• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Poly views aren't that bad... in fact, some are pretty good

We just checked into the Polynesian Villas and here is the view from our room (snapshot with an iPhone 5).

http://i235.*************************************Misc/PVB_Oct23_2015.jpg

It's actually better than I thought it would be. I guess we lucked out with a 3rd floor view.

Now I just have to see how the fireworks look and how loud the boat horns are :)

Glad you had a great view and sorry about your housekeeping issues.

I agree that the rooms at the VGF are pretty darn nice! I like the style - sort of like Grandma's house and I'm not trying to be sarcastic or insinuate that it is an old fashioned luxury, since rooms in my home do sort of resemble the look:).

But, I do like to mix it up and I enjoy all the resorts, including the decor at places such as AKV, BCV, BWV and even my least favorite VWL.

So, I'm looking forward to a little Tiki Tiki at Poly.

I would LOVE to have your view, but I doubt it will happen since my waitlist came through for a standard studio!

But - there's always the beach or the third floor landings........

When I stayed at VGF, I had a 4th floor lake view studio - the one on the right corner in your picture.
THAT was an awesome VIEW! You could see MK fireworks, Poly, BLT, Islands, boats, birds flying, weddings and beach all from that balcony. Absolutely loved it! (Also liked the parking, the spa, the barbecue area and the Monorail access - lots of pluses to that location.)

Getting a dirty room may be acceptable to you, it isn't to me. If management cared they would fix the issue and not run the risk of their guests getting a room with cleaning and maintenance issues. Disney posts a profit of about 2 BILLION per month, if they cared they would spend some money and clean all of the rooms.

:earsboy: Bill

It's not acceptable to me either. It's certainly not the norm, or the standard that's been set. There are always going to be instances which slip through the cracks, no matter how much money they (reasonably) throw at checks and balances. Being in the hospitality business, they absolutely care about guest satisfaction, if only because it's good business.

It's not acceptable to me either. It's certainly not the norm, or the standard that's been set. There are always going to be instances which slip through the cracks, no matter how much money they (reasonably) throw at checks and balances. Being in the hospitality business, they absolutely care about guest satisfaction, if only because it's good business.

I'm sure they care about guest satisfaction. But how are they communicating it to their employees? I manage a lot of people. And a few people manage me. A couple of days ago, I listened in on some PR grooming where someone was being readied for the media. It was amusing to me as these people took the credit for the great job they do, with nary a tidbit thrown to the front line employee contribution. That comes through in their every day vibe. These are fairly inexperienced managers who think they are the ones making the difference.

Does Disney make their front line employees feel valued? I'm not so sure that current management does. Do the guests themselves make employees feel valued? Not so sure we all do. If you want perfection for $15 an hour, there's got to be some incentive that's intrinsic as well as a good work ethic. I see it in my own people.

Based on Tikiman's many experiences at Poly, it seems housekeeping has been an issue for a very long time. I believe it was during one of Tikiman's stays this year, he posted that he had given up on Poly housekeeping. I believe his early stay in 2016, he called because housekeeping skipped his cash hotel room. Later in the day, he gave up on them ever coming.

Just my personal belief, but things like this are not acceptable and a sign of not caring.

NOTE: we had a room at BCV once which literally had cobwebs in several places. We had to go to the front desk. Initially, they didn't believe us. After we showed them pictures, they apologized and had the room cleaned again while we were in the parks.

I had a great view of Hallowishes from 3rd floor Moorea - the castle was the centerpiece of the panoramic fireworks. Also, no mousekeeping issues in my room.

We just checked into the Polynesian Villas and here is the view from our room (snapshot with an iPhone 5).

http://i235.*************************************Misc/PVB_Oct23_2015.jpg

It's actually better than I thought it would be. I guess we lucked out with a 3rd floor view.

Now I just have to see how the fireworks look and how loud the boat horns are :)

☆ ★ ☆ ★ Got questions about DVC? ★ ☆ ★ ☆
http://i235.*************************************Sigs/DICSIG250x79.png
★ ☆ ★ THE DVC INFORMATION CENTER ★ ☆ ★

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Great view, thanks for the picture. We are trying to decide between lake and standard for an upcoming stay.

I was there in June and we had a standard view room that looked right out at the monorail. I thought I'd not like it but ended up loving it. We couldn't hear the monorail from in the room and actually enjoyed watching it come by when we were in there. Here's a picture of our view.IMG_2059.JPG

Based on Tikiman's many experiences at Poly, it seems housekeeping has been an issue for a very long time. I believe it was during one of Tikiman's stays this year, he posted that he had given up on Poly housekeeping. I believe his early stay in 2016, he called because housekeeping skipped his cash hotel room. Later in the day, he gave up on them ever coming.

Just my personal belief, but things like this are not acceptable and a sign of not caring.

NOTE: we had a room at BCV once which literally had cobwebs in several places. We had to go to the front desk. Initially, they didn't believe us. After we showed them pictures, they apologized and had the room cleaned again while we were in the parks.

I think that the cleaning issues are property wide. Could be a protected union thing, the fact that the workers are in a non-tipped status or the fact that many are temporary non citizens recruited from foreign countries to keep Disney's costs down.

I was there in June and we had a standard view room that looked right out at the monorail. I thought I'd not like it but ended up loving it. We couldn't hear the monorail from in the room and actually enjoyed watching it come by when we were in there. Here's a picture of our view.View attachment 135974
I have read that some specifically request PagoPago, especially if you are using a car; very convenient for parking. ::yes:::goodvibes

Pago Pago was extremely convenient for the parking! I really liked the location a lot. It wasn't far from the main house and we didn't go there that often anyway. The buses were close and the TTC was too. Definitely a great location and I liked the view.

We are at PVB and we have a very good view. We are on the third floor almost in the middle of Moorea. When we walked into the villa, we could see Cinderella's Castle. Even when I sit on the edge of the bed I can see the Castle.

The ferry horns have not been an issue. They have not disturbed our sleep at all.

Our room is in great shape and very clean. I noticed that one of the throw pillows on the couch was missing the cloth cover on one of its decorative buttons, so I can't say the villa is in pristine condition. I guess PVB won't get a 5-star rating this year.

I discovered one thing that might be a maintenance issue, or it might be a engineered safety feature. The electrical outlet in the bathroom with the shower is on the same circuit as the light switch. When I turn off the bathroom light, it cuts the electricity running to the outlet. No big deal, except that we use an electric toothbrush and I plugged the toothbrush's charging stand into that outlet. When I turned off the bathroom light, the toothbrush wasn't recharging. Maybe the outlet is designed that way so that someone doesn't leave a curling iron plugged in and running when they leave the room? I'll raise this issue with maintenance before we check out.

Here are a couple view photos from our villa:

DSC_2001_zpshwvlgefm.jpg

DSC_2028_zps6hszihna.jpg

We have a LOT more photos on our trip report, if you want to follow along.

Last edited:
We are at PVB and we have a very good view. We are on the third floor almost in the middle of Moorea. When we walked into the villa, we could see Cinderella's Castle. Even when I sit on the edge of the bed I can see the Castle.

The ferry horns have not been an issue. They have not disturbed our sleep at all.

Our room is in great shape and very clean. I noticed that one of the throw pillows on the couch was missing the cloth cover on one of its decorative buttons, so I can't say the villa is in pristine condition. I guess PVB won't get a 5-star rating this year.

I discovered one thing that might be a maintenance issue, or it might be a engineered safety feature. The electrical outlet in the bathroom with the shower is on the same circuit as the light switch. When I turn off the bathroom light, it cuts the electricity running to the outlet. No big deal, except that we use an electric toothbrush and I plugged the toothbrush's charging stand into that outlet. When I turned off the bathroom light, the toothbrush wasn't recharging. Maybe the outlet is designed that way so that someone doesn't leave a curling iron plugged in and running when they leave the room? I'll raise this issue with maintenance before we check out.

Here are a couple view photos from our villa:

DSC_2001_zpshwvlgefm.jpg

DSC_2028_zps6hszihna.jpg

We have a LOT more photos on our trip report, if you want to follow along.

Now that's a great view, have a wonderful vacation!

Just got home from there. This was our view from the third floor of Tokelau (standard view). We were happy to not be facing the pool construction, although that seems to be moving along nicely and will be lovely when completed. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and hope you do, too! View attachment 130720
Was this a studio? If so what was the number? We are staying standard view in May and would like to know what to request

I think that the cleaning issues are property wide. Could be a protected union thing, the fact that the workers are in a non-tipped status or the fact that many are temporary non citizens recruited from foreign countries to keep Disney's costs down.

I forget. Didn't DVC (and maybe Disney) outsource housekeeping years ago?

Thank you. Any guesses why Disney decides some resorts get great housekeeping (GF/VGF) and others have years of problems?

I'd guess it's more the individual resort management and what they each determine is acceptable? But we had trash "leftovers" outside of our VGF villa a couple of years ago. Our entire stay of 4 nights.

My experience is that GF/VGF is run like a higher end resort. At the front desk at the GF you are greeted by a line of CM's, supervisors and managers answering questions and introducing you to the front desk CM's. Any issues after check in are met with a faster response and often a visit by a supervisor or manager.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter