old is the Yacht Club?

I keep reading a lot of reviews online that both of these Resorts have some kind of musty smells in the rooms, and that the soundproofing between the walls of the adjacent rooms is horrible. Usually the truth is somewhere in the middle. Have any of you had any issues? I know that the Poly was one of the first Resorts built in Disney, but how old is the Yacht Club?

We stayed at YC in April. Our room was in perfect condition and did not smell. We didn't have any issues with noise other than one side of our room backed up to the elevator, so that made some noise. But we didn't hear people in the halls or our neighbors.

YC was built in the early 90's I believe.

Wow... I must say that I am bit surprised that all of the replies so far have been for the Yacht Club. After reading this forum for a few days, it seemed that the Poly and the WL got the best reviews for a Disney Resort. We would be going at the end of March. Is the construction at the Poly all over the place or just in a few locations? Has anyone stayed at both of these Resorts?
Many thanks again!

We haven't stayed at the YC but have stayed at the BC, as well as the Poly, and the Poly would be my choice without hesitation (even with construction). We love the Poly for many reasons and would choose it over an Epcot resort anytime. We love being on the monorail with easy access to not only MK, but to the CR and GF for a variety of both dining options (both CS and TS). The Poly is also just a 5-7 minute walk from the TTC to catch the Epcot monorail. Other advantages of the Poly are the rooms are quite a bit larger, all rooms come with a daybed (which would only be a request at the YC), the pool is great as it backs up to the beach with a distant view of the castle, and you can't beat relaxing in a hammock on the beach watching the fireworks. We did enjoy our BC stay, but the convenience of being on the monorail for MK, as well as being within walking distance to the TTC to catch the Epcot monorail, outweigh the location of the YC (at least for us).

The Poly rooms just went through a refurb this past summer/fall, so everything is new. While I don't know how old the YC is, I think it's supposed to undergo a refurb sometime this year, but I'm not sure when that's scheduled to take place.

I have stayed at both and they are both very nice resorts! I would pick club level at the YC--we just were there on club level this past Sept. The availability of grabbing breakfast as you head to the parks was nice as well as grabbing snacks and drinks throughout the day. I LOVED being able to walk to Epcot and boat or walk to HS. I also enjoyed the pool more at YC than at the Poly. We stayed at the YC for 9 nights and never once heard our neighbors. I did enjoy the monorail at the Poly--it was great. However, the bus service to HS and AK was bad while we were there. YC bus service was great--we only shared with the BC and we never waited long for a bus. I could have been lucky at the YC and not so lucky at the Poly. Also, the only resort where I have heard my neighbors was at the Poly. We had a really loud family next to us that would make noise late at night. Again, probably just bad luck. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

Personally, I would pick the convenience of CL in ANY resort over any other, non-CL. We loved our last stay at the YC - couldn't understand all the bad reviews.

Agree--YC club. Try Poly next trip when construction is done. It's not just the DVC stuff, they are doing stuff to the great ceremonial hall too.

We cancelled Poly for our upcoming trip due to the construction. I too would vote for Yacht.

OP, I suggest looking at online photos of the Poly construction and decide if you want to spend your vacation looking at a construction site.

I am so glad that I posted this thread. I was 99% sure that I was going to be booking the Poly based on what I read on this forum the last couple of days. Now it looks like I will be doing a 180.

To get to Disney World from the Yacht Club, do you just take the bus? Is it a long trip? I read a post on here that someone that stayed at the Yacht Club drove their car to the Contemporary Resort, and then walked to Disney World. Does that sound like a plan to you guys? Just wondering what happens when the park stays open past midnight for the resort guests. Would the buses still be available to transport you back to the resort?

You guys rock! Thanks.

I am so glad that I posted this thread. I was 99% sure that I was going to be booking the Poly based on what I read on this forum the last couple of days. Now it looks like I will be doing a 180.

To get to Disney World from the Yacht Club, do you just take the bus? Is it a long trip? I read a post on here that someone that stayed at the Yacht Club drove their car to the Contemporary Resort, and then walked to Disney World. Does that sound like a plan to you guys? Just wondering what happens when the park stays open past midnight for the resort guests. Would the buses still be available to transport you back to the resort?

You guys rock! Thanks.

I am assume that you are referring to Magic Kingdom? (Disney World is the entire resort including 4 parks, many resorts, Downtown Disney, etc....)

MK is a 15 minute bus ride from YC. The buses operate during EMH's as well. I don't believe you are supposed to park at CR. And walk over to the park, unless you pay for valet I think. :confused3

I don't use a car at Disney so I'm not 100% sure on that one.

You guys rock! Thanks.

Bus transportation is hit or miss from the Epcot resorts, IMO. We had a horrible experience with the buses during our BC stay as the buses shared among all 5 resorts, was always standing room only, and it took a long time getting to/from MK. Keep in mind that this was just our experience and although our stay was 10 years ago, I read reports of others having had the same experience as us who have stayed there recently. With that said, there are also reports of guests who have had great experiences with the buses only sharing between the BC and YC, making for a shorter ride. This is just my opinion, but I don't think you'll know just what the buses will be like until you get there.

As far as driving to the CR and walking to MK, if you valet park, you can leave your car there all day; otherwise, you will not be able to park there as the CR parking lot is only for those staying at the CR.

I wouldn't worry about getting back to your resort after EMH as there will always be transportation back to your resort.

YC CL hands down over a standard room anywhere. With construction going on at the Poly I would suggest staying elsewhere even if it were a standard room at YC.

You can walk to 2 parks from the YC (Epcot and DHS) or take a boat. You do have to bus to the MK and AK. Any and all transportation can be spotty at any WDW resort, so it's the luck of the draw. Monorail resorts have no better transportation, IMO, now that the monorail is less reliable. Personally, I am nervous getting on the monorail these days.

I know people have complained about the busses at WDW but I have never found any problems with any busses and we have stayed at most of the deluxe resorts.

...and speaking of transportation, I am assuming that the monorail will be back on-line full time by the end of March, but we are staying at the GF in a few weeks with no monorail for 8 hours during the day...not a deal breaker for us, but for my first WDW visit, I would want the monorail operating at all times.

We just got back from Boardwalk Inn Club Level. If Yacht Club is anything like that you can make breakfast and dinner from the Club offerings. Saved us from buying a lot of over priced food. No problems with busses but that all depends on the crowd level for the time you are visiting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter