Poly Royal Adventure.ClubLevelBaby!5/14 DIAGON ALLEY BONUS Finale 7/15

Wonderful Trip Report! I had fun reading it! Thanks for sharing! Also- the cookie cutout mickey's your hubby made look awesome!

Wonderful Trip Report! I had fun reading it! Thanks for sharing! Also- the cookie cutout mickey's your hubby made look awesome!

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it! Those cookies were amazing. I think anything Mickey-shaped just seems to taste better!

Surprise!!! That is what I kept saying to myself this past week. After our glorious May trip, we did not plan to be back to Orlando for another 5 months. I was busy planning the September trip, thinking about costumes for MNSSHP and preparing my FP-must haves list.

Will and I each took July 2nd and 3rd off and our offices were both closed the 4th. We had no plans on going out of town. However, I do love amusement parks and I suggested we drive to Williamsburg to go to Busch Gardens. But then we factored in the over 2 hour drive and staying in a hotel and I joked that we could get to Orlando quicker than driving to Williamsburg. By then the wheels were turning in my head and the vacation train of my imagination had left the station!!

Since we were already thinking about big coasters at Busch Gardens, I suggested we think about giving Universal a try. Will and I had both been to US as teenagers with our families eons and eons ago. No WWoHP back then!! I knew Diagon Alley would not be opening until the July 8th, so maybe the crowds would not be insane. LOL...low crowds for July 4th week. Righttttt. It is amazing the things I can tell myself when I want something!

So plan was for 3 nights at Royal Pacific Resort on Universal property (to take advantage of Unlimited Express Pass). I thought 2 days of parks and then just rest on the 4th. I looked into activities in the US area for the 4th and there did not seem to be any! I was like well, gwarsh, I know the Magic Kingdom is going to have one heck of a fireworks display. Wouldn’t it be cool to be in that area? So, I switched things up and decided 2 nights at Royal Pacific, and 1 night at a MK resort for July 4th!

WL had one room type available, and every other MK area resort was booked. So bunkbed room at WL it was!!

Enough yappin’ from me and lets get started. This is a mini-TR as I did not take as many pictures and it was a short but VERY sweet trip.

Take Off day again!

I am glad I signed us up for JetBlue’s frequent flyer program a while back, because here we go again! Will and I worked Monday and Tuesday, and by Tuesday night were throwing things in a suitcase getting ready to go! Our usual JB flight leaves at 7am, but this time the one direct flight did not depart until 10:00am! Less time in the park, but more time for sleep.

We hopped in the car and were at the terminal in no time!

IMAGE_51.jpg

I decided to Universal-bound? Pacific-tropical-ish theme, for the Royal Pacific Resort! Or fake-Poly as I lovingly referred to it.

IMAGE_52.jpg

Quick, uneventful flight! Tropical Storm Author was brewing off the coast, which made for some dark storm clouds. Will and I loved it though! The rain really helped cool things off.

IMAGE_53.jpg

IMAGE_54.jpg

I pre-arranged transpo from MCO to Royal Pacific. In the brief time I had to research this, it seemed the cost of a cab and a shuttle were not that different. A shuttle could stop at multiple resorts and take around an hour and a half. Considering our flight was only an hour and a half, this seemed a little ridiculous! A cab was not much more expensive, but there is a risk of a long line to get a cab, especially on a holiday week. So, I opted for a towncar service! Fancy! We used Happy Limo, and there is a discount code on Mousesavers. LOVED it!

Marlow, from Happy Limo was there waiting with a sign! He was really nice (former Helicopter Pilot) and from exiting the airplane to walking into the lobby of the resort was less than 30 minutes!

We checked into the resort easily, and our room was ready. There are kiosks where you have your picture taken for your Express Passes. I had fun photo-bombing Will’s.

IMAGE_77.jpg

We dropped our stuff off in the room and made the short walk to the boat dock. A boat was there in 5 minutes and we were off to Universal!!

Looking forward to reading about your TR. I am intrested in taking the kids to Universal when we go back to Disney and would love to stay at Universals answer to a Polynesian hotel. So I will be looking forward to see what you thought about it. I so wish I lived closer. We live in Central Illinois and the air fare is running about $500 right now. I have a chance to go to a confrence in October and would like to take a side trip to Disney for MNSSHP. Have you thought about what you guys are going to be for MNSSHP during your trip?

Awesome so excited to hear about this trip. I tried to convince DBF to drive down for the 4th but he just assumed I was joking. I totally wasn't though ha ha. We are staying a night at Universal at the beginning of our September trip. We went in January and loved it but didn't stay on site.

Looking forward to hearing more.

wow - what fun ... cool that you got this bonus trip in!

Hope everything works out - sounds like using the car service totally made sense given the shortish duration of your trip

WOW Elena, this really came out of nowhere!! How cool to do such an impromptu trip.

I would be concerned if you weren't staying at Uni on-site. But those Express Passes are pure gold.

Ha!! That's awesome! I love the thought of. A last minute Disney fix! Very thrifty travel!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Yay! We get to hear more!!! :woohoo::cheer2:

Our next trip I also want to spend at least one night at a US hotel. So I will be very interested.

Looking forward to reading about your TR. I am intrested in taking the kids to Universal when we go back to Disney and would love to stay at Universals answer to a Polynesian hotel. So I will be looking forward to see what you thought about it. I so wish I lived closer. We live in Central Illinois and the air fare is running about $500 right now. I have a chance to go to a confrence in October and would like to take a side trip to Disney for MNSSHP. Have you thought about what you guys are going to be for MNSSHP during your trip?

If your boys love roller coasters, they will definitely love the US parks! JetBlue has some really affordable flights, but Richmond is only a 1.5 hour flight away. I guess from the Mid-West the extra fuel needed adds on to the price! You'll just have to move! :thumbsup2

Haven't decided on costumes yet. In september it will be hot I assume, so that does limit some choices! Hope you get to check out MNNSHP!

Awesome so excited to hear about this trip. I tried to convince DBF to drive down for the 4th but he just assumed I was joking. I totally wasn't though ha ha. We are staying a night at Universal at the beginning of our September trip. We went in January and loved it but didn't stay on site.

Looking forward to hearing more.

You'll get to experience Gringotts and Diagon Alley in September! Lucky! The 4th has got to be one of the craziest, hottest times to go to WDW. But as true fans, we don't care, do we!:scared:

wow - what fun ... cool that you got this bonus trip in!

Hope everything works out - sounds like using the car service totally made sense given the shortish duration of your trip

The car service was amazing. I am now back in the real world where I have to drive myself places. Sighhhhh.

WOW Elena, this really came out of nowhere!! How cool to do such an impromptu trip.

I would be concerned if you weren't staying at Uni on-site. But those Express Passes are pure gold.

I usually have around 200 days to plan a trip and daydream about. This was under 2 weeks prep time!

The Express Pass was so cool!!! It was like a FP for basically everything. Might not be needed in a trip in January but came in handy for a holiday week!

Ha!! That's awesome! I love the thought of. A last minute Disney fix! Very thrifty travel!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I know a lot of people who stay for 2 weeks at Disney, and go like every other year. I could never take off that much time off from work in a row, so I love these little quick trips! Keeps the high going....:lmao:

Yay! We get to hear more!!! :woohoo::cheer2:

Our next trip I also want to spend at least one night at a US hotel. So I will be very interested.

We only got to explore the Royal Pacific, but there are 3 other choices. All really close and just a short boat ride to the parks! An those Express Passes are golden!!

We were starting to get in the hungry-angry-red-zone, and as happy as we were to be on vacation, we needed food stat. There are a lot less vegetarian choices in US at the quick service restaurants. I knew the Simpsons area had some choices though, so we headed there.

It seemed like a really long walk, but we were starving!!

IMAGE_55.jpg

IMAGE_57.jpg

I have NEVER WAITED SO LONG at a quick service restaurant in my entire life. We were there at 2pm, and the line took about 30 minutes TO ORDER!! Will got a pizza from Luigis and I got a Veggie Burger from Krusty Burger.

IpeP_P0JV4GBO5M0oAt9IJ1H0yZ07z2Fzk2Qn-RCY5Q=w407-h543-no

The food was actually delicious, but the line seriously took away from the experience.

We then went to get dessert (I had been dreaming of a Simpson's pink donut all week). The Universal...member? (I’ll refer to them as UMs) was pretty snippy about the donuts. I won’t go into it, but I was thinking how can you be angry when working with donuts!?!? Will is not a huge Simpsons fan and he thought she was actually “in character” as some angry-pastry shop employee! Nope! Just being herself!

IMAGE_59.jpg

IMAGE_60.jpg

IMAGE_61.jpg

I am very happy to say, after this, our trip only got better and better. Every other UM was extremely friendly and helpful! It was just an odd first 2 hours in the park.

I cannot remember the order of things, but we were off to a slow start. Basically we got a late lunch, dessert, and then I think we went to Starbucks for iced coffee while we waited out a storm. Eventually we made it to gasp...a ride!!

We started off with a bang, at the Mummy!!! I love this ride. It is a ride that is like park dark ride, and part coaster. Like a mix of HM and rock and roller coaster. Will had a backpack with him and we quickly learned, if you can help it, don’t bring any bags! The “free” lockers were a zoo. Though again, holiday week!

After going on the Mummy a few times, I wanted to back-track our way to the Men in Black ride.

We had to pass the Diagon Alley area though, and Hogwarts Express was open!!!!!! It was a “technical rehearsal”! Since we had 2-park, 2 day tickets, we were allowed to board. Diagon Alley was closed, but Kings Cross was amazing. It was only 15 minutes to board!!!

IMAGE_64.jpg

IMAGE_65.jpg

IMAGE_66.jpg

IMAGE_67.jpg

No photography was allowed on the train itself. It was both amazing and also, kind of oddly uncomfortable. You are sat in a small sized compartment with 8 people total. You are forced to face 4 other people. Before the train starts moving, there is no music, no announcements, just a very awkward silence.

Once you start moving, there is action in the hallway (frosty glass between your compartment and the hallway). I won’t give any spoilers, but it was cool! There are no real windows, so you are looking at a TV-window that is showing moving English country side. I have a tough stomach and cannot think of a time where I felt motion sickness. However, I found myself closing my eyes to try and settle myself as it is an odd feeling!

The whole trip is pretty short and entertaining, and before you can say pygmy puff, we were at Hogsmeade! The rain had dried up and now the sun was out in force. We ducked in some shops and ended up at Three Broomsticks. I love all things Butterscotch so I was so excited to try a frozen Butterbeer!

IMAGE_68.jpg

IMAGE_69.jpg

I was amazed!!!!!!!! So gooood!!!!! Especially since I was so hot, it just cooled me off!

Since the wait for Forbidden Journey was something comical at this point in the day, we went to Jurassic Park next. I again had our ponchos! The ride is pretty fun and the TRex at the end was amazing!! I tried so hard to stay dry, but again got splashed.

We walked around after the ride, drying off and made it to the Amazing Spiderman. Hard to describe this ride, as it is a combo of 3-D screens and dark room. One of my new favorites though!

Even though we had a lot of rides left unconquered, we were ready to head on out, and have a cool and dry place to have dinner. We ate at Antojitos on CityWalk and it was delicious.

IMAGE_74.jpg

We then hopped on a boat and were whisked away back to our resort. We explored the resort some and ended the night around their water feature where we talked and relaxed for quite a while.

IMAGE_70.jpg

IMAGE_75.jpg

We then headed off to our room to wash up and get ready for our first full day!

Holy cow!!! An impromptu trip to Universal!!!!! Your 3 Florida trips are so close together - I'm living vicariously!!! :)

I'm a big Universal fan in addition to Disney, so I'm along for the ride! We're going to Universal to see Diagon Alley in October. Your Hogwarts Express report is making me sooo excited!!!

Weird that the donut Team Member (incidentally Universal employees are called Team Members) had an attitude problem, but glad it was only better from there!! Yay for the Mummy, frozen butter beer and Spiderman!! It's amazing to think how much you got done so soon after landing at MCO!

Enjoying your report!! :)

I'm sure the long wait was due to the high volume season. We ate there in January and it was empty. We had to wait super long for a Duff Beer and I think that's because we didn't speak up when all the workers were faced the opposite way. I try to be very patient and not say much.

Oh my that donut looks awesome. Donuts are my true weakness. I have no willpower for them.

Yay! So glad you got to ride Hogwarts Express. I am a huge Harry Potter fan and I can't wait to see Diagon Alley. Hogsmeade blew me away when we visited. And I just know I'm going to have a hard time separating from it in September.

Spider-man is one of my favorites. I think we rode it like 4 times in January.

Loving the update. I love Universal. Don't get my wrong Disney is my ultimate happy place and I can't wait to get back but there is just something about Universal that draws me in as well.

How fun to get a quick holiday weekend trip in! I haven't been to Universal for quite awhile and I know it's changed considerably.

Last Monday night, NBC aired an hour long special focusing on the building of Diagon Alley and Hogwarts Express. It was really interesting and I would like to figure out a way to work that in on our next Disney trip.

Looking forward to reading more!

This is so cool! An impromptu trip to Orlando! We're hoping to visit Universal next June when we will be in Orlando for 10 days and stay a couple of nights on-site so your mini-trip report is providing a nice preview. :thumbsup2

And being a Simpsons fan, that pink donut is just spot on.

Great job on the photobomb! :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter